Ladydoom
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 32032967
United Kingdom
01/14/2013 08:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Euthanasia, is it wrong?
Ok so personally I think it could far to easily be used for other peoples gain, not to mention feeling a burden and deciding to save other people the hassle. Whats everyone's opinions? This article got me thinking, seems an odd reason and I am surprised they were allowed tbh.

Identical twin brothers euthanised by doctors in unique Belgium case
Twins, who were born deaf, made decision after learning they would go blind
The brothers, who spent their lives together, were unable to bear the thought of never seeing each other again

Read more: [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]
We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31647010
United Kingdom
01/14/2013 08:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Euthanasia, is it wrong?
in a case like that, yes. Being blind is not something I'd like to happen to me, but i'd adapt, and find a way to live my life.

if you are racked with pain, with only weeks to live with a terminal disease, no, that should be your choice.

if we were to keep a dog alive like that, we'd be called cruel, and probably fined, but for some strange reason it's OK to do it to humans.
far&away

User ID: 1444889
Malta
01/14/2013 09:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ok so personally I think it could far to easily be used for other peoples gain, not to mention feeling a burden and deciding to save other people the hassle. Whats everyone's opinions? This article got me thinking, seems an odd reason and I am surprised they were allowed tbh.

Identical twin brothers euthanised by doctors in unique Belgium case
Twins, who were born deaf, made decision after learning they would go blind
The brothers, who spent their lives together, were unable to bear the thought of never seeing each other again

Read more: [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]
 Quoting: Ladydoom

It's been so painfull to watch friends and relatives in agonies suffering from illnesses, somehow it feels in me that euthanasia is wrong.

What's the real definition of Euthanasia? ... and what's different from suicide?
“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future...”
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11214802
Canada
01/14/2013 09:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
What I wonder is if that fucking doctor ever bothered to bring in an actual blind person to talk to the two guys about what it's like to be blind. Did he make any attempt to give them the facts they needed to make an informed decision?

No matter how you feel about the subject in general I don't think there is anybody who could say there was anything good about what happened in that particular case. Except of course for Dr. Kevorkian or some other comparable sick fuck like him.
Ladydoom  (OP)

United Kingdom
01/14/2013 09:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Surely they could have been supported and had counselling etc. Seems so extreme in this case.
Octavium
User ID: 1578316
Netherlands
01/14/2013 09:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you are blind... That alone is not a reason to call for Euthanasia. And shouldn't be allowed
If you are Deaf... that alone is not a reason to call for
Euthanasia. And shouldn't be allowed

If you are Deaf AND Blind... well... Life starts to get pretty pointless. Imagine... you can't see anything, you can't hear anything... day in, day out. that is like being locked up solitary.

If you say that somebody is not allowed to make the choice for himself, I say Try to live like that for a month...
No sound no sight, basically no way of communicating with the rest of the world. And than imagine to live like that for the rest of you life.

Then you should be allowed to step out this of this life and face the next, if decide it yourself.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
01/14/2013 09:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Surely they could have been supported and had counselling etc. Seems so extreme in this case.
 Quoting: Ladydoom

When you open Pandora's Box, this is the kind of shit that comes out.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
01/14/2013 09:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you are blind... That alone is not a reason to call for Euthanasia. And shouldn't be allowed

If you are Deaf AND Blind... well... Life starts to get pretty pointless. Imagine... you can't see anything, you can't hear anything... day in, day out. that is like being locked up solitary.

If you say that somebody is not allowed to make the choice for himself, I say Try to live like that for a month...
No sound no sight, basically no way of communicating with the rest of the world. And than imagine to live like that for the rest of you life.

Then you should be allowed to step out this of this life and face the next, if decide it yourself.
 Quoting: Octavium 1578316

Are we even sure they were going blind? Or did some fucking quack doctor tell them that. Was he even correct? Was there a second opinion? They wern't blind yet from the sound of the story. How do we even know it would have happened for sure?

This seems like really jumping the gun to me, and with two people who are obviously mentaly not all there to begin with... I'll say it again, there is nothing good to say about what happened in this story.
Judethz

User ID: 20521597
United Kingdom
01/14/2013 09:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
When you open Pandora's Box, this is the kind of shit that comes out.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11214802

9teen Indeed it is....... [link to www.youtube.com]
octavium
User ID: 1578316
Netherlands
01/14/2013 09:46 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Octavium 1578316

Are we even sure they were going blind? Or did some fucking quack doctor tell them that. Was he even correct? Was there a second opinion? They wern't blind yet from the sound of the story. How do we even know it would have happened for sure?

This seems like really jumping the gun to me, and with two people who are obviously mentaly not all there to begin with... I'll say it again, there is nothing good to say about what happened in this story.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11214802

It should happen first ofcourse. Not like...I might go blind so i want you to help me to die... that's not quite right.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30742855
United States
01/14/2013 09:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Any person seeking euthanasia should partake in a traditional Ayahuasca ceremony with the guidance of an experienced shaman.

Life is too precious to waste and Mother has ways of keeping our eyes open to this reality within the warmest of loving embraces.

"The draft legislation calls for 'the law to be extended to minors if they are capable of discernment or affected by an incurable illness or suffering that we cannot alleviate.'"

yak
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32180353
Turkey
01/14/2013 09:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Everyone has the right to live or die. It is your life, your choice. If you decide to leave the scene, there must be some people to help you. I'm a doctor myself and I don't have a problem like this because I know what to do when the time comes.
Ladydoom  (OP)

United Kingdom
01/14/2013 10:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Surely these two could of killed themselves alone though if they really wanted to, I am just surprised the doctors thought this was euthanasia worthy. Maybe when they had eventually gone blind and needed assistance to do it. Maybe they would of found they could cope with it anyway.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31862691
United States
01/14/2013 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
should be a personal choice...especially for the old or diseased.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32151618
United Kingdom
01/14/2013 10:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
my personal opinion is irrelevant and is only relevant if it was me wanting euthanasia.
Avalonia
User ID: 1680172
Romania
01/14/2013 10:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes.

Is their choice so we must respect it.

I think that everybody should have the choice to exit this life whenever wants without being incriminated for this.

Is the ultimate Freedom.

Taboo
User ID: 31718232
Spain
01/14/2013 10:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why is everyone so scared of death!!

Why is it we have to prolong life at all costs!!?

If someone has made a choice, it is their choice, their life. People love to make another's plight all about them, it's ridiculous.

People commit suicide with impunity everyday, government backed with cigarettes and alcohol but this is seen as good living.

If someone has made a choice, don't make it about you it just becomes a selfish crusade.

A very small amount of people would ever opt for suicide or euthanasia just due to the fact that so many are petrified of death.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
01/14/2013 10:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Everyone has the right to live or die. It is your life, your choice. If you decide to leave the scene, there must be some people to help you. I'm a doctor myself and I don't have a problem like this because I know what to do when the time comes.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32180353

Ok doctor, so what then if your patient has Malaria and is out of his fucking mind with fever and delusions and says he wants to die? What do you do then? Respect the wishes of a temporarily crazy man who is going to recover in 2 weeks?

That's why you never start down this kind of fucking road. Anybody who really wants to die will do it themselves.
anonymous
User ID: 1593458
United States
01/14/2013 10:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
No one has created life (beside God) and no one has the right to take life. According to the Bible "you are not your own, you were bought with a price..." People can argue all they want and in the end it will be as God wills!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32010685
Canada
01/14/2013 11:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
i watched my mother, with end-stage cancer, die for almost three days. her spirit refused to leave her lifeless, useless shell.

the entire room would hold their breaths, every now and then, as her breathing stopped and we would pray that she was making her way away. but then she would once again draw a shuddring, wheezing breath into her unconscious frame and keep breathing for another few hours.

eventually when her breathing stopped, me, my father, and all of her brothers and sisters who were there would beg her, out loud, "please go..."

after nearly three days of this, we asked the attendant nurse for morphine for her.

a lethal dose was delivered.

she was at peace minutes later.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30983109
United States
01/14/2013 11:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
My mother has Alzheimer's . Had euthanasia been available she would have chosen it. She called me 8 years ago in distress that she was losing her memory and having problems. Now she cannot walk,bathe,feed herself or hold a conversation and has not recognized anyone in the family in 5 years. I would hope in the future that people could make a choice to avoid this kind of existence if that was what they wanted.
IssueX

User ID: 14348632
United States
01/14/2013 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
in a case like that, yes. Being blind is not something I'd like to happen to me, but i'd adapt, and find a way to live my life.

if you are racked with pain, with only weeks to live with a terminal disease, no, that should be your choice.

if we were to keep a dog alive like that, we'd be called cruel, and probably fined, but for some strange reason it's OK to do it to humans.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31647010

I have always wondered about that exactly thing

When someone has an incurably ill or paralyzed pet, people can even get angry and say things like "please, do the right thing put him out of his misery"

but when it's a human, we won't do it even if the person themselve begs to be allowed to die

why?
Sneakypete

User ID: 23491481
Canada
01/14/2013 11:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
No one has created life (beside God) and no one has the right to take life. According to the Bible "you are not your own, you were bought with a price..." People can argue all they want and in the end it will be as God wills!
 Quoting: anonymous 1593458

Oh shut up already! If someone is being kept alive by doctors when they would have previously died if left alone, then the god argument is completely nonsensical. Some people have been kept alive for years even though they were brain dead because of some selfish "living person" not willing to let go. Ergo they are playing god and this is what the religious nutters do!
CalmShock

User ID: 5056346
Canada
01/14/2013 11:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
I don't see a problem with youth in Asia...

On the serious side though, if a person has the mental faculty to make the decision for themselves, then they have the right to their own decision.

Euthanizing a relative that can not communicate their wishes, is more of a grey area... Some people know that their condition will worsen so they make it clear beforehand that they would want the plug pulled... Other times, family members just assume that that's what their loved one would have wanted...

If a person never had a chance to make that decision clear in case of such an event, you need to assume they would choose life. The bottom line is, the only person that can make and should be able to make that decision, is the person who's life it is.
Patience is a virtue I just can't wait to achieve - CalmShock
CalmShock

User ID: 5056346
Canada
01/14/2013 11:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: anonymous 1593458

Oh shut up already! If someone is being kept alive by doctors when they would have previously died if left alone, then the god argument is completely nonsensical. Some people have been kept alive for years even though they were brain dead because of some selfish "living person" not willing to let go. Ergo they are playing god and this is what the religious nutters do!
 Quoting: Sneakypete

I do agree with that point, in the case there is severe brain trauma, with very little brain activity and the person was only able to survive using machines... Then it's time to let go.
Patience is a virtue I just can't wait to achieve - CalmShock

GLP