got arrested for the first time tonight

you know who
User ID: 1750328
United States
03/03/2013 06:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
got arrested for the first time tonight
So stupid i always disliked the law and now i dislike it far more. I was driving to my gf's house (literally two miles away in distance). Turned right from a one lane road to a two lane road, my turn after is like maybe 300 feet away so i skipped the first lane. I do this all the time and see lots of people do it. Bam pulled over. I get nervous when i get pulled over so my hands were shaking a little cop thought i was under the influence of something gave me a sobriety test. I Failed somehow and he searched my car finding my weed stash which had less than 3 grams.

I get arrested because of that and possible dui. I passed the doctors test at the jail but still got slammed with two tickets. one for the traffic violation 300$. the other for possesion of weed 1000$. My car got towed so all in all i owe 1500$. wtf?

I dont sell (never did) , i dont steal, dont do anything i would consider bad especially in the eyes of the law. Why must good people get in trouble for something so small and have to pay big? I mean if i sold drugs i would understand but no.. What you guys think?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35456673
United Kingdom
03/03/2013 06:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: got arrested for the first time tonight
Because the law is a form of exploitation, not the behavior modification that it sells itself as.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14776990
United States
03/03/2013 06:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Drive better and keep the weed at home.

Simple.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34139889
United States
03/03/2013 06:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
So stupid i always disliked the law and now i dislike it far more. I was driving to my gf's house (literally two miles away in distance). Turned right from a one lane road to a two lane road, my turn after is like maybe 300 feet away so i skipped the first lane. I do this all the time and see lots of people do it. Bam pulled over. I get nervous when i get pulled over so my hands were shaking a little cop thought i was under the influence of something gave me a sobriety test. I Failed somehow and he searched my car finding my weed stash which had less than 3 grams.

I get arrested because of that and possible dui. I passed the doctors test at the jail but still got slammed with two tickets. one for the traffic violation 300$. the other for possesion of weed 1000$. My car got towed so all in all i owe 1500$. wtf?

I dont sell (never did) , i dont steal, dont do anything i would consider bad especially in the eyes of the law. Why must good people get in trouble for something so small and have to pay big? I mean if i sold drugs i would understand but no.. What you guys think?
 Quoting: you know who 1750328

Doesn't really matter what we think -- possession is against the law in most states - and obviously wreckless driving is too.

Where I live - if you're caught with even a roach in a vehicle - you get locked up until you post bond or a court date is set. If you're driving wreckless on top of it - you're going to be in there probably until the case is closed.

I've known people to spend a few weeks in jail over nothing but a one-hitter - already cashed..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1018225
United States
03/03/2013 06:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Don't feel bad, traffic and drug infractions are the only things that the police can actually do.
Its like this, if one person is carrying drugs and another person has stolen goods the only guaranteed conviction is the drugs.
It is easier to get away with murder than carrying drugs.
Rtruth

User ID: 35192399
Canada
03/03/2013 06:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yaahhhh I hear you. Listen, don't harbor any grudges or bad feelings. Think about it more like this. It was a 1500 dollar learning experience. It was paid training. This wasn't the first lesson like this you'll have, they'll be more yet.

The challenge that I see is that the justice system is a far cry from what it use to be. The cops justification is "they're trying to do their job". But on the other hand what that job has turned into to a large degree is revenue generating. Like I use to think nothing of when I see a cop somewhere. I don't fear them, but knowing there job is to revenue generate to some degree makes me nervious so I try and stay away from them. But they don't hate you, they're just doing there job. They don't understand the big picture of the system, and even if they did they still have to put food on there kitchen table so they're not gonna quit there job. I don't think I've ever met a really bad cop. Last time the guy apologised for giving me a speeding ticket. So they're good people deep down, but their job dicates they try and generate revenue.

The problem is like this....

Lets say a cop let everything slide. And many do infact. The problem is they're never giving out tickets and say they're always lettting the bad guy go with a warning. Then you have to ask yourself "what am I paying them to do?". So they write up tickets, and arrests. That shows that theyre doing there job of getting "the bad guy". The problem happens though that often a normal decent guy will get busted for something minor and then there left screaming "where's the justice in that!" etc etc.

But that's sort of collateral damage.

but again that's just one of the many many things in the world that are out there. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So again don't have bad feelings. That's life. Just be more careful next time. Like if you didn't have the weed and were not driving iradically then you might have not been pulled over or arrested. so you have to take personal responsiblity for that. now be a good little sheeple and you can reserve your right to be a bonnified free range chicken okay!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5291183
United States
03/03/2013 06:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
That is how the police department makes money these days. Just wait until they have to keep the (private)prisons at 95% occupancy legally.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30742855
United States
03/03/2013 08:09 AM
Report Abusive Post

You could have kept that down to the tow bill if you knew your rights.

You had the right to refuse that breathalyser.

You had the right to refuse your car being searched.

The $1300 in violation fines you owe because you are ignorant of your own rights.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35451479
United States
03/03/2013 09:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
If BRIEF had his way, you would be crucified to a cross and have more nails driven into you than Jesus Christ himself....(and if you were black it would be even worse)!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35482250
United States
03/03/2013 10:01 AM
Report Abusive Post

You could have kept that down to the tow bill if you knew your rights.

You had the right to refuse that breathalyser.

You had the right to refuse your car being searched.

The $1300 in violation fines you owe because you are ignorant of your own rights.
 Quoting: Deaf Cat in the Blue Hat

Sorry sweetie it don't work that way....
once he committed the crime(driving offense) they had "probable cause".....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35402623
United States
03/03/2013 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Because the law is a form of exploitation, not the behavior modification that it sells itself as.
 Quoting: The Loophole

pretty much sums it up. It is just another tool to extract resources from the people. If the cop could have he would have seized your car to auction away.

Hard lesson to learn, but if you are doing something the cops will arrest you for, always follow every letter of the law.

Or as it was stated in Gangs of New York.
"The appearance of the law must be maintained, especially when one is breaking it."

Sorry you have to endure this lesson in freedom. :(
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35488780
United States
03/03/2013 10:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: The Loophole

+1

Very true.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35488780
United States
03/03/2013 10:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Encourage you please, once you get the mess straightened out and the fines paid off, please work from a political point of view to bring about positive changes in the system. It does not change now, only gets worse, because too many people suck it up and don't do anything about it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3960495
United States
03/03/2013 10:23 AM
Report Abusive Post

Simple.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14776990

Even simpler and more in line with having a free country is to not have fascist laws in the first place.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35482250
United States
03/03/2013 10:25 AM
Report Abusive Post

Simple.

Even simpler and more in line with having a free country is to not have fascist laws in the first place.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 3960495

So you are for No speed limits?
BRIEF

User ID: 35262157
United States

Report Abusive Post
If BRIEF had his way, you would be crucified to a cross and have more nails driven into you than Jesus Christ himself....(and if you were black it would be even worse)!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 35451479

Do we really want people drinking and doing drugs behind the wheel of a two ton machine?
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23554071
United States
Report Abusive Post

"I do this all the time...."..."...cop thought i was under the influence"...."I Failed somehow..."

That is the wimpiest defense I ever heard. Pay up and move along. Always keep this incident fresh in your memory. Think of how many beers and weed you lost out on because of your bad driving skills. Next time walk to the bitch's house.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/03/2013 10:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
That is how the police department makes money these days. Just wait until they have to keep the (private)prisons at 95% occupancy legally.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 5291183

Exactly, as we all feel the economic stress, we all look to find extra income. The police do this by creating criminals and therefore fine money revenue.

My friend got pulled over last night for driving in the passing lane. Not speeding, but driving in the left lane when no other cars were around. Me thinks the police are really getting scummier and scummier by the minute.
TDJ

User ID: 34960377
United States
03/03/2013 10:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
You really got off pretty easy. the cops could have beat the shit out of you and then charged you for resisting arrest.

It sucks but at least you aren't still in the pokey
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.

Bob Marley

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.”
THOMAS PAINE (1737-1809)

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. Bruce Lee
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26161918
United States
03/03/2013 10:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
The legal system is so economically regressive.
A rich man can pay the $1,300 in fines and not even feel it, while a poor man can easily be financially ruined and find it extremely difficult to get a job subsequently.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ARRESTED?

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY?
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/03/2013 10:28 AM
Report Abusive Post

Do we really want people drinking and doing drugs behind the wheel of a two ton machine?
 Quoting: BRIEF

We sort of promote this idea already. How many millions of people pop their anxiety meds or whatever white lab coat concoction they become accustomed to and then head out on our highways every morning?
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/03/2013 10:31 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: BRIEF

We sort of promote this idea already. How many millions of people pop their anxiety meds or whatever white lab coat concoction they become accustomed to and then head out on our highways every morning?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 3960495

More importantly, how many people die SOBER as the result of an accident just because they are behind a 2 ton machine?

The answer is too many. So, if our police force is so concerned, why dont we eliminate cars? Accidental auto death rates are seriously WAY TOO HIGH.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22135651
United States
03/03/2013 10:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP... you are your own worst enemy.

I'm not a fan of the current weed laws or law enforcement, but you set yourself up for failure what with drugs in your car and driving improperly.

But no worries... you can always blame the cop, the law, politicians or the Universe as a whole. You seem to be a victim of your own apathy/stupidity/arrogance, but it is okay to blame anything other than yourself. After all, liberals do it all the time!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35480633
United Kingdom
03/03/2013 10:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
shouldn't have done weed then, jackass
Rtruth

User ID: 35192399
Canada
03/03/2013 10:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Don't taze me dude don't taze me!
Fred
User ID: 34879813
United States
03/03/2013 10:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Time to legalize weed already. Sadly I see lots of bad dangerous drivers never getting pulled over, when someone does its often a technicality. Cops are never there when some speed crazed fucktard almost runs you off the road, but will appear from nowhere ten seconds if a tail light burns out.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25450407
United States
03/03/2013 10:38 AM
Report Abusive Post

Simple.

HEY ... don't do this either > > > flick
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35451479
United States
03/03/2013 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Should have asked the cop to pull his zipper down so that you could "speak to the judge".....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35487838
United States
03/03/2013 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Most cops are nothing more than tax collectors for the state.
They are NOT there to "protect and serve" YOU.

They are there to "protect and serve" the interests of
their masters who write their paychecks, THE STATE.

Use your head when it comes to dealing with them.
They are your ENEMY.

Everyone knows this.

How many people get a warm fuzzy feeling when they
see a cop behind them?
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/03/2013 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Most cops are nothing more than tax collectors for the state.
They are NOT there to "protect and serve" YOU.

They are there to "protect and serve" the interests of
their masters who write their paychecks, THE STATE.

Use your head when it comes to dealing with them.
They are your ENEMY.

Everyone knows this.

How many people get a warm fuzzy feeling when they
see a cop behind them?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 35487838

They sure arent there to help a citizen like I saw them portrayed in older movies.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10714764
United States
03/03/2013 10:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
That was legality not law. Learn the law and shit like that cant happen to you. But if you dont know the law and are foolish enough to think mans legal system is law then you get treated like a slave. Learn the law dont complain about your lack of understanding the law. The legal system is a fiction. It is not law. It is not a lawful system.

GLP