Social Networking and The Ego

?
User ID: 36646887
United States
03/25/2013 05:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Social Networking and The Ego
Lives lived in front of everyone. In a generation that wants their entire world to see what they are they doing, how many people love them, or just how pretty they are. To me it screams look at me look at me. Is social networking creating a generation that is driven soley by their ego? When will the trend of putting your life on the web die out, or will it only become more and more advanced?
NoveLLL
User ID: 36296449
United States
03/25/2013 05:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Social Networking and The Ego
This is a very important subject that I feel we can open a much larger forum on. With the billion(s) now of Facebook, as a professional, I see a very large gap between those who are unconsciously using social media platforms for various reasons.

This idea of interconnectedness is a great subject that I would like open up a dialog on as a professional wishing to seek deeper insight on, while taking the opinions of those who use it frequently, and those who use it moderately, to those who are fully against the idea altogether.

I believe the platform to carry a very real mechanism for social change and a truly revolutionary way to join our species in a web of belief and thought.
Although I feel this is not the way we are using it. We are using it to entertain the ego, and nullify the spirit.
I will elaborate later if I receive a response that I feel is adequate in its expertise.

as always,

-Novel
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28057894
Denmark
03/25/2013 05:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
both very good posts :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11213610
United States
03/25/2013 05:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Guess it makes a difference what shape your mind is in.

:globalbrai:

------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1342725
United States
03/25/2013 06:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
Don't know :/
Fuck I hate that trend & it's been like that since highschool.
This person who I was interested at a club last summer wanted to 'follow' me thought I just was an uninterested liar when I'm like I don't have one.
It sucks because when I explained they could get to know me by courting me, they didn't know how to follow up.
seriously seemed very smart too, but maybe their being so good looking clouded my judgement- however they had a bachelors & went into detail on domestic US policy & was sad when I told them Romney could not win lol.

Rant.

Anyway, fuck this.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31564316
United States
03/25/2013 06:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
We are programmed by anticipation and formulas.

Why?

Because we get bored.

People do break out of this anticipation loop and become self aware.
CripplingLies

User ID: 18166368
Brazil
03/25/2013 06:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Social Networks, are the actual "Narcissus mirror". A tool used to keep masses away from real world. This combined with TV and "news", makes one sooooo out of reality, that reality itself sounds like fantasy. They are so deep in the cave, that even the cave itself is too big(check Plato's cave allegory)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 454829
United States
03/25/2013 06:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Social Networking is like crack for malignant narcissists.

It's another source for (NS) "Narcissistic Supply": A pathological or excessive need for attention or admiration that does not take into account the feelings, opinions or preferences of other people.

Are you (or someone your know) a narcissist?
[link to personality-testing.info]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 33840638
United States
03/25/2013 06:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
This generation also has an issue with ego because of their parents. Social networking is destroying what little humanity and compassion we have left and creating MEMEMEME monsters. It's supposed to be social yet all it does is keep us locked up in a non-face to face social atmosphere. Unfortunately I also believe that some people are living a fake life and posting it on FB to make their real life seem better.

Back to the parents. Curious how Zuck was raised. The parents have told them from day one how perfect they are. Look how pretty you are! Look at you! You are so wonderful! You can do anything. Never telling the child when they actually did something wrong. Never disciplining. Never setting boundaries. Allowing the child to walk all over them. Allowing the child to do whatever they want including destroying other peoples property and then telling the property owner. "It's okay, how else is Aiden supposed to know what the flowers in the dirt feel like?" After her child tore up your flower bed, instead of apologizing and making the child do the same. (Not a real story, just an example.)In your first lessons you teach your kids don't touch. Especially other peoples things. There is a reason. It goes beyond physical but also spiritual. Don't touch other peoples things, including thoughts. Because they belong to them. Don't touch them, at least not without permission. Don't tell a person their thoughts are wrong because they are theirs, not yours. You can however share your thoughts and hope for the same respect back.

We give them whatever they want. WHATEVER they want. We give them toys with electronic bells and whistles from day one. They have something electronic in their hands from the beginning now. TV is a babysitter soon after birth. We start making them want to buy buy buy from birth. Their parents buy into it. Oh Olivia needs this new baby gap outfit to keep up with the other day care babies instead of my neighbors hand me downs. From birth, and it does not end. The keeping up with the Jones.

I could go on and on. It goes deeper than the internet. We had a generation of assholes raising another generation of assholes. Thankfully some of us slipped through the cracks and still give a damn about someone other than ourselves. I have an 18 year old daughter that thank god I had the balls to teach right from wrong. Find something outside of an electronic device to entertain her and forced her to THINK. Got toys from thrift stores from when I was a kid in the 70's that taught things instead of just occupy and entertain. Does anyone under 35 even know what the original Fisher Price Little People toys were like? We had a whole village full. My family still has them. My daughter played with them at the integral ages needed to use them to act out the world she saw around her. And books. What's a book? They don't even read real books anymore. Words on a book sized screen do not a book make. The story might still be there but it's not a book.

Forget the Jones.....I'd rather keep up with the jetsons.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35179157
United States
03/25/2013 06:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
I quit facebook over a year ago and am much happier. I was very uncomfortable with the potential to get caught up in ego, material attachments and lack of living in the moment. Get to togethers are about taking the pic to be posted on social network, rather than enjoy the moment every one is posing.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/25/2013 06:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is a very important subject that I feel we can open a much larger forum on. With the billion(s) now of Facebook, as a professional, I see a very large gap between those who are unconsciously using social media platforms for various reasons.

This idea of interconnectedness is a great subject that I would like open up a dialog on as a professional wishing to seek deeper insight on, while taking the opinions of those who use it frequently, and those who use it moderately, to those who are fully against the idea altogether.

I believe the platform to carry a very real mechanism for social change and a truly revolutionary way to join our species in a web of belief and thought.
Although I feel this is not the way we are using it. We are using it to entertain the ego, and nullify the spirit.
I will elaborate later if I receive a response that I feel is adequate in its expertise.

as always,

-Novel
 Quoting: NoveLLL 36296449

What is your profession?

Your interest in this subject interests me greatly because myself and others have been speaking about the universal conscious for many months now here on this forum. It is a subject that has been growing quietly but increasingly and in the last several days exploded. It is in some obscure threads but out in the open too. Seek and ye shall find information a plenty.

You are correct in the thought that social networking can be used as a mechanism for change and it is being abused.

The very basic laws of:

Love thy neighbor as thyself.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Have been thrown out the window in favor of love ONLY thyself. Most important truths are the most abused. Realize we are all connected and that everything you do affects everything else. Including what we all post on the internet.

Whoever has the most toys when they die does not win.
Trust me.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/25/2013 07:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
I quit facebook over a year ago and am much happier. I was very uncomfortable with the potential to get caught up in ego, material attachments and lack of living in the moment. Get to togethers are about taking the pic to be posted on social network, rather than enjoy the moment every one is posing.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 35179157

Sure does seem like it doesn't it?

I keep it because I do keep connected with people I really care about that are all over the country. I have less than 50 FB friends. I know each and every one of them personally.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 36646887
United States
03/25/2013 01:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 35179157

That is why I only take pictures when people don't notice me.

GLP