Is gambling a sin?

ººEATºº

User ID: 31221408
Canada
01/29/2013 05:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Is gambling a sin?
Every type of gambling is sinful, except the nickle slot machines. Nickle slot machines are exempt from being sinful. So... knock yourself out!
Baby needs a new pair of shoes!
 Quoting: ººEATºº

LOL!! I love nickle slots. I once won about 190.00 dollars on them. Had a great time, took my husband and son out to dinner, we had a blast.
 Quoting: INK3

I like nickle slots too. I hit the jackpot twice on my machine one night. The jackpot was 1,000 nickles. 50 bucks.
In the end it doesn't even matter...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1106916
United States
01/29/2013 05:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
-1 Tim 6:10

But does this mean gambling is inherently wrong, or is it the greed and lust for power/winning that overcomes our mind, thus creating sin..but is gambling in itself sinful?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1747431

Yes to the bolded part above. If you put it before God and the people you love, then it becomes a problem.

If you just enjoy playing the lotto once in a while, and it does not cause a problem for you or anyone else, then that's not a big deal as far as I can see.

It's the heart condition.......and motivations of the heart.

Sometimes I daydream about winning the lotto and I think of all the people I could help. I'm not a money driven person myself, but it's fun to think of all the people I could help if I ever won. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if I daydreamed about all the things I could buy myself if I won the lotto because I loved money and loved material things, and self serving greed was the sole motivation, then that would be a problem.

See the difference? It's all about what's in the heart of a person.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26548545
United States
01/29/2013 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Gambling isn't a sin, but it is stupid.
 Quoting: INK3

wrong, smart and stupid people lose everything, its smart to never gamble in first place, its an addiction, a powerful one that leads to sin, addicts chasing a high, one last hand, how many thousands or millions lost everything, they are not all stupid, thats too easy an answer for a complicated subject
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 1747431
United States
01/29/2013 05:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

But does this mean gambling is inherently wrong, or is it the greed and lust for power/winning that overcomes our mind, thus creating sin..but is gambling in itself sinful?

Yes to the bolded part above. If you put it before God and the people you love, then it becomes a problem.

If you just enjoy playing the lotto once in a while, and it does not cause a problem for you or anyone else, then that's not a big deal as far as I can see.

Sometimes I daydream about winning the lotto and I think of all the people I could help. I'm not a money driven person myself, but it's fun to think of all the people I could help if I ever won. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if I daydreamed about all the things I could buy myself if I won the lotto because I loved money and loved material things, and self serving greed was the sole motivation, then that would be a problem.

Quoting: Lisa*Lisa

so if prayed to make money to fund a good film project for a friend who i would love to see succeed i should go forth with this?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1106916
United States
01/29/2013 06:09 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Lisa*Lisa

so if prayed to make money to fund a good film project for a friend who i would love to see succeed i should go forth with this?

I don't know OP, that's between you and God. Why not ask Him yourself? Pray about it, let the Holy Spirit lead you in the right direction.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29232331
United States
01/29/2013 06:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
We're instructed in the Bible to be good stewards of God's gifts. If we're gambling away money that could be better served by helping the needy, we're sinning.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33269271
United States
01/29/2013 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey OP,I will bet you 50 dollars that you can't fit my entire dick all the way into your mouth..

GLP