Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,030 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 462,751
Pageviews Today: 782,002Threads Today: 334Posts Today: 5,085
10:11 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

GLP How many of us are sick today ?????unidentified respiratory illness?????Post if you cant stop coughing!!!!

CrazyMama73

User ID: 32027874
Canada
01/14/2013 09:20 AM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: GLP How many of us are sick today ?????unidentified respiratory illness?????Post if you cant stop coughing!!!!
All set fer the treadmill again. thumbs

tredmil

------
 Quoting: BOWMAN

I see that "V" in formation! Keep up the good work hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2037747
United States
01/14/2013 09:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: GLP How many of us are sick today ?????unidentified respiratory illness?????Post if you cant stop coughing!!!!
All set fer the treadmill again. thumbs

tredmil

------
 Quoting: BOWMAN

I see that "V" in formation! Keep up the good work hf
 Quoting: CrazyMama73

lol chuckle

I haz my V back! ohyeah

hf

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32181646
United States
01/14/2013 12:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good recipe.

Whenever I feel like I am coming down with something I take garlic. I get the garlic that is already chopped up at the supermarket usually near the fresh produce section. It comes in a big clear container. I know it is not as strong as fresh garlic but the stuff works. I take it and my throat stops hurting and I start feeling better almost immediately. I take about a tablespoon of it. If I did this with fresh garlic it would be too strong and I would stink.LOL

But I had this on hand and just tried it and it worked. Didn't burn my mouth or stomach and didn't give me really bad garlic breath because it is a little weaker than fresh but damn that stuff does work and doesn't taste that bad. Probably because I have been craving it. I had a salad tonight and put a couple teaspoons on it along with dressing. So that is a way it can be taken rather than just slurping it off a spoon.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1550123

For those of you who just cannot abide eating garlic, you can also apply it externally to feet, throat, any part of the body. Try to get garlic that has not been irradiated, as that lowers garlic's effectiveness. The body will absorb it, but yeah, you will smell like garlic. A couple recipes:

GOOT is a great way to apply the power of garlic externally.
You can apply this treatment on the chest or feet.
Ingredients:
3 T. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
3 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 T. Chopped Garlic (chop by hand, not with a garlic press)
Directions:
1. If your coconut oil is solid, warm it on the stove at a very low heat just until melted. Remove it from the heat.
2. Add the olive oil and the freshly chopped garlic.
3. Put the mixture into your blender and blend until smooth.
4. Optional Step: Pour the mixture through cheesecloth to remove garlic fibers. You can skip this step, just know that leaving the garlic in will cause the GOOT to get stronger as it ages.
5. Pour into a wide mouth jar or container. This should be stored in the refrigerator but can be left on the counter for a little while so that it becomes a soft paste instead of a hard block.

Garlic Honey from HomeGrownMommy.com
This is a throat-coating syrup that is wonderful for coughs and sore throats.
Ingredients:
10 Cloves of Garlic, sliced into large chunks
Raw honey
Directions:
1. Put the garlic into a container – choose the size depending on how much syrup you
want to make.
2. On Day 1, pour about 1/3 of the total amount of honey over the garlic and store in the refrigerator. The total amount, again, depends on how much you want to make.
3. Repeat #2 until you’ve poured all the honey over the garlic, which should bring you to Day 3.
4. Let the honey sit in the refrigerator for another day or so, then try to spoon out much of the garlic.
5. To administer, take at least a teaspoon every two hours. You can use more and take it more often as you see fit.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32182696
United States
01/14/2013 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don'tBeAfraid, I don't know about Tea Tree Oil in the ears, but when we were kids, my mom always put warmed Sweet Oil in our ears when we had earaches. I don't know if it actually healed anything, but it DID make the pain ease quite a bit.
 Quoting: Texan Buckeye

I put a drop of colloidal silver in each ear and follow up with heat. REALLY helps. I use warm rice socks for the heat, easier to get over the ears than a heating pad.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32181646
United States
01/14/2013 01:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is a bronchodilator. It's good for inflammation/mucus in the lungs. There have even been medical tests which have shown it's effect on COPD and asthma.

For more info, Google 'Magnesium Sulfate Lungs'.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23794435

And if you take enough it is good for occasional constipation. Soaking in it is good for the nerves.

What about tap water containing fluoride/chlorine.
It's safe to soak in those with epsom?
 Quoting: ~Spaze*Man~

I really don't know if it helps, but to combat that, I also add baking soda and borax into the water. Borax is supposed to combine with flouride when taken internally, so that it is excreted in the urine. Since I figure both flouride and borax are being absorbed through the skin, I add the borax to the bath water.

Not only do I add epsom salts, borax and baking soda, but I also use an ozonator in the water to add extra oxygen. Probably overkill, but makes me feel good :)

Anyone else use borax in the bath water, or have comments on whether they think it is or is not helpful?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1550123
United States
01/14/2013 02:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
It really cannot be stressed enough the importance of maintaining adequate indoor humidity in the wintertime. Overly dry air causes the mucousal lining to crack, and it's much easier for pathogens to enter the lining through the small fissures in the respiratory tract and sinuses.

If you're not doing this.. you really need to start.. just boil water on the stovetop every day until it starts to condense on the windows. It makes an amazing difference!
 Quoting: Ad Lib

Now this should be number one for people to do. This poster is soooo right. And keep it cool at night when you are sleeping. Keep the heat on as minimally as possible at night.

Just dress warmly and wear socks, put layers on the bed or even use an electric blanket. I have one and get the bed warm and then turn it off when I get into bed. I stay warm throughout the night then. If you don't have or want an electric blanket take a hot water bottle to bed. You can even make one with a liter pop bottle and just wrap that bottle with a pillow case. I even have a small heating pad I have used to keep warm when I don't want to use too much heat.

The next thing to do is keep your immune system strong. Vitamin d and c is important but I have found garlic really keep the immune system strong.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1550123
United States
01/14/2013 02:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is a bronchodilator. It's good for inflammation/mucus in the lungs. There have even been medical tests which have shown it's effect on COPD and asthma.

And if you take enough it is good for occasional constipation. Soaking in it is good for the nerves.

Yes. The magnesium's benefits outweighs the stuff in our water.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25254305
United States
01/14/2013 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

Agree. I've never felt more healthy since soaking in epsom salts regularly.

I also love my humidifier in the winter, so maybe between the two I'm inadvertently keeping the flu at bay (for now)
Don'tBeAfraid

User ID: 32113282
United States
01/14/2013 03:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don'tBeAfraid, I don't know about Tea Tree Oil in the ears, but when we were kids, my mom always put warmed Sweet Oil in our ears when we had earaches. I don't know if it actually healed anything, but it DID make the pain ease quite a bit.
 Quoting: Texan Buckeye

I put a drop of colloidal silver in each ear and follow up with heat. REALLY helps. I use warm rice socks for the heat, easier to get over the ears than a heating pad.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32182696

As long as the electricity works, for in a pandemic there's a potential for loss of power due to illness of utility workers, a special sock of clean kitty litter i.e. clay or rice when heated in the microwave will produce soothing warm moist heat to an affected area and is a great way to spot treat pain or aching.

They sell them, but you can easily take a tube sock, tie it off or stitch it closed, and make it for a dollar. You only heat it for brief amounts of time, then place it on the skin but doing it prudently so you don't burn yourself.

Note: this is a very good treatment for migraines. They are hurting, and crunch up their shoulders and induce lots of tension and then worsen their overall condition. A migraine sufferer needs to relax as much as possible, and warm moist heat around the shoulders is very helpful.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/14/2013 03:46 PM
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 03:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

I really don't know if it helps, but to combat that, I also add baking soda and borax into the water. Borax is supposed to combine with flouride when taken internally, so that it is excreted in the urine. Since I figure both flouride and borax are being absorbed through the skin, I add the borax to the bath water.

Not only do I add epsom salts, borax and baking soda, but I also use an ozonator in the water to add extra oxygen. Probably overkill, but makes me feel good :)

Anyone else use borax in the bath water, or have comments on whether they think it is or is not helpful?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32181646

I can't attest to the safety of ingesting borax and it seems like it could harm a lot of people. Sodium is a component of borax and since a lot of people have issues with blood pressure, borax has a high potential to exacerbate blood pressure. Not recommended internally.

Borax can definitely reduce fluoride in water for EXTERNAL use. As a matter of fact, probably most of the fluroride which is absorbed by your body comes in through the skin when you shower or bathe. This is why people who are concerned purchase filters for their showerhead, or ultimately try to filter all their water, or better stop using fluoride.

There is scant scientic evidence of the efficacy of fluoride use as a beneficial means of purifying water. It makes no sense. It should stop.

It's possible it could help, but we have a miniscule amount of evidence it does. We have lots of evidence that it is in fact a HARMFUL practice to bones, the endocrine and immune systems.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/14/2013 03:20 PM
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 03:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
It really cannot be stressed enough the importance of maintaining adequate indoor humidity in the wintertime. Overly dry air causes the mucousal lining to crack, and it's much easier for pathogens to enter the lining through the small fissures in the respiratory tract and sinuses.

If you're not doing this.. you really need to start.. just boil water on the stovetop every day until it starts to condense on the windows. It makes an amazing difference!
 Quoting: Ad Lib

Now this should be number one for people to do. This poster is soooo right. And keep it cool at night when you are sleeping. Keep the heat on as minimally as possible at night.

Just dress warmly and wear socks, put layers on the bed or even use an electric blanket. I have one and get the bed warm and then turn it off when I get into bed. I stay warm throughout the night then. If you don't have or want an electric blanket take a hot water bottle to bed. You can even make one with a liter pop bottle and just wrap that bottle with a pillow case. I even have a small heating pad I have used to keep warm when I don't want to use too much heat.

The next thing to do is keep your immune system strong. Vitamin d and c is important but I have found garlic really keep the immune system strong.

The simplest way to stay warm at night while sleeping is to use a reflective space blanket under your bed linens. It's a material that was invented during the Space Missions to keep the astronauts warm.

They are inexpensive, and could be a very cheap way to stay warm in the absence of electric power.
[link to thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlongla​st.com]
[link to adventure.howstuffworks.com]

It's safer than leaving something on the stove, even on low heat, which frankly would make me nervous to do all night long. That has a potential for drying out and causing a fire.
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 03:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

Agree. I've never felt more healthy since soaking in epsom salts regularly.

I also love my humidifier in the winter, so maybe between the two I'm inadvertently keeping the flu at bay (for now)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25254305

Because a respiratory flu often causes body aches, and because epsom salts reduce body aches, it absolutely should be a part of self-care to soak briefly in epsom salts when having that issue. Note: be careful of soaking when feverish. Keep the bath less hot than normal and monitor the patient's internal temp because you could worsen the patient's fever. The goal is to improve their condition by removing the ache. It also can reduce the chill. Don't screw up and make their fever worse.

Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 03:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
In the old days, they didn't have vaporizers. They directly placed their faces over a steam producing bowl with herbs and using a towel they isolated and directed the steam into their lungs. This is a wise way to cheaply moisten the respiratory tract DIRECTLY.

Note: you could lose power, and still moisten their lungs this way. It may be difficult to heat up outside on the grill, but still you could MacGuyver it. Learn to think outside the box.

When you place a vaporizer, it difuses in the air and some gets to the patient, but most is sucked up into the dry air of the room.

Eventually it disperses enough to raise the room humidity that the patient is breathing.

It is far smarter to do a breathing treatment to DIRECTLY get moist air to their lungs. Yes?

One cannot hover over a bowl, for the patient may be very tired. One can do this several times a day, so they actually get up out of bed briefly (which has it's own benefits).

Don't let patients stay in bed all the time. They need to shower. You need to change their linens so they have a cleaner environment and you can reduce and control flu shedding in your home. While that's going on, change their linens, get the bowl ready, and then when they return from showering or a very abbreviated soak in Epsom salts in tempid water, then do a breathing treatment.

This is a good self-care strategy.

The majority of people don't change the linens because they get lazy. In a hospital they're changing linens for this purpose. It's very important. Patients who are sick get dirty, and people at home taking care of themselves get very dirty, sometimes not showering for a WEEK, then they wonder, "Why am I still sick?"

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/14/2013 03:40 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18381151
United States
01/14/2013 10:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for helping us on this thread, Don'tBeAfraid!!

I agree, I changed my sheets 3 times in a 7 day period and it felt great to smell and touch clean linens.

Update: this morning I coughed a little blood...that was freaky! But all in all doing better, though breathing is an exercise.
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 11:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

I agree, I changed my sheets 3 times in a 7 day period and it felt great to smell and touch clean linens.

Update: this morning I coughed a little blood...that was freaky! But all in all doing better, though breathing is an exercise.
 Quoting: pool

When you cough a lot, you can create tiny microlacerations in your throat. If it keeps up, go see a doctor.

Some bacteria like Legionella can cause bloody sputum but usually that's in old people. Bronchitis can routinely cause bloody sputum. So can pneumonia. It depends up the pathogen. Obviously it's abnormal. Exactly how many days have you felt "bad"? Not infected, but bad or rough.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/14/2013 11:11 PM
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 11:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Bronchitis

Bronchitis is inflammation of the tubes going to the lungs and alveoli. Pneumonia is an inflammation directly at the alveoli with pus. With bronchitis, the tubes or bronchi are infected and irritated and mucus is clogging them.

The cough is hearty and loud. It sound more animal-like. It can sound like bark or growly because of the mucus. It's sometimes called a rheumy cough (cough that's sound is altered by fluid).

The normal sweeping action of the cilia that move like the waves upon the sea are inhibited so the mucus can't move, and coughing up mucus is very difficult. You definitely need percussive therapy with this.

A link with causes:
[link to www.webmd.com]

If you have asthma, then when you get influenza, you often get bronchitis. Any pre-existing respiratory illness will most likely present as bronchitis if those patients in paticular are not AGGRESSIVELY protecting themselves. Then it might end up with pneumonia. Make sense?It should. The infection is going further down the lung to the end.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/15/2013 04:52 AM
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 11:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

Smells are an important function of health care. Some smells are "clean", Smells like citrus, because it cuts through other scents, and imparts a freshness to the room of the patient. It also promotes calm when using citrus. Soap naturally has a clean smell.

The patient has lost their sense of smell sometimes as the nasal passage is impacted (exceeding stuffed full) with congested dried out infected mucus and blood. They can't smell that they're clean a lot of the time, so they neglect to clean themselves.

The ones who can smell, are refeshed by clean smells, and sometimes it makes them realize, "Oh heck, I need to shower, so I get better..." It's important for this reason as then you're not getting on their ass about cleaning up, and so creating resistance to cleaning.

Asthma patients are very allergic, and using perfume when helping a sick asthma patient, or visiting them, will irritate their already irritated lungs. Don't wear perfume or heavily scented lotion when around them. It can trigger a coughing spell.

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/14/2013 11:48 PM
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/14/2013 11:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Obviously it's abnormal. Exactly how many days have you felt "bad"? Not infected, but bad or rough.
 Quoting: Don'tBeAfraid

Bad feelings, exactly 7 days.

There were two previous times I fought the virus and won, time between the viral attacks was about 2 weeks. In the end with exhastion and unable to take time off to rest, the third time hammered me.
Don'tBeAfraid

United States
01/14/2013 11:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Obviously it's abnormal. Exactly how many days have you felt "bad"? Not infected, but bad or rough.

Bad feelings, exactly 7 days.

There were two previous times I fought the virus and won, time between the viral attacks was about 2 weeks. In the end with exhastion and unable to take time off to rest, the third time hammered me.

Wait...you had this, got a little better, then you had it flare up, got better, and now sick again? Pool! Please tell me you've been to the doc if that's so?
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/14/2013 11:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wait...you had this, got a little better, then you had it flare up, got better, and now sick again? Pool! Please tell me you've been to the doc if that's so?

Yes, I finally went to a dr and took tamiflu to reduce the effects.

Cynical laughter was really my best medicine. The 'oh my gawd I'm going to die coughing' jokes, the thoughts of walking and sneezing [sneezing was propulsion] at the same time moments...all of it was worth the experience.

I sure hope you don't get this, it's awfully testing to say the least.

This thread was hugs comforting, nonetheless.
Cassie :-)

User ID: 10262276
United States
01/16/2013 12:41 AM

Report Abusive Post
Sick for 9 days now and the worst cough I've ever had in my life! I had a fever for the first 5 days. This is awful!
 Quoting: Southern Lighthouse

Hope you've rounded the bend and are feeling better.

hf
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

"...the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." I John 1:7

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

And this is the record, that God hath given

GLP