Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

is 25 too late to learn a martial art?

BRIEF

User ID: 31033836
United States
12/28/2012 06:16 PM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: is 25 too late to learn a martial art?
I helped a 75-year old grandmother earn her black belt in my younger days. It took her several years to get there, but she definitely earned it. She could break a 1" thick hardwood plank by the time she was awarded the belt, and was quite effective in most other areas.

In short, anyone can do just about anything they set their mind on. You just need to be thoughtful, deliberate and persistent in your approach.
 Quoting: SaveUSa

Hardwood, like Oak, or do you mean pine?
 Quoting: BRIEF

Oak

1" thick oak board, I'd like to see that...pallets are made of much smaller planks of oak and you damn near need a nail gun to penetrate them...
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18516406
United States
12/28/2012 06:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

you clowns no nothing about martial arts.

he needs to train MIXED MARTIAL ARTS!!

do you fucking understand that?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17186349

Got it.. wink

:pantysniffing:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25765737
Netherlands
12/28/2012 06:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Muay Thai if you want martial art based on striking. Elbows, knee,leg,fist.

Or Muay Boran, it's the trational form of Muay Thai. It's way more deadly and effective. I trained it for 2 years, still love it.

Or BJJ for the ground work.
Monk Meat

User ID: 23229603
United States
12/28/2012 06:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

If you really took any kind of martial art, be it mixed or otherwise, and this is how you really feel, then A..you just don't get it, and B..your instructors failed or are just plain lousy.
SaveUSa

User ID: 20038946
United States
12/28/2012 06:20 PM

Report Abusive Post
With the grain, not too difficult at an inch. Anything thicker though takes a bit of focus.

We had a very traditional instructor that did not believe in the "feel good" martial arts of today.
Within the surreal depths of "reality" lies the truth.
Patrick Bateman

User ID: 30442591
United States
12/28/2012 06:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Op, def not, go for it. Yes, you will be behind most others but so is everyone when they start.

I would be careful in your choosing though, most are shit against anyone who knows how to fight, and only works vs people of the same style, or retards.

I have compteded in wrestling ni boxing via hs and college, and also trained in BJJ, Mauy Thai, tae kwon do, and a couple others.

If you are sticking to one, I would recommend, bar none, either BJJ or Mauy Thai. BJJ is not much striking, but lots of submissions, and has proven better than any other martial art via the UFC, esp when it first started and everyone was 1 or 2 styles, rather than the diverse sport mma has evolved into. BJJ is fun as hell too.

If you want to become great at striking, Maui Thai is the way to go.

Stay a way from your more conventional martial arts though, just saying. My one roommate in college was a national champ(not exaggerating)... Before, I even started training mma, I was only a boxer/wrestler, I dodged a kick and knocked him out cold in about 6 seconds. This was before I was even a good boxer.
SaveUSa

User ID: 20038946
United States
12/28/2012 06:22 PM

Report Abusive Post
With the grain, not too difficult at an inch. Anything thicker though takes a bit of focus.

We had a very traditional instructor that did not believe in the "feel good" martial arts of today.

This was in reply to BRIEF BTW. Not sure why the quote button didn't work.
Within the surreal depths of "reality" lies the truth.
Patrick Bateman

United States
Report Abusive Post
Muay Thai if you want martial art based on striking. Elbows, knee,leg,fist.

Or Muay Boran, it's the trational form of Muay Thai. It's way more deadly and effective. I trained it for 2 years, still love it.

Or BJJ for the ground work.
 Quoting: Tigershield

Lol see. This wasn't posted when I started writing my post. Great advice!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24400019
United States
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

Garbage. He needs to roll around on the ground making love you say. Nah kung fu. That's the most effective. I know by experiencein several . If he's gonna do mixed martial he may as well get a girlfriend, unless he's into guys
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25765737
Netherlands
12/28/2012 06:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Op, def not, go for it. Yes, you will be behind most others but so is everyone when they start.

I would be careful in your choosing though, most are shit against anyone who knows how to fight, and only works vs people of the same style, or retards.

I have compteded in wrestling ni boxing via hs and college, and also trained in BJJ, Mauy Thai, tae kwon do, and a couple others.

If you are sticking to one, I would recommend, bar none, either BJJ or Mauy Thai. BJJ is not much striking, but lots of submissions, and has proven better than any other martial art via the UFC, esp when it first started and everyone was 1 or 2 styles, rather than the diverse sport mma has evolved into. BJJ is fun as hell too.

If you want to become great at striking, Maui Thai is the way to go.

Stay a way from your more conventional martial arts though, just saying. My one roommate in college was a national champ(not exaggerating)... Before, I even started training mma, I was only a boxer/wrestler, I dodged a kick and knocked him out cold in about 6 seconds. This was before I was even a good boxer.
 Quoting: Patrick Bateman

True !!

Muay Thai, or the ancestor of Muay Thai called Muay Boran. It's striking but has allot of bonebreaking moves. And they really work. Even in stress situation.
Patrick Bateman

United States
12/28/2012 06:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

Garbage. He needs to roll around on the ground making love you say. Nah kung fu. That's the most effective. I know by experiencein several . If he's gonna do mixed martial he may as well get a girlfriend, unless he's into guys
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24400019

LMAO are you high? It is shit. It works vs nothing but other kung fu fighters. Lmao, god I miss watching the early UFC's sometimes.

Last Edited by Patrick Bateman on 12/28/2012 06:26 PM
Patrick Bateman

United States
12/28/2012 06:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
I mean if OP doesn't think he will ever use it and just wants a hobby, sure a traditional style will be fine, but just remember it won't ever work.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17186349
Australia
12/28/2012 06:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

If you really took any kind of martial art, be it mixed or otherwise, and this is how you really feel, then A..you just don't get it, and B..your instructors failed or are just plain lousy.
 Quoting: Monk Meat

I feel strongly about it because at 25 he hasn't got time to waste on ineffective old fashioned worthless crap.

Aikido is a joke, all that fancy crap is fine till you get punched in the face.

MMA is what works, if he wants the best results in the shortest ammount of time he needs to train MMA.
Anonymous Coward
Australia
12/28/2012 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
bateman knows the score

by the way ,look for dos santos to keep his title this weekend
AlkaliDesert

User ID: 14239828
United States
Report Abusive Post
Go with the teacher, not the style. My tai chi instructor was one of the most negative people I ever met, and the aikido sensei was quite definitely not relaxing in the slightest.

Figure out what is truly worthwhile in your area and go there.
sssss

User ID: 30737738
Australia
Report Abusive Post
Just buy a Glock. Cheaper, and more effective.
 Quoting: last one

Learn Crav Maga and a glock will loose 60% of its effectiveness :P
THE CHANGE IS COMING!
Spiritual Guidance, Spirit Guide communication, Shamanism & Kundalini.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9014106
Australia
12/28/2012 06:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
25 is young!

I started kung fu in my 40s.
Patrick Bateman

United States
12/28/2012 06:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

I feel strongly about it because at 25 he hasn't got time to waste on ineffective old fashioned worthless crap.

MMA is what works, if he wants the best results in the shortest ammount of time he needs to train MMA.

So true. Some good advice from him.
Dapurps

User ID: 30803443
Canada
12/28/2012 06:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
The earlier the better but no its definitely not to late.

Get into Muay Thai it's awesome.
"What you perceive to be becomes your reality."

:ftwpanda:

dapurps
Monk Meat

United States
12/28/2012 06:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

Some people are smart enough to avert situations where they would just get "punched in the face." and growing up in Philly, I understand this.

ANY martial art should be a last resort option.

Usually these guys who go to "Ed's MMA School" are the ones who go struttin' around looking for trouble thinking they're bad asses and wind up getting their asses handed to them.
Patrick Bateman

United States
12/28/2012 06:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

Some people are smart enough to avert situations where they would just get "punched in the face." and growing up in Philly, I understand this.

Usually these guys who go to "Ed's MMA School" are the ones who go struttin' around looking for trouble thinking they're bad asses and wind up getting their asses handed to them.

LMAO you serious. Renzo Gracie!! For a philly MMA gym. Better than fight factory too.
Patrick Bateman

United States
12/28/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
aikido is shit too

Oh I almost forgot, no matter how "smart" you might be, you cannot ALWAYS chose what position you are in.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22361449
United States
12/28/2012 06:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Absolutely not. That's when i started. No problem. Just be diligent. More important, commencing got me interested in Asian culture, especially in studying esoteric Taoism and Buddhism; and in studying chi kung/energy healing as in Reiki, for example/tai chi as well. What, finally, makes you "good" in MA are those energy practices.

They are what make you fast, healthy and most importantly, wiser. Don't neglect them. The physical practicing of forms/sets and sparring, etc. are fine, but the energy work is what makes one a "master" -- eventually. 47 years later i'm still practicing very athletically, and especially very seriously with those energy aspects. I easily pass for 55 and i can access all of the vital energy i need to easily keep up with someone in their 20s. MA, including its energy work component is a lifetime's discipline. Good luck !!
Patrick Bateman

United States
12/28/2012 06:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
bateman knows the score

by the way ,look for dos santos to keep his title this weekend

Yeah he probably will, I need to check out the card.

Also to the op, my best friend is a pro fighter. He was a d1 wrestler in college then turned to MMA. He was 7-1 amateur and is now 3-0 pro. Needless to say his full time job now is training and he would tell you the same things that I and our mate from Australia have been.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14155246
United States
12/28/2012 06:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
before you decide on a disipline, decide if you are a boxer or a grappler by nature. If you have boxing stamina and propensity then the punching /kicking arts are the way to go, if you are a grappler , the BBJ floor arts. Otherwise you will be struggling to find your optimal niche, I started in late 20's with TKD and realized I was a grappler .

best of luck
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8397139
United States
12/28/2012 06:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
seems like everyone started while they were a kid
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25898128

No, dude! Not too late!

Get out and get with it.

I wish I were still 25.

cheers and good luck to you!
Monk Meat

United States
12/28/2012 06:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

Oh I almost forgot, no matter how "smart" you might be, you cannot ALWAYS chose what position you are in.

If you mean position as in what situation you're in where there's a strong likelihood of being punched undeservedly, you're right. Sometimes shit luck is on your side. But most times, smart people can see shit coming and act accordingly so as to avoid it.

Don't get me wrong..if I were planning on fighting competitively, mma is the way to go. muay thai, jj and wrestling and/or judo.

But if we're talking about what the OP described, then mma, in my opinion is overkill.

BTW..I've been following mma since day 1.

Last Edited by Swearengen on 12/28/2012 06:57 PM
Monk Meat

United States
12/28/2012 07:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

LMAO you serious. Renzo Gracie!! For a philly MMA gym. Better than fight factory too.

I know who Renzo is..I know what fight factory is..I know what mma is..I know what Philly is...yet I have no clue what you're saying..
Anonymous Coward
Australia
12/28/2012 07:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
rocky marciano started boxing at 23 and ken norton started at 25

both became world champions.
last one
I just don't give a fuck

User ID: 30472255
United States
12/28/2012 07:04 PM

Report Abusive Post
Just buy a Glock. Cheaper, and more effective.
 Quoting: last one

Learn Crav Maga and a glock will loose 60% of its effectiveness :P
 Quoting: sssss

Not unless your arms are 30 feet long, it won't.cruise
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.---Grandpa

Rednecks, hillbillies, and cowboys will save the nation---me

I dreamed I was drinkin', woke up and I was

"we put our faith in maniacs"- Lemmy Kilmister

GLP