Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,098 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 163,373
Pageviews Today: 277,047Threads Today: 85Posts Today: 1,716
04:04 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

GLP How many of us are sick today ?????unidentified respiratory illness?????Post if you cant stop coughing!!!!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18381151
United States
01/12/2013 07:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: GLP How many of us are sick today ?????unidentified respiratory illness?????Post if you cant stop coughing!!!!
Today I decided to laugh instead of cry when my coughing goes out of control. I say out loud, "it's all good."

It's really helping my attitude about life and the meaning of compassion for deterioration.

:hanginthere:
Don'tBeAfraid

User ID: 31957106
United States
01/12/2013 08:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: GLP How many of us are sick today ?????unidentified respiratory illness?????Post if you cant stop coughing!!!!

uh, ok. my wife was one of the 13. she is vegan and an alternative lifestyle tree hugger new ager... i'm an asshole and eat mcdonalds, drink hfcs straight up... oh and i smoke... yet HER guts are rotting, not mine :)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 3946954

Well you have a stout constitution! I added some things while you posted. Re-read my reply. Some of it, might help her.

Total vegan? I hope not. While milk is not a great food, kefir is a very good food. I hope she considers eating some of it.

A woman as she gets 30+ need good sources of calcium. Beans are rich in them, but a lot of calcium in vegan food is poorly absorbed and hence not bioavailable in high numbers. Some of those calcium sources also have oxalate in them, and hence in a woman could cause gallstones.
 Quoting: Don'tBeAfraid

you don't understand she is the one in my circle of people handing out this advise and long before she ever got it. she hates the way i eat and i can barely afford the way she wants to/ does eat. same with my aunt, she was always offended at the way i was raised and the foods i ate. guess who got diagnosed last year? yup, her.

everyone i know, including me, who live polar opposite to your advise have little to no health problems. i am actually very concerned and am trying to figure out the major difference in diet, between me and them. the only thing i have so far is they ate seafood, i can't stand it. unfortunately that is not the answer i am looking for, because i know plenty of people that eat seafood that don't have that problem.

i actually feel really bad for my wife and 10 of the 13 others. they care and go to great efforts to care for themselves. while people like me will just up and have a massive heart attack... boom done with it! while they fall apart slowly and suffer for decades...

Again, it is not what they are eating or not eating. It is their thinking. Sometimes people who eat 'healthy' or live so called healthy lives can and do become very judgmental and that just wrecks them up inside. They become very uptight and their body follows. You on the other hand seem to be a live and let live kind of person who isn't going to take much crap from anyone because you do what you want to do and let others do what they want. You most likely let things go and are relaxed. With an attitude like that you will outlive many people who are trying to do the so called right thing and are pissed off with their lifestyle because others aren't following along with what they think is right. I guess you see where I am coming from. Google up if you want the emotional aspects of health and you will find that thinking and attitude are everything.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1550123

Stress and Inflammation might be the top two reasons for ALL illness. That's shocking but true.

I want you to imagine that you have instincts inside you, because you are a special species that God made, but still a species. When we fear something, even if not there, it induces a "fear" response. It's called in medicine "flight or fight". It induces blood to go to the limbs so we can powerfully create force with our muscles to have explosive power like a lion leaping on its prey. Our lungs have MORE lung capacity. Our eyes dialate so we can see more.

When most people feel stress, they're thinking they must fight or flee something. When this happens, your adrenal glands release adrenalin and induces these actions.

You see this in guys and some women. They get angry. Their shoulders tense up and they say, "Argh. I'm gonna kill someone because they're being an ass!"

If it continues the body is used up in the process. It creates inflammation. It releases cortisol and this damages the body over time and is well established in medicine.

This creates ulcers, irritable bowel, weaken the immune system, created poor mental coping, anxiety, etc.

Keep that up, and it creates a feeling from stress that never abates. That leads to depression and hopelessness.
Many things in our diet cause inflammation. Phytochemicals from some plants do too. They cause an allergic response. Pathogens trigger inflammation.

You see this in long term exposure to stress. It happens in men and women. They feel like they're doomed and say, "I give up. Nothing works. I'm a failure."

Both cause pathological disease states and premature aging and lowered longevity and weakness results.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/12/2013 08:30 PM
AlkaliDesert

User ID: 21142664
United States
01/12/2013 08:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
If we have a pandemic, it may be very difficult to acquire calcium through ordinary means. It also may be difficult to acquire Vitamin D too. Today, calcium tablets most often come with both. For someone preparing and stocking up on supplies, it might be wisdom to also stock up on calcium tablets. They might prevent a cytokine storm or at least provide higher survivability.

The amount of vitamin D found in calcium supplements is relatively negligible (200IU in OS-Cal). While I suppose it is better than nothing, people going this route need to not try to take large doses of D as too much calcium can be harmful.

Lard from pastured pigs is a good natural source of vitamin D.
right?

User ID: 1388723
United States
01/12/2013 09:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
If we have a pandemic, it may be very difficult to acquire calcium through ordinary means. It also may be difficult to acquire Vitamin D too. Today, calcium tablets most often come with both. For someone preparing and stocking up on supplies, it might be wisdom to also stock up on calcium tablets. They might prevent a cytokine storm or at least provide higher survivability.

The amount of vitamin D found in calcium supplements is relatively negligible (200IU in OS-Cal). While I suppose it is better than nothing, people going this route need to not try to take large doses of D as too much calcium can be harmful.

Lard from pastured pigs is a good natural source of vitamin D.
 Quoting: AlkaliDesert

I have been supplementing with a biotics research D3 brand. ALONG with K2. I don't believe folks get enough Magnesium so there is an Oil I spray on my skin. I also supplement with Iodine/selenium, Vit C, CoQ10, reserveratrol, OILS mostly of the Omega 3 type - chlorophyll and spirulina. Yet I still got the bug! :( I am a HUGE oregano oil with water drinker. AND Pau D' arco tea. AND raw/local honey.

It was just meant to be. I can recall getting colds and flu as a child and it was no big deal. Measles. Tonsilitis. Even walking pneumonia.

Psssshhhhssshhh. I won't support Big Pharma any more. It's all marketing. And money to the stock holders. Fook them! cool2
Southern Lighthouse

User ID: 32073251
United States
01/12/2013 09:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Sick for 9 days now and the worst cough I've ever had in my life! I had a fever for the first 5 days. This is awful!
Love is the highest form of spiritual warfare.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1550123
United States
01/12/2013 09:19 PM
Report Abusive Post

Well you have a stout constitution! I added some things while you posted. Re-read my reply. Some of it, might help her.

Total vegan? I hope not. While milk is not a great food, kefir is a very good food. I hope she considers eating some of it.

A woman as she gets 30+ need good sources of calcium. Beans are rich in them, but a lot of calcium in vegan food is poorly absorbed and hence not bioavailable in high numbers. Some of those calcium sources also have oxalate in them, and hence in a woman could cause gallstones.

you don't understand she is the one in my circle of people handing out this advise and long before she ever got it. she hates the way i eat and i can barely afford the way she wants to/ does eat. same with my aunt, she was always offended at the way i was raised and the foods i ate. guess who got diagnosed last year? yup, her.

everyone i know, including me, who live polar opposite to your advise have little to no health problems. i am actually very concerned and am trying to figure out the major difference in diet, between me and them. the only thing i have so far is they ate seafood, i can't stand it. unfortunately that is not the answer i am looking for, because i know plenty of people that eat seafood that don't have that problem.

i actually feel really bad for my wife and 10 of the 13 others. they care and go to great efforts to care for themselves. while people like me will just up and have a massive heart attack... boom done with it! while they fall apart slowly and suffer for decades...

Again, it is not what they are eating or not eating. It is their thinking. Sometimes people who eat 'healthy' or live so called healthy lives can and do become very judgmental and that just wrecks them up inside. They become very uptight and their body follows. You on the other hand seem to be a live and let live kind of person who isn't going to take much crap from anyone because you do what you want to do and let others do what they want. You most likely let things go and are relaxed. With an attitude like that you will outlive many people who are trying to do the so called right thing and are pissed off with their lifestyle because others aren't following along with what they think is right. I guess you see where I am coming from. Google up if you want the emotional aspects of health and you will find that thinking and attitude are everything.

Stress and Inflammation might be the top two reasons for ALL illness. That's shocking but true.

I want you to imagine that you have instincts inside you, because you are a special species that God made, but still a species. When we fear something, even if not there, it induces a "fear" response. It's called in medicine "flight or fight". It induces blood to go to the limbs so we can powerfully create force with our muscles to have explosive power like a lion leaping on its prey. Our lungs have MORE lung capacity. Our eyes dialate so we can see more.

When most people feel stress, they're thinking they must fight or flee something. When this happens, your adrenal glands release adrenalin and induces these actions.

You see this in guys and some women. They get angry. Their shoulders tense up and they say, "Argh. I'm gonna kill someone because they're being an ass!"

If it continues the body is used up in the process. It creates inflammation. It releases cortisol and this damages the body over time and is well established in medicine.

This creates ulcers, irritable bowel, weaken the immune system, created poor mental coping, anxiety, etc.

Keep that up, and it creates a feeling from stress that never abates. That leads to depression and hopelessness.
Many things in our diet cause inflammation. Phytochemicals from some plants do too. They cause an allergic response. Pathogens trigger inflammation.

You see this in long term exposure to stress. It happens in men and women. They feel like they're doomed and say, "I give up. Nothing works. I'm a failure."

Both cause pathological disease states and premature aging and lowered longevity and weakness results.

Excellent explanation. People just need to recognize this and learn how to relieve stress since stress is always with us. It is the learning how to handle it that is the key to health. When people have made themselves sick with their thinking/stress that is when diet becomes very important to help heal them or else it all becomes a vicious cycle.

Talk about synchronicity. A family member just turned on "That 70's Show" and the grandmother who is a real witch is visiting. And guess what she has. Irritable bowel syndrome.LOL!
AlkaliDesert

User ID: 14239828
United States
01/12/2013 10:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
I work in an institutional setting where the flu vaccine is encouraged. I had some free time today and put together some numbers.

Out of 100 patients and staff:

77 got the flu shot. Of those:
26 were treated for respiratory problems since Dec. 1 (6 early).
9 had mild symptoms that weren't treated
42 had no symptoms

17 declined the flu shot. Of those:
3 were treated for respiratory problems since Dec. 1 (1 early)
2 had mild symptoms
12 had no symptoms

6 are status unknown. All of those have no symptoms.

(Incidentally, none have died, 2 of the early cases went to the hospital.)

Don't make too much of it - it's not particularly scientific. They haven't been swabbed, so there's no way of knowing how many actually had the official flu (though I'm quite sure some of them who got the vax did have the flu based on the symptoms).

These are not the actual numbers (I'm paranoid), but the percentages are roughly accurate, and the sample size is in the same ballpark (ie. I'm not basing this on a sample of 10 people or 1000).

The "early" ones had symptoms in late November/early December, while most had symptoms starting in late December. I suspect the early ones were not influenza.

Mild symptoms are largely based on my own recollection, and I suspect there are more people who have had mild symptoms.

This does not include anyone who had only digestive symptoms.

It should be kept in mind that those who have existing respiratory problems or immunocompromise are overall more likely to get the vaccine, while those who are comparatively healthy are more likely to decline it. So those who got the shot are probably more likely to get respiratory problems regardless.

Make of it what you will.

Last Edited by AlkaliDesert on 01/12/2013 10:36 PM
Sol Neman

User ID: 31039469
United States
01/12/2013 11:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
This illness seems to be affecting all different types of people. It doesn't seem to matter if you take the vaccine, vitamins and/or supplements, never get sick or are always coming down with something. I've noticed those that take vitamin D (diet or supplement) combined with a healthy diet seem to be fairing the best, having either not come down with the illness or only mild symptoms have been felt.

I'm curious if there are other factors that have not been taken into consideration. I am curious if it has anything to do with genetics or perhaps blood type. Another factor could be prescription/otc drugs taken regularly as well.

As for myself I have not taken the vaccine. I don't take any prescription drugs and very rarely take any kind of OTC drug. I prefer herbal alternatives. I am RH+, normally my supplements consist of B Complex w/Zinc, C 1000mg, D3 5000IU, Magnesium 500mg, St Johns Wort 900mg & Ginko Biloba 120mg. Since everyone started getting sick at work I have doubled my B Complex, C and D3 supplements. I eat mostly fresh, organic or natural foods. I consume a piece of dark chocolate daily, have at least a glass of red wine a day and drink coffee every morning. This isn't a whole lot different than what many on here have said they do yet they are sick and I am not.

At work for example there are 5 others in the office with me everyday. They all got the flu shot and 4 of 5 have had it with noticeable symptoms, 1 had to take a few days off, she is also the person that is sick most often and has many health issues. So I know I've been exposed to some nasty bugs yet I haven't had one symptom.

How about the rest of you?

Last Edited by Sol Neman on 01/12/2013 11:25 PM
Educate and inform the whole mass of the people...They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty ~ Thomas Jefferson
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/12/2013 11:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's frustrating, but we won't know for a little while about how many cases there are.All along I have been saying to prepare and telling people how to diagnose, treat naturally, how to use OTC medicines, differetial diagnoses, nasal rinses, Vitamin D, C, diet, lymphatic drainage pump, garlic, home made cough syrup, etc.

When I say, don't worry, it means be prepared, learn skills, be measured, don't panic. One should be concerned when it increased in the number of patients, gets deadlier, causes deaths, many more hospitalizations, more and more tents, states of emergency, routine governor meetings, state pandemic planning sessions, blah blah blah.

The more you are prepared, and learn, the less you are concerned. Most of the time, the world is not ending right? People think and get focused upon doom.

If you can learn how to handle yourself more and more, then most people get more alert, focused, and work the problem, Panic and being overly concerned wastes energy. It doesn't help.

Now...things could get bad. In fact I have a seperate topic on "How would we know if there was a pandemic?" I also have a 1000 posts on how to handle things if there was a disaster or the SHTF. See my sig.

That's different because of this topic.

Re:Stress

If you know someone who is stressed, and 99% of you are stressed...a lot! Then if you're in a relationship, exchange massages when not sick with an infection. If you faithfully do that for 40 days, I bet your relationship will be 100% better. You'll become very connnected. Your sex life and romance will soar like an eagle. You'll have better orgasms. You will get better kisses. Someone will jump in the shower with you!

A little nightly massage and taking turns will lead to things like people staying healthier by destressing. Forgiveness for what used to be really annoying behavior. Less arguing which makes everyone have ulcers including your children who are listening. Small kindnesses. Unexpected presents. More home cooking and DESSERT!

Isn't that worth 20 minutes of your time?

If you destress, your immune system won't have to fight inflammation all the dang time. You won't get sick and then a month or more later still be fighting it. That's abnormal.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/12/2013 11:25 PM
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/12/2013 11:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
This illness seems to be affecting all different types of people. It doesn't seem to matter if you take the vaccine, vitamins and/or supplements, never get sick or are always coming down with something. I've noticed those that take vitamin D (diet or supplement) combined with a healthy diet seem to be fairing the best, having either not come down with the illness or only mild symptoms have been felt.

I'm curious if there are other factors that have not been taken into consideration. I am curious if it has anything to do with genetics or perhaps blood type. Another factor could be prescription/otc drugs taken regularly as well.

As for myself I have not taken the vaccine. I don't take any prescription drugs and very rarely take any kind of OTC drug. I prefer herbal alternatives. I am RH+, normally my supplements consist of B Complex w/Zinc, C 1000mg, D3 5000IU, Magnesium 500mg, St Johns Wort 900mg & Ginko Biloba 120mg. Since everyone started getting sick at work I have doubled my B Complex, C and D3 supplements. I eat mostly fresh, organic or natural foods. I consume a piece of dark chocolate daily, have at least a glass of red wine a day and drink coffee every morning. This isn't a whole lot different than what many on here have said they do yet they are sick and I am not.

At work for example there are 5 others in the office with me everyday. They all got the flu shot and 4 of 5 have had it with noticeable symptoms, 1 had to take a few days off, she is also the person that is sick most often and has many health issues. So I know I've been exposed to some nasty bugs yet I haven't had one symptom.

Quoting: Sol Neman

Sol Neman, on the "How would we know if a pandemic was happening?" topic I put up two research articles. They did a study of the 1918 Pandemic and correclated UVB levels of sunshine. It matched up that those with less sunshine exposure were more likely to have high case-fatalities. Then another study was on arsenic in the groundwater versus the activation of cytokine storm deaths.

It's possible that those are two factors which contribute to lower immune response in the first one and higher and dealier immune response in the latter. We don't know.

All pandemic flu will have multifactorial causes. Of course higher stress people will have less white blood cells or impaired immune response. Poor diet will make things worse. Poor education about the kinds of simple things one can do to prevent and maintain good respiratory health.

You're doing a lot of good things there as your protocol to optimize health. I hope you're not on SSRIs and taking that St.John's Wort too. That could lead to a severe things called Serotonin Shock. St. John's Wort taken routinely by itself would boost your serotonin and give you a sense of well being.

For memory, instead of Ginko Bilboa, have you considered using Theanine or taking Green Tea capsules?

Re: Vitamin D

Yeah I believe in it. I don't know that taking excessive amounts are right. I want people to get outside some, especially as it warms up. The amount in calcium tablets is low, that is true. It's better to have some on hand, so I reccommended it, for if things get bad, a lot of children could be undernourished. Whatever I recommend, people will buy less.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/12/2013 11:43 PM
Sol Neman

United States
01/12/2013 11:47 PM
Report Abusive Post

SOl Neman, on the "How would we know if a pandemic was happening?" topic I put up two research articles. They did a study of the 1918 Pandemic and correclated UVB levels of sunshine. It matched up that those with less sunshine exposure were more likely to have high case-fatalities. Then another study was on arsenic in the groundwater versus the activation of cytokind storm deaths.

It's possible that those are two factors which contribute to lower immune response in the first one and higher and dealier immune response in the latter. We don't know.

All pandemic flu will have multifactorial causes. Of course higher stress people will have less white blood cells or impaired immune response. Poor diet will make things worse. Poor education about the kinds of simple things one can do to prevent and maintain good respiratory health.

I read that thread and the study you are referring to. I found the study very interesting. I've read a few other studies similar online. It is very compelling evidence in the support of vitamin D3, especially for those that are located far north or south of the equator. I think magnesium plays a large part as well because without it and D3 your body cannot absorb any other mineral or vitamin very well. I also think that genetics play a large part in your health. I completely agree with you that there are many simple things you can do to keep yourself more healthy yet very few educate themselves.
Educate and inform the whole mass of the people...They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty ~ Thomas Jefferson
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/12/2013 11:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

SOl Neman, on the "How would we know if a pandemic was happening?" topic I put up two research articles. They did a study of the 1918 Pandemic and correclated UVB levels of sunshine. It matched up that those with less sunshine exposure were more likely to have high case-fatalities. Then another study was on arsenic in the groundwater versus the activation of cytokind storm deaths.

I read that thread and the study you are referring to. I found the study very interesting. I've read a few other studies similar online. It is very compelling evidence in the support of vitamin D3, especially for those that are located far north or south of the equator. I think magnesium plays a large part as well because without it and D3 your body cannot absorb any other mineral or vitamin very well. I also think that genetics play a large part in your health. I completely agree with you that there are many simple things you can do to keep yourself more healthy yet very few educate themselves.

Magnesium, calcium, and Vitamin D form a triad. The contraction of muscle needs calcium and magnesium. It's what causes the intensity of the contraction. That's why taking it internally must be done cautiously. Magnesium has a laxative effect for this reason as the smooth muscles contract more in conjunction with calcium levels. Make sense?

The less you have a bowel movement (gross I know), the longer a anaerobic bacteria collection is inside your system. This can make you ill.

Calcium will not work well and form strong bone tissue unless there is Vitamin D.

They're all tied together.

You have three kinds of muscles: skeletal (ones like biceps), smooth (respiration and digestion) and cardiac.

Get the CaMg out of whack and all three systems are out of whack.

Take too much then you could have breathing trouble, digestion trouble, heart trouble, etc.

Too low, and people feel weak when lifting weights, cramping, trouble evacuating, poor lung capacity and cyanosis.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/12/2013 11:58 PM
AlkaliDesert

User ID: 14239828
United States
01/12/2013 11:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have noticed, since dropping grains and dairy from my diet two years ago, that any respiratory illness I get is less severe - I'll feel like I'm coming down with something occassionally, but it never really takes hold, and I don't get congested. This was before I started taking any supplements.

Dairy, with it's mucogenic reputation, is the obvious culprit, but I've avoided dairy in the past without this much benefit. I do think the grains (especilly wheat?) make a real difference.

Also taking D3, C, b-complex, zinc, and a multivit, dosage varying depending on my needs. And I'm chewing a clove of garic a day. Yum :-)

Something is working, as I've had no more than an occassional throat tickle despite getting the flu shot.

(Edit: not drunk, just phone-posting..)

Last Edited by AlkaliDesert on 01/13/2013 12:05 AM
Sol Neman

United States
01/12/2013 11:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

Sol Neman, on the "How would we know if a pandemic was happening?" topic I put up two research articles. They did a study of the 1918 Pandemic and correclated UVB levels of sunshine. It matched up that those with less sunshine exposure were more likely to have high case-fatalities. Then another study was on arsenic in the groundwater versus the activation of cytokine storm deaths.

You're doing a lot of good things there as your protocol to optimize health. I hope you're not on SSRIs and taking that St.John's Wort too. That could lead to a severe things called Serotonin Shock. St. John's Wort taken routinely by itself would boost your serotonin and give you a sense of well being.

For memory, instead of Ginko Bilboa, have you considered using Theanine or taking Green Tea capsules?

Yeah I believe in it. I don't know that taking excessive amounts are right. I want people to get outside some, especially as it warms up. The amount in calcium tablets is low, that is true. It's better to have some on hand, so I reccommended it, for if things get bad, a lot of children could be undernourished. Whatever I recommend, people will buy less.

I do not take SSRI's, I would rather avoid any type of pharmaceutical and usually do. I have not considered green tea capsules and have never heard of Theanine. I will look in to those. Thanks for the info. I will not be taking that much D3 late spring/summer/early fall. I am pretty far north and work in an office so I don't have much opportunity to get in the sun especially this time of year due to shorter sunlight period. You're right it's pretty cold right now (high temp of 12 F today) and I'd have to completely cover up so it would defeat the purpose even I did go outside more.
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/13/2013 12:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have noticed, since dropping grains and airy crom my diet two years ago, that any respiratory illness I get is less severe - I'll feel like I'm coming down with something occassionally, but it never really takes hold, and I don't get congested. This was before I started taking any supplements.

Dairy is the obvious culprit, but I've avoided dairy in the past ithout this muh benefit. I do think the grains (especilly wheat?) make a real difference.

Also taking D3, C, b-complex, zinc, and a multivit, dosage varying depending on my needs. And I'm chewing a clove of garic a day. Yum :-)

Something is working, as I've had no more than an occassional throat tickle despite getting the flu shot.

Because of genetical modified wheat, there's a belief that we'll get worse illnesses and tumors. Obviously there's a stress component, but it might be digestive related due to GMO, plus we know we're seeing way too much Celiac and Crohn's Disease too.

Some people think that only calves should drink milk. I hope not because I love yogurt and kefir and milk in general. Because of lactase issues, a lot of people shouldn't drink milk.

If you like garlic, then try pickled garlic. I bet you find it delicious.
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/13/2013 12:06 AM
Report Abusive Post

I do not take SSRI's, I would rather avoid any type of pharmaceutical and usually do. I have not considered green tea capsules and have never heard of Theanine. I will look in to those. Thanks for the info. I will not be taking that much D3 late spring/summer/early fall. I am pretty far north and work in an office so I don't have much opportunity to get in the sun especially this time of year due to shorter sunlight period. You're right it's pretty cold right now (high temp of 12 F today) and I'd have to completely cover up so it would defeat the purpose even I did go outside more.

Theanine or taking Green Tea capsules creates very high alertness without nervousness. It makes you very focused and able to (well me anyway) be more creative, recall vocabulary, communicate better. It's quite extraordinary without the anxiety created from too much coffee. They are some of the nootropics or "smart drugs".
[link to en.wikipedia.org]
[link to www.nlm.nih.gov]

Some coffee is good, but most are making their heart race, which very bad. That causes hypertrophy of the heart, literally making it a very hard contraction SNAP the heart's pumping action, and often way way elevates blood pressure.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/13/2013 12:09 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17965061
Canada
01/13/2013 12:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ad Lib

User ID: 24338672
United States
01/13/2013 12:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
It really cannot be stressed enough the importance of maintaining adequate indoor humidity in the wintertime. Overly dry air causes the mucousal lining to crack, and it's much easier for pathogens to enter the lining through the small fissures in the respiratory tract and sinuses.

If you're not doing this.. you really need to start.. just boil water on the stovetop every day until it starts to condense on the windows. It makes an amazing difference!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid,
it is true that most stupid people are conservative.

John Stuart Mill
It's much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than a helping hand.
Mike Royko
Sol Neman

United States
01/13/2013 12:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have noticed, since dropping grains and airy crom my diet two years ago, that any respiratory illness I get is less severe - I'll feel like I'm coming down with something occassionally, but it never really takes hold, and I don't get congested. This was before I started taking any supplements.

Dairy, with it's mucogenic reputation, is the obvious culprit, but I've avoided dairy in the past ithout this muh benefit. I do think the grains (especilly wheat?) make a real difference.

I believe there are benefits of reducing the amount of cereal grains that are consumed as well. I believe the only reason we have the cereal grains that we do is because they were domesticated long ago to ferment for beer. That being said I don't think they were ever meant for human consumption on the level that they are so I try to reduce the amount I consume. I don't consume much dairy either. I try to have a cup of yogurt daily. I use un-salted butter and milk when required in certain recipes and will eat aged cheeses on occasion. That's about it.
Sol Neman

United States
01/13/2013 12:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
It really cannot be stressed enough the importance of maintaining adequate indoor humidity in the wintertime. Overly dry air causes the mucousal lining to crack, and it's much easier for pathogens to enter the lining through the small fissures in the respiratory tract and sinuses.

If you're not doing this.. you really need to start.. just boil water on the stovetop every day until it starts to condense on the windows. It makes an amazing difference!
 Quoting: Ad Lib

Great advice! I've have a humidifier going for weeks. It'll help keep your sinuses from drying up and causing nose bleeds in addition to what you said above. The air is very dry during the winter here.
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/13/2013 12:22 AM
Report Abusive Post

Dairy, with it's mucogenic reputation, is the obvious culprit, but I've avoided dairy in the past ithout this muh benefit. I do think the grains (especilly wheat?) make a real difference.

I believe there are benefits of reducing the amount of cereal grains that are consumed as well. I believe the only reason we have the cereal grains that we do is because they were domesticated long ago to ferment for beer. That being said I don't think they were ever meant for human consumption on the level that they are so I try to reduce the amount I consume. I don't consume much dairy either. I try to have a cup of yogurt daily. I use un-salted butter and milk when required in certain recipes and will eat aged cheeses on occasion. That's about it.

With urbanization, there was a switch to more grains. They store well, so lacking refrigeration then provide a protein and complex carb source. But the species we eat are not what they ate.

During the medieval period, grains made up the bulk of their diet. Milk too. Some eggs. Garden produce. Meat was consumed far less.

We eat a lot of meat by comparison. We know that saturated fat is bad when in excess. Looking at autopsies of even very young children, inside of their blood vessels is a lot of plaque and that is not normal. What we don't know is that a change in the species we're consuming, inflammatory states, stress, etc. Something is way out of whack there.
"Type I lesions are present even in children, and are composed of isolated foam cells in the arterial wall. "
[link to wiki.medpedia.com]

Tribal people eat more meat, but only the hunter gathers and then it was seasonal with jerky and fish jerky too. Acorns made up their cereal. Maple syrup supplemented in late winter.

There's a very important book called Tree Crops. It's old and free. He believed that the protein sources plus nutrient could greatly benefit human diet plus be inexpensive and produces a lot of calories and nutrients per acre.
[link to archive.org]

It's entirely possible that eating these might really help humanity

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/13/2013 12:27 AM
Sol Neman

United States
01/13/2013 12:27 AM
Report Abusive Post

Theanine or taking Green Tea capsules creates very high alertness without nervousness. It makes you very focused and able to (well me anyway) be more creative, recall vocabulary, communicate better. It's quite extraordinary without the anxiety created from too much coffee. They are some of the nootropics or "smart drugs".

Some coffee is good, but most are making their heart race, which very bad. That causes hypertrophy of the heart, literally making it a very hard contraction SNAP the heart's pumping action, and often way way elevates blood pressure.

Thanks for the info! As far as coffee is concerned I'll have 2 possibly 3 small cups in the morning during the work week and usually don't have any on the weekends. I wouldn't think that would be considered a lot.
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/13/2013 12:34 AM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks for the info! As far as coffee is concerned I'll have 2 possibly 3 small cups in the morning during the work week and usually don't have any on the weekends. I wouldn't think that would be considered a lot.

Here's what too much coffee does to the heart.
[link to maxshouse.com]
As the muscle is stimulated to contract and races, it makes the heart muscle get bulky like a guy lifting a lot of weights. That unfortunantly makes the ventricles, the big chamber of blood that squishes, it get narrower but bigger.
Each time it reduces how much blood can squirt but snaps the contractions HARD and then you get very high blood pressure but insufficient blood. The body say, "Heck, pump HARDER! I'm dying for blood. I'm not getting enough!" It runs away from itself.

Don't drink tons of coffee.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/13/2013 12:35 AM
Sol Neman

United States
01/13/2013 12:35 AM
Report Abusive Post

With urbanization, there was a switch to more grains. They store well, so lacking refrigeration then provide a protein and complex carb source. But the species we eat are not what they ate.

During the medieval period, grains made up the bulk of their diet. Milk too. Some eggs. Garden produce. Meat was consumed far less.

We eat a lot of meat by comparison. We know that saturated fat is bad when in excess. Looking at autopsies of even very young children, inside of their blood vessels is a lot of plaque and that is not normal. What we don't know is that a change in the species we're consuming, inflammatory states, stress, etc. Something is way out of whack there.
"Type I lesions are present even in children, and are composed of isolated foam cells in the arterial wall. "
[link to wiki.medpedia.com]

Tribal people eat more meat, but only the hunter gathers and then it was seasonal with jerky and fish jerky too. Acorns made up their cereal. Maple syrup supplemented in late winter.

There's a very important book called Tree Crops. It's old and free. He believed that the protein sources plus nutrient could greatly benefit human diet plus be inexpensive and produces a lot of calories and nutrients per acre.
[link to archive.org]

Medieval period had some of the worst epidemics known to man as well. There is also a big difference between lean wild game which would have been the meat of the hunter/gather and the meat we eat now that has a lot more fat content.
~Spaze*Man~

User ID: 32049361
United States
01/13/2013 12:39 AM

Report Abusive Post
Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is a bronchodilator. It's good for inflammation/mucus in the lungs. There have even been medical tests which have shown it's effect on COPD and asthma.

For more info, Google 'Magnesium Sulfate Lungs'.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23794435

And if you take enough it is good for occasional constipation. Soaking in it is good for the nerves.

What about tap water containing fluoride/chlorine.
It's safe to soak in those with epsom?
Ad Lib

User ID: 24338672
United States
01/13/2013 12:39 AM
Report Abusive Post

Here's what too much coffee does to the heart.
[link to maxshouse.com]
As the muscle is stimulated to contract and races, it makes the heart muscle get bulky like a guy lifting a lot of weights. That unfortunantly makes the ventricles, the big chamber of blood that squishes, it get narrower but bigger.
Each time it reduces how much blood can squirt but snaps the contractions HARD and then you get very high blood pressure but insufficient blood. The body say, "Heck, pump HARDER! I'm dying for blood. I'm not getting enough!" It runs away from itself.

Don't drink tons of coffee.

Yep, that's what happened to me.. dangerously high blood pressure from way too much coffee. Down to now 1-2 cups a day, or none. BP has gone way down.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid,
it is true that most stupid people are conservative.

John Stuart Mill
It's much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than a helping hand.
Mike Royko
Sol Neman

United States
01/13/2013 12:49 AM
Report Abusive Post

[link to archive.org]

Interesting I'll have to read some more. You may want to take a look at milpa style agriculture. This method has been used for millenia in Central and South America. The plants compliment each other and provide a complete nutritional diet if set up correctly. I believe going back to the diet of the early inhabitants of the Americas and using similar methods of farming could help humanity in a big way. For additional reading refer to a book titled 1491 by Charles C. Mann. [link to www.amazon.com]

Last Edited by Sol Neman on 01/13/2013 12:49 AM
Don'tBeAfraid

User ID: 32113282
United States
01/14/2013 04:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
Pneumonia
[link to www.webmd.com]

In 1918, a lot of people didn't actually die from the flu. The flu progressed because it hit them so hard, and if young, we think a lot these people had a cytokine storm, a condition where their younger stronger immune system acted powerfully and ended up shutting down their bodies.

Ordinarily very young children, say 3-5 years old or elderly folks post 65+ get the worst of the flu case-fatalities. Not so with that flu. Not so with the 2009 H1N1 pandemic either. It affected those aged 15-35 years old the most. That's not normal. It shocks the young people and they're the most cavalier about being sick. Sometimes they'd get sick in one day, and the next morning someone would find them dead or deathly ill.

In addition pregnant women are always going to have issues. The strain of carrying a child, caring for both patients, getting the mother to eat enough under these circumstances, it quite difficult. If she's a single mom by herself, and or caring for another child, you're going to have to be very proactive because the death rate is high.

In 1918, those of Mexican and Native American ancestry saw very high death clusters in families, sometimes wiping them out entirely.

In many cases a secondary infection attacked their lung alveoli itself, and forming pus and coating it so not enough gas flow (oxygen or carbon dioxide) across it to and from the red blood cells. Sometimes that was influenza which has been largely choking them with mucus, but then the alveoli, but also other pathogens too. The patients end up cyanotic and drowning in a blend of their mucus/pus. The pleural, the membranes protecting the lungs rub and are painful.

You're screwed in a pandemic if it's bacterial, because you don't have the antibiotics to treat the pus forming.

You've got to nip it in the bud early in the 2nd week, otherwise the patient is under poor nutrition, dirty laundry since probably there's no way to keep up on laundry...so terrible sanitary conditions, too weak to bathe, too sick to cook, sweaty, clammy, dehydrated, and worsening.

Since antivirals only lessen symptoms, and probably you won't be able to source them, then you're going to have to focus and do every trick in the book to even the odds for your loved one.

Don't let it get that far. Some of you might have had brochitus from the sound of it based upon your length of illness. Others might have been borderline pneumonia. When a flu lasts more than 14 days something is very wrong and you should be getting medical attention and not fooling around.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/14/2013 05:01 AM
Cassie :-)

User ID: 10262276
United States
01/14/2013 06:53 AM

Report Abusive Post
bump
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

"...the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." I John 1:7

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

And this is the record, that God hath given
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1510604
United States
01/14/2013 07:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
All set fer the treadmill again. thumbs

tredmil

------

GLP