Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) Catagory 5 Super Typhoon Heading for the Philippines

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28786416
United States
12/03/2012 10:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) Catagory 5 Super Typhoon Heading for the Philippines
boro whats it like there now? where is your location near?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22111432

I am in Agusan Del Sur. About 60km (as the bird flys) from the coast town of Barobo.

we are surrounded by mountains, so that will help with wind, but flooding is expected.

Boro
 Quoting: BoroBoro

yes it will impact your area very severly tonight and well into the morning its also accelerating west so the eye should pass just south of your area

you will be north of the destructive line meaning you could be very isolated in the next few days

the event will continue for a few days too
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21937622

Yes. Thanks again for the info. lol on the isolation. I have been here for 6 years in this tiny farming area, so isolation has become normal life. Luckily we really don't need any outside help. If the roads North and south of us disappeared it would be ok, as we rarely ever use them and don't rely on them for supplies.
The coastal areas are screwed. They tried to evac, but, sadly, I think there will be many lost, mainly cause there's no good emergency broadcast system like the west has. So many will be surprised.

Our prayers go out to all in the path.

Boro

How did you find your slice of paradise in the Pi? Are there other expats near you? Why in the middle, and not the coast?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28987105
Portugal
12/03/2012 10:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

Super Typhoon Bopha even stronger, T numbers of 7.7 acc. to satellite estimates of 155 knots. [link to tropic.ssec.wisc.edu] …
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21937622
Australia
12/03/2012 10:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Boro your going to need every bit of help you can get, its great to hear your being strong about it, its time for you to start making sure everyone in your area gets together and is prepared, the next few days are going to be the toughest in your life.
BoroBoro

User ID: 15150041
Philippines
12/03/2012 10:35 AM
Report Abusive Post

I am in Agusan Del Sur. About 60km (as the bird flys) from the coast town of Barobo.

we are surrounded by mountains, so that will help with wind, but flooding is expected.

Boro

yes it will impact your area very severly tonight and well into the morning its also accelerating west so the eye should pass just south of your area

you will be north of the destructive line meaning you could be very isolated in the next few days

Yes. Thanks again for the info. lol on the isolation. I have been here for 6 years in this tiny farming area, so isolation has become normal life. Luckily we really don't need any outside help. If the roads North and south of us disappeared it would be ok, as we rarely ever use them and don't rely on them for supplies.
The coastal areas are screwed. They tried to evac, but, sadly, I think there will be many lost, mainly cause there's no good emergency broadcast system like the west has. So many will be surprised.

Boro

How did you find your slice of paradise in the Pi? Are there other expats near you? Why in the middle, and not the coast?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28786416

LOL. Well I have been a GLP'r for years. So that should answer why I don't live on the coast.
Just met a Filipina online. Came here, married her, moved here, have kids etc. Everything just sort of fell into place.

Boro

hf
Much Love, GOD Bless
BoroBoro's
mrmuffins69

User ID: 28433365
United States
12/03/2012 10:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
another super typhoon? that is 7 typhoons this year of category 4 and above
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28786416
United States
12/03/2012 10:41 AM
Report Abusive Post

Boro

LOL. Well I have been a GLP'r for years. So that should answer why I don't live on the coast.
Just met a Filipina online. Came here, married her, moved here, have kids etc. Everything just sort of fell into place.

Boro

hf

Could I survive there on $1500/mo? I spent a year and 1/2 in Olongapo, back in the war.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
12/03/2012 10:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Weather Channel‏@weatherchannel

MT @twc_hurricane: Strongest #typhoon to threaten the srn. #Philippines in 22 years has become a Super Typhoon again: [link to wxch.nl]
BoroBoro

Philippines
12/03/2012 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Boro your going to need every bit of help you can get, its great to hear your being strong about it, its time for you to start making sure everyone in your area gets together and is prepared, the next few days are going to be the toughest in your life.

Thanks for the info and support. Being a GLP'r I have been mentally training for this for many years, and of course we will do all we can for our neighbors etc.
Right now I expect to be flooded and to maybe loose the roof, but the house is extra solid concrete.
I am more worried about the shelters the gov is bringing these people too. They are old school and gym buildings and likely will not fare well. Old low cost construction before any real building code.
Plus, where I am, very few have concrete houses. Most are Huts on stilts, with nippa roofs. These will be like toothpicks in high wind.
We hope the close by mountains will offer some relief.

Boro
Much Love, GOD Bless
BoroBoro's
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
12/03/2012 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

Super Typhoon Bopha even stronger, T numbers of 7.7 acc. to satellite estimates of 155 knots. [link to tropic.ssec.wisc.edu] …
 Quoting: Luisport

screamscreamscream
Anonymous Coward
Australia
12/03/2012 10:45 AM
Report Abusive Post

Boro

Boro

hf

help will be on its way if you need it, you did the right thing moving there, stay strong
BoroBoro

Philippines
12/03/2012 10:46 AM
Report Abusive Post

Boro

Boro

hf

Could I survive there on $1500/mo? I spent a year and 1/2 in Olongapo, back in the war.

Yes you can easily, and quite well, depending which Island you want to live in. But, you need to have a starting capital to buy house, transportation, and all infrastructure. Then, live like a king for that much.

Boro
Much Love, GOD Bless
BoroBoro's
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12325489
Russia
12/03/2012 10:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Maria
Anonymous Coward
Australia
12/03/2012 10:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
looking at the sat loop is making my skin crawl, time for bed :(
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
12/03/2012 10:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Weather Underground‏@wunderground

Dr. Masters says, "Category 5 Super #Typhoon #Bopha bearing down on the Philippines" [link to www.wunderground.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
12/03/2012 10:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just issued....

Severe Weather Bulletin Number SIX
Tropical Cyclone Warning: Typhoon "PABLO" (BOPHA)
Issued at 11:00 p.m., Monday, 03 December 2012

Location of Center:
(as of 10:00 p.m.) 230 km Southeast of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur
Coordinates:7.4N, 128.3E
Strength: Maximum sustained winds of 175 kph near the center
and gustiness of up to 210 kph
^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^

Movement: West at 26 kph
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13200290
Russia
12/03/2012 10:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Maria
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 12325489

Yes.

Hail Mary...
Machine42

User ID: 2055677
United States
12/03/2012 10:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
I thought the winds were 330kph???

Last Edited by Machine42 on 12/03/2012 10:59 AM
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
12/03/2012 11:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.ssd.noaa.gov]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
12/03/2012 11:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Machine42

Quoting RTSplayer:

That's just not right.

This is a unit conversion error. They took miles per hour and incorrectly put kph behind it.

I know they probably use 10min sustained winds, which might actually be right, I don't know, but the gusts are clearly wrong and ridiculous.

A T-7.5/7.6 hurricane typically has gusts of over 200 Miles per hour, not kilometers per hour. In kph that is supposed to be more like 320kph for gusts... [link to www.wunderground.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
12/03/2012 11:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Jim Cantore‏@JimCantore

Super Typhoon #Bopha is heading towards the Philippine Island of Mindanao: [link to www.ssd.noaa.gov] … [link to www.wunderground.com] … [link to www.wunderground.com] …
BoroBoro

Philippines
12/03/2012 11:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just noticed:

MTSAT has it at Cat 5 now, and will be Cat 4 when it gets our area. Shit, this is going to suck.

[link to www.ssd.noaa.gov]

Boro

hidinghidinghiding
Much Love, GOD Bless
BoroBoro's
hapless moran

User ID: 1130234
United States
12/03/2012 11:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Boro,salamat kaayo for the updates. Worked in Mindanao (Midsayap and Dadiangas)as well as Dumaguete City. In fact, I just help a family put the final repairs on their roof from Sendong. Stay safe.
free your inner baboon.
BoroBoro

Philippines
12/03/2012 11:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Boro,salamat kaayo for the updates. Worked in Mindanao (Midsayap and Dadiangas)as well as Dumaguete City. In fact, I just help a family put the final repairs on their roof from Sendong. Stay safe.
 Quoting: hapless moran

Thanks. We are praying for the best.
Hope that roof was double strong, as this thing seems to be close to same track as Sendong.

Boro

hf
Much Love, GOD Bless
BoroBoro's
BoroBoro

Philippines
12/03/2012 11:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Update:

12:30 am local time as of this post.

Rain has started moderate to heavy.
starting to get a breeze now.

Saw some tweets where there was heavy rain and wind south of us around Bislig. Said there was a fire of some kind.

Boro

hiding
Much Love, GOD Bless
BoroBoro's
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24388158
United States
12/03/2012 11:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
my brother just flew there to get married. along with my father, step-mother, and 4 year old half sister.

mindanoa somewhere....dipolog city maybe ???
Machine42

User ID: 2055677
United States
12/03/2012 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Machine42

Quoting RTSplayer:

That's just not right.

This is a unit conversion error. They took miles per hour and incorrectly put kph behind it.

I know they probably use 10min sustained winds, which might actually be right, I don't know, but the gusts are clearly wrong and ridiculous.

A T-7.5/7.6 hurricane typically has gusts of over 200 Miles per hour, not kilometers per hour. In kph that is supposed to be more like 320kph for gusts... [link to www.wunderground.com]
 Quoting: Luisport

So the gust are up to 210 mph?
hapless moran

User ID: 1130234
United States
12/03/2012 11:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
my brother just flew there to get married. along with my father, step-mother, and 4 year old half sister.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24388158

When did you family leave for Dipolog? Are they in transit now or are they already there? Not to alarm you,but it looks as if Dipolog is probably right in the path of the brute.
free your inner baboon.
BoroBoro

Philippines
12/03/2012 11:54 AM
Report Abusive Post

Sorry to say, If they are Dipolog, Mindanao, they are going to be right in the path of the eye. Might only be a Cat 3 by then.

Best to call them and make sure they are taking shelter in a strong building. Maybe another 12 hours or more before it gets to them.

Boro
Much Love, GOD Bless
BoroBoro's
Ur1el

User ID: 24388158
United States
12/03/2012 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post

Sorry to say, If they are Dipolog, Mindanao, they are going to be right in the path of the eye. Might only be a Cat 3 by then.

Best to call them and make sure they are taking shelter in a strong building. Maybe another 12 hours or more before it gets to them.

Boro

sry wasnt logged in.

im pretty sure that is where they are at. they arrived there about 6 days ago. my brother was to get married yesterday. but was hospitalized with a gall bladder problem.

now this!!!

i was thinking around cat 3 myself when it hits. i hope they will be ok. we live in florida, so we are hurricane seasoned. but might be a little different over there.
DoorBert

User ID: 870568
United States
12/03/2012 12:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
ADT now at Cat 5

[link to tropic.ssec.wisc.edu]

GLP