Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,322 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 170,473
Pageviews Today: 285,553Threads Today: 106Posts Today: 1,954
02:57 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

I'm an Atheist. Why should I believe in a god? Which god? and why?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24591249
United States
01/27/2013 10:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: I'm an Atheist. Why should I believe in a god? Which god? and why?
Mark 16:15 And he [Jesus] said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils...they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Do we have evidence of this? Yes

A Christian heals a blind boy, in the name of Jesus. The boy regains his sight.

[link to www.youtube.com]

Christian heals a girl's deafness in the name of Jesus

[link to www.youtube.com (secure)]

Christian woman, heals blindness, and deafness, for many in the name of Jesus.

[link to www.youtube.com (secure)]
Don'tBeAfraid

User ID: 32113282
United States
01/27/2013 10:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
How can an atheist, be 100% certain, that there's no God,

when there's no 100% proof, that life originated from inorganic matter, or abiogenesis?

The current best 'proof' of abiogenesis, is that liposomes, havw an auto-catalytic nature.

However even then, lipsomes, comes from something, that's already alive, the cell membrane.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24591249

Since you capitalized the word God I am assuming you are specifically referring to the God of the Bible that Created the world in 6 days according to his absolute Word written down.

That's rather easy.

The Bible cannot be the inerrant word of God because, well, it contains lies and inconsistencies and doesn't prove jackshit.

If you rephrased your statement as to how atheists can be 100% certain there isn't anything that we would describe as godlike then I agree with you.

But that doesn't give any credence to your creation myth.

That I am an atheist does not mean I am as convinced that abiogenesis started life on Earth as you are certain that the God of the Bible exists.

I can safely say I am not certain, although I do think it is by far the most likely option.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22089462

Finally someone who's an atheist and well spoken. Would you be willing to expand upon why are an atheist and what is the basis for believing that? You don't have to be apologist for the movement, but you could provide some clarity here. You sound educated, so that's always welcome in these kinds of discussions.

I'm sincere, because as an intellectual, I enjoy meeting people with other ideas and cultures.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/27/2013 10:20 AM
Report Abusive Post

when there's no 100% proof, that life originated from inorganic matter, or abiogenesis?

The current best 'proof' of abiogenesis, is that liposomes, havw an auto-catalytic nature.

However even then, lipsomes, comes from something, that's already alive, the cell membrane.

Since you capitalized the word God I am assuming you are specifically referring to the God of the Bible that Created the world in 6 days according to his absolute Word written down.

That's rather easy.

The Bible cannot be the inerrant word of God because, well, it contains lies and inconsistencies and doesn't prove jackshit.

If you rephrased your statement as to how atheists can be 100% certain there isn't anything that we would describe as godlike then I agree with you.

That I am an atheist does not mean I am as convinced that abiogenesis started life on Earth as you are certain that the God of the Bible exists.

I can safely say I am not certain, although I do think it is by far the most likely option.

There are other perspectives.

For example, one lady, stated, she went to heaven, saw God, and Jesus.

In addition, she stated, God revealed to her more info about our beginning.

She stated, she saw all the land masses / continents, were once connected. There's of course current evidence for this. Even my college geography professor, believes this as well, since the edges of the continents, fit like a jigsaw puzzle.

What's also unique, about her case, is that she came across veridical info about the deceased in heaven, giving evidence that the experience was not a product of the imagination.

2 Corinthians 12 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell.

This lets us know that there may be more things, that hasn't yet been revealed.
Mickeyblue
User ID: 9806228
United States
01/27/2013 10:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Direct your question to God and you might get an answer. It is He who calls us into faith, period.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22089462
Netherlands
01/27/2013 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post

That's rather easy.

Finally someone who's an atheist and well spoken. Would you be willing to expand upon why are an atheist and what is the basis for believing that? You don't have to be apologist for the movement, but you could provide some clarity here. You sound educated, so that's always welcome in these kinds of discussions.

I'm sincere, because as an intellectual, I enjoy meeting people with other ideas and cultures.
 Quoting: Don'tBeAfraid

I'm an atheist because I don't have faith in Islam, Christianity, Buddhism or any other religion I am familiar with.

In general religions have roughly equal value to me (although fundamentalists can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned), I don't see why people looking for metaphysical answers to life can arrive at such different answers while being absolutely certain they are correct while all others are wrong. The only conclusion I can make is that all are wrong.

What's worse with for example Christianity specifically is that a lot of people are claiming open your heart to god (blablablabla) and you will get the answers. Yet somehow the answers that Christians as a whole have received over the last 2000 years caused Christianity to splinter into thousands of denominations that again can't all be correct. So either you believe that the vast majority of Christians are misled when they received "answers from God" or you can conclude it doesn't work like that.

There are more reasons though, but those are kinda the fundamentals.
Anonymous Coward
Netherlands
01/27/2013 10:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Direct your question to God and you might get an answer. It is He who calls us into faith, period.
 Quoting: Mickeyblue 9806228

Yes it's all the fault of those nasty non-believers! They should try harder!

*sigh*

But ok go and explain me how Christianity managed to splinter into a shitton of different denominations if your God answers prayers in concise ways? Why would your God make one person a Catholic and another a Born Again?

How can both Born Again evangelicals and Catholics be correct at the same time?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 32076855
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 12:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well OP, certainly your God Darwin is laughable.

Having said, in your inchoate search for enlightenment and God, I would definitely recommend you ignore any mass murdering pedo prophets like Mohammed, just to start things off, saves a lot of time!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14593095

Darwin is a god? But I don't believe in a god, I'm an atheist. That doesn't make sense. Why is Darwin laughable?
Anonymous Coward
Netherlands
01/27/2013 12:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well OP, certainly your God Darwin is laughable.

Having said, in your inchoate search for enlightenment and God, I would definitely recommend you ignore any mass murdering pedo prophets like Mohammed, just to start things off, saves a lot of time!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14593095

Darwin is a god? But I don't believe in a god, I'm an atheist. That doesn't make sense. Why is Darwin laughable?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32076855

Guess that also means you should also disregard the Bible since God himself did slaughter thousands upon thousands of innocent children because he had a disagreement with their dictatorial leader (for fucks sake he could have just *poofed* the Jewish slaves to Judea to start with).
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26868696
United States
01/27/2013 12:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

alan watts can sum things up pretty well
Rick Nevsimal
User ID: 4303929
United States
01/27/2013 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
For me when I look at the night sky and the intricacy of how all life fits together one earth I can't help but believe in God. When I read the Bible I sense the presence of God in the words.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mark 16:15 And he [Jesus] said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils...they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I've seen claims of healing, yet I've never seen any proof. Medical records would be a good start.
I used to go to a charismatic church. People would scream, fall down and say they were healed. Yet, not one person kept their healing that I know of. The same people would go up for healing and then say they felt better when asked (probably just being polite) and then it becomes a claim for healing. I seen this alot at christian conferences etc.
False prophecies are every where too. They are smooth tongued venomous snakes, they will tell you anything to boost your ego or make you think that all is changing for the best.
I've had some great prophecies. I would of loved them to be true, but I've woke up to the truth, I was deceived.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 01:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Mickeyblue 9806228

Trust me when I say that I have done plenty of that.
Why won't he convince me if he knows me? He would know exactly how to convince me and what would not. So even if he had tried, why choose a method he knows will not convince me.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/27/2013 04:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

I've seen claims of healing, yet I've never seen any proof. Medical records would be a good start.

Inversely, did you personally check, their medical records, to prove the person didn't receive healing?

To blindly accept info, without evidence, is just as unwise to blindly reject without evidence.

Also, if there are frauds, I would say be careful to jump to conclusions, that all occurrences are also frauds.

This would be like, coming across a lying person, that belonged to a group. If the person, lies, that doesn't mean all people are liars.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 08:21 PM
Report Abusive Post

Inversely, did you personally check, their medical records, to prove the person didn't receive healing?

To blindly accept info, without evidence, is just as unwise to blindly reject without evidence.

Also, if there are frauds, I would say be careful to jump to conclusions, that all occurrences are also frauds.

This would be like, coming across a lying person, that belonged to a group. If the person, lies, that doesn't mean all people are liars.

I didn't need to, they still complained of their problems.
There is a lot of money in the game.

Watch this video. It does not discredit christianity, but does show how bad some preachers can be. I know christians that have got a lot out of it. It's Majoe Gortner exposing himself as a con artist, yet he carried the marks of being filled with the holy spirit. Worth the watch especially if your a christian.

Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 08:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to youtu.be]

Zuzu's Petals

User ID: 31989439
Canada
01/27/2013 08:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

I'm considering god, but need a rational reason to actually believe. I would never take blind faith, as you could end up in any religion just dependant on the influence around you.

Anyway, I'm searching, but need a rational way to decide.
 Quoting: Please be serious 32076855

I think believing in something can give people hope and faith...especially in rough times. Some people say that's a bad thing because to them it's not "real," and it gives people a false sense of security. Imo, anything that can give people some hope in times of need can't really be all that bad. I don't really know what exactly it is I believe in, but I do believe there is something out there far greater than me, something protecting me, guiding me...even when the going gets rough and I have my doubts there is.

I don't think others can decide for you.
"I don't have pet peeves; I have major psychotic ******* hatreds, okay. And it makes the world a lot easier to sort out." George Carlin

Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 08:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oh yeah, I also think it's unwise to label a group based on a members action. The problem is that I've not seen anyone actually do healing, but good at suggesting offering. I have come across some genuine people that try to heal, but they don't succeed. Sorry, I know this genralises, but I've been in and around it and have not seen evidence.

I'm not an atheist that thinks he can look down on people of faith. I respect it in ways. I was, my family are and my fiancee is. I don't want to hurt feelings, but I do worry about the consequences of following most of your life and then coming out with huge regrets about your life.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 08:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

I'm considering god, but need a rational reason to actually believe. I would never take blind faith, as you could end up in any religion just dependant on the influence around you.

I think believing in something can give people hope and faith...especially in rough times. Some people say that's a bad thing because to them it's not "real," and it gives people a false sense of security. Imo, anything that can give people some hope in times of need can't really be all that bad. I don't really know what exactly it is I believe in, but I do believe there is something out there far greater than me, something protecting me, guiding me...even when the going gets rough and I have my doubts there is.

Quoting: Zuzu's Petals

That is good. It doesn't control your actions and maybe helps you to be good as a person. It's not like your quoting bible verses at people that don't make sense to them or other things that alienate you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6559517
Netherlands
01/27/2013 08:40 PM
Report Abusive Post

You're not an atheist but rather an agnostic dumbass.

bonghit
Zuzu's Petals

User ID: 31989439
Canada
01/27/2013 08:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Zuzu's Petals

That is good. It doesn't control your actions and maybe helps you to be good as a person. It's not like your quoting bible verses at people that don't make sense to them or other things that alienate you.

Anything that involves quoting bible verses in order to justify one's own actions or to chastise someone else for theirs...I have a problem with.

Have you read anything about The Tao? I'm just learning about all of it, it's pretty inspiring.
"I don't have pet peeves; I have major psychotic ******* hatreds, okay. And it makes the world a lot easier to sort out." George Carlin

Water Flower

User ID: 33068532
United States
01/27/2013 08:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is a tough question because no one should be forced to believe in the Creator. But in many holy books, they say God, The CREATOR is Unconditional Love. Only through our hearts can we feel any sort of real love. As a practice, by closing one's eyes, touching the center of the chest with a finger or two, just to keep an awareness to the chest center, and remember a time of great joy and happiness, we feel better and start to smile a bit. Our heart feels better too. If we then go to a time that we were angry, does our chest not tighten up? It doesn't feel good - at least not like remembering a good time in our lives. It is those good times that make us feel good inside that we are now connecting with the Source of Unconditional Love - what some people call God or whatever other various names. If you choose not to name it, fine. Just feel the love and enjoy it reaching and touching your heart. Let it go through your whole heart and whole being - that feeling of calmness and peace. Share it -don't hoard it because then you'll feel like it's too much and you're about to explode. Enjoy. Might as well feel happiness and joy despite your own doubts.

Last Edited by Lotus Bloom on 01/27/2013 09:00 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1743891
Australia
01/27/2013 09:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Q. Why should I believe in God?
You don't have to, it's a God given choice. It's up to you.
God's plan is for you to decide whether you will follow him or not. Lucifer's plan was that you MUST follow God. Of course when he was cast down to the Earth his plan became to follow him as a god and to not believe in the true and living God.

Q. Which God?
There is only one God. The creator of all things. Alpha and Omega.

Q. Why God?
Anyone that denies God or His Son Jesus will not be saved.
We are saved by grace and not by the law. Which is why we say Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. In hell there is no life, no water, no rest, no wisdom. And that is for eternity!

If you're not ready to believe in God then don't pressure yourself into "having to" believe. If you live a godly life then God will allow the holy spirit to work with you and bring you conviction.

Please know one thing, when the Antichrist takes his seat and rules the earth, everyone will have to make a choice. You either choose Jesus or you choose Lucifer. There will be no Atheism or "I choose neither". Christians and Atheists will be killed. Only those that choose Lucifer will be allowed to live and they'll receive the mark of the beast. If you choose Lucifer and to receive the mark you will be damned for all eternity.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2426721
United States
01/27/2013 09:54 PM
Report Abusive Post

May I respectfully ask...what's your point behind posting this vid?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/28/2013 09:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's an eye opener.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11211420
United States
01/28/2013 09:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's an eye opener.

The development of human consciousness has structure.

You CANNOT have human consciousness as it stands today without eukaryotic cellular consciousness, which is the type of cells that form humans.

Thread: The Contact Thread ~ The Magic Of Our Fractal Reality ~ Wanna Take A Ride? (version 20.13)

------
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/29/2013 06:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
To clear things up. I'm an atheist, not agnostic. I say I'm considering but not in the sense that I actually believe there is one. I'm 99.9999% certain that there is no god.
What I'm considering is belief systems and why they believe what they do. Where is the evidence of such things.
I'm sorry I didn't respond to a lot of messages, but they were either without scientific evidence or they were issues I've resolved. I have read them all and nothing there could covince me.

I did find what I thought to be a gem though, which is pantheistic atheism. But then I started hearing about vibrations and I thought the gem was more like plastic.
Where does this vibrations stuff come from? How can it be proven. However, I know you can take and leave want you want anyway, which is good.
Anyway, I like the ideals of pantheism which are actually pretty much atheistic. So, this I am considering.
Can anyone tell me more?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
01/29/2013 06:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
To clear things up. I'm an atheist, not agnostic. I say I'm considering but not in the sense that I actually believe there is one. I'm 99.9999% certain that there is no god.
What I'm considering is belief systems and why people believe what they do. Where is the evidence of such things.
I'm sorry I didn't respond to a lot of messages, but they were either without scientific evidence or they were issues I've resolved. I have read them all and nothing there could covince me.

I did find what I thought to be a gem though, which is pantheistic atheism. But then I started hearing about vibrations and I thought the gem was more like plastic.
Where does this vibrations stuff come from? How can it be proven. However, I know you can take and leave want you want anyway, which is good.
Anyway, I like the ideals of pantheism which are actually pretty much atheistic. So, this I am considering.
Can anyone tell me more?
Don'tBeAfraid

User ID: 32113282
United States
01/29/2013 06:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
What I'm considering is belief systems and why they believe what they do. Where is the evidence of such things.

Can anyone tell me more?

So basically you're too passive to go out and read? Come on! There's so much out there. Read some Spinoza if you're interested in pantheism. Sheesh, you're kinda intellectually lazy for an atheist.

While he makes the claim that Spinoza is not a patheist in the truest sense (God by definition is supernatural, yet for Spinoza God is natural and Nature) most philosophy departments at any university would label Spinoza one of the pantheists.
[link to plato.stanford.edu]
"Arguments of this general type may also proceed from starting points more philosophical than theological. For example, Spinoza, the most famous of all modern pantheists starts from the necessary existence of something he calls ‘substance.’ By this he means that which exists wholly in its own right, that whose existence does not depend upon anything else. The notion of ‘the Absolute’, or wholly unconditioned reality, as it figures in the philosophies of Schelling, Hegel, and the British Idealists may be considered a related development of the same philosophical starting point. In both cases the reasoning runs that this necessary being must be all-inclusive and, hence, divine."

Last Edited by Don'tBeAfraid on 01/29/2013 06:51 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33245798
Saudi Arabia
01/29/2013 06:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
God has no son nor father and God has no partners.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33245798
Saudi Arabia
01/29/2013 06:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
sura 4:171
O FOLLOWERS of the Gospel! Do not overstep the bounds [of truth] in your religious beliefs, [180] and do not say of God anything but the truth. The Christ Jesus, son of Mary, was but God's Apostle - [the fulfilment of] His promise which He had conveyed unto Mary - and a soul created by Him. [181] Believe, then, in God and His apostles, and do not say, "[God is] a trinity". Desist [from this assertion] for your own good. God is but One God; utterly remote is He, in His glory, from having a son: unto Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on earth; and none is as worthy of trust as God.

4:172
Never did the Christ feel too proud to be God's servant, nor do the angels who are near unto Him. And those who feel too proud to serve Him and glory in their arrogance [should know that on Judgment Day] He will gather them all unto Himself:

GLP