Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4421057
United States
01/29/2013 05:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Restless Leg! need help!
Hi all.

I was a one time pill user, who despite my better judgment, found myself abusing them after having them prescribed. I've been on and off for so many years, but even month off, I get one of the worst cases of RLS.. it's truly painful. sometime a while back, it moved from just the one leg into the arm on the same side of my body. I've had rls for quite a while and tried everything, from heat to vitamins, to exercise, to cold compress, to stretching to yoga, but still nothing that helps except drugs like vicoden, or anything similar that works in the same way. I do not have health insurance, no offered through my job, and can't afford it.
Is there anything that anyone knows about to fix this? I've been off of drugs for so long that I don't want to be back on them, but given the pain at night, I don't see much option. Thanks for your replies!
Howling mad murdoch

User ID: 32758261
United Kingdom
01/29/2013 05:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Restless Leg! need help!
Hi all.

I was a one time pill user, who despite my better judgment, found myself abusing them after having them prescribed. I've been on and off for so many years, but even month off, I get one of the worst cases of RLS.. it's truly painful. sometime a while back, it moved from just the one leg into the arm on the same side of my body. I've had rls for quite a while and tried everything, from heat to vitamins, to exercise, to cold compress, to stretching to yoga, but still nothing that helps except drugs like vicoden, or anything similar that works in the same way. I do not have health insurance, no offered through my job, and can't afford it.
Is there anything that anyone knows about to fix this? I've been off of drugs for so long that I don't want to be back on them, but given the pain at night, I don't see much option. Thanks for your replies!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4421057

Get a tense machine or drink loads
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

MURDOCH
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/29/2013 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Huh?
Drink loads? Yeah, I've heard the masturbation thing but it only helps for someone who has a mild case.. and even then only for like ten minutes.
Howling mad murdoch

User ID: 32758261
United Kingdom
01/29/2013 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi all.

Here the wiki [link to en.wikipedia.org]
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

MURDOCH
A Friend

User ID: 2327631
United States
01/29/2013 05:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Marijuana
But Lord, he stinketh!

:fnecsm:

"When the sky crackles in an electric dance of a beautiful requiem of lapis lazuli, maybe you will remember..." ~ Anonymous Coward 77360040
INK3

User ID: 32799939
United States
01/29/2013 05:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've had restless leg syndrome and what worked for me (even though it sounds bizarre), was putting a bar or two of soap, under the fitted sheet, near my feet and legs. I don't know why it worked (could have been just the placebo effect), but it did work. Good luck, it is not a fun thing to have.
"When tyrants tremble in their fear, and hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near, how can I keep from singing"

page7
Lazurus

User ID: 24871474
United States
01/29/2013 05:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've had restless leg syndrome and what worked for me (even though it sounds bizarre), was putting a bar or two of soap, under the fitted sheet, near my feet and legs. I don't know why it worked (could have been just the placebo effect), but it did work. Good luck, it is not a fun thing to have.
 Quoting: INK3

You are quite right! A bar of soap really works! I am not sure how but it does work. I am thinking it somehow disrupts electricity.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4545733
United States
01/29/2013 05:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: INK3

This^^^^^

I had a pharmacist tell me this same thing years ago. Try it......it does work.

littlemiracles

User ID: 32798472
United States
01/29/2013 05:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Huh?
Drink loads? Yeah, I've heard the masturbation thing but it only helps for someone who has a mild case.. and even then only for like ten minutes.

Only thing that ever works for me...master. And mirapex.
Alcohol can make it worse.
I feel for you...really messes with my lifehf
MONSTER

User ID: 2122560
United States
01/29/2013 06:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
I get them at times, seems when I take an herbal vitamin or sometimes a Tylenol, It wakes me up. I used to just rub them but it didnt help so the last several times I sprayed that hot and cold stuff for sore muscles, seemed to help
KINGDOMS, NATIONS AND KINGS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT DOWN TO THEIR KNEES WITH ONE GLANCE FROM A WOMAN.

I WEAR MY SKIN OF ARMOR SO NO ONE CAN GET IN AND NO ONE CAN GET OUT.

HOW CAN I MOURN YOU, WHEN I HAVE NEVER LET YOU GO, monster 1991-2008 RIP
Fading Lights

User ID: 23427078
United States
01/29/2013 06:02 PM

Report Abusive Post
Mucuna Pruirens supplement. Check it out. Positive results on testing on Parkinson's patients, and works for restless leg syndrome.
Nous sommes du soleil. -- We are of the sun.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27268664
United States
01/29/2013 06:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Start jogging.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33142937
Canada
Report Abusive Post
Hi all.

Ive been struggling with this for a week now since quitting heroin once again. Only thing that slightly helped was potassium for me and a lot of water.
Lilac.Nights

User ID: 7945782
United States
Report Abusive Post
Warm Bath and take MAGNESIUM!
Good quality magnesium at bedtime.
Or use magnesium oil, even better.
Among the most common causes of RLS is a magnesium deficiency.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27760252
United States
01/29/2013 06:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi all.

Sciatic...find a damn good massage therapist. Be warned. I had an experience that sent me off the table and on my hands and knees and into shock breathing. Took a couple of months but after many years I am still good.
littlemiracles

United States
01/29/2013 06:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mucuna Pruirens supplement. Check it out. Positive results on testing on Parkinson's patients, and works for restless leg syndrome.
 Quoting: Fading Lights

Thanks for that...I may try it.
My doc says being on Mirapex for so many years could actually rebound and cause Parkinson's like symptoms permenantly.
notorious
User ID: 33163997
Croatia
01/29/2013 06:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
A friend of mine fixed that with a joint before sleep.
Kybeam
User ID: 27604421
United States
01/29/2013 06:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Niacin works for me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33263856
United Kingdom
01/29/2013 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi all.

get hammer and hit leg
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33268007
United States
01/29/2013 06:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Magnesium - 500 Mg at bedtime
eddy

User ID: 21052064
United States
01/29/2013 06:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just happens I talked to a person last week who used to use Requip, a parkinsons drug. He found a supplement that works even better. He puts a small amount of Lavender oil behind each ear and on the bottom of each foot. He swears by it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32299721
United States
01/29/2013 07:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
I took clonazepam for years for my restless legs syndrome, but the medical PTB have decided to make it a highly controlled substance.

I recently moved to a new area, and when I told my new doctor I needed a refill on my clonazepam she looked at me like she was horrified, and told me she refuses to prescribe that medication.

So I called my old doctor and told her I need to wean off, and she gave me enough to do so.

I took my last dose on Thursday, and now I can't sleep and the restless legs is back with a vengence.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33003553
United States
01/29/2013 07:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Do a detox and change your diet = fixed
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21738912
United States
01/29/2013 07:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Rls sucks, especially for partners of those with rls. That crap gets annoying. My fiance literally rolled over to his stomach and put his bare foot in my face at 2am once. I had to use all my effort to remove his foot from near my face, and he still thinks it isnt cause for concern. the leg shaking is most annoying though--shakes the whole bed. It doesnt help that i am easily annoyed. I cant see how he gets enough sleep with the leg movements waking him up. And when he snores/stops breathing, the rls is worse during and just after (kicking and leg shaking, probly lacking oxygen). I swear it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28688984
United States
01/29/2013 07:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
You need magnesium! Around 400 mg at night before bed. Try different types of magnesium to see what works for you.
bkw

User ID: 27768994
United States
01/29/2013 07:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have this also last night I had to get up and take a second dose of mirapex. This syndrome is really awful and interferes with your sleep. I will try the magnesium.
K.Kool

User ID: 33289693
Australia
01/29/2013 07:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Start jogging.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27268664

Yes, plus take magnesium, and use iodized salt.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26216161
United States
01/29/2013 07:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Magnesium and one Tbs of apple cider vinegar (Braggs, preferably). I throw some baking soda in the acv (apple cider vinegar) to mellow the taste.

Also vitamin b, only during the day, though, so it won't keep you up at night.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
01/29/2013 07:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Rls sucks, especially for partners of those with rls. That crap gets annoying. My fiance literally rolled over to his stomach and put his bare foot in my face at 2am once. I had to use all my effort to remove his foot from near my face, and he still thinks it isnt cause for concern. the leg shaking is most annoying though--shakes the whole bed. It doesnt help that i am easily annoyed. I cant see how he gets enough sleep with the leg movements waking him up. And when he snores/stops breathing, the rls is worse during and just after (kicking and leg shaking, probly lacking oxygen). I swear it.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21738912

I know what you mean, I've annoyed my previous and current girlfriend wkth it sooo much. I have an extreem case, so I'm usually ready to take a saw to it after nights of not sleeping, I can only imagine how crappy that is for her. It sucks, I know for some it is just annoying creepy feeling in their leg, but it has evolved for me, into a very painful feeling into my arms and leg at the same time. I haven't tried magnesium, I'm going to try that. Thanks for all the advice. You guys are seriously helpful here.
littlemiracles

United States
01/29/2013 07:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 21738912

I know what you mean, I've annoyed my previous and current girlfriend wkth it sooo much. I have an extreem case, so I'm usually ready to take a saw to it after nights of not sleeping, I can only imagine how crappy that is for her. It sucks, I know for some it is just annoying creepy feeling in their leg, but it has evolved for me, into a very painful feeling into my arms and leg at the same time. I haven't tried magnesium, I'm going to try that. Thanks for all the advice. You guys are seriously helpful here.

I have an extreme case too, my poor mate...
If the mirapex and sex doesn't work...I also try "riding a bike" you know, in bed with your legs in the air for about 5 minutes pedaling.
kc27
User ID: 27761521
United States
01/29/2013 07:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Had RLS for 5 years. There are 2 types" Type A is slow onset, usually early (20's-30's). Type B is sudden onset, usually later in life. Type B is caused by a mineral deficiency (usually iron, but magnesium can play a roll for the anemic here too). Go to your county Dr. or clinic if you have one and ask specifically for a FERRITIN test. You may have normal iron levels but be unable to use it.. This rules out type B (for iron deficiency anyway), if your level is above 50. If it below that, even tho you may be in the normal range, that could be the cause of your RLS. While my iron level was building back up (supplements), I used a product from Canada called All Calm which is a Magnesium CITRATE. It is absorbable and you may be surprised, if your RLS is mineral related (Type B) at the relief you can get from this. Magnesium sulfate (pills) don't work because it is too hard on your system to take enough to get real relief. Hope this is helpful. I suffered for 4 years needlessly because I had an arrogant doctor who told me he was an expert on rls. He wasn't. Educate yourself. Stay away from their alopathic drugs and use what nature gave us, it works! Best of luck.

GLP