A New York City cop with a heart of gold

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23554071
United States
11/29/2012 06:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
A New York City cop with a heart of gold
With all the bad and sometimes valid criticism thrown cops way, sometimes something good that a cop does seems to miss the nightly news.

Here is a story about a NYC cop waling his beat when he comes across a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk with no shoes and the temperature outside is at the freezing point.

This is a snippet of the story. Click on the link to read the whole story.

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A New York City police officer’s act of kindness has gone viral.

Tourist Jennifer Foster, of Arizona, took a snapshot of Officer Larry DePrimo giving a barefoot man a new pair of all-weather boots and thermal socks in Times Square on Nov. 14." ....."DePrimo was stationed at his foot post at the corner of 44th Street and Broadway the frigid night when he noticed an elderly homeless man, shoeless, on the sidewalk.".....The officer, 25, went to the Sketchers shoe store nearby and purchased $100 all-weather boots and socks for the man.

“When I brought out the shoes, it was just a smile from ear to ear, so it was absolutely amazing,” DePrimo told WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond. [link to newyork.cbslocal.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 23554071
United States
11/29/2012 06:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: A New York City cop with a heart of gold
Thanks for the 2 5-stars, who ever you are.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5110157
United States
11/29/2012 06:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
hf

bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28729734
United States
11/29/2012 06:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok, so did they fit, or not?
geminilion

User ID: 12895036
United States
11/29/2012 07:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
I saw this earlier...very nice story. I like to see feel good stories like this..thanks for posting.
..."The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way."
Heraclitus
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28729734
United States
11/29/2012 07:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's pretty sad to see this being made such a big deal tho, think about it.

People do these acts of kindness everyday and sometimes even get arrested for it.

Now that a cop does it, he's some kind of hero?

Since when are cops not human beings?

Hats off to the man that provided footwear to a fellow human of earth, not the cop.
ladyannie2009

User ID: 28650292
United States
11/29/2012 08:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
what a genuinely kind man he must be...goes above & beyond the call of duty

thanks for posting, OP... hf

kindness
"the truth will stand up, when nothing else will"
- annie's mom

"When a great ship is in harbor and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for."
- Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 142629
New Zealand
11/29/2012 08:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good man
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14648539
United States
11/29/2012 09:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
As soon as the cameras stopped filming it is reported that he later beat the man to death with his nightstick

siren2gotbopsiren2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1370992
Canada
11/29/2012 09:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
That's like giving a pair of shoes to God! Yep! your right, that is man of Heart of Gold.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28485923
Canada
11/29/2012 09:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
cop or not
what a beautiful thing to do for someone in need

bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28750409
United States
11/29/2012 09:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
As we say in Dixie, "His momma raised him right"!! Stay safe kind sir. Bless you and yours.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28716894
Germany
11/29/2012 09:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
nobody act the same way like the cop but it goes viral!!!???
with thousand of likes at facebook....
people on facebook! don´t talk, help poor people!!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19396116
United States
11/29/2012 09:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
What are the odds a man with no shoes is beside a shoe store?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27852969
United States
11/29/2012 09:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

As soon as the cameras stopped filming it is reported
that he later beat the man to death with his nightstick

siren2gotbopsiren2
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14648539

Thus proving no good deed goes unpunished, including helping a
worthless bum who probably lives a government-supported soup
kitchens and would vote for Obama if he wasn't drunk under the bridge.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1193674
United States
11/29/2012 09:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate to say this, but it feels like this story is a plant.

He went and bought a hundred dollar pair of boots for a man that didn't have any, sleeping next to a shoes store, eyeballed his foot size (or got the largest size they had?) and then had the whole story immortalized by a would be reporter on the street?

How did the whole story get out? How did the woman know to wait to get the shot?

Could it be coincidence that this happened right at the beginning of the Christmas season?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen by chance,it's just interesting how much of this would have to be played with normally to get it all to line up.

Well, regardless, I hope that the guy got his free pair of boots from it and that it was real in that way.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15292827
United States
11/29/2012 09:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
not to mention the shameless Sketchers plug.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22898919
United Kingdom
11/29/2012 09:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
5* & if true this cop do have a heart of diamond.

hf
Simple_Man

User ID: 15977994
United States
11/29/2012 09:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's pretty sad to see this being made such a big deal tho, think about it.

People do these acts of kindness everyday and sometimes even get arrested for it.

Now that a cop does it, he's some kind of hero?

Since when are cops not human beings?

Hats off to the man that provided footwear to a fellow human of earth, not the cop.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28729734

Your perspective on this sad

The cop didnt even know somebody was watching him

Anytime a human being helps another human being in need espically when he or she does it when nobody is looking or nobody knows about it is what this life is truly about

1 greatest commandment...love The Lord your God with all your heart,mind and soul

2 greatest commandment ....love you neighbor(fellow human being) as you love yourself

Last Edited by Simple_Man on 11/29/2012 09:48 PM
Thor's Hamster

User ID: 1248699
United States
11/29/2012 09:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great to see things like this! :) Good find and post. 5*s.
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
Thor's Hamster

User ID: 1248699
United States
11/29/2012 09:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok, so did they fit, or not?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28729734

LOL!!!!!
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
hbsm
User ID: 27406243
United States
11/29/2012 09:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
What fucken bullshit! yeah there is a homeless guy with no fucken shoes next to a sketchers,and cop of the year just happens to see him and buy him some fucking shoes?give me a fucking break,he said "‘it’s OK officer…I’ve never had a pair of shoes" what a fucken bum!!he cant cut into the money he panhandles for vodka and crack and go to the thrift store and buy a 4$ pair of mother fucken shoes?
This shit is so staged you have to be an idiot to buy it
Kirk

User ID: 25384388
United States
11/29/2012 09:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
With all the bad and sometimes valid criticism thrown cops way, sometimes something good that a cop does seems to miss the nightly news.

Here is a story about a NYC cop waling his beat when he comes across a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk with no shoes and the temperature outside is at the freezing point.

This is a snippet of the story. Click on the link to read the whole story.

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A New York City police officer’s act of kindness has gone viral.

Tourist Jennifer Foster, of Arizona, took a snapshot of Officer Larry DePrimo giving a barefoot man a new pair of all-weather boots and thermal socks in Times Square on Nov. 14." ....."DePrimo was stationed at his foot post at the corner of 44th Street and Broadway the frigid night when he noticed an elderly homeless man, shoeless, on the sidewalk.".....The officer, 25, went to the Sketchers shoe store nearby and purchased $100 all-weather boots and socks for the man.

“When I brought out the shoes, it was just a smile from ear to ear, so it was absolutely amazing,” DePrimo told WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond. [link to newyork.cbslocal.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23554071

Why couldn't my daughter marry someone like him instead of the POS she did?
Government is a body largely ungoverned.
Digital mix guy

User ID: 18487315
United States
11/29/2012 10:00 PM

Report Abusive Post
awesome!! 5*
Have no fear, Spock is here!!! LLAP
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9894490
United States
11/29/2012 10:00 PM
Report Abusive Post

He went and bought a hundred dollar pair of boots for a man that didn't have any, sleeping next to a shoes store, eyeballed his foot size (or got the largest size they had?) and then had the whole story immortalized by a would be reporter on the street?

How did the whole story get out? How did the woman know to wait to get the shot?

Could it be coincidence that this happened right at the beginning of the Christmas season?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen by chance,it's just interesting how much of this would have to be played with normally to get it all to line up.

Well, regardless, I hope that the guy got his free pair of boots from it and that it was real in that way.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1193674

I am impressed that you were still able to conjure up some grand conspiracy behind such a simple story as this.

And I'm with you. People think cops are generally assholes because they see HUNDREDS of videos of people getting their asses handed to them by cops all over the rest of the internet.

In order for them to get more money in sales taxes all the gov would have to do is make themselves look good? Sounds like a win win for them.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6704247
United States
11/29/2012 10:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
mute & play:

play:
DGN

User ID: 27870140
United States
11/29/2012 10:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
The good Samaritan... this cop is
"But, wanting to prove himself righteous, the man said to Jesus: “Who really is my neighbor?” 30 In reply Jesus said: “A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jercho and fell among robbers, who both stripped him and inflicted blows, and went off, leaving him half-dead. 31 Now, by coincidence, a certain priest was going down over that road, but, when he saw him, he went by on the opposite side. 32 Likewise, a Levite also, when he got down to the place and saw him, went by on the opposite side. 33 But a certain Samaritan traveling the road came upon him and, at seeing him, he was moved with pity. 34 So he approached him and bound up his wounds, pouring oil and wine upon them. Then he mounted him upon his own beast and brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 And the next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him, and whatever you spend besides this, I will repay you when I come back here.’ 36 Who of these three seems to you to have made himself neighbor to the man that fell among the robbers?” 37 He said: “The one that acted mercifully toward him.” Jesus then said to him: “Go your way and be doing the same yourself.” Lk10:29
Truthache

User ID: 1465537
United States
11/29/2012 10:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
not to mention the shameless Sketchers plug.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15292827

Hmmmmm....

Yeah, I'm all on board with helping the shoeless homeless and I certainly don't mind honest and humble acts of good hearted people.

What I mind is the media extravaganza behind it. THAT gives me the creeps and makes me wonder if it is somehow staged or deliberately promoted for a purpose.

Also the quote..."It's okay officer I've never had a pair of shoes but God bless you and thank you for what you are doing"

Really? He can speak. He can walk. He can navigate the streets and he's alive all these years and managing to live to be a huge grown man without ever having a pair of shoes?

Sorry but that is over the top and for whatever reason it makes my spidey senses tingle.

As the heartstrings resonate, this story still somehow registers dissonance and it saddens me rather than gladdens me.
in warm pursuit...
whitedove38583

User ID: 28752407
United States
11/29/2012 10:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
aww, thanks for this post.

the police department i volunteer time with, the sheriff he gets brand new bicycles and gives it out to kids living in the housing projects. he does this every year. not all police officers are bad, there are at times some bad ones but there are much more good ones then bad.

its great ton come to a site like this and read some good things every once in a while.

thanks for this heart warming postred_heart
whitedove38583
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27174024
United States
11/29/2012 10:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1193674

Set up to make us love our overlords like they love us. Here are some shoes. Y don't you have shoes in the first place? Were these Obama shoes?
Lindalee

User ID: 28645452
United States
11/29/2012 10:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone who sees that story, goes out and buys a pair of shoes or boots for a homeless person this Christmas ?

hfhfhf
Circling the Sun @ 63,000 MPH
<3

GLP