Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

The North Dakota Town Where A One-Bedroom Apartment Rents For $2,100 A Month

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1550123
United States
01/12/2013 12:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: The North Dakota Town Where A One-Bedroom Apartment Rents For $2,100 A Month
I'm from there. Moved away in 06 before the boom hit., Went back for the first time this spring. Got family there still, and many many friends. The boom fucked up that town. This is not a good thing. Williston wasn't very good to begin with, but this boom fucked everything up. Locals are being forced into homelessness by greedy real estate owners who want a piece of the pie. It's sick what has happened there. There has been more murders in Williston since I left, than there was the entire 17 years I called that shit hole my home. And the local law enforcement is so corrupt, inept, and backward, I'd be surprised if they could figure out how to conduct a proper murder investigation.

Think about what that NPR piece is telling you. It's a living horror. Put yourselves in the shoes of the people who call that place home. Hookers make more money in Williston than they do in Vegas?! These people who call Williston home, they don't recognize such as daily life where they grew up. That came with the boom, and is new. All the violence, the influx of drugs and the increase in rapes, the town was a bit rowdy when I grew up there, yeah, but this is ludicrous. And those people that chased after the boom, even NPR tells you they won't bring family there, won't call Williston home. They don't care enough to give that place due respect, treat it's people right, and contribute to society. That boom attracted the parasites, those who's only purpose there is to get as much as they can and leave.

It's all about the Benjamen's
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31928073

Yup. They are only there for the money and will move out quick when it is not there anymore leaving that place a skeleton of what it once was. With all that money it will attract hookers, drug dealers and all the low lifes. Not a good place to be at all.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31778716
United States
01/12/2013 12:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: The North Dakota Town Where A One-Bedroom Apartment Rents For $2,100 A Month
It's a shit hole. I've been there. Rough necks looking for a fight everywhere you go.
 Quoting: AdamCanFly

I expect that kind of behaviour from people of the lower class. They become especially odious when they have a decent income. It's like money multiplies their vulgarity.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25427338
United States
01/12/2013 12:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Troll.
It's a shit hole. I've been there. Rough necks looking for a fight everywhere you go.
 Quoting: AdamCanFly

I expect that kind of behaviour from people of the lower class. They become especially odious when they have a decent income. It's like money multiplies their vulgarity.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31778716

Nice
KateSask

User ID: 15170057
Canada
01/12/2013 12:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
I would move there right away if I didn't know that it would be like moving to hell. Terrible weather, low culture, and being surrounded by the type of people I hate doesn't sound like a good life no matter what I get paid.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31778716

It's best to get a job with one of the companies that have accommodations on site for their employees and commute (fly) to your home on days off. That's what I hear anyways.

Candle Lake, CANADA in Pictures ~ [link to www.dennischamberlain.com]
Watdhel

User ID: 6608662
United States
01/12/2013 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
It's my understanding that they have dorms up there for guys to sleep in- so think about, bunch of young guys with plenty of money & nothing to do on their time off. Sounds like a recipe for trouble to me!

The guys from my parish/county that are up there took travel trailers with them. I truly didn't think they would make it thru last winter but they are still there, raking in the cash while they can.

Go to google maps and just look at all the wells!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31928073
United States
01/12/2013 12:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm from there. Moved away in 06 before the boom hit., Went back for the first time this spring. Got family there still, and many many friends. The boom fucked up that town. This is not a good thing. Williston wasn't very good to begin with, but this boom fucked everything up. Locals are being forced into homelessness by greedy real estate owners who want a piece of the pie. It's sick what has happened there. There has been more murders in Williston since I left, than there was the entire 17 years I called that shit hole my home. And the local law enforcement is so corrupt, inept, and backward, I'd be surprised if they could figure out how to conduct a proper murder investigation.

Think about what that NPR piece is telling you. It's a living horror. Put yourselves in the shoes of the people who call that place home. Hookers make more money in Williston than they do in Vegas?! These people who call Williston home, they don't recognize such as daily life where they grew up. That came with the boom, and is new. All the violence, the influx of drugs and the increase in rapes, the town was a bit rowdy when I grew up there, yeah, but this is ludicrous. And those people that chased after the boom, even NPR tells you they won't bring family there, won't call Williston home. They don't care enough to give that place due respect, treat it's people right, and contribute to society. That boom attracted the parasites, those who's only purpose there is to get as much as they can and leave.

It's all about the Benjamen's
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31928073

This is silly. Most workers on the rigs are people who know how to keep a job. Including axcillary employments. If they werent they wouldnt keep the job. Hard working southerns for the most part. Texas, lousiana, oklahoma. Family orientated, christian, hard working. They're alittle diff but not that diff. .

This is coming from someone born in ND and working in the bakken over a year.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25427338

Silly, is it? tell that to the Spanish teacher who just happened to be followed to her home one night by two Mexicans, lured there by a promise of a good job, and unlucky enough to choose a white woman who speaks fluent Spanish.

Never heard the story? Then you aren't from there. And if you HAVE heard the story, then you are willingly obstructing the truth from getting out.

You see, that teacher was followed by these Mexicans in Wal-Mart, who thought their victim couldn't understand her. they discussed their plans to follow her to her home and rape her, then when she noticed them actually FOLLOWING her in their vehicle, she called the police.

Lucky for her, and this will show I was a bit harsh in my last assessment of the local law enforcement, but the police DID dispatch a patrol to her house, and was waiting for the two perps when they arrived at her house.

If you are from North Dakota and have any familiarity with the Williston Basin whatsoever, then you will KNOW I speak truth when I say this boom has attracted parasites, and that Williston is now a living hell for the locals.

Otherwise you're just a troll.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25427338
United States
01/12/2013 12:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
How often can that story be repeated anywhere usa. I suggest she gets a firearm and a permit to carry. Pretty simple in nd. The bottom line is that the infastructure hasnt kept up to the influx. It will. In the mean time the area has kept alot of families fed not to mention turning alot of north dakota families into millionares overnight. Those smart enough to have kept their mineral rights anyway.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31194169
Canada
01/12/2013 01:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Similar costs for a 1 bedroom at Fort Mac, Alberta, between 1700-1800 and look how far out that is! Oil communities, so it's expected I guess.

[link to www.rentboard.ca]
 Quoting: KateSask

I live in a small town in Northern Ont. and our large, 3 bedroom is $560 a month and the hydro is included. The building is well maintained year round, the balcony is huge and the living is easy.

There's a lot of ways to live well but you may not be able to do it where you live so you move somewhere else where you can. Yes, you might have to leave friends and some family behind but you do what you have to do and you try to make the best of it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1885697
United States
01/12/2013 01:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow! I think what's scary for me is that this doesn't sound insane. Living in New York (long island) I guess I'm jaded. And no I don't make a ton of money but I'm over $50,000 a year and so is my bf. we don't even pay a mortgage on the house. Just bills and taxes we don't have any debt and trust me w over $100,000 combined we don't nor can't live lavishly here.
KateSask

User ID: 15170057
Canada
01/12/2013 01:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Similar costs for a 1 bedroom at Fort Mac, Alberta, between 1700-1800 and look how far out that is! Oil communities, so it's expected I guess.

[link to www.rentboard.ca]
 Quoting: KateSask

I live in a small town in Northern Ont. and our large, 3 bedroom is $560 a month and the hydro is included. The building is well maintained year round, the balcony is huge and the living is easy.

There's a lot of ways to live well but you may not be able to do it where you live so you move somewhere else where you can. Yes, you might have to leave friends and some family behind but you do what you have to do and you try to make the best of it.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31194169

I don't live there, I just looked that up. It's reasonable where I live too. LOL

Candle Lake, CANADA in Pictures ~ [link to www.dennischamberlain.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1539721
United States
01/12/2013 01:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
I live in Midland/Odessa, Texas. Same thing. We are having a giant boom, there is about 300k people here right now, locals and influx, it sucks. Everyone has to live in rv parks or in the yards of these oilfield company's. It has always been an oil town here tho. They just announced the "cline shale formation" here that they've known about for years, they're gonna frac everything under this shithole and get what they can. The fast food places pay up to 14 to 18 an hour here because the oilfield pays so much. Convenience stores put like 2k dollar sign on bonuses. It's insane.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31928073
United States
01/12/2013 01:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
How often can that story be repeated anywhere usa. I suggest she gets a firearm and a permit to carry. Pretty simple in nd. The bottom line is that the infastructure hasnt kept up to the influx. It will. In the mean time the area has kept alot of families fed not to mention turning alot of north dakota families into millionares overnight. Those smart enough to have kept their mineral rights anyway.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25427338

I don't think you get the point. the thing is, this WASN'T the story of Williston UNTIL THE BOOM.

It did not happen in Williston. Williston was a "nice" town. I did not like it, I thought it was a shit hole. It wasn't for me. But fact is, it WAS a nice town before the boom, now it's a hell hole.
hatch battener
User ID: 32015039
United States
01/12/2013 02:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Where I live in Minnesota, part of the economic bleed off effect from the North Dakota oil boom is in the business of sand. The sand is used for fracking and for making roads in the construction boom up there. The Minneapolis StarTribune has had on ongoing series of articles about it.

Hundreds of miles away from the oil fields, an 8 hour drive, the sand boom is so big that much of Southeastern Minnesota has put a moratorium on new sand mines because they was tearing up the environment. Even further away in Wisconsin, the Startribune reported cases of political corruption surrounding the demand for sand, local politicians cashing in on insider deals on the location of sand mines.

It's estimated the amount of oil in the Bakken is greater than in Saudi Arabia. Part of the reason that in a little over 10 years, the US is expected to become the largest producer of oil in the world.

You know those people in Saudi Arabia and their fabulous riches? Before to long, it's not gonna be them anymore, it's gonna be people in North Dakota.

Alot of economic analysts are saying that America's oil resurgence is going to play is big part in our nations recovery.

Good for North Dakota, good for surrounding states, good for the nation as a whole.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31973198
United States
01/12/2013 02:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Theyll suck it dry and itll be an abandoned shithole in less than ten years
BULLDOZER

User ID: 27878774
United States
01/12/2013 02:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
I work up there and I never noticed people were assholes, and that could be because I'm busting my ass too much to notice anyone else or because I'm a big intimidating person ( actually I'm real nice ). I love the oil industry and I make a shitload of money, on my 21 days off from North Dakota I'm working a side business of my own dealing with the oil industry where I make most of my money. As far as housing it is limited, but I live in a house the company provides, but I'm rarely there, I'm more likely to be sleeping in a truck...waiting to work. And fuck anyone who says they can't find a job, they just don't want to get off their lazy asses and work, yes it's hard work, yes it's cold, but damn if there isn't a lot of money in it, I'd rather bust my ass and be cold ( I actually most of the time wear a few shirts because I get too hot) than stress about if I am going to get by until my next check. Also, McDonald's in Williston starts at 18 hr.
NON SERVIAM
Ap0c@Lyp5e

User ID: 21022376
United States
01/12/2013 03:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
I am thinking about heading up there. I have deployed to iraq for 2 years so I think I could handle being there and away from my family.. I am not worried about hard work, just boring work..

I dont have any certifications for that type of work. I can drive big trucks but need to get a CDL.

The living situation makes me hesitant as well..

Anyone have any encouraging words?

Last Edited by DREDD on 01/12/2013 03:48 AM
Judgement is coming..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30821361
Australia
01/12/2013 03:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fuck paying that buy a motor home or a small truck and just live in that lol
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1377353
Canada
01/12/2013 04:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
hiding
Ap0c@Lyp5e

United States
01/12/2013 04:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fuck paying that buy a motor home or a small truck and just live in that lol
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 30821361

I guess thats what most do, but the spot to park the motor home is like 1500 a month lol!
Judgement is coming..
BULLDOZER

United States
01/12/2013 04:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
I am thinking about heading up there. I have deployed to iraq for 2 years so I think I could handle being there and away from my family.. I am not worried about hard work, just boring work..

I dont have any certifications for that type of work. I can drive big trucks but need to get a CDL.

Quoting: Ap0c@Lyp5e

I have a cdl, and I would have no problem getting a job anytime I want up there, there are so many driving jobs, I bet I get 10 to 15 job offers a week, but i have already done my time driving trucks so I'm not too interested. As far as the housing, idk, my company provides a real nice house for us, but I'm too busy to hang out there. I have never been to a man camp, but from what I have heard from some of the people I have worked with, they really liked them. As far as what company to work for, I don't know, baker Hughes seem to take care of their people from what I have seen, but I may be wrong. I honestly don't know who all these people living in the rv's work for. Only thing I don't like about my job is getting to it, I drive about 2400 miles there and back and that sort of sucks, but I won't fly so it's my own fault.
NON SERVIAM
geminilion

User ID: 12895036
United States
01/12/2013 04:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
I live in the NYC suburbs and it costs at least that much...it's ridiculous.
..."The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way."
Heraclitus
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32020271
Australia
01/12/2013 04:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
that's one reason why the greedy landlords and moneyleanders want to ban guns.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32017726
Malaysia
01/12/2013 04:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thats awfully steep. You can rent for 5 years err nope atleast 10 yrs in cambodia with that same amount.
Ap0c@Lyp5e

United States
01/12/2013 05:05 AM
Report Abusive Post

I have a cdl, and I would have no problem getting a job anytime I want up there, there are so many driving jobs, I bet I get 10 to 15 job offers a week, but i have already done my time driving trucks so I'm not too interested. As far as the housing, idk, my company provides a real nice house for us, but I'm too busy to hang out there. I have never been to a man camp, but from what I have heard from some of the people I have worked with, they really liked them. As far as what company to work for, I don't know, baker Hughes seem to take care of their people from what I have seen, but I may be wrong. I honestly don't know who all these people living in the rv's work for. Only thing I don't like about my job is getting to it, I drive about 2400 miles there and back and that sort of sucks, but I won't fly so it's my own fault.
 Quoting: BULLDOZER

Thanks much for the info I will take it into consideration
Judgement is coming..
Éireann

User ID: 32005888
United States
01/12/2013 05:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
Williston North Dakota is in the Heart of the Bakken oil boom for the U.S. There is another boom across the border in South East Saskatchewan & South Western Manitoba.

Hookers earn more money in Williston North Dakota than they do in Las Vegas.

A very young man fresh out of high school asked the bank for a loan to build a hotel. The bank said no! So he went to Weatherford (a oil & gas service company) and asked them if they needed rooms for their employees. They said yes and promissed to rent every room for 5 years and signed a legal agreement. He went back to the bank and now owns a brand new hotel.

Williston North Dakota is projected to have a population of 400 000 in another 4 years.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10246824

What a shame. It liked it small and cozy :(
Eireann~

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1535343
United States
01/12/2013 05:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thats awfully steep. You can rent for 5 years err nope atleast 10 yrs in cambodia with that same amount.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32017726

Yeah but we dont have to eat steamed monkey brains and rice either
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24068631
United States
01/12/2013 05:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
If I were a young man, I would head up there or to Midland Odesssa. Much better to work your ass off then lay around on the govt. tit.
BULLDOZER

United States
01/12/2013 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Williston North Dakota is in the Heart of the Bakken oil boom for the U.S. There is another boom across the border in South East Saskatchewan & South Western Manitoba.

Hookers earn more money in Williston North Dakota than they do in Las Vegas.

A very young man fresh out of high school asked the bank for a loan to build a hotel. The bank said no! So he went to Weatherford (a oil & gas service company) and asked them if they needed rooms for their employees. They said yes and promissed to rent every room for 5 years and signed a legal agreement. He went back to the bank and now owns a brand new hotel.

Williston North Dakota is projected to have a population of 400 000 in another 4 years.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10246824

What a shame. It liked it small and cozy :(
 Quoting: Éireann

400,000? No way, that area will never support that, they can't support what they have there now.
NON SERVIAM
Fake Nate
User ID: 29860095
United States
01/23/2013 03:49 AM
Report Abusive Post

That had to be a typo, I think he means 40,000, 400,000 would be 2/3rds increase in the population and would never happen.

Couple of things here. I live in the Bakken, I own investment properties in the Bakken. For the most part the people who are coming up are hard working good people. You would not believe the amount of families that come up.

Second crime rates are pretty much flat per capita. The one exception was aggravated assaults and DUI's. Which comes from the much over hyped Bakken bar scene.

There are lots of fear mongers out there. Most of these people were bitching ten years ago, cuz my generation couldn't stay and make a living here. Now they got what they wanted, and need something new to bitch about.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32296881
United States
01/23/2013 04:23 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: BULLDOZER

What kind of work do you do and how much are you making a year?

Do you have to have any experience or special skills to get a good job up there?

GLP