Need help from GLP tech geeks

pretty much clueless
User ID: 12432310
United States
11/30/2012 05:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Need help from GLP tech geeks
Has anyone heard of the technology used for opening garage doors via remote control?

I received an e-mail from my local police chief that states:

"On Monday evening around 8 PM, several resident of the ****** area reported their garage doors opening by some unknown means.

Possibly related to this was a light blue smaller pick-up that was seen driving slowly within the neighborhood two nights prior, possibly looking for crimes of opportunity, such as home burglaries, thefts, etc.

Some older garage doors have fixed frequency codes, and the newer ones have rotating frequency codes. Don't assume that because you have the newer and better technology that the bad guys can't figure out a way to get those open."

Any ideas what this is about? Other than turning off the power to the garage door opener or putting the opener on 'lock' at all times? (Which means I could not open the garage door from outside at any time, via my remote, but maybe the bad guys still could?)

Are the bad guys accessing garage door frequency codes through a Radio Shack device or by some other exotic tech? 1dunno1

Thanks in advance. You guys rock.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28732226
United States
11/30/2012 05:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Need help from GLP tech geeks
They're driving around with dozens of openers and configuring them to work. I don't know. I'm not a geek. tounge
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/30/2012 06:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
They're driving around with dozens of openers and configuring them to work. I don't know. I'm not a geek. tounge
 Quoting: Rochelle

Thanks for your input but I need geek input here.
Judethz

User ID: 20521597
United Kingdom
11/30/2012 06:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Are the bad guys accessing garage door frequency codes through a Radio Shack device or by some other exotic tech? 1dunno1

Thanks in advance. You guys rock.
 Quoting: pretty much clueless 12432310

9teen I'm about as clueless as you are when it comes to tech stuff, but basically think of the entire frequency range as a yard or metre long ruler. Garage door openers operate on a 1/4th inch or so of it. So if your sending out dozens of signals every minute within that range, then it stands to reason that your going to open quite a few doors...then see whats in the garage worth stealing.

Convenience has it's price.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/30/2012 06:07 AM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks for your input but I need geek input here.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 12432310

Well that's my best guess. Ok all jokes aside they are using some sort of device that is "learning" the codes to the doors to open them, probably in hopes to get in a house. Like when you program your own door opener but in mass.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28770283
United States
11/30/2012 06:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
Most operate in the lower MHz ranges. A simple seek and send signal generator is used. If you're asking for the "how to". look elsewhere.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/30/2012 06:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
Most operate in the lower MHz ranges. A simple seek and send signal generator is used. If you're asking for the "how to". look elsewhere.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28770283

I'm asking how the bad guys have the 'how to'.

I'm just trying to protect my home from being invaded.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/30/2012 06:24 AM
Report Abusive Post

They're bad guys how do you think they got it? Unplug your door, lift manually.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21416459
United States
11/30/2012 06:29 AM
Report Abusive Post

They're bad guys how do you think they got it? Unplug your door, lift manually.

ROFL soooo funny, seriously people dont be so lazy
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/30/2012 06:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
As if the bad guys can't lift the door themselves. Duh.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/30/2012 06:48 AM
Report Abusive Post

Get a lock duh.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1557534
11/30/2012 06:51 AM
Report Abusive Post

Manufacturers were issing fixed frequencies and codes for emergency use of the door.
With enough time, anyone can determine the correct combination a manufacturer uses.
The remote is simple enough to recode to "point and click" going through a neighborhood.
And like most information, codes are passed between the bad guys.

Call your manufacturer to find out if you have any options or if you are even vulnerable.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/30/2012 06:55 AM
Report Abusive Post

Get a lock duh.

I have a lock. Ever hear of a drill?

Look, I appreciate all your advice, but the economy is making people desperate for cash. They'll do anything to make a quick buck.

Again, I just want to know if there's any way I prevent these guys from accessing my freakin' garage door opener frequency and opening the f*cking door!

Off to sleep now - restless as it will be.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28147705
United States
11/30/2012 07:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
any body has access to "the technology". its called a radio. there's also the possibility the truck (assuming they actually have anything to do with it) is driven by somebody who has electronics skills, and they just purpose built a device. but, even more likely, how about they just have a sears remote, and just drive around hitting the button? the vast majority of door openers here in my area are sears, especially if the house is over 20 years old (the opener is likely to have been replaced). if there are 20 potential codes(freq/pulse combos) a rapid thumbing of the button will result in several "hits" as you drive slowly through a close packed residential area. if the door opens, the driveway and garage are both empty, and some reasonably valuable, easily loadable swag is evident, bingo. a pair of remotes would increase the likelihood of a "hit", and still be fairly easy to manipulate. there is also the possibility that it has happened completely innocently. i used to drive cabs that used trunk system radios back in the late 80s, and keying the mic in close proximity to toyota and nissan vehicles with a factory alarm system would trigger them. a further possibility is some source completely unrelated to the pickup was the culprit, and the poor fool just happened to be looking for an address at an inopportune moment. the only real defense is to unplug the opener. if you live close to an airforce base, that could actually be the culprit, as over the years ive heard of spontaneous operation of groups of openers at the same time, ALWAYS near such a base.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28147705
United States
11/30/2012 07:36 AM
Report Abusive Post

Get a lock duh.

I have a lock. Ever hear of a drill?

Look, I appreciate all your advice, but the economy is making people desperate for cash. They'll do anything to make a quick buck.

Again, I just want to know if there's any way I prevent these guys from accessing my freakin' garage door opener frequency and opening the f*cking door!

Off to sleep now - restless as it will be.

ok, that is just about the most paranoid idea ive ever heard. do you honestly think a residential burglar with even a single operating braincell is going to drill a garage door lock? as rapid an operation as it can be, there is NO legitimate non-suspicious reason for somebody to be drilling your lock out. anybody seeing it would immediately be suspicious, especially if you werent in evidence.it's a small pickup. that means 2 people at most. not a stickup team, but burglar/s. there is no guarantee (because of the rolling codes) that your door opening today will also open tomorrow. it's an opportunity crime. IF the door opens, there are no cars, and there is an easily loadable money maker in evidence (lawnmower, snap-on toolbox, bunch of power tools, etc) it offers the opportunity of a 2 minute in and out haul. such an opportunity gives a reasonable expectation of success. the fact that it occurred on a monday evening, at 8pm (a time/day combination where the majority of homes ARE likely to be occupied), is actually indicative of an unintentional triggering, or a couple of imbecile kids fucking around for shits and giggles. that said, just unplug your opener, and use the manual lock. give it a month, and if there is no incident in the area (or the perps get busted), it's reasonably safe to plug it back in. if you really want to go all paranoid/ fucktard about it, install a medico rim mount cylinder for your garage door lock (they are pretty much undrillable, and incredibly pick resistant).
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
11/30/2012 02:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the last two poster's advice. I appreciate it.

I spoke of a drill because because I live in a residential neighborhood that is in a rural area whereas a drill could be used at night - and quickly at that.

The radio frequency issue peaked my interest. I live near a naval shipyard. Several years ago a ship came into harbor with extensive electronic equipment on it and for two days nobody in a 20-mile radius could open their cars via their remotes.

So I'm thinking the best thing is unplug the opener, and lock the door from the outside. Plus maybe installing a motion detector and video surveillance camera system.

Then again, someone could break a window, and do a smash and grab job.

What a wake-up call in any case. shark

GLP