Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,099 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 148,846
Pageviews Today: 250,922Threads Today: 84Posts Today: 1,209
02:34 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Come see live video of Jupiter (two-parter tonight)! 12-19-12 *Bastards shut down my broadcast!*

Dr. AstroModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 27749847
United States
12/19/2012 07:52 PM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Come see live video of Jupiter (two-parter tonight)! 12-19-12 *Bastards shut down my broadcast!*
Well it seems the ZetaTalk cult is now claiming that Jupiter has "tilted."
[link to poleshift.ning.com]
This stems from this youtube video where the person used pictures from Stellarium that show Jupiter under the influence of field rotation (though he also seems to think this shows it "tilting" in a physical sense):
[link to www.youtube.com]
At 1:22 in the video you can clearly see Stellarium's interface, and the little telescope shaped button is not lit up, indicating that he is viewing the sky from an altitude-azimuth perspective and is subject to field rotation. Alt-az is the way most people view the sky day to day, so it's the stellarium default. You must observe from a polar aligned perspective, however, if you want to eliminate field rotation and see the true orientation. I'm going to do a 2 part broadcast tonight to show Jupiter both from an altitude-azimuth perspective, and later from a polar aligned perspective.

This first part will be done with my cell phone webcasting it so that I can show you both the video screen and the telescope itself so that you can see the camera is oriented normally in the scope. Then I'll switch over to broadcasting with the laptop to show just what the telescope sees directly. Later on I'll switch the telescope to a polar aligned perspective and then show what that looks like.

For this first part, notice that Jupiter's cloud bands appear tilted as it rises in the east. The great red spot is visible near the center of the planet. For the sake of simplicity, I've also set the camera to invert the image to compensate for the way the telescope normally produces an inverted image in this configuration. Here's the webcast:
[link to justin.tv]

Last Edited by Astromut on 12/19/2012 08:53 PM
astrobanner2
Dr. AstroModerator  (OP)
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
12/19/2012 08:01 PM

Report Abusive Post
Re: Come see live video of Jupiter (two-parter tonight)! 12-19-12 *Bastards shut down my broadcast!*
Ok, plan B; the android app for justin.tv doesn't work worth a damn on my phone. It just fails every time I hit start. Give me a second and I'll get it running on the laptop with my camcorder instead.
astrobanner2
Dr. AstroModerator  (OP)
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
12/19/2012 08:09 PM

Report Abusive Post
Re: Come see live video of Jupiter (two-parter tonight)! 12-19-12 *Bastards shut down my broadcast!*
Ok, up and running, currently showing the view directly from the telescope.
[link to justin.tv]
astrobanner2
PigsInSpace

User ID: 27539979
Canada
12/19/2012 08:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to justin.tv]
 Quoting: Dr. Astro

this is fantastic! thank you for doing this, i am tuned in and enjoying the show!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20257839
United States
12/19/2012 08:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
This stems from this youtube video where the person used pictures from Stellarium that show Jupiter under the influence of field rotation (though he also seems to think this shows it "tilting" in a physical sense):
At 1:22 in the video you can clearly see Stellarium's interface, and the little telescope shaped button is not lit up, indicating that he is viewing the sky from an altitude-azimuth perspective and is subject to field rotation. Alt-az is the way most people view the sky day to day, so it's the stellarium default. You must observe from a polar aligned perspective, however, if you want to eliminate field rotation and see the true orientation. I'm going to do a 2 part broadcast tonight to show Jupiter both from an altitude-azimuth perspective, and later from a polar aligned perspective.

This first part will be done with my cell phone webcasting it so that I can show you both the video screen and the telescope itself so that you can see the camera is oriented normally in the scope. Then I'll switch over to broadcasting with the laptop to show just what the telescope sees directly. Later on I'll switch the telescope to a polar aligned perspective and then show what that looks like.

For this first part, notice that Jupiter's cloud bands appear tilted as it rises in the east. The great red spot is visible near the center of the planet. For the sake of simplicity, I've also set the camera to invert the image to compensate for the way the telescope normally produces an inverted image in this configuration. Here's the webcast:
[link to justin.tv]

blahblahblahblahblahblahjerkitblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahjerkitblahblahblahblah
Dr. AstroModerator  (OP)
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
12/19/2012 08:17 PM

Report Abusive Post

For this first part, notice that Jupiter's cloud bands appear tilted as it rises in the east. The great red spot is visible near th
e center of the planet. For the sake of simplicity, I've also set the camera to invert the image to compensate for the way the telescope normally produces an inverted image in this configuration. Here's the webcast:
[link to justin.tv]

blahblahblahblahblahblahjerkitblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahjerkitblahblahblahblah
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20257839

Ah, it looks like we may have a zetatalker in our midst. Hope you enjoy the view :)
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30328196
United Kingdom
12/19/2012 08:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

[link to justin.tv]

Do you mock everyone who is not an idiot like yourself?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30361468
Australia
12/19/2012 08:19 PM
Report Abusive Post

For this first part, notice that Jupiter's cloud bands appear tilted as it rises in the east. The great red spot is visible near th
e center of the planet. For the sake of simplicity, I've also set the camera to invert the image to compensate for the way the telescope normally produces an inverted image in this configuration. Here's the webcast:
[link to justin.tv]

Ah, it looks like we may have a zetatalker in our midst. Hope you enjoy the view :)

STINKY BITCHEZ.. ;)

BWAhahahaha
Anonymous Coward
United States
Report Abusive Post

[link to justin.tv]

Do you mock everyone who is not an idiot like yourself?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 30328196

Are you always an assuming ass?
Anonymous Coward
United States
Report Abusive Post

[link to justin.tv]

zeta is garbage... and so is the view.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2267205
United States
12/19/2012 08:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
That guy in the youtube link at the top is a nut job and thinks he's the second coming of Jesus. He's changed his YouTube accounts many times and demanded that the Queen of England give back his rightfully owned country in a law suit.

o_O
Quasar

User ID: 11008094
United States
12/19/2012 08:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
For later viewing...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 74444
United States
12/19/2012 08:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nice!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2230505
United States
12/19/2012 08:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
:alien1:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9952151
United States
12/19/2012 08:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
My God, all the moons are in the wrong place!
Jupiter has tilted........
imjustsayin

User ID: 29378309
United States
12/19/2012 08:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you!!! This is awesome!
Love & Light...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28541844
United States
12/19/2012 08:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Jupiters cock!!! awesome.
Whole lee shit

User ID: 19114842
United States
12/19/2012 08:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for all the hard work Astro!!
"You can go to hell -- I'm going to Texas!" - Davy Crockett

You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits? Now you know why he built that bomb
JUST HERE

User ID: 25610447
United States
12/19/2012 08:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
5 stars

Last Edited by JUST HERE on 12/19/2012 08:35 PM
:glp sign:
sacred energy

User ID: 30367292
Australia
12/19/2012 08:37 PM

Report Abusive Post
Thankyou, I will be getting out my telescope tonight, just dissappointed I did not do it last night. Thanks for sharing with us hf

xmasxmasxmas
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18713240
United States
12/19/2012 08:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
For later viewing...
 Quoting: Quasar

It's a live stream 1rof1
Dr. AculaModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 934
United States
12/19/2012 08:39 PM

Report Abusive Post
:)

Last Edited by Dr. Acula on 12/19/2012 09:10 PM

drbat
Vase creator
User ID: 30235617
Report Abusive Post
This is excellent Doc, a little bit shaky, but wth - since you're focused on something 500,000,000 miles away I can forgive you the odd little wibble wobble ;)

Bloody awesome...

Whole lee shit

United States
Report Abusive Post
It does look like its shifted quite a bit. Here is a picture from 2010 i found [link to blogs.scientificamerican.com]

[link to blogs.scientificamerican.com]

You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits? Now you know why he built that bomb
Whole lee shit

United States
12/19/2012 08:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
It does look like its shifted quite a bit. Here is a picture from 2010 i found [link to blogs.scientificamerican.com]

[link to blogs.scientificamerican.com]
 Quoting: Whole lee shit

Could that have something to do with how the telescope is set up. Like leaning to one side or the other?

Lotus Flower

User ID: 16091860
United Kingdom
12/19/2012 08:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
I would get my telescope out, if I damn well had one lol.

Nice one OP, !!
Lotus

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares - Hebrews 13:2

One Crowded hour of glorious life, is worth an age without a name - Thomas Osbert Mordaunt
BoxerLvr

User ID: 869975
Puerto Rico
12/19/2012 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to justin.tv]

Hey what happened? It says your channel was shut down due to TOS violation.
It is precisely because it is fashionable for Americans to know no science, even though they may be well educated otherwise, that they so easily fall prey to nonsense. They thus become part of the armies of the night, the purveyors of nitwittery, the retailers of intellectual junk food, the feeders on mental cardboard, for their ignorance keeps them from distinguishing nectar from sewage. — Isaac Asimov
Whole lee shit

United States
12/19/2012 08:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah WTF? Too many user tap out the server?

Is it against rules to film the sky??

Last Edited by Whole lee shit on 12/19/2012 08:45 PM

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18713240
United States
12/19/2012 08:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
why was Jupiter looking tilted in the telescope view?
Lotus Flower

User ID: 16091860
United Kingdom
Report Abusive Post
[link to justin.tv]

Hey what happened? It says your channel was shut down due to TOS violation.
 Quoting: BoxerLvr

FFS!!!

I just viewed this too, all of three minutes ago, where did it go??? sad
Lotus

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares - Hebrews 13:2

One Crowded hour of glorious life, is worth an age without a name - Thomas Osbert Mordaunt
sacred energy

User ID: 30367292
Australia

Report Abusive Post
5 stars
 Quoting: JUST HERE

oops2

GLP