Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,417 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 4,706
Pageviews Today: 11,362Threads Today: 4Posts Today: 56
12:04 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

BREAKING -- RFI: Group of soldiers launch apparent coup attempt in Eritrea capital of Asmara; state TV off air

dikkie
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1328988
Netherlands
01/21/2013 08:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
BREAKING -- RFI: Group of soldiers launch apparent coup attempt in Eritrea capital of Asmara; state TV off air
Rumours of military coup in Eritrea
According to reports, a group of soldiers have launched what may have been a coup attempt in Asmara, forcing state TV off the air.

[link to www.english.rfi.fr]
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 08:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: BREAKING -- RFI: Group of soldiers launch apparent coup attempt in Eritrea capital of Asmara; state TV off air
Michael van Poppel ‏@mpoppel
AFP: Eritrean Troops Besiege Mutineers Inside Information Ministry
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 08:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: BREAKING -- RFI: Group of soldiers launch apparent coup attempt in Eritrea capital of Asmara; state TV off air
#BreakingNews: Eritrean army tanks besieged the information ministry in central Asmara
KipKat

User ID: 25952351
Netherlands
01/21/2013 08:59 AM

Report Abusive Post
They had TV? Wow..
:kkwapper:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1196690
United States
01/21/2013 09:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
BBC-

[link to mobile.bbc.co.uk]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14505884
Netherlands
01/21/2013 09:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Eritrea is located on a very strategical position along the red sea, won't be surprised if this would affect oil prices.
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 09:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1196690

thanks for link. hf

Eritrea: 'Troops deployed' in Asmara

Reports from Eritrea say a group of around 100 soldiers have surrounded the ministry of information in the capital, Asmara.

State TV has also reportedly been taken off air in what some have described as a coup attempt

[link to www.bbc.co.uk]
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 09:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Michael van Poppel ‏@mpoppel
REU: Dissident Eritrean troops demanding release of political prisoners: Eritrean intelligence source
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32720904
United States
01/21/2013 09:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
What a coincidence.

America is celebrating its coup today as well.

[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1310640
United States
Report Abusive Post
Let me know when MSNBC goes off the air.
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
Report Abusive Post
thanks for pin.

hf
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 09:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Eritrea is located on a very strategical position along the red sea, won't be surprised if this would affect oil prices.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14505884

damned
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 09:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
This information has now been confirmed by a reliable source from Asmara.

Around 100 members of the Eritrean Defence force and two tanks stormed the ministry of Information head quarters in Forto just outside Asmara and forced their commanders and also the top officials at the ministry into one room and then went on to force the news reader Asmelash to read announcements that:

they will be freeing all prisoners of conscience
they will implement the constitution
that the ministry of information is under their total control

[link to martinplaut.wordpress.com]
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 10:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
“We do not know who is leading the situation… everybody has been put into the same room (in the ministry),” he said, adding that he had spoken to sources in Asmara.
The reports were not possible to confirm independently.
However, Eritrean expatriates who had spoken to compatriots in Asmara said they could confirm reports that troops had been deployed at the information ministry, and that state television Eri-TV had stopped broadcasting, they told AFP.
All Eritrea’s public media are recorded and broadcast from the ministry.
“The local transmission has been cut, the only satellite signal is airing some archives,” Amanuel added.

[link to www.capitalfm.co.ke]
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 10:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Eritrean troops besiege mutineers in Asmara: diplomats

Eritrean army tanks besieged the information ministry in central Asmara on Monday after some 200 mutineers seized the building to call for political reform, diplomatic and diaspora sources said Monday.

No shots had been fired and the rest of the city appeared calm, the diplomats added, although very few details were immediately available.

There was no immediate indication it was an attempt to overthrow the government of Eritrea, which has been led by Isaias Afewerki, 66, for some two decades since it broke away from bigger neighbour Ethiopia.

The renegade soldiers forced the director of state television to make an announcement, the Eritrean intelligence official said.

[link to english.alarabiya.net]
Saddletramp

User ID: 736969
Puerto Rico
01/21/2013 12:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
I gotta be totally honest with you here...I didn't even know there was an Eritrea...

Learn some new shit every day...now I have to forget something to make room...
"And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods..." ~ Horatius

"Because he told the truth, and once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey..."

"We don't rent pigs!"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32720904
United States
01/21/2013 01:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
I gotta be totally honest with you here...I didn't even know there was an Eritrea...

Quoting: Saddletramp

It's a desert wasteland full of blacks with AK47's.

Think Detroit without the buildings, cable TV, or EBT cards.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31557420
United States
01/21/2013 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ban soldiers.
insertfunnyusername

User ID: 32224343
Greece
01/21/2013 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the heads up OP. 5* cheers

Interesting development, coup attempt in a country run by a totalitarian regime already. Eritrea ranks last worldwide in press freedom, 179, one position below N.Korea if that's even possible, they only have state tv. Human rights record is poor also off course with even human trafficking allegations against them.

Relations with neighbors are also poor due to disputes and recent wars. What i found surprising in the short research i've just done is Israel describing Eritrea as a strategic ally and the only friendly port in the Red Sea.

Last Edited by insertfunnyusername on 01/21/2013 01:05 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31557420
United States
01/21/2013 01:04 PM
Report Abusive Post

It is in the horn of African. Reason I know the nation is because I think the women from there are so fucking hot...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32620901
Germany
01/21/2013 01:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
saudi arabia wont be pleased at all.
neither will be sudan.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32620901
Germany
01/21/2013 01:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
africa goes apeshit in recent days.
one can only hope that europe has some sort of containment strategy.
if not everything will be at stake.
dikkie  (OP)

Netherlands
01/21/2013 01:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the heads up OP. 5* cheers

Interesting development, coup attempt in a country run by a totalitarian regime already. Eritrea ranks last worldwide in press freedom, 179, one position below N.Korea if that's even possible, they only have state tv. Human rights record is poor also off course with even human trafficking allegations against them.

Relations with neighbors are also poor due to disputes and recent wars. What i found surprising in the short research i've just done is Israel describing Eritrea as a strategic ally and the only friendly port in the Red Sea.
 Quoting: insertfunnyusername

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31243632
United States
01/21/2013 05:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
From a Libyan in London -

noman benotman (@nbenotman)
1/21/13, 5:14 PM
According to opposition leader Adam al-Haj Musa, #Eritrea's defense minister and chief of army staff have been killed.
#Africa
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23645122
Netherlands
01/22/2013 05:58 AM
Report Abusive Post

It is in the horn of African. Reason I know the nation is because I think the women from there are so fucking hot...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31557420

hahahahaha

lol

GLP