ATF Going Door to Door Here in Phoenix

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33321666
United States
02/06/2013 07:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
ATF Going Door to Door Here in Phoenix
A buddy of mine just got a visit from the ATF. He had his gun rights restored about 7 years ago, and about six years ago he tried to buy a gun, was delayed so he cancelled the purchase. It turns out the ATF came by today, asked him if he had guns, he said yes and that he had his gun rights restored. He showed the ATF his paperwork and they left. I wonder if this is the President using the ATF to show that the current system doesn't work in an attempt to get "universal background checks" AKA "Universal Gun Registration."

Has anyone heard of this before, or are these "welfare checks" something the ATF has done for a while? I have never heard of this before.

Q:
And you are 100% stone cold certain that your friend told you everything that could have triggered the ATF's attention? That is optimistic at best.

A:
Here some more info. I am "100% stone cold" on this one because I spoke to the ATF agent after he left my friends house. I am an attorney and over the last decade or so have done 100+ restoration of rights/setting aside judgment of guilt (although I am a "civil" guy who hasn't touched criminal cases in over 10 years, I still do these filings). My buddy showed him the certified copy of the Order restoring his rights which of course had my contact info on the pleading because I drafted it. The ATF agent called me to verify that everything my buddy said was true.

Now I had a pretty good conversation with the ATF agent, and what he told me was that they don't "confiscate" they (1) give the person the abilty to transfer to a 3rd party with the 3rd party signing an affidavit saying that the prohibited posessor won't play with it, (2) take the weapon and charge them with a felony, (3) the person can "voluntarily surrender" the weapon with the charges not being filed (i.e. "confiscation") or the person can (4) sell it through an FFL.

I asked the agent why it took so long (the "purchase" was from 2009) and he said he was backed up, but that him and the other agents working on this usually did the more serious crimes but were just detailed to these for now. The agent seem to inidcate the problem is that some FFL release guns to people after the 3 day wait period for NICS approval and that when they find out the purchaser was prohibited they have to pick up the gun. That still doesn't explain my buddy's case though.

I called my buddy imediately after I hung up with the ATF and confirmed everything with my buddy who was laughing his ass off. Turns out the ATF agents (he said 4) kept trying to come into his house when he went for his paperwork and he kept saying "hell no" and closing the door in their face. He said that the agents were in his face pretty good and that when they saw his "papers" they backed down pretty quickly.

I won't make any conclusions, these are just the facts.
Posted at [link to arizonashooting.com]
Terrebonne

User ID: 33701579
United States
02/06/2013 08:04 PM

Report Abusive Post
Re: ATF Going Door to Door Here in Phoenix
bump
INFJ; We are the protectors.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27794780
United States
02/06/2013 08:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Sue them!
Desertwolf

User ID: 10113059
United States
02/06/2013 08:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I find this doubtful I dont doubt the atf is going door to door that seems like how they operate but the truth is you cannot have your gun rights restored I have delt with this for years a few states have paths to own firearms again but it is not recognized by the feds
And here we are staring at each other through an electronic............ error goto ram

I FIGHT FOR ROME!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6649976
Australia
02/06/2013 08:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Probably. This shit happens in Australia. The cops visit the homes of licensed firearm holders and check that their weapons are stored correctly.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 08:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey guys I thought this info needed to get out. I would like to hear from anyone that's gotten a visit from the ATF about this or any other matter regarding gun ownership. Could someone Pin this for discussion purposes.
Devoted Follower
User ID: 32011248
United States
02/06/2013 08:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
ATF looking for a confrontation?

Going door to door until they find one?
Desertwolf

United States
02/06/2013 08:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have delt with the atf off and on since the mid 90s in the 90s I was involved with a colorado milita unit and they tried to recruit me as an informant which i refused and I took off to the hills for a few til everything calmed down even to this day about 3 times a year they stop by my parents house to attempt to make contact they are relentless but they are a massive bureaucracy so unless an agent has a hard on for you if you can avoid contact it will get buried in paperwork fast very very few people are actually arrested or charged by the atf compared to open investigations most of the arrests made are by dumb luck or serious mistakes by ffl holders. they are the mold for armed paper pushers. no do not underestimate them they have a huge pride/ego position in life so they will always escalate a situation to come out on top. just do not make contact do not talk to them if they come to you door dont answer the door if they kick it in thats a different situation but they wont kick it in unless they are serving a warrant
And here we are staring at each other through an electronic............ error goto ram

I FIGHT FOR ROME!!!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 08:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Sue them!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27794780

Not likely to happen, no judge would touch it no attorney
would pursue it....Legal system has long since abandoned common sense and justice.
Desertwolf

United States
02/06/2013 08:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
they have made a friend of mines life a living hell, if you want to know more get in contact with ron cole the individual arrested at the okc bombing trial

I FIGHT FOR ROME!!!
Dr. Manhattan

User ID: 28822130
United States
02/06/2013 08:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Probably. This shit happens in Australia. The cops visit the homes of licensed firearm holders and check that their weapons are stored correctly.
 Quoting: Aunty Flo

They actually come in your home to make sure you are storing your gun properly?

That's crazy.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
they have made a friend of mines life a living hell, if you want to know more get in contact with ron cole the individual arrested at the okc bombing trial
 Quoting: Desertwolf

How long do you think it'll be before the next Waco style takeovers start to happen when people don't blink and call their bluff.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33836610
United States
02/06/2013 08:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.
 Quoting: Dr. Manhattan

this
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 08:45 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

I agree, That's crazy.... must go something like this.........oh yeah, sure come on in and take inventory of my firearms,rifles,shotguns ammo and while you're here can I get you a cup of tea and a vegamite sandwich.(No Offense to you, you're just the messenger) That's not the way it's going down here in the states. We are not a gun culture, We are a culture that loves freedom, and that's never gonna die, no matter who knocks on our doors.
Little Miss Sunshine

User ID: 24519305
United States
02/06/2013 08:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey OP- I just got done talking to my cousin who also lives in Phoenix and she is the big wig at a local car dealership, and her brother Adam works there as well.She knows everyyyything that goes on Phoenix, I asked her if they have heard of anyone getting visits from the ATF and she said "no" she hasn't.

Something is definately up that they would pay him a visit like that! But please keep us informed as to what you find out.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33834456
United States
02/06/2013 08:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
The ATF knocked on the door in Waco and that did not end well.
Little Miss Sunshine

United States
02/06/2013 09:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

this
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33836610

Weapons stored "correctly"???...What if you dont have kids at home, they are grown. Why would you have to "store" your weapons in a proper manner in your own home? I have my firearms within an arms reach in every room in my house.The only time I put them in the vault/safe is when Im going to be gone more than a cpl hours, but I cannot see putting them in the safe "just" to keep them there for when I need one.

Now if my kids were at home and they were young I would def lock them in the vault, or if I had grandchildren, But both of kids grew up shooting when they were 7 and 9 yrs old.
They each had their own guns and they learned firearm safety and also learned how to break their own firearm down , clean them and put them back. They are 25 and 27 now and both of them have their CCW licence and carry every day.
Little Miss Sunshine

United States
02/06/2013 09:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33834456

Touche-Tou'che!!
Little Miss Sunshine

United States
02/06/2013 09:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

I agree, That's crazy.... must go something like this.........oh yeah, sure come on in and take inventory of my firearms,rifles,shotguns ammo and while you're here can I get you a cup of tea and a vegamite sandwich.(No Offense to you, you're just the messenger) That's not the way it's going down here in the states. We are not a gun culture, We are a culture that loves freedom, and that's never gonna die, no matter who knocks on our doors.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33321666

Well said OP!! clappa
clappa
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 961432
United States
02/06/2013 09:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
I find this doubtful I dont doubt the atf is going door to door that seems like how they operate but the truth is you cannot have your gun rights restored I have delt with this for years a few states have paths to own firearms again but it is not recognized by the feds
 Quoting: Desertwolf

The first mistake we all made was calling them "gun rights". The right to defend yourself, instead of relying on any government to defend you (they can't they aren't there) is unalienable.

Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 09:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey OP- I just got done talking to my cousin who also lives in Phoenix and she is the big wig at a local car dealership, and her brother Adam works there as well.She knows everyyyything that goes on Phoenix, I asked her if they have heard of anyone getting visits from the ATF and she said "no" she hasn't.

Something is definately up that they would pay him a visit like that! But please keep us informed as to what you find out.
 Quoting: Little Miss Sunshine

I don't actually live in Phoenix, I have friend that does, he sent this to me. He actually read this and was freaked out by it. He's a collector and avid shooter and very vocal in his community about gun rights, he's thinking the shit is about to hit the fan. I'm telling him not to worry, but he's making some good points. I say it's no big deal, not to worry, either you're gonna live free or you're gonna be a slave.....every man makes that choice for himself.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 09:20 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

Well said OP!! clappa
clappa

Thank you...Little Miss....I'm glad to see there's another freedom lover here...hf
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 09:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33834456

Touche-Tou'che!!

I thought the "Fuck no you can't come in" was a brilliant move.slaphim
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33283057
United States
02/06/2013 09:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have not had that particular visit, yet I say it is all related.
We have a no trespassing sign, and we have Animal Control, which is now part of the "Health Dept." walking in our gate every 6 months. She says " Is that Roxy?" and proceeds to name off all our dogs. They sweep our town with multiple officers and NEW vehicles every 6 months now.
I was very irritated with her attitude, after all, we were licensed. Then again, we now have vehicle inspection checkpoints in the US. Get my drift, ?
I think these are all related, energy efficiency inspections, home sports equipment, coughcough, animals, and who knows what else in the future?
Future's coming fast, my friends.
We will have challenges with those at guys when they get here. ha.
peace, all.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 09:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have not had that particular visit, yet I say it is all related.
We have a no trespassing sign, and we have Animal Control, which is now part of the "Health Dept." walking in our gate every 6 months. She says " Is that Roxy?" and proceeds to name off all our dogs. They sweep our town with multiple officers and NEW vehicles every 6 months now.
I was very irritated with her attitude, after all, we were licensed. Then again, we now have vehicle inspection checkpoints in the US. Get my drift, ?
I think these are all related, energy efficiency inspections, home sports equipment, coughcough, animals, and who knows what else in the future?
Future's coming fast, my friends.
We will have challenges with those at guys when they get here. ha.
peace, all.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33283057

Yes my friend it's all happening very fast...All the open training, announcing drone strikes on Americans legal, whether there's proof or not, without a trail, warrant or jack shit..BOOOOM...big cloud of smoke...you're history.

Yep...America may have seen it's best days....saddens me to think about it.
Anonymous Coward
Australia
02/06/2013 09:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

No, it's sane. Firearms should be stored correctly. Actually, it's not like that. The police are nice about it. They are actually nice about it. Just making sure people are not being irresponsible with their firearms.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32213631
Ireland
02/06/2013 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

No, it's sane. Firearms should be stored correctly. Actually, it's not like that. The police are nice about it. They are actually nice about it. Just making sure people are not being irresponsible with their firearms.

how am i going to defend my family with a gun stored in a safe with a gun lock unloaded? is Marcus T. Thug going to give me time to dial the combination, remove my gun lock, and load the magazine? think a little, you silly silly libby.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/06/2013 09:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

Flo'
I read and/or post on just about every type of forum on the internet. I'm no newbie forum poster, so when I say this, take it for what it's worth.

No matter what site I post at, there's always some person from Australia commenting on gun control, gun ban, gun rights, GUN-anything. I'm not trying to be rude, but the Australians didn't have a Constitution that spelled out their gun rights. I'm not sure why it is that a person who lives in Australia is so concerned about guns in America. What's the likely hood you could get shot by a gun in America. The issue isn't for debate with outsiders. I'm not a global citizen, I'm American, and I don't put my nose in the business of my neighbor so I surely don't tell people in another country what the hell to think about their rights.
Anonymous Coward
Australia
02/06/2013 09:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

how am i going to defend my family with a gun stored in a safe with a gun lock unloaded? is Marcus T. Thug going to give me time to dial the combination, remove my gun lock, and load the magazine? think a little, you silly silly libby.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32213631

I can't understand your thinking. I love living in Australia, we don't think like this. I think we are saner.
AdHocBOHICA

User ID: 32335824
United States
02/06/2013 10:06 PM
Report Abusive Post

That's crazy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
clappa
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ~Seneca

PS:
I Stole this from another member.... ;)
AdHocBOHICA

User ID: 32335824
United States
02/06/2013 10:08 PM
Report Abusive Post

I can't understand your thinking. I love living in Australia, we don't think like this. I think we are saner.

Most HERE do not care about what a Queens SUBJECT supposedly thinks(Feel). Stay there.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ~Seneca

PS:
I Stole this from another member.... ;)

GLP