Tennessee proposes welfare reform?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33272669
United States
01/29/2013 12:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Tennessee proposes welfare reform?
My sister teaches kindergarten in TN and some of the kids, every year without fail, talk about how school doesn't matter because they will get on SSI disability when they get older.

It's a culture there and even some of my extended family from there have "bad backs" and have been living a constant vacation for the last decade (with 4 children)

The worst thing about living there was seeing large groups of 20-30 year olds going out on ATVs/Hunting in the middle of the week because hey, they never have to work again and get like $5,000 on earned income credit for their kids every year to get a new ATV/$1000 gun.
Resister

User ID: 669410
United States
01/29/2013 12:25 PM

Report Abusive Post
How dare they attempt to set some sort of standards! It's like they want to promote an educated, productive, and civil society or something. Before long, people are going to be calling literacy a positive virtue or something.
rolleyes
"God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always, well informed... If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty... Let them take arms... What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. " - Thomas Jefferson in 1787
littlemiracles

User ID: 32798472
United States
01/29/2013 12:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
How dare they attempt to set some sort of standards! It's like they want to promote an educated, productive, and civil society or something. Before long, people are going to be calling literacy a positive virtue or something.
rolleyes
 Quoting: Resister

Lol!
littlemiracles

User ID: 32798472
United States
01/29/2013 12:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
rolleyes
 Quoting: Resister

Lol!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9440515
United States
01/29/2013 12:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Umm....so which part of welfare does this pretain too?? A check, food stamps, or medicaid? When would it start? Kindergarten? First Grade? If a kid doesn't pass...he doesn't eat? No doctor? Oh...wait...I know. If the parents can't pay the rent...because their check got cut...they can throw them out! Or better yet....let's just get them all jobs....we have so many available...I mean it's not like there isn't a thread her a day with folks rejoicing about the GREAT job they got. This is an absolute fail on so many levels it's laughable.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8728680
United States
01/29/2013 12:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Make em spooge in a cup

5a
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17527847
Japan
01/29/2013 12:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
How about welfare sows keep their legs closed and stop popping out bastard children they can't afford to raise themselves.
Ralph--a house dog

User ID: 25802009
United States
01/29/2013 01:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Years ago, there was a program called "Futures" in my state. It required that a person on welfare to be placed in a skills assessment program and - if neccessary, schooling or other professional training. The whole time the person's benefits would remain intact.

Then - when training was finished, the state would provide ssistance with job placement, getting clothes and uniforms for work and interviews, provide resume assistance and interview training.

Once placed in a job, the state kept the person's benefits, (ie, medical, foodstamps, etc.), in place and provided child care as well for up to two years or until the person was able to get the medical benefits through their job, and pay for daycare on their own, etc....

I thought that was a terrific program and should have helped so many people get back on their feet.....where did that program go?
 Quoting: Dried Up Hag

What a practical, effective way to give someone a boost up out of poverty! Sounds somewhat like the old federal Job Corps program, but this seems like it was better.

As for what happened to it, my guess is that it probably just made too much good sense so they scrapped it.
"Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night.....Rage, rage against the dying of the light"-----Dylan Thomas

HIS NAME IS SETH RICH

[link to biblicalselfdefense.com]

[link to forum.1111ers.blog]

Always remember that "for the greater good" will not include YOU.

"Who decides?"
---Robert A. Heinlein

-'Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.'—Benjamin Franklin

[link to www.westcoasttruth.com]

The only thing worth paying full retail for is pantyhose.

You cannot do all of the good the world needs, but the world needs all of the good you can do.
Ralph--a house dog

User ID: 25802009
United States
01/29/2013 01:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
"A Tennessee lawmaker is pushing a controversial new bill that would tie welfare benefits to students' performance in school."

"Republican state Sen. Stacey Campfield last week introduced the legislation, which calls for the state to cut welfare benefits to parents whose kids don't do well in class. Critics are already panning the proposal as unfair, and one that could hurt students in the end -- but Campfield is defending his idea, which he says would force parents to take a more active role in their children’s education."

“We’re not asking children to re-write the Magna Carta,” Campfield told FoxNews.com Monday. “A D-minus gets you through.”

[link to www.foxnews.com]

I live on the state boarding of Kentucky and Tennessee and heard this pop up on the radio on my way home from work

I wonder if it would play towards multi-child families
 Quoting: General Lee

This is what’s wrong with America today “ A D-minus gets you through” LOL My kids come home with a D-…. All hell is going to break loose
 Quoting: YaRight

rockon A D- might indicate that the kids they are targeting at least attended class and wrote something on a piece of paper once in a while. A faint smidgeon better than a flat out "F"; it would show some effort on their part.
"Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night.....Rage, rage against the dying of the light"-----Dylan Thomas

HIS NAME IS SETH RICH

[link to biblicalselfdefense.com]

[link to forum.1111ers.blog]

Always remember that "for the greater good" will not include YOU.

"Who decides?"
---Robert A. Heinlein

-'Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.'—Benjamin Franklin

[link to www.westcoasttruth.com]

The only thing worth paying full retail for is pantyhose.

You cannot do all of the good the world needs, but the world needs all of the good you can do.
Behcetssucks

User ID: 22618040
United States
01/29/2013 01:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wow, good find OP. My best friend works in WV as a teacher in Mingo Cty. She would support this if they would tie it to parent involvement, not grades. The parents won't come to meetings. Maybe if their check was tied to it they would!
sTTsTTT

User ID: 4852102
United States
01/29/2013 01:40 PM

Report Abusive Post
We need to fix the economy so that the mother can stay home while the men work. Our culture won't change (especially the welfare culture)until this comes back as a social norm. It's impossible for a mother working at Dollar General, and on food stamps with 3 kids to ensure their children are doing good in school.

Defects in family values and economic disparity must begin with a change in our economic standard that has failed 99% of us.

This is the same as limiting magazine rounds in guns. Politicians need to google "root cause analysis".
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33217568

True, in many ways for those who are in stable, traditional marriages, where there is a Mother and a Father raising their Children.

When there is only the Mother/Father tasking others to raise Children, working outside of the home full-time (even part-time) to provide basic needs, there is a disconnect.

I'm in my late-50s and watched first hand the dissolution of the traditional AND extended family base. Plus the rise of "welfare"...

Basic education: Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, American Civics, Home Economics and Home Repair. Starting in the primary grades and finishing in the secondary grades, learned skills building upon learned skills and reinforced through practical application. A grading system of Pass/Fail. It might actually work to the advantage of Parents, Children, and Society at Large.

Sen. Campfield has a valid point.
Apocalypse: All shall be revealed. And all shall be revealed.
All Human Beings are Human. Not all Humans are Human Beings.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33277370
United States
01/29/2013 01:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Years ago, there was a program called "Futures" in my state. It required that a person on welfare to be placed in a skills assessment program and - if neccessary, schooling or other professional training. The whole time the person's benefits would remain intact.

Then - when training was finished, the state would provide assistance with job placement, getting clothes and uniforms for work and interviews, provide resume assistance and interview training.

Once placed in a job, the state kept the person's benefits, (ie, medical, foodstamps, etc.), in place and provided child care as well for up to two years or until the person was able to get the medical benefits through their job, and pay for daycare on their own, etc....

I thought that was a terrific program and should have helped so many people get back on their feet.....where did that program go?
 Quoting: Dried Up Hag

Did it work?
MONSTER

User ID: 2122560
United States
01/29/2013 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well there should be some sort of improvement of life criteria to get welfare. As it stands now, the more you are a failure the more you get.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18681750

True, the more fatherless children and never having a job gets you free medical, free food, free rent and money in your pocket. Cut this program.
KINGDOMS, NATIONS AND KINGS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT DOWN TO THEIR KNEES WITH ONE GLANCE FROM A WOMAN.

I WEAR MY SKIN OF ARMOR SO NO ONE CAN GET IN AND NO ONE CAN GET OUT.

HOW CAN I MOURN YOU, WHEN I HAVE NEVER LET YOU GO, monster 1991-2008 RIP
Northman

User ID: 1130148
Puerto Rico
01/29/2013 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
In 1975 I got sick and couldn't work. We had 2 young kids and couldn't even get food stamps. Social services told us if wife filed for divorce or separation and I left home she could get AFDC. Wife worked for $1.50 an hour to support us.
Had surgery and got better. Got another job and things worked out. So you wonder why there are so many single mothers?
Frater

User ID: 1193197
United States
01/29/2013 02:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just end the damn welfare state.

Start the new, work for welfare state.

Now you have to go to work, 9-5 doing whatever, peeling potatoes or cleaning highways of garbage or dispensing food in schools. Something, anything but make it a 9-5 job and they HAVE to go like everyone else and they can be fired...

Don't end welfare, make them go to work for it.

I bet they will tend to look for a better job.

Frater
LVX!
OCD Chaos Theorist

User ID: 29524680
United States
01/29/2013 03:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
If the liberals were to even allow such a program to go through; it would be because they know it would likely lead to mass cases of child abuse which they could use against the conservatives to further their own agenda. They do, after all, know what kind of people are being targeted with the program. They created them.
I wish I had more time so I could do even less.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19098273
United States
01/29/2013 03:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is retarded.

& Drug testing them is a big waste of money.

Ask Florida.

[link to www.miamiherald.com]

How about providing access to jobs or job training?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19271799

OK. Canada. How exactly does the government give job training to morans with an IQ of 80? These people are unemployable given a million hours of training to be anything more than perhaps a toilet unclogger. And even then, they would be fired for their bad attitudes.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 30981074

OK...this one made me LOL!
...Thank God the Gobberment doesn't
get any ides from sites like this.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/29/2013 03:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
My sister teaches kindergarten in TN and some of the kids, every year without fail, talk about how school doesn't matter because they will get on SSI disability when they get older.

It's a culture there and even some of my extended family from there have "bad backs" and have been living a constant vacation for the last decade (with 4 children)

The worst thing about living there was seeing large groups of 20-30 year olds going out on ATVs/Hunting in the middle of the week because hey, they never have to work again and get like $5,000 on earned income credit for their kids every year to get a new ATV/$1000 gun.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33272669

This is life in a "red state" in fact most all red states are like this. This is the Republican Party.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/29/2013 03:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
300 dollars a person to find out 1 in every 30,000 people test positive for illegal drugs so that the politician who bought a urine and blood testing company can make more money that is all that is our Florida Governor already did that.
 Quoting: TheMacaroni

may I add to your post.... The law makers that pass these drug test laws would fail the test themselves. Why demand drug test for poor people and not demand it for the politicians? Seems like a pretty important job with some really good Government handout benefits to those who have those jobs and then they not get tested.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13076957
United States
01/29/2013 03:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a radical concept. Let's split up our welfare.

Those who paid into the system and have fallen on hard times. They paid into it. Let's not hassle them too much. Same with the elderly. Leave them alone.

This was an insurance plan that was forced up us. Last I checked, if I don't pay my car insurance and wreck my car, the insurance company won't pay to have it fixed.

But, we are talking about human beings and children. So....

Those who have not paid into the system, they get 2 years. That's it. In those 2 years, they are required to take life survival classes and keep some kind of job. Required to show up and participate in order to continue receiving benefits.

Instead of EBT or foodstamps. In large areas, have a place they can either go and eat or get something like meals on wheels. That way children will get to eat.

It's nice to dream about it, but I don't think it will ever happen.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 982923
United States
01/29/2013 03:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
My God welfare really?I say if you can live on welfare more power to ya.You do realize welfare helps people who are dying handicapped and live with other dysfunctions.Why are you people so brain dead to believe recycled and taxed again money hinders you or the economy in any way.Any money the people can get back from big corporate Government is a good thing.You guys got your butts handed to you on and after 9-11 and its still going on and your worried about about homeless or near homeless family that may or may not have smoked pot?How about returning all the stolen money from social security that workers invested in first.Dear God my plate is full could you please make sure everyone else has their plate smashed.

Personally, I am not worried about a homeless family that smokes pot. What bothers me are families that spend their welfare dollars on buying pot, meth, crack, alcohol etc instead of sheltering or feeding their children.
 Quoting: littlemiracles

Or the ones purposely popping babies out so they can get more money, not caring how their little asset does in school, while they sit around screwing and not bothering looking for a job.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16213727
United States
01/29/2013 04:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
300 dollars a person to find out 1 in every 30,000 people test positive for illegal drugs so that the politician who bought a urine and blood testing company can make more money that is all that is our Florida Governor already did that.

may I add to your post.... The law makers that pass these drug test laws would fail the test themselves. Why demand drug test for poor people and not demand it for the politicians? Seems like a pretty important job with some really good Government handout benefits to those who have those jobs and then they not get tested.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19098273

In general, why the F should I be drug tested TO WORK (and collect a check) and they can't be drug tested to NOT WORK (and collect a check)?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 982923
United States
01/29/2013 04:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

Those who paid into the system and have fallen on hard times. They paid into it. Let's not hassle them too much. Same with the elderly. Leave them alone.

This was an insurance plan that was forced up us. Last I checked, if I don't pay my car insurance and wreck my car, the insurance company won't pay to have it fixed.

Those who have not paid into the system, they get 2 years. That's it. In those 2 years, they are required to take life survival classes and keep some kind of job. Required to show up and participate in order to continue receiving benefits.

Instead of EBT or foodstamps. In large areas, have a place they can either go and eat or get something like meals on wheels. That way children will get to eat.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13076957

And if they won't get a job after two years, put their children in an orphanage where they still get fed and cared for and cut the lazy ass parents off from any benefits.
Dr. Lecter

User ID: 24275310
United States
01/29/2013 05:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Actually, the cost of testing is no where near what it was a couple of years ago.

You can now run a full-spectrum drug analysis on a person for about $6-7 dollars.
"Moral of the story is I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again.

==== ESTJ-a (Executive) 93% Extroverted, 82% Observant, 83% Thinking, 82% Judging,72% Assertive ====
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33288026
United States
01/29/2013 05:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Umm....so which part of welfare does this pretain too?? A check, food stamps, or medicaid? When would it start? Kindergarten? First Grade? If a kid doesn't pass...he doesn't eat? No doctor? Oh...wait...I know. If the parents can't pay the rent...because their check got cut...they can throw them out! Or better yet....let's just get them all jobs....we have so many available...I mean it's not like there isn't a thread her a day with folks rejoicing about the GREAT job they got. This is an absolute fail on so many levels it's laughable.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9440515

it will only affect cash assistance. it will not, i repeat will not affect foodstamps or medicaid or housing assistance.
oO
User ID: 33257899
Aruba
01/29/2013 05:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well there should be some sort of improvement of life criteria to get welfare. As it stands now, the more you are a failure the more you get.

Agreed...drug test them too.

Yea ..perscription drugs by big pharma and alcohol is ok...but if you dare to go outside the tax collectors like a good ol joint or other illegal stuff you loose everything...that makes sense...turd

FUCK YOU ..SHILL

peace
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25647766
United States
01/29/2013 05:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's been shown to cost more than it saves, repeatedly, also its been shot down by federal judges repeatedly. Same reason the feds don't test their employees, amendment 4 unreasonable search and seizure
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/29/2013 05:08 PM
Report Abusive Post

Yea ..perscription drugs by big pharma and alcohol is ok...but if you dare to go outside the tax collectors like a good ol joint or other illegal stuff you loose everything...that makes sense...turd

FUCK YOU ..SHILL

peace
 Quoting: oO 33257899

Yeah, completely agree, I don't take prescription drugs except painkillers and thats only if the pain is unbearable Don't trust big pharma more than u can throw em, which is none
oO
User ID: 33257899
Aruba
01/29/2013 05:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just end the damn welfare state.

Start the new, work for welfare state.

Now you have to go to work, 9-5 doing whatever, peeling potatoes or cleaning highways of garbage or dispensing food in schools. Something, anything but make it a 9-5 job and they HAVE to go like everyone else and they can be fired...

Don't end welfare, make them go to work for it.

I bet they will tend to look for a better job.

Frater
 Quoting: Frater

Best thing i ve read regarding welfare states ever +1

Peace
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/29/2013 05:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13076957

And if they won't get a job after two years, put their children in an orphanage where they still get fed and cared for and cut the lazy ass parents off from any benefits.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 982923

Yep cuz poor people aren't allowed to have children, they are good for one thing, to be eaten....

GLP