Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27531391
United States
02/03/2013 10:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Nicotine fights fear, anxiety, PTSD
You don't get addicted to nicotine...

you get addicted to the chemicals that are ADDED TO nicotine in the production of cigarettes...

If you grew and picked your own tobacco, and rolled your own cigarettes

you would get the benefits of nicotine without the addiction

I'm not a smoker by the way.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31903060
United Kingdom
02/03/2013 07:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
it's threads like these that have kept me coming back here over the years. nice work, glp.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29791602
Romania
07/23/2013 02:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tobacco smoking produces widespread dominant brain wave alpha frequency increases
After the subjects smoked a favorite tobacco cigarette there was a significant generalized increase in dominant alpha EEG frequencies in most scalp recording sites. This study demonstrates that tobacco smoking produces widespread bilateral neocortical increases in dominant alpha EEG frequencies consistent with the stimulant effects of nicotine on the brainstem reticular activating system.
[link to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Smoking tobacco has a similar effect with meditation in regarding the alpha brainwaves. Smoking prevents people to become mentally agitated and zombielike.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29791602
Romania
07/23/2013 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tobacco smoking produces widespread dominant brain wave alpha frequency increases
After the subjects smoked a favorite tobacco cigarette there was a significant generalized increase in dominant alpha EEG frequencies in most scalp recording sites. This study demonstrates that tobacco smoking produces widespread bilateral neocortical increases in dominant alpha EEG frequencies consistent with the stimulant effects of nicotine on the brainstem reticular activating system.

Smoking tobacco has a similar effect with meditation in regarding the alpha brainwaves. Smoking prevents people to become mentally agitated and zombielike.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29791602

In 1994, Foulds and colleagues[2] reported on a small study that compared the effects of subcutaneous nicotine injections versus placebo (saline) on EEG alpha brainwave frequency in non-smokers. Using a counter-balanced double-blind crossover experimental design, two 0.6 mg doses of nicotine or placebo were administered 40 min apart. These researchers found that the nicotine injection produced an increase in dominant alpha frequency compared with the saline-treated subjects. The researchers reported “The increase in dominant alpha frequency found in non-smokers in this study was similar to that following nicotine inhalation in abstinent smokers in previous studies, and suggests that this is a primary effect of nicotine.”

From this research it appears as though the stress reducing effects of smoking tobacco is primarily due to nicotine induced dominant alpha brainwaves.
[link to transcendentmind.com.au]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31677585
Romania
07/24/2013 10:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Indeed!

The first metabolite of nicotine, unimaginatively titled cotinine, was a prescription antidepressant until the 1960's.
 Quoting: pi

Thread: Cotinine fights depression, improves memory, thinking skills and prevents Alzheimer's
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 49060888
United States
11/05/2013 11:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Another Great Post !
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 51850430
United States
10/31/2015 02:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Smoking is not a virus but here they are talking about an anti-smoking vaccine:

Professor Ronald Crystal of Weill Cornell Medical College in New York said:
The new vaccine contains a harmless virus that has been engineered to carry the genetic information to make anti-nicotine antibodies.
[link to www.couriermail.com.au]

anti-nicotine antibodies??? It's unbelivable how low can get such whorified doctors!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33192384

The truth is that the anti-smoking vaccine targets VMAT2 gene, called the God gene.

Geneticist Dean Hamer has suggested that the VMAT2 gene correlates with spirituality using data from a smoking survey, which included questions intended to measure "self-transcendence". Hamer performed the spirituality study on the side, independently of the National Cancer Institute smoking study. His findings were published in the mass-market book The God Gene: How Faith Is Hard-Wired Into Our Genes.
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Pentagon Video from 4-13-2005: Flu Vaccine against religious behaviour by inhibiting VMAT2 gene
> [link to www.youtube.com]

They want to create godless sheeple devoid of any spirituality.

The proof that smoking upregulates VMAT2:

Mice were injected with nicotine free base 2mg/kg, sc, four times daily for 14 days and killed 12-72h after drug discontinuation. VMAT2 protein was increased in the striatum of nicotine-treated mice in a time-dependent fashion at all times studied. Furthermore, in situ hybridization studies demonstrated that VMAT2 mRNA was elevated in the substantia nigra pars compacta and ventral tegmental area, indicating enhanced gene expression and subsequent protein synthesis.
[link to europepmc.org]

It's so awesome that I decided to take some of my ptsd research to glp tonight and found this thread. I've been doing deep research on funvax, and this amazing info tied some things together. Wow. Thank you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 70502995
Ireland
10/31/2015 03:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
MDMA and it's cousins do it a billion times better and are non addictive.
zzcat

User ID: 16130403
United States
10/31/2015 10:37 PM

Report Abusive Post
The ensemble of studies to date suggest that under certain conditions nicotine can act as an anxiolytic and an antidepressant, but that following chronic use, adaptations to nicotine can occur resulting in increased anxiety and depression following withdrawal.

Psychiatric research has documented that enhanced noradrenergic postsynaptic responsiveness in the neuronal pathway (brain circuit) that originates in the locus coeruleus and end in the basolateral nucleus of the amygdala is a major factor in the pathophysiology of most stress-induced fear-circuitry disorders and especially in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The LC neurons are probably the origin of the first or second “leg” of the "PTSD circuit." An important 2005 study of deceased American army veterans from World War II, was shown combat-related PTSD to be associated with a postmortem diminished number of neurons in the locus coeruleus (LC) on the right side of the brain.
The locus coeruleus may figure in clinical depression, panic disorder, and anxiety.
The locus coeruleus is activated by stress, and will respond by increasing norepinephrine secretion, which in turn will alter cognitive function.
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Systematically administered nicotine in low doses increases the firing rate of rat locus coeruleus (LC) neurons. In the present study, this action of nicotine was found to be prevented by pretreatment with kynurenic acid (1 μmol; i.c.v.).
[link to www.sciencedirect.com]

Contrary to a widely accepted theory, increased activity of locus coeruleus (LC) neurons does not appear to potentiate anxiety; instead, the influence of LC activity may be opposite to this.

Previous electrophysiological experiments have shown that the marked but short-lasting excitation of locus coeruleus (LC) neurons seen after systemic administration of low doses of nicotine is of a peripheral origin. In addition, nicotine induces a weak but more long-lasting activation of LC neurons which is preferentially observed following administration of high doses of the drug.
[link to link.springer.com]
 Quoting: Mister Y 33140483

Helps with adhd too
zzcat

who says Schrodinger's cat is even in the box
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 70108859
United States
11/01/2015 01:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Cigarette smoking calms the nerves and gives you confidence
[link to www.youtube.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33187321

Until you lose your smokes.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 56745455
United States
11/01/2015 01:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
There might be something to this. I have PTSD from some pretty nasty things that happened to me during my childhood and as an adult. I chew nicotine gum and have noticed a marked decrease in PSTD symptoms for the past 3 1/2 years I've been chewing. It doesn't alleviate symptoms when I'm in periods of extreme stress but now that I think of it the nicotine helps! Figures, I quit smoking and now I'm addicted to the gum. My doctor says its still better than smoking.
 Quoting: He Is Risen Indeed

I quit smoking a long time ago. I started chewing nicotine gum a few months ago. It's incredible what it does for my brain. It's the best brain supplement I've ever taken.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 50823636
Germany
11/01/2015 01:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
There was also a recent study by a Medical University in the US (Carolina?- will see if I can find it) where the results showed nicotine improves memory.
They are now conducting studies with Altzheimer patients, with strong indications that the degenerative effects of the disease can be halted or slowed down, and in some cases reversed to some degree.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17743321

I've been chewing nicotine for several months. It's the best brainn suppplement I've ever used.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 70564492
United States
11/07/2015 08:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
MDMA and it's cousins do it a billion times better and are non addictive.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 70502995

I left my MDMA at the circus back in '76.

Can you please remind me of what it was so I can figure out why I may have had it in the first place?

GLP