Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,786 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 358,716
Pageviews Today: 612,989Threads Today: 298Posts Today: 4,141
07:18 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

? for the computer gurus in here.. Also, Let's share some of our favorite programs!!

Patrick Bateman
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 29867967
United States
12/14/2012 06:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
? for the computer gurus in here.. Also, Let's share some of our favorite programs!!
Ok, here is the deal.

I am pretty good at maintaining my computer and unlike most, I really do like windows. I am very good with it and actually can successfully maintain it and keep it squeaky clean for years). That being said, however, I am thinking of reformatting my comp and running linux, or at least partitioning the hd and running linux on one of them.

Yes I know how to Google search etc, but I want tto here from some of the first hand users on here the pros and cons and what they would do.

Why do you like one over the other, or what can you do in one that you like more than the other.

Also, If I do this I am going to need to delete everything off my computer, and I have not done this in over 4 years. What are the best programs out there now so I can keep all of my programs, music, movies, apps, settings,etc?

Or if you have an idea you think would better suit me, I am open to all ideas ideas!!

Thanks in advance!!

Last Edited by Patrick Bateman on 12/14/2012 06:45 PM
Melek76

User ID: 7852535
United States
12/14/2012 06:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: ? for the computer gurus in here.. Also, Let's share some of our favorite programs!!

Last Edited by idvurRQQ on 02/26/2023 06:43 PM
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: ? for the computer gurus in here.. Also, Let's share some of our favorite programs!!
Windows -
Pros
Most commercial applications
Gaming
Ease of use
Cons
Huge Customer Base / Huge amount of malware
Cache/Temp/Registry Corruption upon long term use

Linux -
Pros
Huge base of open source software
Less virus activity
Smaller footprint (size/memory/etc...)
Cons
Higher learning curve
Limited Windows application support

If you run linux, most of the windows applications will not run. You can run a program call WINE, that will emulate windows; but it has limited support for newer windows apps. There are also several gaming specific programs built on the WINE engine.

Otherwise, I would copy your music, movies, pictures, documents, etc. to a flash drive or external drive; so that you can replace them on the new OS. The best way to accomplish this, is to install another hard drive and install the new OS on the new drive. That way you do not lose your data.
 Quoting: Melek76

Awesome man, thanks!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29846891
United States
12/14/2012 06:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Eh, in my opinion Windows is far greater for a client than Linux.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27245495
United States
12/14/2012 06:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
It really depends on how you want to use your machine. Alot of things will run in WINE on linux. But if you are a big gamer, stick with Windows. You can install Linux into a virtual machine with Virtual Box and try it out for awhile, so you don't have to partition/format.
d1k

User ID: 23750037
Canada
12/14/2012 06:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just multi boot and try them all.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1490846
United States
Report Abusive Post
Before you wipe everything go to here [link to www.safer-networking.org] and download spybot search and destroy, it's free and will help you clean and immunize your PC.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29696048
United States
Report Abusive Post
Ok, here is the deal.

I am pretty good at maintaining my computer and unlike most, I really do like windows. I am very good with it and actually can successfully maintain it and keep it squeaky clean for years). That being said, however, I am thinking of reformatting my comp and running linux, or at least partitioning the hd and running linux on one of them.

Yes I know how to Google search etc, but I want tto here from some of the first hand users on here the pros and cons and what they would do.

Why do you like one over the other, or what can you do in one that you like more than the other.

Also, If I do this I am going to need to delete everything off my computer, and I have not done this in over 4 years. What are the best programs out there now so I can keep all of my programs, music, movies, apps, settings,etc?

Or if you have an idea you think would better suit me, I am open to all ideas ideas!!

Thanks in advance!!
 Quoting: Patrick Bateman

Removable drives.....each loaded with a separate O/S.
One for Linux .... one for Windows.

You can partition it too....but I don't like having all the eggs in one basket.

[link to www.newegg.com]
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
It really depends on how you want to use your machine. Alot of things will run in WINE on linux. But if you are a big gamer, stick with Windows. You can install Linux into a virtual machine with Virtual Box and try it out for awhile, so you don't have to partition/format.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27245495

I do everything but game, lol

I need to be able to use lots of "internet" apps, and not being as familiar with linux, i am not sure how hey would work

I love the deep web, tor, etc.. I spend my spre time on hackthissite.org and shit like that just for fun and to learn

I need to be able to use many programs related to things of that nature.. proxifer, etc...

I watch lots of tv and movies on the net, but not really any gaming. I am not a huge gamer, but I use my ps3 when I do.

Thanks for all the input friends!!
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Before you wipe everything go to here [link to www.safer-networking.org] and download spybot search and destroy, it's free and will help you clean and immunize your PC.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1490846

Jesus, s&d is still around?

Thanks tho!
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok, here is the deal.

Thanks in advance!!

Removable drives.....each loaded with a separate O/S.
One for Linux .... one for Windows.

You can partition it too....but I don't like having all the eggs in one basket.

[link to www.newegg.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29696048

Nice! I like the way you think!! TY
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29846891
United States
12/14/2012 06:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

I need to be able to use lots of "internet" apps, and not being as familiar with linux, i am not sure how hey would work

I love the deep web, tor, etc.. I spend my spre time on hackthissite.org and shit like that just for fun and to learn

I need to be able to use many programs related to things of that nature.. proxifer, etc...

I watch lots of tv and movies on the net, but not really any gaming. I am not a huge gamer, but I use my ps3 when I do.

Than may I recommend [link to tails.boum.org (secure)]
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:28 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29846891

I have never tried this, thanks!!
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/14/2012 06:28 PM
Report Abusive Post

I think Linux would be a good fit! Anything internet related works exactly the same. You may not be able to find ALL the same programs you use, but will almost definitely find open source alternatives to them. You can dual boot Windows and Linux without having to repartition anything. Just decide which distro you want and there are instructions on how to do a dual boot install. Also, almost all distros have a live cd version you can use to test things out before installing. Just download and burn to a CD or to a flash drive and reboot. Have fun!
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Let me also add. I just wan to learn something new, and Linux is an OS, i think would be fun to learn and get great at. That is one of the main reasons I want to do this. So if that raises any new ideas in people's heads, please share!
S0L4RN1GHTM4R3

User ID: 20843469
United States
12/14/2012 06:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just a tip from a true computer geek:

If you dual boot, you'll almost always end up using one OS, or the other, but never both.

Save yourself some time, choose one and jump in head first, you can always grab another.

Another pro tip:

Have a partition at the end of the HDD to store all of your personal files, so you don't have to constantly move them around when you decide to switch OSs.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

John F. Kennedy
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

I think Linux would be a good fit! Anything internet related works exactly the same. You may not be able to find ALL the same programs you use, but will almost definitely find open source alternatives to them. You can dual boot Windows and Linux without having to repartition anything. Just decide which distro you want and there are instructions on how to do a dual boot install. Also, almost all distros have a live cd version you can use to test things out before installing. Just download and burn to a CD or to a flash drive and reboot. Have fun!

Awesome, thanks!

And I would just like to add before people get the wrong Idea... Yes I love the internet and learn from al of the info on it.. everywhere. but as far as the "hacking" type nonsense is concerned, I am not a hacker. I just like picking up new tricks for fun and also knowing how people do what they do so I know how to defend or get around it.
S0L4RN1GHTM4R3

United States
12/14/2012 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29846891

I have never tried this, thanks!!

Tails is an absolute shit OS to install, don't bother.

It is meant to be used as a live OS, for browsing anonymously on the tor network, not installed.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

John F. Kennedy
S0L4RN1GHTM4R3

United States
12/14/2012 06:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

Awesome, thanks!

And I would just like to add before people get the wrong Idea... Yes I love the internet and learn from al of the info on it.. everywhere. but as far as the "hacking" type nonsense is concerned, I am not a hacker. I just like picking up new tricks for fun and also knowing how people do what they do so I know how to defend or get around it.

If you ever decide to expand your mind in computer/networking technology, try this:

[link to www.backtrack-linux.org]

John F. Kennedy
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

If you dual boot, you'll almost always end up using one OS, or the other, but never both.

Save yourself some time, choose one and jump in head first, you can always grab another.

Another pro tip:

Have a partition at the end of the HDD to store all of your personal files, so you don't have to constantly move them around when you decide to switch OSs.
 Quoting: S0L4RN1GHTM4R3

Thank you! I used to do this on my last 2 comps : (

I really just want to learn how to use linux, if it i worth it, but also still use my bread and butter. Thanks!

I am a HUGE internet geek, but not soo much a comp geek.

I let you guys write my programs, I just use them : ) TY for that btw!
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

Awesome, thanks!

If you ever decide to expand your mind in computer/networking technology, try this:

[link to www.backtrack-linux.org]

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, the net is a hobby of mind. I am a geek, but Physics, Bio and Chem, not tech.
S0L4RN1GHTM4R3

United States
12/14/2012 06:40 PM
Report Abusive Post

Another pro tip:

I really just want to learn how to use linux, if it i worth it, but also still use my bread and butter. Thanks!

No problem.

By the way, if you're wanting to learn, definitely go with either:

[link to www.ubuntu.com]

or

[link to linuxmint.com]

By far the best linux distros for 'noobs'. Stable and fast as lightening. (I prefer Linux Mint)

John F. Kennedy
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Another thought I just had... I am kind of TGWIGWC, and might just buy someone's year old "fucked" lap top cheap, fix it in an hour, then just have one for both... I hadn' thought of that yet.

What is everyone's feelings on windows 8?

Also feel free to post some of your favorite programs. You can never have too many goodies in your arsenal!

Last Edited by Patrick Bateman on 12/14/2012 06:42 PM
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 06:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

Another pro tip:

No problem.

[link to www.ubuntu.com]

or

[link to linuxmint.com]

By far the best linux distros for 'noobs'. Stable and fast as lightening. (I prefer Linux Mint)

Thanks again man, I really am. Now that it is Christmas break, I will use most of my time reading, rosetta stone, working out, and teaching myself something with computers that is still up in the air and kind of what I am trying to figure out now.1 Seriously thanks!
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/14/2012 06:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

Another pro tip:

No problem.

[link to www.ubuntu.com]

or

[link to linuxmint.com]

Yes, I agree with this! Linux Mint is great, definitely recommend you give it a try.
S0L4RN1GHTM4R3

United States
12/14/2012 06:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Another thought I just had... I am kind of TGWIGWC, and might just buy someone's year old "fucked" lap top cheap, fix it in an hour, then just have one for both... I hadn' thought of that yet.

What is everyone's feelings on windows 8?

Also feel free to post some of your favorite programs. You can never have too many goodies in your arsenal!

I've been using it for about 3-4 months and I love it, that coming from a hardcore linux geek. It is far superior to Windows 7, because it's fast and I've had absolutely no BSOD, or any errors for that matter. Some people dislike the 'metro' style, which was considered best suited for touch screens, but you still have an average desktop, so it all works out.

I dual boot Backtrack though, so I can get down and dirty when needed. Have been considering reinstalling Windows XP Black Edition, but that's just because I'm a fanboy.

Windows XP Black Edition - November 2012:

[link to thepiratebay.se]

Windows 8 Pro 86 & 64 + Activator:

[link to thepiratebay.se]

John F. Kennedy
S0L4RN1GHTM4R3

United States
12/14/2012 06:48 PM
Report Abusive Post

Another pro tip:

No problem.

[link to www.ubuntu.com]

or

[link to linuxmint.com]

Thanks again man, I really am. Now that it is Christmas break, I will use most of my time reading, rosetta stone, working out, and teaching myself something with computers that is still up in the air and kind of what I am trying to figure out now.1 Seriously thanks!

Not a problem bud, been there, done that. It's always nice to have an experienced opinion.

John F. Kennedy
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1138321
United States
12/14/2012 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
ive used puppy linux for a few years. i use a live cd and it loads complete into ram so its pretty fast. puppy has a good following and user forum.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28388164
United States
12/14/2012 07:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
two words:
virtual machines
wisc_natureboy

User ID: 28859998
United States
12/14/2012 07:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
two words:
virtual machines
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28388164

Yes, this.
Download Vmware Player and you can even download already configured Linux VMs.

Also try Linux on a stick. Just install it on a thumb drive and boot into it.
We all breathe the same air.
.-.. --- ...- . / .- .-.. .-..
Patrick Bateman  (OP)

United States
12/14/2012 07:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
two words:
virtual machines
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28388164

Yes, this.
Download Vmware Player and you can even download already configured Linux VMs.

Also try Linux on a stick. Just install it on a thumb drive and boot into it.
 Quoting: wisc_natureboy

Ohh nice, good call. Thanks guys!

GLP