Better call the police then, lady.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24537691
Canada
11/30/2012 07:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: A New York City cop with a heart of gold
It's pretty sad to see this being made such a big deal tho, think about it.

People do these acts of kindness everyday and sometimes even get arrested for it.

Now that a cop does it, he's some kind of hero?

Since when are cops not human beings?

Hats off to the man that provided footwear to a fellow human of earth, not the cop.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28729734

Not always.

Sometimes we celebrate those that give out of kindness.

Thread: Good Samaritan literally gives the shoes off his feet during his work shift...

Giving away shoes to homeless man is second nature to Good Samaritan

It's nice to read a good story about a cop for a change.

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17090286
United States
11/30/2012 07:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
With all the bad and sometimes valid criticism thrown cops way, sometimes something good that a cop does seems to miss the nightly news.

Here is a story about a NYC cop waling his beat when he comes across a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk with no shoes and the temperature outside is at the freezing point.

This is a snippet of the story. Click on the link to read the whole story.

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A New York City police officer’s act of kindness has gone viral.

Tourist Jennifer Foster, of Arizona, took a snapshot of Officer Larry DePrimo giving a barefoot man a new pair of all-weather boots and thermal socks in Times Square on Nov. 14." ....."DePrimo was stationed at his foot post at the corner of 44th Street and Broadway the frigid night when he noticed an elderly homeless man, shoeless, on the sidewalk.".....The officer, 25, went to the Sketchers shoe store nearby and purchased $100 all-weather boots and socks for the man.

“When I brought out the shoes, it was just a smile from ear to ear, so it was absolutely amazing,” DePrimo told WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond. [link to newyork.cbslocal.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23554071

Public relations stunt...?

tomato
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28772827

Yep
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1549920
United States
11/30/2012 07:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
this is on the news right now

my father is crying like a bitch
StormeyGoddess

User ID: 22004193
United States
11/30/2012 07:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
You know things are REALLY BAD when something like this gets tons of mainstream focus.

Think about it - people are really THAT SURPRISED that a cop actually SERVED AND PROTECTED a citizen? People probably would expect the average police officer to have maced the poor man or arrested him for trespassing.

This shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone, this video shouldn't be spread around so widely - it should be COMMON behavior. SERVE AND PROTECT.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26764444

^^^^THIS^^^^^

I said something like this a couple of days ago. Those willing to help each other will fare way better than those who want to survive alone when TSHTF...We all need to do what we can for our fellow human beings...AND this act of kindness should be a normal occurrence, not something we're all so shocked by.

BTW, statistically, the homeless are often people who had jobs and lost them...Look at the economy right now. Most homeless are people who worked all their lives, lost their jobs and had their homes foreclosed on. It's a sad, sad thing that happens all the time...Don't be so judgmental and cold, guys, this could be anyone of us at anytime...
"Don't look back, you're not going that way."

"As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14286934
United States
11/30/2012 08:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
I hate to say this, but it feels like this story is a plant.

He went and bought a hundred dollar pair of boots for a man that didn't have any, sleeping next to a shoes store, eyeballed his foot size (or got the largest size they had?) and then had the whole story immortalized by a would be reporter on the street?

How did the whole story get out? How did the woman know to wait to get the shot?

Could it be coincidence that this happened right at the beginning of the Christmas season?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen by chance,it's just interesting how much of this would have to be played with normally to get it all to line up.

Well, regardless, I hope that the guy got his free pair of boots from it and that it was real in that way.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1193674

THIS^^^^ ITS FUCKING OBVIOUS TO ANYONE WITH A BRAIN, THEY OWN THE MEDIA, OBVIOUSLY A FUCKING PLANT MAN THIS JUST RECONFIRMS HOW STUPID EVERYONE IS THAT BELIEVES THIS SHIT!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28774833
Germany
11/30/2012 08:19 AM
Report Abusive Post

He went and bought a hundred dollar pair of boots for a man that didn't have any, sleeping next to a shoes store, eyeballed his foot size (or got the largest size they had?) and then had the whole story immortalized by a would be reporter on the street?

How did the whole story get out? How did the woman know to wait to get the shot?

Could it be coincidence that this happened right at the beginning of the Christmas season?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen by chance,it's just interesting how much of this would have to be played with normally to get it all to line up.

Well, regardless, I hope that the guy got his free pair of boots from it and that it was real in that way.

THIS^^^^ ITS FUCKING OBVIOUS TO ANYONE WITH A BRAIN, THEY OWN THE MEDIA, OBVIOUSLY A FUCKING PLANT MAN THIS JUST RECONFIRMS HOW STUPID EVERYONE IS THAT BELIEVES THIS SHIT!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14286934

It was filmed by a tourist from Arizona.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/30/2012 08:21 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28774833

who just happens to be a 911 operator. Should really mention that.
geminilion

User ID: 12895036
United States
11/30/2012 08:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
its winter and all i have for shoes are sandals
 Quoting: ttowngirl

So you are too poor to buy a pair of shoes T? You can go sit outside of Payless with your sandals, maybe you'll get lucky.
..."The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way."
Heraclitus
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26985611
Sweden
11/30/2012 08:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Strange but it could have been staged like many of you say. It very hard to pick a pair of shoes (or clothes) by mere eye, for me it always takes at least 3o minutes to find fitting shoes, it shouldn't be too small OR too big either.

If I was about to help a shoeless person I would be forced to invite the guy into the shop and let him try on some shoes until he finds a fitting one. The cop should work as a shoe salesman always picking the correct sizes, haha.

A heart-touching, beautiful staged event here, lol!
Anonymous Coward
Germany
11/30/2012 08:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
its winter and all i have for shoes are sandals
 Quoting: ttowngirl

So you are too poor to buy a pair of shoes T? You can go sit outside of Payless with your sandals, maybe you'll get lucky.
 Quoting: geminilion

She's always begging here.
Anonymous Coward
Germany
11/30/2012 08:36 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Leslie Zevo

So the cop, the department, a tourist from AZ, and Skechers all cooked this up for publicity?

I am as cynical as the next, but I think this is just what it was.

Although I do believe the guy quickly sold those boots for $$.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/30/2012 08:54 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Leslie Zevo

So the cop, the department, a tourist from AZ, and Skechers all cooked this up for publicity?

I am as cynical as the next, but I think this is just what it was.

Although I do believe the guy quickly sold those boots for $$.

I doubt sketchers had anything to do with it. The department, cop (which falls under the department), and 911 operator "tourist" on the other hand... sure. Propaganda conspiracies can and do happen, quite often. History is all the proof you need.

Now if you want REAL proof of a good cop, watch the video of the cop at the airport enforcing the first amendment.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28276165
Netherlands
11/30/2012 09:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
With all the bad and sometimes valid criticism thrown cops way, sometimes something good that a cop does seems to miss the nightly news.

Here is a story about a NYC cop waling his beat when he comes across a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk with no shoes and the temperature outside is at the freezing point.

This is a snippet of the story. Click on the link to read the whole story.

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A New York City police officer’s act of kindness has gone viral.

Tourist Jennifer Foster, of Arizona, took a snapshot of Officer Larry DePrimo giving a barefoot man a new pair of all-weather boots and thermal socks in Times Square on Nov. 14." ....."DePrimo was stationed at his foot post at the corner of 44th Street and Broadway the frigid night when he noticed an elderly homeless man, shoeless, on the sidewalk.".....The officer, 25, went to the Sketchers shoe store nearby and purchased $100 all-weather boots and socks for the man.

“When I brought out the shoes, it was just a smile from ear to ear, so it was absolutely amazing,” DePrimo told WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond. [link to newyork.cbslocal.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23554071

cruise

This is the nature of the racist FERAL WHITE CAVE DWELLERS WHO INHABIT THE NYPD

dont be fooled by the actions of the white beast. What are the odds of one of these pigs giving help and a camera being around at the same time. Give me a fucking break.
StormeyGoddess

User ID: 22004193
United States
11/30/2012 10:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
I for one, believe the story, but who cares if it was staged or not? I believe the point here is that we should all look after each other. If you see someone without shoes or clothes or food and you have the means to do so, be generous. That's how I raise my kids.

Case in point, my 8 year old packed a bag of newer looking toys to donate to "needy" kids...when I tried to explain to him that WE are the needy, he got pissed off at me, explained every reason why we're NOT needy and took the toys to school. He also packed up some of our canned goods to take with him...and i don't think there is anything I could have down to stop him short of beating him into submission, lmao...

(We are needy, lol...my husband walked out on us in september, i didn't have a job at the time, we have no food in the house, etc.) (I got my first paycheck today, am getting caught up on all the bills that the husband so graciously hasn't paid, grr and am taking care of things, btw)

Try explaining that to an 8 year old. My point is that we should be helping other people. There is always someone who is worse off than you...
"Don't look back, you're not going that way."

"As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”
whitedove38583

User ID: 28823592
United States
12/01/2012 12:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Random acts of kindness are what we need more of us in this world. Can be as simple as a heartfelt- genuine nod/smile/non judgemental acknowledgement of anothers plight. Maybe food, clothing, shelter spiritually given with no utter thought regarding one'sgrouphug ego... Respecting another fellow brother/sister whilst honoring their inherent "beingness" and dignity is something to consider as well.

Bottom line, is that we are "truly in this" altogether.
 Quoting: manyeagles

you are 100% correct and everywhere one might go and you think you are really bad off if you look around you will find someone worse off then you are. this thanksgiving i helped deliver 987 turkey dinners, and now that christmas is coming up i have not got anyhing myself, not even a tree but i do have an extra 20 dollars and there is a guy living in a camper, no running water, no lights, he burns kerosine lamp and has wood for to keep warm so i asked online if the county has a local place where i could maybe pick him up a christmas basket, still could not find out where to sign him up with very little info on him except his name so my 20 dollars i am gonna go buy him a basket and a nice card cause i feel bad for him. i have a 1967 camper that is failing in but yet he is much more worse off then me because he has no lights, 1 set of clothes, no running water so in reality even though i may think i am poor i am really rich becvause i have a little more then him. and another thing its not just these holidays, we should do this year round you know, most people want to only give around christmas but we all need to help the less fortunant year round! just sending a card could mean a lot to someone down on their luckred_heart
whitedove38583

GLP