What's the usefulness of a gun?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19156676
United States
01/14/2013 08:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
What's the usefulness of a gun?
other than leisure activities hunting, target shooting, etc. what other point is there to have a gun? Has anybody on here used one for self-defense or home defense? Or is owning one just a tradition?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: What's the usefulness of a gun?
no takers?
AtsuiPanda

User ID: 16510251
United States
01/14/2013 09:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Protection?
:/sdfhasdfshasd/:
Those who live by the sword die by the sword, those who don't live by the sword are subject to those who do.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28824257
United States
01/14/2013 09:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
They are currently the most efficient means of killing bad guys before they kill you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11214802
Canada
01/14/2013 09:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
My brother knew a guy from Florida who was the director of one of those school building missions for teens. He was going to Ecuador for the summer and was there for a week or two of construction training. The director told him the story of how he shot a guy just a couple of weeks earlier.

This black guy rolled up next to his car on a bicycle believe it or not. He stuck a gun in the window and demanded his wallet. The guy wasn't complying fast enough for the brutha's liking so he pulled the trigger. The gun went click and the mission director knew pulled his out from between the seats and fired his. It didn't go click.

He shot the guy on the bike in the neck and yes he died, right there. True story.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
i'm not asking for brothers uncles stories. has anybody on here personally used one for protection?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29858290
United States
01/14/2013 09:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
Depending on your circumstances hunting is not a leisure activity, it is a matter of life and death.

As long as others have them who wish to do me or others harm there is NOTHING else that is as effective.

Having said that, I hope to never have to use one for self-defense but if I do there is nothing else that is as effective.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
Depending on your circumstances hunting is not a leisure activity, it is a matter of life and death.

As long as others have them who wish to do me or others harm there is NOTHING else that is as effective.

Having said that, I hope to never have to use one for self-defense but if I do there is nothing else that is as effective.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29858290

so are you saying hunting is not a leisure activity in the US?

who wants to cause you harm?

You didn't really explain the utility just potential utility. is there any other tool people use that is for potential utility?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30248208
United States
01/14/2013 09:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've never had to use mine for self defense thank god, but going to the shooting range is a hobby of mine
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31822056
United States
01/14/2013 09:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
other than leisure activities hunting, target shooting, etc. what other point is there to have a gun? Has anybody on here used one for self-defense or home defense? Or is owning one just a tradition?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19156676

What's the usefulness of a stick?
What's the usefulness of a knife?
What's the usefulness of a Progressive?

They are all Tools and used for a purpose. The most common use of a gun is for self protection, used for the defense of ones self and loved ones. It is also the best tool to use to defend ones self from Enemies both foreign and domestic.
History is littered with examples of groups of people that without that ability to protect themselves were destroyed or enslaved.
Apocalypse Troll
Trollicus Apocalyptus

User ID: 54983
United States
01/14/2013 09:20 AM

Report Abusive Post
A gun is very effective in applying the justified use of deadly force, at a distance.
attxflag
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

[link to www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us]
Anonymous Coward
Canada
Report Abusive Post
i'm not asking for brothers uncles stories. has anybody on here personally used one for protection?

I thought you wanted to hear shooting stories. Carrying guns in bear country is never a bad idea. I've done it for that purpose.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31759258
United States
Report Abusive Post
Allows you to not answer stupid questions
Lazy_Dog

User ID: 2386150
United States
Report Abusive Post

Yes, my pistol have defended my family and home.
BRIEF

User ID: 381742
United States

Report Abusive Post
Mine has saved my life, several times...
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:24 AM
Report Abusive Post

What's the usefulness of a stick?
What's the usefulness of a knife?
What's the usefulness of a Progressive?

They are all Tools and used for a purpose. The most common use of a gun is for self protection, used for the defense of ones self and loved ones. It is also the best tool to use to defend ones self from Enemies both foreign and domestic.
History is littered with examples of groups of people that without that ability to protect themselves were destroyed or enslaved.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31822056

good answers other than the progressive part. you know the united states was founded by some progressive guys?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27819872
United States
01/14/2013 09:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Guns are made to kill. It does not matter if its is a duck, a deer, a robber, a rapist or a tyrant.

The best use of a gun is self protection and the eventual killing of tyrants and their agents. If a tyrant is dead set on killing the opposition, then its much better if the opposition can kill 1 or more of they tyrants agents before they themselves are killed.

Otherwise the tyrants agents just keep killing.

When hunting, self protection and killing tyrants is not necessary, the gun usually just sits in the gun safe until its needed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21061993
Ireland
01/14/2013 09:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
to kill people.hf
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Guns are made to kill. It does not matter if its is a duck, a deer, a robber, a rapist or a tyrant.

The best use of a gun is self protection and the eventual killing of tyrants and their agents. If a tyrant is dead set on killing the opposition, then its much better if the opposition can kill 1 or more of they tyrants agents before they themselves are killed.

When hunting, self protection and killing tyrants is not necessary, the gun usually just sits in the gun safe until its needed.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27819872

really in the 21st century? this is a bit of romanticism don't you think?
s.j
User ID: 32177135
United States
01/14/2013 09:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
some people need them to help tie their shoes. that's about all, though
Evil_Twin

User ID: 23761243
United States
01/14/2013 09:38 AM

Report Abusive Post
My wife tried carrying a cop around for protection, but he was too heavy.

Her little revolver only weighs 19 ounces.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
01/14/2013 09:43 AM
Report Abusive Post

You live in a nice gated community full of braindead White libs just like you don't you?

One day you'll meet 3 or 4 negroids in an alley and the biggest one will tell you, "I need your wallet muddyfuggah." Then you'll know the answer to your question.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31822056
United States
01/14/2013 09:44 AM
Report Abusive Post

good answers other than the progressive part. you know the united states was founded by some progressive guys?

No, Not today's version of "Progressives".
They were Revolutionaries, Rebels, Freedom Fighters yes.
The current version of "Progressives are nothing but cloaked Communists.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:50 AM
Report Abusive Post

You live in a nice gated community full of braindead White libs just like you don't you?

One day you'll meet 3 or 4 negroids in an alley and the biggest one will tell you, "I need your wallet muddyfuggah." Then you'll know the answer to your question.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11214802

why would someone who lives in a gated community be on GLP? I doubt there are very many rich people on this forum.

why will i be in an ally in the future, thats not very good situational awareness.

are you canadian? i thought you guys were supposed to be nice.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31866111
United States
Report Abusive Post
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."- George Mason

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

“Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
George Washington - First President of the United States

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

5a
ZeuZ

User ID: 30242197
United States
Report Abusive Post

Have you ever used your penis to have sex? Honestly whats the purpose of it besides peeing?
Eat, drink, and be merry,
for tomorrow,
you may die.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:51 AM
Report Abusive Post

No, Not today's version of "Progressives".
They were Revolutionaries, Rebels, Freedom Fighters yes.
The current version of "Progressives are nothing but cloaked Communists.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31822056

To the british they were terrorists. one many freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

all progressives are commies, thats kind of a broad brush stroke don't you think?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:54 AM
Report Abusive Post

Have you ever used your penis to have sex? Honestly whats the purpose of it besides peeing?
 Quoting: ZeuZ

i'm pretty sure the purpose is for procreation, leisure activities and waste removal, and a high percentage of humanity uses it for all these. There is utility. Not so much for a gun in the US today.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28824257
United States
01/14/2013 09:54 AM
Report Abusive Post

Apparently, everyone who works for or supports this cunt:
ohappy
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 551387
United States
01/14/2013 09:57 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11214802

You hang around in alleys? That might be part of the problem then. If you go to the places criminals hang out, you might just want to expect problems to arise from it.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/14/2013 09:58 AM
Report Abusive Post

Apparently, everyone who works for or supports this cunt:
ohappy
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28824257

what harm has Obama and his cast caused you? you are participating in this thread so you must not be too bad off or you would be doing something useful.

GLP