Scientists create 'sixth sense' brain implant

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 904314
Canada
02/17/2013 11:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Scientists create 'sixth sense' brain implant
We already got cameras to detect them. You dont need an implant. Its easy to make diy IR detector, i sense something sinister
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 34230921

That's right, lugging around a massive backpack of technical gear and having giant cameras hanging off your head while wearing some kind of helmet is really better than a little computer hooked up to your mechanical but otherwise normal looking eyes, from the inside of your head.

Which would you prefer? Looking like a freak, or looking like everyone else, perfectly normal?
WindyMind

User ID: 26518293
United States
02/17/2013 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34230921
United Kingdom
02/17/2013 11:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
We already got cameras to detect them. You dont need an implant. Its easy to make diy IR detector, i sense something sinister

That's right, lugging around a massive backpack of technical gear and having giant cameras hanging off your head while wearing some kind of helmet is really better than a little computer hooked up to your mechanical but otherwise normal looking eyes, from the inside of your head.

Which would you prefer? Looking like a freak, or looking like everyone else, perfectly normal?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 904314

Freak? Normal? You already judge by looks. I don't know about you but i worry about having something inside my body which wasn't originally part of me from birth.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1540313
United States
02/17/2013 11:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
sign me up to be a lab rat, that would be too cool, as long as I had a disconnect button...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34599211
Germany
02/17/2013 11:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
This will be done for the coming Military.

So they can hunt down the last hiding population after the storm.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 904314
Canada
02/17/2013 11:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Freak? Normal? You already judge by looks. I don't know about you but i worry about having something inside my body which wasn't originally part of me from birth.

Right, well you enjoy looking like a cyborg from a cheap 1980's flic, while everyone else just looks human!

And btw.. not one single atom in your body remains from when you were born, you're completely made up of stuff which weren't originally part of you. Everything you've learned is also not originally part of you. Everything you eat and drink. The clothing you wear, all that hair, etc, etc
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34599211
Germany
02/17/2013 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
This will be used for the next generation Military to ensure that they kill the rest of the hiding population after the storm
TDJ

User ID: 32831057
United States
02/17/2013 11:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
ok, that is a good candidate for the 'mark of the beast' po-sit-ion
 Quoting: 1908247

Heh all you anti-tech assholes, how about I smack you's in the back of your neck with a tire iron and give you some spinal cord damage like I have - then you can tell everybody about your stupid-ass "mark of the beast" for real and I'll be happy to play the beast.
 Quoting: Cat.Man.Deux

Bitter and crippled.

I bet you're a fucking riot at parties.

Oops, sorry, you don't get invited to any parties, sorry.
 Quoting: Professor Xavier

Way outta line. Usually you're witty without being an asshole. Those kind of remarks insure that karma will intercede in your life someday and make you see things from a different pov
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.

Bob Marley

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.”
THOMAS PAINE (1737-1809)

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. Bruce Lee
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22548981
United States
02/17/2013 11:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
now we can see through the wall and door..
great ..5a
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9669821

Woohoo, nekked chicks everywhere!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34610334
Brazil
02/17/2013 11:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why do you think Google's smartphone O.S. is called "Android"?

ding ding ding!
just a dude

User ID: 9618710
United States
02/17/2013 11:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why do you think Google's smartphone O.S. is called "Android"?

ding ding ding!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 34610334

a little IR com link between you two

O band Original 1260–1360 nm
E band Extended 1360–1460 nm
S band Short wavelength 1460–1530 nm
C band Conventional 1530–1565 nm
L band Long wavelength 1565–1625 nm
U band Ultralong wavelength 1625–1675 nm

The C-band is the dominant band for long-distance telecommunication networks. The S and L bands are based on less well established technology, and are not as widely deployed

you overlords will be proud that you wish to commmunicate, I mean be subjugated
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20581494
Canada
02/17/2013 11:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Scientists have created a "sixth sense" by creating a brain implant through which infrared light can be detected.
Although the light could not be seen lab rats were able to detect it via electrodes in the part of the brain responsible for their sense of touch.
Similar devices have previously been used to make up for lost capabilities, for example giving paralysed patients the ability to move a cursor around the screen with their thoughts.
[link to www.telegraph.co.uk]
 Quoting: omar

afro gorebot
ExTraDimensionaL777

User ID: 34523998
Belgium
02/17/2013 11:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Scientists have created a "sixth sense" by creating a brain implant through which infrared light can be detected.
Although the light could not be seen lab rats were able to detect it via electrodes in the part of the brain responsible for their sense of touch.
Similar devices have previously been used to make up for lost capabilities, for example giving paralysed patients the ability to move a cursor around the screen with their thoughts.

yeye, comeon..

get on one of those '' six senses''

AND FORGET ABOUT ALL OTHER SENSES ...

as well as FREE WILL .. so ..

have fun ...

peace
These dayz through THA REAL RAP (element of hip-hop)--------------------------------------EACH ONE TEACH ONE----------------------------------------P.OSiTiVE
-> (THERE iS NO REAL RAP ON TV or RADiOs) <- ----------------------------------------------------NO JUSTICE----------------------------------------------E​.NERGY
is the only way youths listen to--------------------------------------------------------​------------------------JUST US---------------------------------------A.CTiVATES
t​he Prophets !!! ------------------------------------"..artificial physical material posessions posses you-------------------------------------------------------​-C.ONSTANT
----------------------------------------------------------​-------------------you are your own self rescue-----------------------------------------------------​-------E.LEVATiON
PROOF -> 'CAN YOU CATCH iT???' --------------------------------------GOD BLESS YOU " [link to www.youtube.com] ----------------------------

remembah: FEAR iS THA MiND-KiLLAH [link to www.youtube.com]

separation is the ego's greatest politRick-------------------------------------------------​----------------------------------------
[link to www.youtube.com]

CONTROL YOUR OWN THOUGHT PATTERNS ! Do NOT allow to be controlled ! --------------------
-------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- SELF-DESTRUCTION IS THA POWA
LiGHT = iNFORMATiON ;D ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------​--- WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THE FUNCTION IS !!!!
------------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- [link to www.youtube.com]
peace2daUNIVERSE------------------- There's NO MYSTERiES, ONLY KNOWLEDGE & iGNORANCE ----------------- SAD TO SEE MEDICINE DIVORCE MORALITY... ;/
emerald_glow

User ID: 31028625
United States
02/17/2013 11:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
The sixth sense is natural, fuck implants.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 34607947

+1

If we re-sensitize ourselves to the natural state, no implants needed. If they were not spiritually/emotionally retarded, they'd know that it is NOT in the brain anyway.

yoda
Emerald_Glow
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34461809
France
02/17/2013 11:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thread: Techno DOOM! Cylon or Terminator on the way

yoda
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31889572
Netherlands
02/17/2013 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Old news, [link to quasi-mundo.com]
Amy_A

User ID: 16982804
United States
02/17/2013 11:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Tats great 4 ppl with disabilities and all, but in a few years when sht like this hits the mainstream, everybody will want 2 enhance their human capabilities i'm sure of it... The age of the cyborgs is coming my friends. You all will be faced with a hard choice. Will u keep up with societe by enhancing ur brain, but loose ur humanity and disconnect from ur true inner powers @ the same time, or stay boring and acheive those goals trough hard work and meditation... Why are we always in search 4 the magic pill...

Well i'm definitely choosing to leave my brain the way god intented thank you. Think about it, nature is ALWAYS more efficiant than anything we will ever build. So while the pll who choose the implants will only limit their powers, mine will keep growing... Maybe @ a slower rate but when i finally reach their levels, they will be stuck there until the technologie becomes better, i'll keep growing. No one will control my evolution but me.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27932711

Great insight. Have you noticed all the talk about these enhanced capabilities coming to us soon through man made products such as chips and upgrades? They know that humans are starting to get DNA upgrades by God and they want to stop those natural upgrades by offering some man made BS. I am sure the chips will work great at first but what will they also be programmed to do. I imagine our natural upgrades will be disabled so we will remain pawns in the game. They put metal in my spine years ago and I regret it each day. The metal creates interference in our very sophisticated electric system.
Peace
Amy
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3015251
United States
02/17/2013 12:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
My Sister-in-law had Parkinson's disease. It was advancing to the point that she was unable to function and medication was having little effect. She agreed to an experimental brain implant that was to reduce or possibly eliminate the shaking. Well, things did not go at all as expected. Not long after being implanted she started to exhibit irrational and violent behavior. It would come in episodes, where she would be normal for a while and then erratic. As time went by the erratic behavior became longer lived and more violent, to the point that she all but destroyed her carousel horse collection, which was her pride and joy, as well as being down right mean to everyone around her. From what little I observed, it was very similar to the effects of Alzheimer's disease, of which I have some experience through a family member. Not too long before her death, during one of her lucid moments, she broke down into tears and told her husband that during her erratic times she was inside watching herself doing these things, yet was unable to stop herself. It was as if something else were driving her body and she just stood by helpless to stop it. She felt guilt and remorse at her actions and was basically asking for forgiveness. She died not too long after.

For me, just imagining this type of situation is enough for me to not want anything implanted in my brain. If I ever happen to be in a situation similar to her's I might think differently, or I might be a bit more accepting of my situation considering the possible alternative.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31036137
United States
02/17/2013 12:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Airforce actually conducted public experiments where people learned to control a device remotely with their thoughts. The device could be at any distance, so long as it was in Earths electrical cavity.

That was back in 1998.
Trixagus horni

User ID: 28057136
Netherlands
02/17/2013 12:27 PM

Report Abusive Post

Exciting but scary...just as that fast running spider damned

I don't want anything unnatural in my brain. It's already working on full speed...;-)
But if it will help others in a positive way, they have my blessing. hf
Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
(Friedrich Nietzsche)
omar  (OP)

User ID: 34139501
United Kingdom
02/17/2013 12:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31889572

Old news?
But its got todays date on it.
:spyda:
Asael

User ID: 34385224
Sweden
02/17/2013 12:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Now, while I think this type of tech is great for people who are disabled, the potential for abuse of a brain implant is astronomical. If you were TPTB, what would you do if you had immediate, unrestricted access to billions of brains? Total control of the sheep...

Though I'm absolutely certain no one on Earth would ever do something like that with such beneficial technology.
INTJ women - 0.8% of the population

Rules, limitations and traditions are anathema to the INTJ personality type - everything should be open to questioning and reevaluation, and if they see a way, INTJs will often act unilaterally to enact their technically superior, sometimes insensitive, and almost always unorthodox methods and ideas.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34610550
United States
02/17/2013 12:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Direct connection user interface, the melding of man and machine, cybernetics, bionics. Drone wars, utilized by specialized agents that link the brain directly to the craft,allowing fastest possible reaction time and awareness. Virtual reality. The beginning of the matrix...
Saddletramp

User ID: 812002
Puerto Rico
02/17/2013 12:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
I dunno why we would do that to ourselves, we already have all of these abilities if we just pay attention to them...

It's called the subconscious...
"And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods..." ~ Horatius

"Because he told the truth, and once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey..."

"We don't rent pigs!"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33398628
United States
02/17/2013 12:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Augmenting an atrophied, decayed species won't save it - but will only more quickly hasten its demise. To the junkyard you go...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 34607000

Imagine if you will, such an implant thing becoming sophisticated enough that you can read webpages with it. Imagine if you will, being able to read and post on GLP simply by thinking about it. Being able to send/receive texts just by thinking about it. Being able to store your personal data inside your own head, instead of on some corporate owned cloud or home PC

Being able to access all the knowledge of the world just by thinking about it. Details step by step instructions for anything and everything instantly available to your brain.

That would be a pretty big bootstrap augmentation for many many people!

Well these things have been in sci-fi novels for decades, not much more sinister than the comm-pads that did all this stuff, such as in star trek, which have now come to life in the form of the tablet pc

1dunno1

That's a pretty fucking lazy existence.
Rinty

User ID: 18164113
United States
02/17/2013 12:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Augmenting an atrophied, decayed species won't save it - but will only more quickly hasten its demise. To the junkyard you go...

Imagine if you will, such an implant thing becoming sophisticated enough that you can read webpages with it. Imagine if you will, being able to read and post on GLP simply by thinking about it. Being able to send/receive texts just by thinking about it. Being able to store your personal data inside your own head, instead of on some corporate owned cloud or home PC

Being able to access all the knowledge of the world just by thinking about it. Details step by step instructions for anything and everything instantly available to your brain.

Well these things have been in sci-fi novels for decades, not much more sinister than the comm-pads that did all this stuff, such as in star trek, which have now come to life in the form of the tablet pc

1dunno1

There have been experiments in Russia using complete darkness. Complete darkness is very hard to obtain. It has there been noticed that all life, from plant to ant, put out light. It was also noticed that if any life form is threatened it puts out more light. It also can quickly learn if the threat is just threat or if there is full intent to harm.

We know. It is more important in learning not to know. We limit what we allow ourselves to know. The best definition of wisdom is the knowledge of what to reveal and what to conceal.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33398628
Rinty

User ID: 18164113
United States
02/17/2013 12:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

1dunno1

There have been experiments in Russia using complete darkness. Complete darkness is very hard to obtain. It has there been noticed that all life, from plant to ant, put out light. It was also noticed that if any life form is threatened it puts out more light. It also can quickly learn if the threat is just threat or if there is full intent to harm.

We know. It is more important in learning not to know. We limit what we allow ourselves to know. The best definition of wisdom is the knowledge of what to reveal and what to conceal.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 33398628

Quoting: Rinty

(think I pushed wrong button)
cosmicgypsy

User ID: 31282946
United States
02/17/2013 01:11 PM

Report Abusive Post
Now, while I think this type of tech is great for people who are disabled, the potential for abuse of a brain implant is astronomical. If you were TPTB, what would you do if you had immediate, unrestricted access to billions of brains? Total control of the sheep...

Though I'm absolutely certain no one on Earth would ever do something like that with such beneficial technology.
 Quoting: Asael

[link to www.wtec.org]
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

...I adapt to the unknown,
under wandering stars I've grown,
by myself, but not alone...

[link to www.youtube.com (secure)]
PEER
User ID: 21008556
United States
02/17/2013 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
the 'Noosphere' and 'Converging Technologies for Improving Human Performance."
Wolfen /v\

User ID: 34541197
United States
02/17/2013 01:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
Future applications are unimaginable!alien7
Life is short.....live it with ecstasy!

Intuition is a status of mind to live by.

The most destructive lies we tell are the ones we tell ourselves. Once you stop this behavior things begin to change. The universe embraces you and gives you the courage, forbearance, faith, hope and love to move up the staircase. It's enLightening.

Changing the world one person at a time.

I
II
IIII
IIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

THE DOOR OF DOOM HAS BEEN BOLWN OEPN AND TREHE IS A GIPANG HLOE IN JAAPN!

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching." -- Gerard Way

GLP