Challenge Question of the Week

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11288337
United States
12/01/2012 08:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Challenge Question of the Week
Name a group (any 2 or more individuals) who shares the most accurate and honest description of reality and life in this universe.

hmm

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7770532
United States
12/01/2012 08:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Challenge Question of the Week
Tao
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11265661
United States
12/01/2012 08:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Tao
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7770532

Tao or Dao or is a Chinese word meaning 'way', 'path', 'route', or sometimes more loosely, 'doctrine' or 'principle'. Within the context of traditional Chinese philosophy and religion, Tao is a metaphysical concept originating with Laozi that gave rise to a religion (Wade–Giles, Tao Chiao; Pinyin, Daojiao) and philosophy (Wade–Giles, Tao chia; Pinyin, Daojia) referred to in English with the single term Taoism. The concept of Tao was later adopted in Confucianism, Chán and Zen Buddhism and more broadly throughout East Asian philosophy and religion in general. Within these contexts Tao signifies the primordial essence or fundamental nature of the universe. In the foundational text of Taoism, the Tao Te Ching, Laozi explains that Tao is not a 'name' for a 'thing' but the underlying natural order of the universe whose ultimate essence is difficult to circumscribe. Tao is thus "eternally nameless” (Dao De Jing-32. Laozi) and to be distinguished from the countless 'named' things which are considered to be its manifestations.
 Quoting: Wikipedia

I like the all encompassing nature of Taoism. And the fact that it has become so much more popular in the Western World over the past few decades. Plus it does not employ a definitive kind of philosophy like you find with so many other shared belief systems. thumbs

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28604765
United States
12/01/2012 08:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Name a group (any 2 or more individuals) who shares the most accurate and honest description of reality and life in this universe.

hmm

------
 Quoting: BOWMAN

Neil deGrasse Tyson.
[link to www.haydenplanetarium.org]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28709988
Australia
12/01/2012 08:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Father Lord God All Powerful, and my brother Jesus Christ.
hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11340266
United States
12/01/2012 08:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to youtu.be]

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson claims the title "scientist" above all other "ists." And yet, he says he is "constantly claimed by atheists." So where does he stand? "Neil deGrasse, widely claimed by atheists, is actually an agnostic."
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 533330

Thread: GOOD VIDEO CLIP-Neil deGrasse Tyson: Atheist or Agnostic?

hmm

------

Neil deGrasse Tyson.
[link to www.haydenplanetarium.org]
 Quoting: *Aurora*

You know, I really didn't take to this guy at first because I initially felt that he was sorta riding Sagan's coattails in his whole approach. He seemed to mimic him too much. But he is just one guy so although he would not be qualified as an answer to the threads question, I did enjoy the video above where he explains about his independent way of thinking. I like him a lot more now.

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28665570
United States
12/01/2012 08:41 AM
Report Abusive Post

hmm

------

No one on THIS planet chuckle
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11340266
United States
12/01/2012 08:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh, and just wanted to give a shout out to 'Family Fued' for inspiring this thread. hf

------
Only Me
Strawberry Girl

User ID: 24516821
United States
12/01/2012 08:47 AM

Report Abusive Post
GLP of course
Goodbye, halcyon days...

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory mentioned, which states that this has already happened.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3993126
India
12/01/2012 08:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
vedanta....especially the upanishads
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/01/2012 08:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
Father Lord God All Powerful, and my brother Jesus Christ.
hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28709988

Christianity (from the Ancient Greek: Christianos and the Latin suffix -itas) is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in canonical gospels and other New Testament writings. It also considers the Hebrew Bible, which is known as the Old Testament, to be canonical. Adherents of the Christian faith are known as Christians.

The mainstream Christian belief is that Jesus is the Son of God, fully divine and fully human and the savior of humanity. Because of this, Christians commonly refer to Jesus as Christ or Messiah. Jesus' ministry, sacrificial death, and subsequent resurrection are often referred to as the Gospel, meaning "Good News" (from the Greek: euangélion). In short, the Gospel is news of God the Father's eternal victory over evil, and the promise of salvation and eternal life for all people, through divine grace.

Most popular answer on the board.

Understandings of Christianity range from the overly simplistic and dogmatic to much more deeper and interconnected realizations that tie into other fields of study and belief systems. I think the main division though within Christianity, which has sects that range a spectrum of conservatism and liberalism, is in the approach people take as far as Jesus is concerned. Was he looking for your worship OR was he trying to teach you something?

------
K.Kool

User ID: 22558415
Australia
12/01/2012 09:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Catholic.

Jesus came to teach, though not only that..
I don't think teaching deserves worship,
it is not for that I worship..
how could I not worship a god who came to the planet, to suffer an agonizing death, so that we could live for eternity?

hi Bowman

Last Edited by #KK# on 12/01/2012 09:19 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11319423
United States
12/01/2012 09:18 AM
Report Abusive Post

hmm

------

No one on THIS planet chuckle
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28665570

Not the absolute, but the most honest and accurate of what's here. thumbs

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26237455
United States
12/01/2012 09:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Pen & Teller

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11216569
United States
12/01/2012 09:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
GLP of course
 Quoting: Only Me

Heya OM. hugs

GLP is like a big block of potential that's made entirely of information and your job as the sculptor is to carve out all the non-essential and useless information to form your view of reality, with discernment* being your sculpting tool.

And, some posters here may subscribe to the fact that within GLP itself are 'groups' whom they might feel are on the cutting edge of getting to know our universe and the reality that it has to offer, I imagine.

*discernment skills may vary from poster to poster.

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15054427
United States
12/01/2012 09:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Beatles.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14010048
United States
12/01/2012 09:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
None. But I have discovered that if you live by the simple philosophy of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" & I add without expecting anything in return, life will be great. Simple, but effective.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26456664
United States
12/01/2012 09:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
im gonna go ahead and use a lifeline here i just dont know the answer.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11319423
United States
12/01/2012 09:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
Catholic.

how could I not worship a god who came to the planet, to suffer an agonizing death, so that we could live for eternity?

hi Bowman
 Quoting: K.Kool

Happy Saturday KK. hugs

I was never a Catholic KK, as my Christian experiences were always on the Protestant side, although we slid around a bit within it between JW's and the Born Again crowd.

I did date a Catholic girl once though. : )

Going to a Catholic service was a very intimidating experience for me because of all the ritual that was used and because I wasn't use to it I guess I felt a bit out of place. It had a very rigid feel to it to me.

It was a great surprise to me to learn later on in life just how involved the Catholics were in forming modern education and their involvement in the sciences, especially astronomy. But that part of it doesn't seem to get much publicity until very recently.

I have to admit KK that I have a lot of trouble dealing with forms of spiritual hierarchy. It comes down more to what I can genuinely respect or not. And I CAN respect Jesus' teachings, very much so. I wonder a lot about Jesus the man, and what his personality was really like.

------
Blue Skies

User ID: 19168576
United States
12/01/2012 10:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm going with the poster who said "no one on this planet"......Their is always room for error in any idea. I'm sure their are some that come close. All for different reasons :)
:kitten on fence:
K.Kool

Australia
12/01/2012 10:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Catholic.

hi Bowman
 Quoting: K.Kool

Happy Saturday KK. hugs

I was never a Catholic KK, as my Christian experiences were always on the Protestant side, although we slid around a bit within it between JW's and the Born Again crowd.

I did date a Catholic girl once though. : )

Going to a Catholic service was a very intimidating experience for me because of all the ritual that was used and because I wasn't use to it I guess I felt a bit out of place. It had a very rigid feel to it to me.

It was a great surprise to me to learn later on in life just how involved the Catholics were in forming modern education and their involvement in the sciences, especially astronomy. But that part of it doesn't seem to get much publicity until very recently.

I have to admit KK that I have a lot of trouble dealing with forms of spiritual hierarchy. It comes down more to what I can genuinely respect or not. And I CAN respect Jesus' teachings, very much so. I wonder a lot about Jesus the man, and what his personality was really like.

------

It was strange to me too, the form of the Mass, handed down for so many centuries, I grew up with no church, and only became a Catholic at 23.
Now that I understand the meanings behind the rituals, and have a history with them, they have become somewhat precious to me.
I don't think a hierarchy exists in a purely spiritual sense, but for a religion, it ties in the human world with the spiritual, and is necessary for organization and order.
Doesn't give anyone a priority to God, though.

I've always loved the fact that the Church won't compromise on the truth, won't be politically correct or go with the times in order to be popular or get more members.
She just is, resplendent through time, the bride of Christ.

I hadn't darkened the door of the church for a very long time, until fairly recently, and so I have a new found appreciation of her role in my life, and feel like I've come home.

Hmmm, the personality of Jesus, from his words, I can tell he was brilliant, from his actions, I'd say he was courageous and loving, but I know you want the juicy little details, lol.

Happy Saturday to you too!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11298011
United States
12/01/2012 10:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
Pen & Teller

hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26237455

Penn & Teller (Penn Jillette and Teller) are American illusionists and entertainers who have performed together since the late 1970s, and are known for their numerous stage and television shows. Their current Las Vegas show is an amalgam of illusion and comedy. Penn Jillette is a raconteur; Teller generally does not speak while performing, although his voice can occasionally be heard during their performance. They specialize in gory tricks, exposing frauds, and performing clever pranks. More recently they have become associated with atheism, scientific skepticism, and libertarianism, particularly through their television show Penn & Teller: Bullshit!.

Sometimes I love these guys and sometimes I hate them. It depends on what the subject is. But I think the wiki article is correct in associating them with the greater atheist mentality that has been a primary product of Western education. I like their grounding approach but because they are tied to this mentality they can get a bit over zealous and too conservative sometimes. Worth a bunch of lol's for sure.

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28843966
United Kingdom
12/01/2012 10:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
Mechanical = CERN

Reality = Me and Hector the talking tea pot.
Burt Gummer

User ID: 7702124
United States
12/01/2012 10:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP is trying to have GLP do his Philosophy 101 homework for him. ohyeah
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28826555
United States
12/01/2012 10:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Doctor (there's an infinite number of him so it's a group tounge)
aether

User ID: 28218601
United Kingdom
12/01/2012 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
hey bowman

there is the thought to prompt nassim harim and marko rodin to talk to each other
thinking from there rupert sheldrake has joined dave talbot and wal thornhill as dan winter did

include bruce lipton and through 2013 it may be that all 7 discover what they possess in common

which i believe will be of interest to everyone
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/01/2012 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Beatles.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15054427

Why not?

In terms of sharing meaning through artistry, who else has had a bigger impact on the footprint of how that is accomplished than the Fab Four? Music had become the most popular from of artistry in the 20th century and I think that is still the case today. So I don't think that it's any coincidence, that these guys challenged Jesus is terms of popularity. But I don't see it as a better than this or that kind of thing as it was portrayed in the media back in the '60's. To me the rise of the Beatles is more of a complimentary reprisal of the rise of Jesus. : )

[link to youtu.be]

hf

------
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/01/2012 10:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
None. But I have discovered that if you live by the simple philosophy of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" & I add without expecting anything in return, life will be great. Simple, but effective.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14010048

And I suspect that's there is more than just one of you out there.

peace

------
Burt Gummer

User ID: 7702124
United States
12/01/2012 10:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Beatles.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15054427

Why not?

In terms of sharing meaning through artistry, who else has had a bigger impact on the footprint of how that is accomplished than the Fab Four? Music had become the most popular from of artistry in the 20th century and I think that is still the case today. So I don't think that it's any coincidence, that these guys challenged Jesus is terms of popularity. But I don't see it as a better than this or that kind of thing as it was portrayed in the media back in the '60's. To me the rise of the Beatles is more of a complimentary reprisal of the rise of Jesus. : )

[link to youtu.be]

hf

------

Lennon went Commie / Harrison went hippie...the other 2 did not.

Not much common ground there.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25000137
Canada
12/01/2012 10:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Jesus Christ/ Agent Moulder
K.Kool

Australia
12/01/2012 10:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
If we're talking music, I have to say U2!

GLP