Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,547 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,417,374
Pageviews Today: 2,366,697Threads Today: 944Posts Today: 16,847
10:06 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

989 mb Explosively Developing Low over Chicago early Wed!!! TWO DEATHS CONFIRMED!!!! Compared with cleveland superbomb

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33011876
Portugal
01/25/2013 03:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
989 mb Explosively Developing Low over Chicago early Wed!!! TWO DEATHS CONFIRMED!!!! Compared with cleveland superbomb
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

GFS 12z uncorks another historical strength extratropical cyclone, this time over Quebec. Remember the Cleveland SuperBomb?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 03:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: 989 mb Explosively Developing Low over Chicago early Wed!!! TWO DEATHS CONFIRMED!!!! Compared with cleveland superbomb
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

6-day forecast for 960 mb forecast (then 950-mb only 6-hours later) -- track from Detroit thru Ontario to Quebec. [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32348185
Canada
01/25/2013 03:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: 989 mb Explosively Developing Low over Chicago early Wed!!! TWO DEATHS CONFIRMED!!!! Compared with cleveland superbomb
banana2 We all Gonna Die!!! banana2
mimmsy

User ID: 26293126
United States
01/25/2013 03:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
what exactly does it mean
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: mimmsy

It means what it says... a deep low storm from Detroit to Ontario, to Quebec... i'm shoked and speachless! shocked
mimmsy

United States
01/25/2013 04:05 PM
Report Abusive Post

It means what it says... a deep low storm from Detroit to Ontario, to Quebec... i'm shoked and speachless! shocked
 Quoting: Luisport

storm we have storms all the time what makes this special..?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

well Ryan Maue compares this storm with January 25-27, 1978 "Cleveland Superbomb"... [link to www.weather.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
The "Cleveland Superbomb" blasted portions of the Midwest with severe blizzard conditions, particularly in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. The term "Superbomb" refers to the extremely low pressure (958 mb) this storm had as it passed near Cleveland, Ohio. A pressure this low is more typically seen in a hurricane.

Blog: Mike Bettes remembers the storm

Highways were clogged with stranded motorists and doctors and emergency personnel were forced to use skis and snowmobiles. The Indiana governor sent tanks onto I-65 to remove stranded trucks. In Ohio, the National Guard was called in to assist with the worst travel disruption ever seen in the state.

"Superbomb" Facts:

•
Snow totals of 1 to 3 feet were common throughout the region.

•
Wind gusts approached an amazing 100 mph in Ohio, which caused drifts to pile as high as 25 feet.

•
The enormous drifts buried cars and even houses while making railways and roadways impassable.

•
In Ohio, I-75 was shutdown for 3 days and a portion of I-475 near Toledo was closed for 6 days. The entire Ohio turnpike was closed for the first time in history. National Guard helicopters flew 2,700 missions across the state to rescue stranded motorists.

•
Widespread wind damage was reported across Ohio. Thousands of trees and miles of utility lines were blown down.

•
Around 100,000 vehicles were abandoned in Michigan alone, mostly in the southeast part of the state.

•
In Indianapolis, Ind., visibilities remained below 1/4 mile for 25 hours!

•
The combination of strong winds and a bitter cold air mass sent wind chills to near -50 degrees. Continued cold and strong winds after the snowfall ended hampered recovery operations.

•
Around 70 deaths are related to the blizzard.

[link to www.weather.com]
mimmsy

United States
01/25/2013 04:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

well Ryan Maue compares this storm with January 25-27, 1978 "Cleveland Superbomb"... [link to www.weather.com]

I see. not in focast tho ? scary what they don't warn about
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Cleveland Superbomb, January 1978

By Kayla WebleyWednesday, Feb. 02, 2011
Meteorologists have a name for a storm that occurs when air pressure drops very rapidly as a jet stream brings in moisture: a weather bomb. In late January 1978, a low-pressure system moving from the Gulf Coast met with two other low-pressure systems, one from the Southwest and one from Canada, to create one of the worst snowstorms the Midwest has ever seen. With barometric pressure so low, it was more like a hurricane than a snowstorm, the so-called Cleveland Superbomb dumped 1-3 ft. (30-90 cm) of snow on several Midwestern states, including Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. Wind gusts approached 100 m.p.h. (160 km/h), causing snowdrifts to reach heights of 25 ft. (8 m) in some areas. Such snowdrifts made roadways impassable, forcing doctors and emergency personnel to ski and snowmobile their way to those in need. Indiana's governor sent tanks down I-65 to remove stranded trucks, while in Ohio, National Guard helicopters flew some 2,700 missions to help stranded drivers. About 70 deaths are attributed to the storm.

While the Cleveland Superbomb has an intriguing name, the most well-known snowstorm of that year was known simply as the Great New England Blizzard of 1978. On Feb. 6, about two weeks after the Superbomb, a blizzard dealt Boston and other parts of the Northeast as many as 27 in. (69 cm) of snow with winds of 80-110 m.p.h. (130-180 km/h). Thousands of homes were damaged or destroyed and approximately 100 people died.
[link to www.time.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
[youtube] [link to www.youtube.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
ANNONYMOUS
User ID: 8415236
United States
01/25/2013 04:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
5a

Yep, I remember that baby. I left Cleveland around 1 pm and seven hours later I got to Toledo. Luckily found a room at Holiday Inn and struck out the next day for Ann Arbor, MI. Took 4 hours to get from Toledo to Ann Arbor normally a 50 min drive. No fun at all!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.ecmwf.int]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov]
Texan Buckeye

User ID: 1533753
United States
01/25/2013 04:39 PM

Report Abusive Post
Hey, Luis. I remember the storm of '78. My nephew was born the night before. When my mom, dad and I left the hospital, after visiting my sil, it was just starting to snow. We had NO warning it was going to be that bad. I-75 wasn't the only road closed in the Toledo area. ALL the roads were closed.

If they are forecasting a similar storm, this is REAL doom! People up there need to pay attention and be ready. Our power was out for several days and our little town blocked us from going in to get groceries, even though we lived less than a mile from town.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Portugal
01/25/2013 04:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey, Luis. I remember the storm of '78. My nephew was born the night before. When my mom, dad and I left the hospital, after visiting my sil, it was just starting to snow. We had NO warning it was going to be that bad. I-75 wasn't the only road closed in the Toledo area. ALL the roads were closed.

If they are forecasting a similar storm, this is REAL doom! People up there need to pay attention and be ready. Our power was out for several days and our little town blocked us from going in to get groceries, even though we lived less than a mile from town.
 Quoting: Texan Buckeye

untill now only Ryan Maue is talking about it... lets hope it don't be that bad!hf
Texan Buckeye

United States
01/25/2013 04:49 PM

Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Texan Buckeye

untill now only Ryan Maue is talking about it... lets hope it don't be that bad!hf

I hope so too. I've been a few other blizzards since that one, but that was the worst I've ever seen. I can't explain how bad it was. The fire dept. had to take our town doctors on snowmobiles to accidents, heart attacks, that sort of thing. They couldn't use the ambulances. They even had to take a couple of victims to Toledo by snowmobile, the 'copters couldn't fly for over a day. It was almost 2 weeks before I could get back to work and that wasn't even in my own office! I took a closer one, because the lady that worked there, couldn't get to it.
Texan Buckeye

United States
01/25/2013 04:57 PM

Report Abusive Post
[link to forecast.weather.gov]

This is scary. The NWS is NOT forecasting another blizzard, just like they did NOT forecast one in '78. Their forecast doesn't have the high wind in it for a blizzard.

This link WILL update as they change the forecast. Hopefully, Toledo will be out of range.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33052410
Portugal
01/26/2013 06:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

@borenbears @afreedma true, it will set the stage for several strong storms to impact UK as well as historical Great Lakes storm +6 days
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30329511
United States
01/26/2013 07:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
I remember that blizzard. My dad had to jump out of our kitchen windo because our doors were buried to the top. It took him 4 hours to tunnel around the house and dig the doors out. Our VW bus was in the driveway and all we could see was the top few inches of the roof.

As kids we spent days building elaborate tunnels and snow forts through the yard. We dragged my mom through one of the tunnels and she got claustrophobic cause it didn't end.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33202460
Portugal
01/28/2013 11:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

GFS 00z forecasts 989 mb explosively developing low over Chicago early Wed, expect major severe weather. [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
01/28/2013 11:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

Precipitable water from Gulf of Mexico typical of March/April in Great Lakes -- Gulf open for business. [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
01/28/2013 11:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

Thursday, front clears E. seaboard, back to Arctic bone-dry winter climate. [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
01/28/2013 11:50 AM
Report Abusive Post

Stu Ostro‏@StuOstro

RT@WxNick:Inspired by @NWSIWX disc, I annotated this map of unusual moist plume fcst ahead of next storm - rare for Jan [link to twitter.com]

17 minRyan Maue‏@RyanMaue

@StuOstro @WxNick @NWSIWX nailed it -- normalized anomalies are in the record territory as well. --> GFS 12z forecast [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
01/28/2013 11:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

WeatherBELL Models open for next 2-days for Severe Weather maps ... [link to models.weatherbell.com] [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
01/28/2013 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post

Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

@dvictor11 in the LLJ -- above the surface, definitely hurricane-force. Any storms would mix down --> straight line wind threat.

13 minRyan Maue‏@RyanMaue

NAM-WRF 4km precipitable water shows ridiculous amts ahead of front ... Arctic dump afterward [link to models.weatherbell.com]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
01/28/2013 12:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Weather Underground‏@wunderground

Wild temperature swings will coincide with a powerful storm system crossing the country this week: [link to wxug.us]
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
01/28/2013 12:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
over 30 degrees above normal highs unbelieveable for jan!!! [link to weather.unisys.com] [link to weather.unisys.com]
Ollo

User ID: 33199007
United States
01/28/2013 12:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey Luis- what's this thing supposed to do on the east coast?

GLP