Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29869935
United Kingdom
12/14/2012 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: ban video games first
it is ridiculous the way this world has turned out

the brave new world technology ushered in has bred an entire generation of slack jawed psychopaths, who can't even multiply or divide simple equations in their heads, they have to use a calculator. Every single one of them 'miraculously' gets the highest grades possible at the end of their schooling. when i was in school just ONE kid getting the highest grade was celebrated as a huge achievement, because that's exactly what it was.

we have been DELIBERATELY dumbed down.

they have taken the marvels of instant online communication and simply turned it into a MUCH more efficient bullying tool, and they totally disconnect themselves from society by wearing hoods wherever they go, and wearing headphones, listening to their music, TOTALLY separating themselves from every aspect of society, sight, sound. I'm just surprised they don't walk around with a peg on their nose so they can't smell fuck all as well!

it's heartbreaking.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21160675
United States
Report Abusive Post
Video games are an outlet for male energy which has been stifled by society. Let men defend their families and communities. Putting common law back in the hands of armed citizenry would go far.
Bornready
User ID: 26230613
United States
Report Abusive Post
You are wasting your time hating the wrong things. My son is awesome at video games, specifically the ones you are speaking of. He geared up when we heard the news of the shooting today. He hugged me and said I hope he doesn't make it to the jail alive. He asked me how could anybody do that. Guns and games don't make people evil and heartless. From the beginning of time until the end of time there will always be bad and good. Banning anything is just spinning your wheels.
Bornready
User ID: 26230613
United States
12/14/2012 06:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
You are wasting your time hating the wrong things. My son is awesome at video games, specifically the ones you are speaking of. He geared up when we heard the news of the shooting today. He hugged me and said I hope he doesn't make it to the jail alive. He asked me how could anybody do that. Guns and games don't make people evil and heartless. From the beginning of time until the end of time there will always be bad and good. Banning anything is just spinning your wheels.
 Quoting: Bornready 26230613

*teared up
Renegade (Me too)

User ID: 28510817
United States
12/14/2012 06:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
it's true though

the generation this kid belongs to grew up on extremely graphic / realistic first person shooters & grand theft auto..

they don't watch T.V.

They don't have jobs..

They are "gamers"

and it's all they do... all day... every day... for YEARS!

they have become so desensitized and disconnected from reality this type of act becomes a new way of living out their video game fantasy world..

it's like the 4chan troll generation

they have serious mental issues & no one to guide them

the problem isn't weapons

the problem is this fucked up society leading our children down the path of depravity from birth
 Quoting: ^TrInItY^

True! Gamers think it is a lifestyle and a living.
Who is John Galt?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27794780
United States
12/14/2012 06:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Kids from the age of seven on are well aware of what is right and wrong. Do not confuse the issue that barking up the wrong tree is what a lot of people do nowadays.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20051893
Canada
Report Abusive Post
violent video games are my outlet. if I'm not able to go slaughter a room full of people infront of my TV.. well...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29811090
United States
Report Abusive Post
OP...

You can't place a single blame on video games first! It's the parents!

Parents are the gate keepers for their children's future. If they don't give a s**t about their kids, guess what, their kids won't give a s**t about their lives.

Give love to know love...

When parents let their children do whatever they want, watch whatever they want, without explaining and teaching them true right from wrong, you get what we see. Mindless, brain washed kids that don't give a s**t about anyone, or anything.

Kids are sponges. They can't be subjected at an early age, to nothing but violence (parents, movies, video games, music), without KNOWING right from wrong.

When a child isn't taught right from wrong, the true meaning of family and loving one another, but instead pure violence....what do you think will happen!?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11696497

Dont blame the parents.

the parents of TODAYS teens were raised in the 80s themselves...when vid games were first flooding the market.

Back then they were not as gory but still involed 99% time blowing something up or shooting something down.

Because they were not BLATANTLY gory THEIR parents saw no real HARM in them..so the teens and kids of those days packed the games palours to blow up and shoot and rack up high scores for all the KILLS they got..all innocent like.

But the PROGRAMMING was there..laying the GOUNDWORD for the NEXT generation.

Those kids grew up and had kids ALREADY HARDENED to constant killing..even if it was flashy spaceships they were mowing down...

Because they were already hardened...when the new style gore started coming in late 90s they didnt worry about it..it wasnt that far removed from what THEy were already used to as kids...then the battlefield game was made..and pandora opened the box.

The kids loved it...it was intense..realistic..challenging..and it was ONLY a simulation of ww2 right?

Not very gory..jusr basic graphics..but the IDEA was there..IN place..to get them used to shooting PEOPLE..over and over and over again...

Unreal tournament came in then too..same deal but WITH some gore..and set in the future..WITH some splats and gibbs...people were HOOKED.

And now..we have REALISTIC DOOM..played out MASSACRES..again and again and again...being PROUS of ya gibbs..ya kills..bragging on leader boards about your mass slaugheters.

Its FROG IN THE POT syndrome...

ITS NOT the parents..its thew GAMES makers of the 80s that PROGRAMMED the parents to think...ITS JUST A GAME.

THEY KNEW back then WHAT they would be bringing out in the years ahead..and they had to SOFTEN the blow..FIRST get the FUTURE oarents IMMUNE to endless killing..even of innocent "Aliens" and "Ships"...and go from there.

ITS WORKED.

WE NOW have a GENERATION OF FULLY TRAINED KILLING STRATEGISTS..EXPERT SNIPERS...MEAN ASSED SLAUGHTER EXPERTS..IMMUNE TO SHOCK AND GORE..

SHEEP..READY TO SLAUGHTER..when the time comes.

"AND THE SECOND SEAL WAS OPNED..and PEACE was taken from the earth..AND EVERYONE TURNED ON AND KILLED EVERYONE ELSE"

THEY HAVE BEEN TRAINED FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS..

ALL that needs to happen to SET IT OFF..

IS THE SIGNAL.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17027639

How many TRULY RESPONSIBLE parents buy their kids CALL OF DUTY, and believe "ooooh, it' just a game". That's BS, and a cop out!

A TRULY RESPONSIBLE parent KNOWS what their kids are up to! They don't just let them buy games, just cuz "it's a game", or watch movies, just cuz "it's a movie"...

Any truly responsible parent raises their kid to be responsible, and teaches them right from wrong, fantasy from reality...BOTTOM LINE!!!

Hence, it starts at GROUND ZERO...PARENTS!
rant

But what if MOST PARENTS..were TRAINED to NOT BE FULLY RESPONSIBLE??

Do you get what I mean now?

READ my post again..these IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS>.were PROGRAMMED to be irresponsible.

BY WHO??

THE GAME AND MOVIE MAKERS OF THE 80s who PROGRAMMED THEM!!

NOW WE SEE THE FRUIT..and their SCAPEGOAT is BLAME THE POOR BASTARD WHO THEM SELVES were PROGRAMMED as kids IN the 80s to think KILLING IS FINE.

NOW..it IS FINE..see whats heppenned?

If these SAME games and movies were release in 1970...THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN AN OUTCRY...

But why not NOW?

CAUSE...FROG IN THE POT SYNDROME..slowly..two generations boiled to DEATH..and they didnt even feel it.

I KNOW...I was born in 68..IVE SEEN IT AT WORK..and watched it happen..bit..by doomy bit.

stfu
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26125917
United States
12/14/2012 06:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
I absolutely love GLP and I've been lurking here for a long long long time. Anyway, I've been in game design for 14 years and have been involved in the game industry for more than two decades. I've worked on about a dozen triple A titles. Tens of millions have (hopefully) enjoyed my work. So I'm not just some guy who made a web game or two for his CS class. Anyway, topics like are usually enough to draw me out.

Gamers are getting old and the games industry has gotten really, really big. 10+ years ago I kind of laughed at the idea we'd by surpassing the movie industry in sales but that actually happened. It makes sense though because my generation was weened on video games and generally, people don't give up their hobbies when they get older. They tend to refine their tastes in them as well as spend a whole lot more money on them.

Now first person shooters aren't my favorite genre and I've never worked on one. I enjoy RPGs, fighting games and other action games. Those are the sorts of game I've made. But when people spit the word "VIDEO GAMES" with that snotty church lady voice, they really mean first person shooters. They are not talking about Angry Birds or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Now with that said, the 18-25 male demographic are the ones most buying and playing first person shooters, followed secondly by the 25-40 demographic. These games are not for kids and that's why they all carry an M rating.

Asking to ban VIDEO GAMES (i.e. First Person Shooters) is like saying "ban R rated movies". They promote violence and stuff. We should also ban damn near everything shown on TV after 8pm on a weekday really.

Instead of banning, how about we enforce what we already have? How about we have tougher laws against stores that sell M rated games to kids? Or how about punishments for parents who let their kids play M-rated games?
What you're advocating here is trampling on the rights of grown adults to enjoy the kind of entertainment they prefer. It's a great topic starter for a Friday night but a bad idea generally
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29104310

Thank you for posting!

hf

This is exactly my point. A call to ban all video games in my mind makes no logical sense, since they're not all the same and the ones calling for such a thing are painting all of them with a wide brush.

Myself, I'm nearing 40, and I've played everything from Final Fantasy to Oblivion to Minecraft to Mario Brothers.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1532680
United States
12/14/2012 06:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's all about the parents not the games. As somebody already mentioned. Real parents would teach their kids right from wrong and reality from fantasy and teach kids consquenses.

Psychos have been around long before games. In 1927 there was the Bath michigan school incedent where a psycho killed
38 children and 6 adults.

Pisses me off when people jump on the blame video game band wagon.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22538468
United Kingdom
12/14/2012 06:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
I don't agree.
story telling has progressed with technology. Kids used to listen to story tellers now they can change the outcome to stories.
It's the education system that needs to accomodate these kids, they have grown up with media that is fast and action filled running at a constant quick pace so it's no wonder that they have no attention span. Kids these days won't sit through a film unless it's action filled, they just aren't use to that.
I work with these kind of kids and the education system is failing them.

I do not blame games, and gamers do understand and recognise reality.

There has always been and always will be some psychopaths born into this world.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22538468

It sounds like the kids needs serius challenges, i belive they are born with ever increasing talents, school systems simply can not follow ball as its set up by adults.

Video games challenge only the mind, and gives a dopamine,endorfine, adrenaline mix its kinda like fake stimulants and gaming is more adicting then cocaine, take that from personal experience.

I dont know why i quit sports though
If the kids are allways told to hold back even if its subtle they will not get stimulated properly, maybe some grouping would be beneficial, people are different afterall.
Read between the lines
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29838123

The education system just can't change as quickly as technology and money is a problem for all schools for updated technology and software.
Computer science isn't even filtering through the education system in the UK still to this day.
Teachers aren't qualified to a standard to progress to teaching computer science.
It's a sad situation with many frustrations for teachers, parents and the students.
5 of 6
User ID: 23504424
United States
12/14/2012 06:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
There are bad cops and good cops. Bad black people and good black people. And so on and so on. Call of duty does not make anyone want to go out and kill people. If so there would be way more killing going on out there. It gives the people a safe outlet. To vent. The problem isn't guns or videos games. It's human behavior and a ass backwards school system.

This guy who killed all the kids was sick in the head. How many of us here help people that are that sick?

All people will do is talk about it and go watch true blood or game of thrones.

School system will stay fucked up and football will keep on going...

Lets hope a switch goes off in our brains and we all just get right in the head come this galactic center crossing... Peace
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29898248
Sweden
12/14/2012 06:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
it's true though

the generation this kid belongs to grew up on extremely graphic / realistic first person shooters & grand theft auto..

they don't watch T.V.

They don't have jobs..

They are "gamers"

they have become so desensitized and disconnected from reality this type of act becomes a new way of living out their video game fantasy world..

the problem is this fucked up society leading our children down the path of depravity from birth

I think there is something to this. People in general seem much more desensitized, egocentric and out of touch with reality.

Just in the last 10 years society have changed a lot in this regard.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11696497
United States
12/14/2012 06:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

READ my post again..these IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS>.were PROGRAMMED to be irresponsible.

BY WHO??

NOW WE SEE THE FRUIT..and their SCAPEGOAT is BLAME THE POOR BASTARD WHO THEM SELVES were PROGRAMMED as kids IN the 80s to think KILLING IS FINE.

If these SAME games and movies were release in 1970...THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN AN OUTCRY...

But why not NOW?

CAUSE...FROG IN THE POT SYNDROME..slowly..two generations boiled to DEATH..and they didnt even feel it.

I KNOW...I was born in 68..IVE SEEN IT AT WORK..and watched it happen..bit..by doomy bit.

That's my point exactly...

It starts with the parents...NOT video games, NOT music, NOT movies, NOT TV shows

If a parent isn't responsible enough to teach their children, then the children are left raising themselves, doing what they see on TV, or VIDEO GAMES...

It all STARTS with the parents my friend.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25327582
Canada
12/14/2012 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
You might as well try to ban mental health issues ... even if you could ban video games things like this shooting will still happen.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29838123
Denmark
12/14/2012 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Bornready 26230613

back to the bullying isue?
StormeyGoddess

User ID: 22004193
United States
12/14/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
The sad thing about video games is that parents are letting their kids play at younger and younger ages...Kids are then desensitized to murder, blood, violence, death. Same with movies...the younger a child is when sex and death on tv are normal, the worse off they are.

True story...I know a parent who let their child play video games since the time he could walk. When this child was about 8 or 9 years old, he got a butcher knife out of the kitchen and tried to commit suicide...Thank God his mother found him as he had the knife to his throat and only ended up with a surface scratch...Wanna know what was going on in his head??????

The kid thought he could just regenerate...have another life...

My older kids are 15 and 16. I am very careful about what they watch. If it has sexual anything in it, they can't see it. I don't mind blood and violence now, but I never let them play video games til they were older nor let them watch violent or bloody or scary movies. I also have an 8 year old...Same rules apply to him.

It's extremely important that kids know that their actions affect other human beings before they should be allowed to indulge in violent, bloody awful video games or movies...

Once they KNOW the difference between real life and video games and movies, then it's on! I am addicted to WoW, myself and see nothing wrong with playing games...sometimes we all need to blow some shit up in a game so we don't blow shit up IRL, but kids sometimes don't know the difference if they're missing the empathy and compassion genes...
"Don't look back, you're not going that way."

"As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”
Lnx

User ID: 1501781
Finland
12/14/2012 06:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.wired.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7570540
United States
12/14/2012 06:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
maybe its the people that are the problem, there are no bad students, only bad teachers. stop looking for a scapegoat when the problem is right in front of u when u look in the mirror
 Quoting: mrmuffins69

Ha - I'm guessing you haven't stepped foot in a school for a long while. There are so many troubled and/or out-of-control kids these days that you could be the best teacher in the world and you still won't reach some kids. Their home lives are so piss-poor that they can't begin to learn because they can't stop obsessing over: the beating they received from step-dad, step-mom who sexually abused them, mom who locked them in a closet so she could go out at night, dad who drank the dinner money, big sister who had to go back to rehab, big brother who got arrested again last night, clothing which smells like cat piss because they doesn't have a dresser and the cat's box is dirty, what mom is going to do when she finds out about their third round of head lice, mom and dad who fight all the time, etc...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29901013
United States
12/14/2012 06:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
there used to be such a thing where kids werent old enough for certain things. lots of parents now let their kids be exposed to some very adult material.
-GooGooFlexy-

User ID: 16797449
United States
Report Abusive Post
What a load of crap. With the hippie generation, weed was the problem. Now, all gamers are potential mass murderers. Just shut the fuck up...
-GooGooFlexy-
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29858641
Romania
Report Abusive Post
it's true though

they don't watch T.V.

They don't have jobs..

They are "gamers"

while others trained themselves to make and believe conspiracy theories
and exercise their power in banning people
lmao
meganebula

User ID: 29788429
United States
12/14/2012 06:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
it's true though

they don't watch T.V.

They don't have jobs..

They are "gamers"

the problem is this fucked up society leading our children down the of depravity from birth

I have to agree. The repetition and obsessive behaviour has GOT to be ingraining horrible neural pathways, at LEAST. If they were spending an hour or two a day on the 'game' that is one thing. But, Hours and hours, day after day, with little other experience to help offset. Plus, they aren't 'just' watching t.v., they are involved with action and choice. Terrifying. More multi leveled reinforcement of desperate, violent reaction.
We teach the abc's, the times tables, etc. by repetition, and it works. What the hell is this shit?
love...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16250270
Australia
Report Abusive Post

BY WHO??

But why not NOW?

That's my point exactly...

It starts with the parents...NOT video games, NOT music, NOT movies, NOT TV shows

If a parent isn't responsible enough to teach their children, then the children are left raising themselves, doing what they see on TV, or VIDEO GAMES...

It all STARTS with the parents my friend.

And the parents of NOW were the kids of the 80s...and the games of the 80s were "Innocent fun" so THEIR parents saw NO HARM in it.

But it HARDENED those kids to KILLING..even if it was just dots on a screen...then they slowlu upped the graphics..bit by bot..slooowly dragging everyone into it.

Those kids grew up...met a nice girl..and started a family.

These same group (In their 20's now) though it was COOL when battledfield 1942 was released..NOT gory..but more..IMMUNISING.

As their kids grew they saw as toddlers their parents playing these games..BF42..URT..all those..they saw it from a YOUNG age..and were IMMUNISED against shock and killing and gore.

These toddlers are not in their TEENS...and the graphics have been UPPED and UPPED..the parents themselves..already immunised..think its GREAT..because AS kids and teens themselves they just could not WAIT for the games to get more realistic..

THATS THE CRY..get more REAL..REALITY DOOM..the parents are into it..as are the kids.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

THE BLOODY POT with the SLOWLY HEATING WATER in it.

WHO RUNS THE BGUNSEN BURNER UNDER THE POT??

THE ILLUMINTAI!!!!!!!!

WHY???

TO IMMUNISE an ENTIRE GENERATION against SHOCK and KILLING.

KILLING IS NOW THE NORM!!

But..its all the parents...

THATS HOW THEY PLANNED IT..they WANT you to NOT BLAME THEM..even though THEY are the ones MAKING THE POISON so SUBTLE and TASTY.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 25594339
United States
Report Abusive Post
How many responsible parents are left 50% on the welfare ticket on drugs the other 50% don't care and on script meds anti depressants just waiting to snap.an lmaginary internet world full of fist fucking morons that will accept fiction as fact waiting for there messiah to rescue them from the real people they meet at the mall.but there not real either so life becomes a video game .
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2731277
United States
12/14/2012 06:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
there used to be such a thing where kids werent old enough for certain things. lots of parents now let their kids be exposed to some very adult material.
 Quoting: Oyster

if a kid has access to the internet alone

he's got access to everything

things the parents had no idea existed

Like GLP ? LOL....I think they will ban many things soon and totally control us. Whats the deal about the UN controlling our internet? Oh well, here we go and hang on tight!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28988538
United States
Report Abusive Post
I never tried shrooms until I played Mario, man. Then I reached for the stars and felt fucking INVINCIBLE, man. Like I was flashing all different colors and shit. I was breaking bricks and stomping on turtles--my mom was like "Dude!" and I was like "you can't hurt me when I'm a statue, bitch!" but then dad got home and sent me to work in the garden. I picked a blinking flower and then accidentally burned the house down, man. That was fucked.
Crankgorilla
User ID: 29903992
Australia
Report Abusive Post
What connection has there ever been between gaming and violence? I'm pretty sure Hans Brevik was no gamer and I doubt this latest crazy was either. The older generation seem clueless as to what they talk about when they try to lay blame to video games for the recent disasters regarding guns. As were the generation previous to them who tried to lay societies ills on the television.

I doubt any of the people doing the crimes are actual gamers. Maybe if they were they would have a social element they could talk to to tell them they are batshit crazy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29901013
United States
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Oyster

if a kid has access to the internet alone

he's got access to everything

things the parents had no idea existed

yep.

and what does a parent think they are raising when there kid stays locked in his room playing the GTA series since he was 8?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22538468
United Kingdom
Report Abusive Post
maybe its the people that are the problem, there are no bad students, only bad teachers. stop looking for a scapegoat when the problem is right in front of u when u look in the mirror
 Quoting: mrmuffins69

Ha - I'm guessing you haven't stepped foot in a school for a long while. There are so many troubled and/or out-of-control kids these days that you could be the best teacher in the world and you still won't reach some kids. Their home lives are so piss-poor that they can't begin to learn because they can't stop obsessing over: the beating they received from step-dad, step-mom who sexually abused them, mom who locked them in a closet so she could go out at night, dad who drank the dinner money, big sister who had to go back to rehab, big brother who got arrested again last night, clothing which smells like cat piss because they doesn't have a dresser and the cat's box is dirty, what mom is going to do when she finds out about their third round of head lice, mom and dad who fight all the time, etc...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7570540

Absolutely true.

GLP