Person445
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 11438968
Canada
01/27/2013 09:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Coca-Cola admits Dasani is really just 'purified' tap water
This article was published by Natural News and the article written by Ethan A. Huff.

As more and more people wake up to the dangers of fluoride, chlorine, pharmaceuticals, and the many other toxic compounds found in municipal water supplies, the market for bottled water has exploded. But in the process, some major food and beverage corporations have unwittingly begun peddling that very same tap water in bottles as "pure," a deceptive labeling term that is the subject of a new trade controversy in Europe.

According to a recent report by Occupy Monsanto, the Dasani water brand, which is owned by beverage giant Coca-Cola, is one such bottled water counterfeit, if you will, that contains purified tap water dressed in fancy-looking bottles. Like many other bottled water brands, Dasani is sold at a premium price, and many people perceive it to be superior to tap water, even though it actually is just tap water.

Even though the majority of the impurities have admittedly been removed from Dasani water, and minerals added back in, many people do not realize that the water contained in Dasani bottles is not actually from a natural spring. If you read closely the labels found on water bottles, it usually spells out the source where the water inside was derived. But this information is often overlooked by consumers who believe they are buying something superior.

Learn more: [link to www.naturalnews.com]

Last Edited by Person445 on 01/27/2013 12:02 PM
Follow me on Twitter: @RussellScott202
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22089462
Netherlands
01/27/2013 09:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Coca-Cola admits Dasani is really just 'purified' tap water
As more and more people wake up to the dangers of fluoride, chlorine, pharmaceuticals, and the many other toxic compounds found in municipal water supplies, the market for bottled water has exploded. But in the process, some major food and beverage corporations have unwittingly begun peddling that very same tap water in bottles as "pure," a deceptive labeling term that is the subject of a new trade controversy in Europe.

According to a recent report by Occupy Monsanto, the Dasani water brand, which is owned by beverage giant Coca-Cola, is one such bottled water counterfeit, if you will, that contains purified tap water dressed in fancy-looking bottles. Like many other bottled water brands, Dasani is sold at a premium price, and many people perceive it to be superior to tap water, even though it actually is just tap water.

Even though the majority of the impurities have admittedly been removed from Dasani water, and minerals added back in, many people do not realize that the water contained in Dasani bottles is not actually from a natural spring. If you read closely the labels found on water bottles, it usually spells out the source where the water inside was derived. But this information is often overlooked by consumers who believe they are buying something superior.

Quoting: Person445

What is a natural spring?

Look unless your countries/regions water quality is really shit tap water is the same quality as bottled water.... And thus a complete and utter rip off since it costs like 200 to 500x more.

Bottled water drills a hole in the ground to pump it up and tap water does the same (in the same water layers generally even).
John Donson
User ID: 32359513
United States
01/27/2013 09:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow! You're just now waking up to this? I could write novels about the dangers of bottled water but I'll spare you the details.
Buy yourself an under-the-counter 5 stage reverse osmosis system for your drinking water. You can probably find one for $150-$200. It'll pay for itself in no time and will last at least 5 years, but I've seen some that'll last 15 years.
Kael

User ID: 1451069
Syria
01/27/2013 11:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
"Thou we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven that which we are, we are.
One equal temper of heroic hearts made weak by time and fate but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield"
Useless Cookie Eater

User ID: 29696048
United States
01/27/2013 11:42 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Person445

It doesn't say SPRING WATER on the bottle....it says PURIFIED WATER.

Is this supposed to be some big revelation???
...or just news for those who are illiterate and cannot read???

hick
amachiavellian

User ID: 20940257
Canada
01/27/2013 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
No offense, but I thought this was pretty common knowledge. They use reverse osmosis to purify it and state that on their website.

[link to www.dasani.com]

"In designing DASANI to be the best tasting water, we start with the local water supply, which is then filtered by reverse osmosis to remove impurities. The purified water is then enhanced with a special blend of minerals for the pure, crisp, fresh taste that’s delightfully DASANI."

— read for knowledge, not answers.
Floobarb the Argnorf

User ID: 26218433
United States
01/27/2013 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Admits? Its printed on the fucking label. It always has been. Can you read?
The Aluminated One
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22958406
United States
01/27/2013 11:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
My wife insists on buying water from those refill stations at the supermarket. I joke that they probably are connected to a hose in a sink in the back.

She doesn't appreciate my sense of humor sometimes.
G3

User ID: 1531577
United States
01/27/2013 11:51 AM

Report Abusive Post
October 2007:

Thread: Dasani bottled water is just tap water from local reservoir
Person445  (OP)

User ID: 11438968
Canada
01/27/2013 11:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've known about this for many years, I would consider it pedestrian knowledge.

It was only just published by Natural News and the article written by Ethan A. Huff.

Although the article seems to present it as new information, this thread is already proving its hardly ground-breaking.

This article does serve as good information to those who aren't already in-the-know.

If you want to tell off the author, here is the link:

[link to www.naturalnews.com]

Last Edited by Person445 on 01/27/2013 12:00 PM
Follow me on Twitter: @RussellScott202
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32663086
United States
01/27/2013 12:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the cutting edge news from that hippy health site. Maybe they should have checked the website, looked at the bottles, or just meditated their way back to 2004. [link to www.commondreams.org]
AtsuiPanda

User ID: 16510251
United States
01/27/2013 12:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
5* and pin
:/sdfhasdfshasd/:
Those who live by the sword die by the sword, those who don't live by the sword are subject to those who do.
Lada D

User ID: 20712268
United States
01/27/2013 12:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Newsflash:

Anything made by Coca Cola isn't going to be good for you, they are part of the depopulation program.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33065115
United States
01/27/2013 12:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
coke never denied it

all you had to do was read the label.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32895948
United States
01/27/2013 12:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yep, they are selling bottles of tap water out of the sink for $1.50.

Maybe I should start a purified tap water company!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33018911
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 12:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
When Coca-Cola produced Desani in the UK, the water came from a London water main. They filtered the water and added minerals back in. When tested it was found they added a carcinogen. Here is a clip from a UK national newspaper...

(Google Desani carcinogen for the full article)

Things get worse with Coke

Bottled tap water withdrawn after cancer scare

Felicity Lawrence, consumer affairs correspondent
The Guardia n, Saturday 20 March 2004 02.35 GMT

First, Coca-Cola's new brand of "pure" bottled water, Dasani, was revealed earlier this month to be tap water taken from the mains. Then it emerged that what the firm described as its "highly sophisticated purification process", based on Nasa spacecraft technology, was in fact reverse osmosis used in many modest domestic water purification units.

Yesterday, just when executives in charge of a £7m marketing push for the product must have felt it could get no worse, it did precisely that.

The entire UK supply of Dasani was pulled off the shelves because it has been contaminated with bromate, a cancer-causing chemical.

So now the full scale of Coke's PR disaster is clear. It goes something like this: take Thames Water from the tap in your factory in Sidcup, Kent; put it through a purification process, call it "pure" and give it a mark-up from 0.03p to 95p per half litre; in the process, add a batch of calcium chloride, containing bromide, for "taste profile"; then pump ozone through it, oxidising the bromide - which is not a problem - into bromate - which is. Finally, dispatch to the shops bottles of water containing up to twice the legal limit for bromate (10 micrograms per litre).

The Drinking Water Inspectorate confirmed yesterday it had checked the Thames water supplied to the factory and found it free of bromate. Because it is unsafe at high levels, standards for bromate in tap water are strictly monitored.

Bromide is a naturally occurring trace chemical which has a sedative effect. It is said to have been added by the British army to soldiers' tea during the second world war to dampen down their lust. But when it is oxidised into bromate it becomes "a pretty nasty carcinogen", according to David Drury, one of the principal inspectors for the DWI.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30981074
United States
01/27/2013 12:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Did someone actually think that the water was from Mars or something? The fucking label says "Purified Water". Learn to fucking read.
viking thunder

User ID: 32869629
United States
01/27/2013 12:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
if it is processed by reverse osmosis, then it is not any longer tap water.

They have not lied or anything. such processed water no longer has chlorine and fluoride in it, and thus, is more healthy than the tap water it originally was!
:Freedom Duck:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2164937
United States
01/27/2013 12:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Get my 5-stage filtered (RO, carbon, etc) water for 25 cents per gallon from dispenser outside Safeway. Water comes from a local deep well, high in nitrates, which are filtered out by RO. Use glass--not plastic--gallon jugs to carry.

By the way, plastic bottles leach chemicals into the water they hold, especially when they sit in the sun and get hot.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32663086
United States
01/27/2013 12:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
if it is processed by reverse osmosis, then it is not any longer tap water.

They have not lied or anything. such processed water no longer has chlorine and fluoride in it, and thus, is more healthy than the tap water it originally was!
 Quoting: viking thunder

Your still paying for tap water.
Lada D

User ID: 20712268
United States
01/27/2013 12:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank God the nice company that is trying to kill you didn't lie, and printed their shit right there on the bottle.

What a nice company Coca Cola is
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33018911
United Kingdom
01/27/2013 12:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Desani with added Bromide... a naturally occurring trace chemical which has a sedative effect.

Nothing to see here... move along!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33130885
United States
01/27/2013 12:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Smartwater and fiji are my favorites.
TyronJones

User ID: 20676524
United States
01/27/2013 12:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
I use my ebt to buy Deer Park. I noticed long ago buying that Dasani wasn't worth a shit. I thought everyone knew that. I must be smarter than most.
Mommas youngest getting paper like the oldest one.. We living better guess God felt he owed us one.

-------------------

i was born a sweet lil babi but them staven streets raized me up crazy

--------------------

I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday 22% Tuesday 26% Wednesday 35% Thursday 4% Friday
TyronJones

User ID: 20676524
United States
01/27/2013 12:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
I use my ebt to buy Deer Park. I noticed long ago buying that Dasani wasn't worth a shit. I thought everyone knew that. I must be smarter than most.
Mommas youngest getting paper like the oldest one.. We living better guess God felt he owed us one.

-------------------

i was born a sweet lil babi but them staven streets raized me up crazy

--------------------

I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday 22% Tuesday 26% Wednesday 35% Thursday 4% Friday
JUST HERE

User ID: 25610447
United States
01/27/2013 03:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
good catch person , 5 stars
:glp sign:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21416459
United States
01/27/2013 03:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
duh! where did people think it came from, go to poland springs in maine sometime, less than a mile from their plant is a trash dump.
Indian Elder
User ID: 13632800
United States
01/27/2013 03:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
True, literate people knew long ago Dasini is tap water long ago. But I still see people scooping it off the shelves by the armful. These people ought to just by a good filtering system as suggested above.
"Spring water" if it is truely spring water at least isnt filtered city tap water which DOESNT come from an underground source but is recycled tap water sometimes flushed through fifty toilets till it comes to your tap. It is NOT clean...just think alone how old are the lines running through miles of lines to your home...never cleaned, sliding through possible mold and slime built up for decades, even centuries under ground. And the unspeakable chemicals "they" want to be able to feed into the I.V. bag the force into your home.
I would never feed my grandkids tap water. I encourage short showers and not soaking in it also. WHY did most cities pour cement down in city wells so you couldnt use them ever anymore? Who is behind the advertising campaign to get rid of the bottles holding the good spring water.>? If the plastic bottles are so bad, why not ban 7-up and coca cola, etc, why JUST water!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21416459
United States
01/27/2013 03:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
i live near a facilty in mendon massachusetts called miscoe springs, it is water pulled from the ground and filtered and then bottled for cumberland fars and stop and shop, no big secret around here.
Kirk

User ID: 25384388
United States
01/27/2013 03:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Newsflash:

Anything made by Coca Cola isn't going to be good for you, they are part of the depopulation program.
 Quoting: Lada D

No coca cola in Saudi Arabia. Isn't that interesting?
Government is a body largely ungoverned.
Kirk

User ID: 25384388
United States
01/27/2013 03:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
True, literate people knew long ago Dasini is tap water long ago. But I still see people scooping it off the shelves by the armful. These people ought to just by a good filtering system as suggested above.
"Spring water" if it is truely spring water at least isnt filtered city tap water which DOESNT come from an underground source but is recycled tap water sometimes flushed through fifty toilets till it comes to your tap. It is NOT clean...just think alone how old are the lines running through miles of lines to your home...never cleaned, sliding through possible mold and slime built up for decades, even centuries under ground. And the unspeakable chemicals "they" want to be able to feed into the I.V. bag the force into your home.
I would never feed my grandkids tap water. I encourage short showers and not soaking in it also. WHY did most cities pour cement down in city wells so you couldnt use them ever anymore? Who is behind the advertising campaign to get rid of the bottles holding the good spring water.>? If the plastic bottles are so bad, why not ban 7-up and coca cola, etc, why JUST water!!
 Quoting: Indian Elder 13632800

you weren't supposed to notice that.
Government is a body largely ungoverned.

GLP