Tennessee proposes welfare reform?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25647766
United States
01/29/2013 05:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Tennessee proposes welfare reform?
300 dollars a person to find out 1 in every 30,000 people test positive for illegal drugs so that the politician who bought a urine and blood testing company can make more money that is all that is our Florida Governor already did that.
 Quoting: TheMacaroni

may I add to your post.... The law makers that pass these drug test laws would fail the test themselves. Why demand drug test for poor people and not demand it for the politicians? Seems like a pretty important job with some really good Government handout benefits to those who have those jobs and then they not get tested.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19098273

In general, why the F should I be drug tested TO WORK (and collect a check) and they can't be drug tested to NOT WORK (and collect a check)?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16213727

You're right, you shouldn't be drug tested to work, what you do on your time is your business...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25647766
United States
01/29/2013 05:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
How dare they attempt to set some sort of standards! It's like they want to promote an educated, productive, and civil society or something. Before long, people are going to be calling literacy a positive virtue or something.
rolleyes
 Quoting: Resister

Lol!
 Quoting: littlemiracles

What would be funny is if this government actually wanted to promote any of the stuff you said....that would seriously be a shocker....
INK3

User ID: 32799939
United States
01/29/2013 05:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is a program in my state, Private Industry Council. You can get free training and the gov will pay for it. They look for areas of growth, and pay for your training. It's a great program, but has its abuses as well. For instance, there were a few people I met in training, who had NO intention of getting a job, and just went from one training program to another in order to keep their welfare and food stamp benefits, and not have to pay back their student loans.

People will play the system until they ruin it for those who actually do what they're supposed to do.
"When tyrants tremble in their fear, and hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near, how can I keep from singing"

page7
littlemiracles

User ID: 32798472
United States
01/29/2013 05:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well there should be some sort of improvement of life criteria to get welfare. As it stands now, the more you are a failure the more you get.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18681750

Agreed...drug test them too.

Yea ..perscription drugs by big pharma and alcohol is ok...but if you dare to go outside the tax collectors like a good ol joint or other illegal stuff you loose everything...that makes sense...turd

FUCK YOU ..SHILL

peace
 Quoting: oO 33257899

Shill...
No ...
taxpayer here, who sees where the assistance money goes...and it's not to feed their kids or themselves. Not all, but enough using the funds for drugs and alcohol.

My guess is Aruba doesn't qualify you to form opinions about Tennessee culture...

Last Edited by littlemiracles on 01/29/2013 05:28 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33057973
United States
01/29/2013 05:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tie the funding to each child attending school. If the children skip school, the parent loses their entire welfare until the child attends school. And of course those who will say why punish the entire family for one child. I say tough shit. Remember what a blanket party is-- that kid will learn. That is what a family unit is supposed to do-- keep the family together not dysfunctional
Dried Up Hag

User ID: 1443836
United States
01/29/2013 05:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Years ago, there was a program called "Futures" in my state. It required that a person on welfare to be placed in a skills assessment program and - if neccessary, schooling or other professional training. The whole time the person's benefits would remain intact.

Then - when training was finished, the state would provide assistance with job placement, getting clothes and uniforms for work and interviews, provide resume assistance and interview training.

Once placed in a job, the state kept the person's benefits, (ie, medical, foodstamps, etc.), in place and provided child care as well for up to two years or until the person was able to get the medical benefits through their job, and pay for daycare on their own, etc....

I thought that was a terrific program and should have helped so many people get back on their feet.....where did that program go?
 Quoting: Dried Up Hag

Did it work?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33277370

It did for me and my family.....I knew I could not make much more than minimum wage....had a little one and a husband who couldn't work. They were willing to pay for me to get an associates degree, but I needed something that would get me off of welfare quicker, so they fast-tracked me in a business college and I got an accounting diploma after 9 months......got my first job before I even completed the program.....was completely off of welfare by the end of the first year of my full-time job....

It was a God-send.

Oh - and, by the way....by the end of the second year, I was a homeowner, had a nice car and was putting my child through private school.....so - yeah....for me, the program was a blessing!!!!

Last Edited by Dried Up Hag on 01/29/2013 05:37 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26194713
United States
01/29/2013 05:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is a program in my state, Private Industry Council. You can get free training and the gov will pay for it. They look for areas of growth, and pay for your training. It's a great program, but has its abuses as well. For instance, there were a few people I met in training, who had NO intention of getting a job, and just went from one training program to another in order to keep their welfare and food stamp benefits, and not have to pay back their student loans.

People will play the system until they ruin it for those who actually do what they're supposed to do.
 Quoting: INK3

You're right, I've seen this too. It happens in EVERY state, so multiply what you're seeing by 50 and imagine all the money wasted on those people that are "playing the game."

I, for one, am SICK of paying for that $**t!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33220993
United States
01/29/2013 05:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
What I see is a bunch of dead teachers because they were "responsible" for the welfare family losing their welfare check.
sTTsTTT

User ID: 4852102
United States
01/29/2013 05:55 PM

Report Abusive Post
Years ago, there was a program called "Futures" in my state. It required that a person on welfare to be placed in a skills assessment program and - if neccessary, schooling or other professional training. The whole time the person's benefits would remain intact.

Then - when training was finished, the state would provide assistance with job placement, getting clothes and uniforms for work and interviews, provide resume assistance and interview training.

Once placed in a job, the state kept the person's benefits, (ie, medical, foodstamps, etc.), in place and provided child care as well for up to two years or until the person was able to get the medical benefits through their job, and pay for daycare on their own, etc....

I thought that was a terrific program and should have helped so many people get back on their feet.....where did that program go?

Did it work?

It did for me and my family.....I knew I could not make much more than minimum wage....had a little one and a husband who couldn't work. They were willing to pay for me to get an associates degree, but I needed something that would get me off of welfare quicker, so they fast-tracked me in a business college and I got an accounting diploma after 9 months......got my first job before I even completed the program.....was completely off of welfare by the end of the first year of my full-time job....

It was a God-send.

Oh - and, by the way....by the end of the second year, I was a homeowner, had a nice car and was putting my child through private school.....so - yeah....for me, the program was a blessing!!!!

WooHoo, Madame! This is one of the most positive posts *\0/*

I personally knew several women who participated in the "Alexandria Works" welfare-to-work program in Alexandria, Va. They ALL said how it was the first time they felt good about themselves. Felt a sense of accomplishment in not being on welfare.

If memory serves me correctly, there were factions who lobbied that the w2w program was discriminatory toward the women on welfare...forcing them to work for their assistance. A modern form of slavery. Sad they lobbied successfully and the program was phased out.
Apocalypse: All shall be revealed. And all shall be revealed.
All Human Beings are Human. Not all Humans are Human Beings.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9380226
United States
01/29/2013 05:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
"A Tennessee lawmaker is pushing a controversial new bill that would tie welfare benefits to students' performance in school."

"Republican state Sen. Stacey Campfield last week introduced the legislation, which calls for the state to cut welfare benefits to parents whose kids don't do well in class. Critics are already panning the proposal as unfair, and one that could hurt students in the end -- but Campfield is defending his idea, which he says would force parents to take a more active role in their children’s education."

“We’re not asking children to re-write the Magna Carta,” Campfield told FoxNews.com Monday. “A D-minus gets you through.”

[link to www.foxnews.com]

I live on the state boarding of Kentucky and Tennessee and heard this pop up on the radio on my way home from work

I wonder if it would play towards multi-child families
 Quoting: General Lee

Are you serious? The world is close to a finacial collapse and you're questioning welfare reform? Maybe start with a two parent family where one must work or voluneer and parent and the other has to at least parent and house/life manage.
Dried Up Hag

United States
01/29/2013 06:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Did it work?

It was a God-send.

I personally knew several women who participated in the "Alexandria Works" welfare-to-work program in Alexandria, Va. They ALL said how it was the first time they felt good about themselves. Felt a sense of accomplishment in not being on welfare.

If memory serves me correctly, there were factions who lobbied that the w2w program was discriminatory toward the women on welfare...forcing them to work for their assistance. A modern form of slavery. Sad they lobbied successfully and the program was phased out.
 Quoting: sTTsTTT

Being on welfare, for me, was an extremely humiliating experience......I'd worked all my life, just about. From the time I was 12 yrs. old, I'd been making money....

So - my stint on welfare was only for a year or so....but it was one of the worst years of my life, in a lot of ways.

About five years later, I hit another BIG financial bump.....I got two more jobs, (on top of my full-time one), to keep afloat...just to stay off the state dole.....Luckily, my other two jobs allowed me to bring my child with me.......
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9380226
United States
01/29/2013 06:03 PM
Report Abusive Post

Did it work?

It was a God-send.

No one wants to live in a powerless dependent state. Watch out for those whose actions assist in powerlessness and dependency. Personal power as above overcomes; you don't need anyone or anything else. Tony Robbins made a career out of speaking on the same subject.
*HAARP Lady*

User ID: 30590548
United States
01/29/2013 06:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
My God welfare really?I say if you can live on welfare more power to ya.You do realize welfare helps people who are dying handicapped and live with other dysfunctions.Why are you people so brain dead to believe recycled and taxed again money hinders you or the economy in any way.Any money the people can get back from big corporate Government is a good thing.You guys got your butts handed to you on and after 9-11 and its still going on and your worried about about homeless or near homeless family that may or may not have smoked pot?How about returning all the stolen money from social security that workers invested in first.Dear God my plate is full could you please make sure everyone else has their plate smashed.
 Quoting: TheMacaroni

Personally, I am not worried about a homeless family that smokes pot. What bothers me are families that spend their welfare dollars on buying pot, meth, crack, alcohol etc instead of sheltering or feeding their children.

I personally AM worried about the homeless family that smokes pot! Because what are those kids going to do? They will "ape" their parents - and then THEY will become the "homeless" statistic - very rarely does a child raised in this type of environment break out of the "norm."

For the person above you... You know, that really ticks me off! One because I have a small business that makes about $50,000.00 a year (which goes right back into employment as I'm the sole employee) and guess what my taxes are? 30%!!! Just my business - my personal taxes at 15% - so 45% of what I earn goes back to "Big Daddy Government" only to be dispersed to many people who CAN work but want to LIVE off the gov't! I have medical problems, but I still work - I have physical challenges, but I still work! It all boils down to "we do what we want to do" and about 40 to 50% of those on welfare shouldn't be there! Believe me, 25 years ago I had to go on food stamps to have food in my house - but that was until I found a job - i don't care if you work at McDonalds - at least you have a job and can have some self - respect! So you are dang straight that I get upset when I hear about welfare people on drugs!

And you know what? Those who have Big Businesses and make a lot of money? They started out small and worked their way up (Like Walgreens or Walmart) Don't dis someone and want the gov't to take more from them because they had a dream and fulfilled it! That's idiotic!

Okay I'm done.

~ Haarpy

rant
Don't get mad - Get a Pepsi!
memememe
User ID: 2309065
United States
01/29/2013 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
So if you have stupid kids you get no money. Makes no sense at all. If the rich are not penalized for stupid kids than either should the poor. I know some here will disagree because some elitist snobs lurk here but screw you. I say if your kid is failing give them a tutor and send them to a private school. The same thing the rich have.
sTTsTTT

United States
01/29/2013 06:32 PM

Report Abusive Post
Dried up Hag, you are one of the very rare people who NEEDED the assistance as it was designed. Welfare was originally designed & implemented for short-term mediation. To assist people during a "crisis".

When my children were very young, I needed help, too. LOL, minimum wage was somewhere around $1.80/hour and my husband was making $2.00/hour. (This was during the oil embargo & prices of everything sky rocketed.) We received WIC which really helped. Then I switched to SHARE which was a NGO co-op. Felt so relieved being able to "work" and be a contributing member of the co-op.

Nowadays it seems as if many welfare recipients consider it their "work" and their "paycheck". And their children are approaching it the same way.

Wish there really was a way to "break the chains" and "liberate their minds". Maybe tieing long-term recipients families to school productivity is an alternative.
memememe
User ID: 2309065
United States
01/29/2013 06:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Did the working while collecting benefits. Not for long because was not getting help that long. they had me do the same work highway dept workers do except they decided my efforts were worth minimum wage and regular employees was worth double that. learned no special skills. That makes it a slave program in my book.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33262797
United States
01/29/2013 06:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
My sister teaches kindergarten in TN and some of the kids, every year without fail, talk about how school doesn't matter because they will get on SSI disability when they get older.

It's a culture there and even some of my extended family from there have "bad backs" and have been living a constant vacation for the last decade (with 4 children)

The worst thing about living there was seeing large groups of 20-30 year olds going out on ATVs/Hunting in the middle of the week because hey, they never have to work again and get like $5,000 on earned income credit for their kids every year to get a new ATV/$1000 gun.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33272669

Yes, and then they ride on those obnoxious things every weekend while I toil away. It is very, very frustrating to work hard and watch others not work and do better than you do, although, I will say that most whites round here on 'the dole' don't seem to be doing near as well as the blacks from the town I just moved from.
Have ya'll ever heard of the BLUE checK? The parents get their kids to act up in school like they are crazy, so they can get the BLUE check, more money in the pockets for the 'special' kid. Seriously, I know some 'professionals' who have to dole it out to them.
Dried Up Hag

United States
01/29/2013 06:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Dried up Hag, you are one of the very rare people who NEEDED the assistance as it was designed. Welfare was originally designed & implemented for short-term mediation. To assist people during a "crisis".

When my children were very young, I needed help, too. LOL, minimum wage was somewhere around $1.80/hour and my husband was making $2.00/hour. (This was during the oil embargo & prices of everything sky rocketed.) We received WIC which really helped. Then I switched to SHARE which was a NGO co-op. Felt so relieved being able to "work" and be a contributing member of the co-op.

Nowadays it seems as if many welfare recipients consider it their "work" and their "paycheck". And their children are approaching it the same way.

Wish there really was a way to "break the chains" and "liberate their minds". Maybe tieing long-term recipients families to school productivity is an alternative.

I'm not sure WHAT the answer is.......I once used to work at a food pantry.....a block away from housing projects. Every month, after we got the USDA commodities delivered, people from the projects would be lined up down the street to get their food....

Then one day, a little boy showed up at my door and said that his grandma had gotten a box of cakemix from the pantry the previous day and she had sent him down to ask me if I could find a can of frosting to go with it.

This kid was like 7 or 8 years old....
SevenThunders

User ID: 15851599
United States
01/29/2013 06:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's some welfare reform for ya. You get $1 an hour to clean latrines, remove graffiti and plant gardens to clean up your POS neighborhoods.

Welfare roles would drop and our cities would clean up some. Any psycho-lib. who can't understand the merit of this should be deported to someplace more ideologically suitable to them, like North Korea.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible
Dried Up Hag

United States
01/29/2013 07:04 PM
Report Abusive Post

BTW, sTTsTTT....what is a NGO co-op?
fatrat007

User ID: 5643091
United States
01/29/2013 07:12 PM

Report Abusive Post
My sister teaches kindergarten in TN and some of the kids, every year without fail, talk about how school doesn't matter because they will get on SSI disability when they get older.

It's a culture there and even some of my extended family from there have "bad backs" and have been living a constant vacation for the last decade (with 4 children)

The worst thing about living there was seeing large groups of 20-30 year olds going out on ATVs/Hunting in the middle of the week because hey, they never have to work again and get like $5,000 on earned income credit for their kids every year to get a new ATV/$1000 gun.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33272669

Yes, and then they ride on those obnoxious things every weekend while I toil away. It is very, very frustrating to work hard and watch others not work and do better than you do, although, I will say that most whites round here on 'the dole' don't seem to be doing near as well as the blacks from the town I just moved from.
Have ya'll ever heard of the BLUE checK? The parents get their kids to act up in school like they are crazy, so they can get the BLUE check, more money in the pockets for the 'special' kid. Seriously, I know some 'professionals' who have to dole it out to them.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33262797

Someone has to be working in those families that's why it's called earned income credit.
SmellslikeDrama

User ID: 1267719
United States
01/29/2013 07:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well there should be some sort of improvement of life criteria to get welfare. As it stands now, the more you are a failure the more you get.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18681750

Agreed...drug test them too.

If drug testing were to be required, then I, a Taxpaying citizen who does smoke pot, shall be able to refuse funding this program.

If I am getting taxed for a program that I can never use because I smoke the herb, then it would be taxation w/o representation to me, and that would be tyranny/illegal.

Besides, just to force an income from people and then turn around to say "you gotta take a drug test for that" makes it very unfair to us that have funded this shit for years, don't you think?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32915728

ok , how about requiring social workers to do random home welfare checks.

With stiff requirements for the home , if you are on welfare.

Either way drug test or home welfare checks will be a requirement of the contract of being on welfare.

If you never make a deal with the state , because you want free shit , then you wont have to worry about either.
SmellslikeDrama

United States
01/29/2013 07:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
welfare is not a program . It is a contract that the party receiving the welfare must honor.The state needs stipulation to the deal.Otherwise its a waste of money.

Welfare runs out every so often when the contract is up . Thus any new requirements to a contract can be made.

That's why people sign the papers to receive welfare.

On renewal of service you either agree to the terms or go home crying.

Last Edited by <x> on 01/29/2013 07:25 PM
bkw

User ID: 27768994
United States
01/29/2013 07:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think they should pay for up to 3 children only unless it is a multiple birth.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25567776
United States
01/29/2013 07:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
So if you have stupid kids you get no money. Makes no sense at all. If the rich are not penalized for stupid kids than either should the poor. I know some here will disagree because some elitist snobs lurk here but screw you. I say if your kid is failing give them a tutor and send them to a private school. The same thing the rich have.
 Quoting: memememe 2309065

what if they have autism,what about that?
littlemiracles

United States
01/29/2013 07:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
welfare is not a program . It is a contract that the party receiving the welfare must honor.The state needs stipulation to the deal.Otherwise its a waste of money.

Welfare runs out every so often when the contract is up . Thus any new requirements to a contract can be made.

That's why people sign the papers to receive welfare.

On renewal of service you either agree to the terms or go home crying.
 Quoting: SmellslikeDrama

Good point...
SmellslikeDrama

United States
01/29/2013 07:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think they should pay for up to 3 children only unless it is a multiple birth.
 Quoting: bkw

I say once is enough for them to know they cant afford them.
littlemiracles

United States
01/29/2013 07:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'd like to know who posted this in my Karma...

1/29/2013 Un-American. Get out of my country!

Get balls and tell me who you are and why?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25567776
United States
01/29/2013 07:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: bkw

I say once is enough for them to know they cant afford them.
 Quoting: SmellslikeDrama

whay if they were middle class but fell on hard times?
sTTsTTT

United States
01/29/2013 07:42 PM

Report Abusive Post
Dried up Hag, NGO is Non-Government Organisation, a nonprofit or a charity org.

I didn't mean to laugh, but your "frosting experience" was priceless. If there was confectioners sugar and butter or margarine in the commodities box...well there's the frosting!

Sigh, this does tie in to education. Home Economics courses would have provided the woman with basic skill sets. She would have learned how to prepare a cake from flour, sugar, butter, eggs at least.

The saddest thing is, many people on welfare are not "stupid". They know exactly what they are doing and glorify themselves as deserving, castigating & denigrating the people who support them.

GLP