Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,302 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 237,499
Pageviews Today: 389,476Threads Today: 122Posts Today: 2,250
05:41 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Will Self-Driving Cars Change the Rules of the Road?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17090286
United States
01/20/2013 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Will Self-Driving Cars Change the Rules of the Road?
Not long ago, self-driving cars seemed like science fiction. But Google is now operating so-called autonomous cars in California and Nevada, and last week at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Toyota and Audi unveiled prototypes for self-driving cars to sell to ordinary car buyers. (Google co-founder Sergey Brin said last year he expects his company to have them ready for the general public within five years.) In a report backing self-driving cars, the consulting firm KPMG and the Center for Automotive Research recently predicted that driving is “on the brink of a new technological revolution.”

[link to ideas.time.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16177844
United States
01/20/2013 11:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Will Self-Driving Cars Change the Rules of the Road?
I have heard about this for a long time but have always wondered if they would let this out? I wonder this because the cops make big time money giving us smucks tickets. If a computer is driving your car then they can no longer give out tickets and so they lose a lot of money they scam from us.

and if they knew this is the direction we are going then why have they spent so much money on those cameras that give people tickets if they knew they would be outdated in a few years?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2422491
United States
01/20/2013 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
definitely help your love dolls show up on time.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1237400
United States
01/20/2013 01:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Land Drones -?Tank
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/21/2013 10:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
definitely help your love dolls show up on time.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2422491

cruise
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11314737
United States
01/21/2013 10:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
mercedes benz had three different commercials during the football games claiming something "mysterious" also "sinister" will be revealed on feb 3 2013. i thought maybe it will be self driving cars.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/21/2013 10:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
mercedes benz had three different commercials during the football games claiming something "mysterious" also "sinister" will be revealed on feb 3 2013. i thought maybe it will be self driving cars.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11314737

It reminds me of the Stephen King movie and book "Christine" about the car that keeps murdering people.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14392840
United States
01/21/2013 10:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Not long ago, self-driving cars seemed like science fiction. But Google is now operating so-called autonomous cars in California and Nevada, and last week at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Toyota and Audi unveiled prototypes for self-driving cars to sell to ordinary car buyers. (Google co-founder Sergey Brin said last year he expects his company to have them ready for the general public within five years.) In a report backing self-driving cars, the consulting firm KPMG and the Center for Automotive Research recently predicted that driving is “on the brink of a new technological revolution.”

[link to ideas.time.com]
 Quoting: Booster Gold

It would be a decade before any substantial population had one, and then wed be in WW3 anyways or economic collapse or revolutionary chaos.. so its moot.
Cosmic Traveler

User ID: 7047508
United States
01/21/2013 10:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Self driving cars would suck!

This will never fly in America.
(But then I said that about puters too)
Hard tell'in not know'in
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32018076
United Kingdom
01/21/2013 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Who is to blame if someone gets run over accidentally?
Lucky Charms

User ID: 32719164
Ireland
01/21/2013 11:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
The main thing you'll hear against this is "I wouldn't want to trust my safety to a computer."

The thing is, if all the cars on the road were driven by computer the rate of accidents and road deaths would drop like a stone.

A computer has no "overtake ego", a computer does not become impatient at lights, a computer will never be DUI and so on.

The other thing is, every time you fly you are trusting a computer with your safety.
The autopilot does most of the flying on the average plane trip, pilots mostly handle takeoff and landing and the rest is machine.

Anyway I predict this will happen and once the increased safety can be effectively demonstrated, it will happen quicker than you may think.

It's only the public's ignorance and fear of "the machine" that is holding it back.
'Magically Delicious'
Lucky Charms

Ireland
01/21/2013 11:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32018076

By definition blame cannot be assigned in an accident.
Why does somebody need to be blamed?
'Magically Delicious'
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11314737
United States
01/21/2013 11:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11314737

It reminds me of the Stephen King movie and book "Christine" about the car that keeps murdering people.
 Quoting: Booster Gold

i forgot about that movie, but that's kinda how the commercial made me feel also. like the headlight was staring at me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 961432
United States
01/21/2013 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Self driving cars would suck!

This will never fly in America.
(But then I said that about puters too)
 Quoting: Cosmic Traveler

I don't think they would fly in that consumers would have very low demand - except from liberal greenies who support any tyrannical control of their lives in the false belief of "saving the environment".

People love the autonomy that automobiles provide, why would they cede that autonomy to computers programmed by traffic control engineers?

I guess I could see public transportation services, maybe arterials dedicated to the use of these vehicles. Like maybe several vehicles parked in a public lot until people get in and swipe a card or something, but busses are far more economical.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32018076
United Kingdom
01/21/2013 11:19 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Lucky Charms

Well by accidentally I mean by technical error of the automatic car it mistakes a red light for green or something.
Shoot straight Johnny

User ID: 32512915
United Kingdom
01/21/2013 11:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
I wouldn't want a self driving car. I quite like driving, as long as I'm not driving to work.
The chariots of God are tens of thousands, and thousands of thousands.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 961432
United States
01/21/2013 11:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Which by the way is indicative of the general direction being taken by our economy who's "driver" is central planning. I see articles all the time of despondent billionaires clueless as to where to deploy their capital. Recently read of one billionaire who is putting $9 billion of his capital into wind energy.

He is obviously not betting on organic demand, since he must know wind energy is highly dependent on government subsidies, he must be betting on further communist style command and control of the economy.

That is why you need to find these guys, who are betting on less autonomy in your own lives and refuse to buy anything associated with their names.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12056996
United States
01/21/2013 11:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
awesome no more trucker fuckers hogging up the roads and crying we make america run. rightlane the fuckers put them on 55 mph . accidents go way down , freight rolls 24/7 and mobile home salesmen everywhere cry .
Lucky Charms

Ireland
01/21/2013 11:37 AM
Report Abusive Post

Well by accidentally I mean by technical error of the automatic car it mistakes a red light for green or something.

Well what happens today when an automated system experiences an error that causes an accident?

We track the cause, we fix it and life goes on.
No need to "blame" anybody.

If there is a problem, only foolish people waste time looking to place blame, wise people look for a solution and move on.

Anyway with automated systems like these cars, the rate of accidents would drop so low that the pros would massively outweigh the cons.

The kind of accident you describe, a computer mistaking a red light for green, is incredibly unlikely... you'd need some glaring code error that would never make it past testing and if it did it would have so many redundant systems and backup protocols in both the car and the lights themselves and probably a central traffic control system... dude it's going to be infinitely safer than human senses and reactions, the pros as I said massively outweigh the cons.

You know why flying is statistically the safest form of travel right? (I mean aside from there being less planes than cars moving around.)

Autopilot.

A computer would always beat a human driver in every way and I'd happily wager real money on that.

Never tired.
Never road raging.
Never impatient.
Never distracted.
Never DUI.
Never thinking it's hot shit at the wheel of a car that it can barely drive (soccer moms in their massive "my husband is rich" tanks spring to mind).

It's purely a case of proving to tptb that the safety increase would be exponential and you'll see a massive push for this.
'Magically Delicious'
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32586457
Sweden
01/21/2013 11:37 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yeah, but the car also uses radar type devices for driving.
Also, people die on the roads all the time, and we are accustomed to it, and haven't banned driving. Why would this be any different?
As long as the accident rate per driven mile is lower than the human average, then it's all fine and dandy with me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21903530
Canada
01/21/2013 11:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
What's the point of cars if nobody is in them?

Hey here's a better idea,.. fast efficient mass transit.
Mighty White
User ID: 27944459
Malta
01/21/2013 11:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
I would never let Will Self drive my car.
Lucky Charms

Ireland
01/21/2013 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
What's the point of cars if nobody is in them?

Hey here's a better idea,.. fast efficient mass transit.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21903530

Well the ultimate point is to eliminate privately owned vehicles eventually.

You get up in the morning, your house system says "good morning sir" you say "good morning Alfred" (mine is called Alfred after Batman's butler), you get dressed have food, you say "Alfred call me a transport."

The automated transport hums up to your door and off you go.
Alfred has already told it where and when I need to be, so I just sit back and download the morning news on my google glass.

Last Edited by Lucky Charms on 01/21/2013 11:47 AM
'Magically Delicious'

GLP