Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,501 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 468,564
Pageviews Today: 755,852Threads Today: 210Posts Today: 3,896
07:58 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Can someone living on in the Northeast U.S. go look at the moon please?! WAAAY too bright!

The Sonic Dreamer
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 19453308
United States
12/28/2012 08:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Can someone living on in the Northeast U.S. go look at the moon please?! WAAAY too bright!
I was just outside (approx. 8:30 p.m.) and was startled by a light being cast on my neighbors roof. I thought, what the hell is that bright light being reflected off his roof? Is there a helicopter? But I don't hear one. It's as bright as the lights at the top of a pole surrounding a high school football field illuminated at night!

Sure enough, I walked around my house and saw the moon, casting way more light than I can ever remember in my life.

Now, I do know it is a very clear night here in southern New England, and yes it is a full moon. But, if the skies were so clear, then wouldn't more stars be visible as well?

The moon is giving off a bluish light, sterile light as if from a 6500k daylight bulb.

It appears way too bright. I can not ever remember seeing a moon so bright.

full disclosure: I am completely sober and drug-free. Yes I have seen the video of the pot-head who claims the moon is a projection.

I don't know why the moon appears so bright, but I always thought the Harvest Moon was supposed to be the brightest full moon of the year.

Please go outside and tell me what you think!
Currently working on:
Bach: Invention No. 1
Joplin: Maple Leaf Rag
Mendelssohn: Tarantella Op.102 no.3
Mendelssohn: Venetian Boat Song Op. 19 no. 6 (both from 'Songs Without Words')
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5240732
United States
12/28/2012 08:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Can someone living on in the Northeast U.S. go look at the moon please?! WAAAY too bright!
I noticed it, but it's no brighter than many other full moons I've seen the during the past few years. (But I do swear it HAS been brighter the past few years than in the past!) Perhaps the high, thin clouds surrounding it are reflecting more light? 1dunno1
Triangular triangulation

User ID: 30986094
United States
12/28/2012 08:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Can someone living on in the Northeast U.S. go look at the moon please?! WAAAY too bright!
It is super bright here in NH, spraying chemmys on the sun today with the traditional X's. Something is going on this week. Jupiter is also super tonight, anybody with a telescope able to measure luminosity for future comparison we need more science, facts, it's getting to late for speculation.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29818235
United States
12/28/2012 08:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
it is not bright..its just full and the atmosphere is very thin with moisture making it appear bright
30 year old
User ID: 5621442
United States
12/28/2012 08:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
i remember walking home many a night with a full bright moon lighting the way. The cold crisp air probly lets the light shine in clearer then warm humid hazy air. and a bright moon will drown out the light of the stars, same reason you cant se a meteor shower very well during a full moon. cant you remember sliding all through the night as a kid? and all that white reflective snow too.
KillerKoodaaa

User ID: 30481468
Canada
12/28/2012 08:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
i tried lookin at in my scope, but it tried to fry out my eye ball,cant even pick up any thing its so bright, never happened before,can only look for a fewe seconds before i gotta stop for a bit
baffle m with briliance,or startle m with stupidity. everbody outta the pool.
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/28/2012 08:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
i tried lookin at in my scope, but it tried to fry out my eye ball,cant even pick up any thing its so bright, never happened before,can only look for a fewe seconds before i gotta stop for a bit
 Quoting: KillerKoodaaa

use a filter
The Sonic Dreamer  (OP)

User ID: 19453308
United States
12/28/2012 08:52 PM
Report Abusive Post

EXCUSE ME! Can't you see in the thread title, that I only requested people living in the northeast U.S. to go moon peeping?!?!

just kidding! In fact, I am pretty ignorant about stargazing and related science. I know that the moon appears in different phases for different areas of the world, but I am not sure if that goes for longitude, latitude, or what.

Perhaps this is just all in my imagination. And, yes, I can remember the moon being visible as a child, and the way it illuminated the snow blanketed ground. But this looks like it is powered light, the way the sun is powered light. It does not appear as just a reflection, to my untrained eye, anyway.

Is it possible that the sun is shining brighter/hotter/different UV wavelengths, which is being reflected off the moon, which would account for the moon appearing much brighter than it did 10-20-30 years ago??
Currently working on:
SkinnyChic

User ID: 31046723
United States
12/28/2012 08:57 PM

Report Abusive Post
Hi OP! Arizona here. I agree, it's not just a full moon..it is unusually bright as well.
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/28/2012 09:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
it is normal..nothing is funny about the brightness of the moon, i have been filming the moon for over 3 years now and trust me the brightness of the moon tonight is nothing more than a clear sky without atmospheric distubance
beeches

User ID: 28167778
United States
12/28/2012 10:33 PM

Report Abusive Post
OP you are not crazy.

A few hours ago here in mid-atlantic area, Philly area, I looked out and wondered who was shining a light on the house next door.

It made me sick because I hate light pollution. It was a light like I have not seen in the 5 years we have lived here.
This is not a bullshit thread.
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face – Thomas Sowell
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30760504
United States
12/28/2012 10:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hang on let me hit the dimmer switch
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30760504
United States
12/28/2012 10:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
there is that better
Dapurps

User ID: 30803443
Canada
12/28/2012 10:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

use a filter
 Quoting: dolamite

this lol
"What you perceive to be becomes your reality."

:ftwpanda:

dapurps
beeches

User ID: 28167778
United States
12/28/2012 10:39 PM

Report Abusive Post
there is that better
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 30760504

You have a sense of humor, but I have great eyesight.
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face – Thomas Sowell
Light to Go

User ID: 8545334
United States
12/28/2012 11:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Maine here, the moon is not only bright, but has a light blue ring around it.
Untroubled, Scornful, Outrageous-That is how Wisdom wants us to be!
White Genocide: 1900AD @ 35% - Today less than 8% of the earth's population
Sophia's Correction
Da fuq

User ID: 16258666
United States
12/28/2012 11:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don't listen to lesser evolved people and shills op.

Thread: Moon looks so bright tonight.

Something cometh.
Da fuq

United States
12/28/2012 11:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
it is normal..nothing is funny about the brightness of the moon, i have been filming the moon for over 3 years now and trust me the brightness of the moon tonight is nothing more than a clear sky without atmospheric distubance
 Quoting: dolamite

siren2shillsiren2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25463516
United States
12/28/2012 11:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Read a great short story once about a guy who lived in a hi rise apt building. He was out one night on a full moon, and noticed the moon was extraordinarily bright. Being a thinking person, he realized that could only mean one thing- massive ELE solar flare. So he goes to the liquor store and maxes his credit cards out on Dom perignon, booze, hella snacks, and smokes and heads to the penthouse apartment to ride out the huge flood (Global Coastal Event) he knew was coming..

Think he got his girlfriend to come over for panic sex too. Cant remember anything else, could be a clue though...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16951501
United States
12/28/2012 11:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Funny, I thought the same thing just
A while ago... Seems very bright tonight.

In Vegas.
Da fuq

United States
12/28/2012 11:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30987181
United States
12/28/2012 11:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was just outside (approx. 8:30 p.m.) and was startled by a light being cast on my neighbors roof. I thought, what the hell is that bright light being reflected off his roof? Is there a helicopter? But I don't hear one. It's as bright as the lights at the top of a pole surrounding a high school football field illuminated at night!

Sure enough, I walked around my house and saw the moon, casting way more light than I can ever remember in my life.

Now, I do know it is a very clear night here in southern New England, and yes it is a full moon. But, if the skies were so clear, then wouldn't more stars be visible as well?

The moon is giving off a bluish light, sterile light as if from a 6500k daylight bulb.

It appears way too bright. I can not ever remember seeing a moon so bright.

full disclosure: I am completely sober and drug-free. Yes I have seen the video of the pot-head who claims the moon is a projection.

I don't know why the moon appears so bright, but I always thought the Harvest Moon was supposed to be the brightest full moon of the year.

Please go outside and tell me what you think!
 Quoting: The Sonic Dreamer

You're an idiot, go back to school, the moon can be very bright and stop this useless conspiracy crap on the "brightness" of the moon! Is that all you got????? stupid ass...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26795689
United States
12/28/2012 11:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Last night there was a lot of low cloud cover pasing over and the moon was creating a beautiful orange colored halo to appear in the passing clouds... It was sweet.
saturn12

User ID: 30206257
United States
12/28/2012 11:35 PM

Report Abusive Post
ya... we went through this last night....LA CA here...Moon is soooooo bright..I honestly could not look at it !!!!

I.E. SUN VERY VERY BRIGHT>>>>.... all of nasa's links to the sun are WRONG!!! they are all photo shopped....
the moon is also...NOT there ...Not real....WAKE UP FOLKS!!!
Never Enough Wine!!
saturn12

User ID: 30206257
United States
12/28/2012 11:35 PM

Report Abusive Post
bumpbumpIdol1bump
Never Enough Wine!!
Da fuq

United States
12/28/2012 11:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
ya... we went through this last night....LA CA here...Moon is soooooo bright..I honestly could not look at it !!!!

I.E. SUN VERY VERY BRIGHT>>>>.... all of nasa's links to the sun are WRONG!!! they are all photo shopped....
the moon is also...NOT there ...Not real....WAKE UP FOLKS!!!
 Quoting: saturn12

Sun is burnin out.
Thread: Sun is Blinding right now in So Cal.

Last Edited by Da fuq on 12/28/2012 11:37 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6411376
United States
12/28/2012 11:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Northeast here. I expected to go outside, come back and call you a tard. But thanks. Fucking gorgeous, it is really bright. So bright it is lighting up the entire clear sky.

Awesome sight.

Don't know if it is just me but I see some "rings" around it because of the brightness.
Da fuq

United States
12/29/2012 12:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump1
The Sonic Dreamer  (OP)

User ID: 24247680
United States
12/29/2012 12:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Woah! Clyde Lewis just opened the midnite hour (EST) of Ground Zero Radio with:
"The moon is extra bright tonight! It is a full moon, but it is extra bright...don't know what that means."
Currently working on:
MCB

User ID: 26816346
United States
12/29/2012 12:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Try standing farther back from it... that should help.

MCB
To measure a circle - start anywhere... Charles Fort

Total Choas!

Belief is the enemy - John Keel

Is it a coincidence that right there in the middle of the word "believe" is the word "lie?"

When less are born, less will die... Varzan

War is the first casualty of Truth.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit - "No one cuts me with impunity..."

Invisible College Press
www.invispress.com
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31139947
Italy
12/30/2012 07:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nice thread OP I have noticed too these days

GLP