Unexplained Experiences You Remember As A Child

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27972246
United States
04/12/2013 03:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Unexplained Experiences You Remember As A Child
of course time seemed slower when you were a kid, half of you are nuts. think about it: your total time of reference grows with each day. when you're 10, you only have 10 years total in your memory banks, and half again of that which you can actually remember clearly. when you're 50, you have 50 years total, and 45 you can remember. thus a second is a much larger proportion of your total time on earth when you're younger, than it is once you start getting considerably older. that's my take on this issue.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16648993

Personally I think you are using out-dated computer metaphors, perhaps you need to update your computer metaphors to include such things as holographic neural networked artificial intelligence quantum computers for your new computer metaphors to express consciousness.

Strangely I can warp time to be both fast and slow now that I am 59 and have both senses at the same time.
strange fellow

User ID: 33083220
United Kingdom
04/12/2013 03:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey, conspiracy dudes and dudettes, I almost hesitate to ask on a site like this, but is it normal for a low overhead and hovering helicopter to cause head vibrations/buzzing? I imagine a bed would vibrate a little, and if you're lying down, you could feel some of those vibrations, yes?
 Quoting: GreenMess 35822154

Hate choppers (Work are used to my Oddities)
Read a book- Dumbass
 Quoting: Alex A Madison

"If I have to lose one of my senses, let it be my sense of impending doom."
 Quoting: Raving Lunatic 0

1984 was NOT meant as an Instruction Manual
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/12/2013 03:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is going to sound so strange and I have never told anyone this but I have vivid memories as a child of being able to float (I guess that is what you would call it). I would jump up in my bedroom and just float for a bit or be able to move around my room without touching the floor. I can remember it so perfectly. I even remember a time when I did it and my parents had company over. My aunt and Uncle were over. I remember thinking if I should go show everyone!
I have never spoken of this before
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26483554

Ditto, I have experienced that, but my memories of it are not vidid but rather vague.. "Did I or Didn't I, I could have sworn I did, but did I?"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 37274763
United States
04/12/2013 03:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
As a child I had a waking dream that I was in an extremely odd room. It reminded me of a cross between a hospital and a computer lab. I awoke kind of fuzzy. There were a few tall "people" around that were concerned and surprised that I woke up during my "programming". The was no hostility and almost a parental concern in their emotions which I could somehow read. The next thing I remember was traveling very quickly through some type of corridor or tunnel that was lit by an eerie light green light. The feelings and sensations of that experience have stuck with me for over 25 yrs.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34903921
United Kingdom
04/12/2013 03:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is going to sound so strange and I have never told anyone this but I have vivid memories as a child of being able to float (I guess that is what you would call it). I would jump up in my bedroom and just float for a bit or be able to move around my room without touching the floor. I can remember it so perfectly. I even remember a time when I did it and my parents had company over. My aunt and Uncle were over. I remember thinking if I should go show everyone!
I have never spoken of this before
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 26483554

That reminds me of being able to float down the stairs in our house as a small child. I mean, I would literally jump from a standing start above the top step and I would "land" in the hallway without having touched a single step. There is surely no physical way a small child could do that not to mention the dangers if it went wrong with solid walls and glass doors/windows around!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1667343
United States
04/12/2013 04:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
I had a person dressed as a clown or an Arlequin in front of my bed staring at me, i dont know if it was a dream or real, but until this day that is something i remember very well,then i call my mother and it disappeared.

wtf
 Quoting: alientool

A guy friend of mine saw something like that (evil clown)looking through his window when he was a kid (6-8 years old). Scared the crap out of him. He became afraid of clowns after that and even as an adult he doesn't like them. He figured it was a criminal/clown from an circus that stopped near town, but he doesn't knor for sure.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1667343
United States
04/12/2013 04:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
I used to play "The Floor Is Hot Lava", but that's only because I grew up poor and with a good imagination.
 Quoting: SteveWutabi

You too? It was one of our favorite games in doors to play .. and we would really get yelled by Ma for walking around on the furniture avoiding the 'lava' on the floor. Yes, grew up relatively poor and with great imaginations. The cool thing about having a great imagination is that it helps one to really discern what is imagination and what is not. And then when you see something that you know you have not imagined, well then you go.. WTF?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27972246

Yes, Hot Lava -- and sometimes the ocean with sharks!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34963435
United States
04/12/2013 04:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Saw the Easter bunny on Easter.

I think i must have been hallucinating.
 Quoting: numewenon

My husband saw the Easter Bunny walking down the hall. It turned to look at him. It freaked him the F* out, LOL. He was about 6 or 8 when it happened. He swears to me to this day that its true. I believe him, because I have seena few odd things myself -- though he never really believes me. Figures, right?
 Quoting: tandym

I remember seeing a lit up sleigh with reign deer attached to the front of it flying across the sky as a kid, me, my and sister were in the car in a parking lot and my dad saw it too, he pointed it out. And it was around Christmas time at the time. Not sure if a false memory or what, my dad just casually pointed it out, I didn't think anything of it at the time since I believed in Santa but thinking of it now, why would a grown man casually point out a lit up reindeer sleigh in the sky lol
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27071732
Hong Kong
04/12/2013 04:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
So glad this thread was created. I used to experience AIWS but did not know what it was until I saw this thread.
I would feel like everything around me was so small, when I looked my hands or feet they would appear to be far away, very odd feeling.
Also, as a kid I would sometimes feel like the world around me was muted somehow. Sounds were not crisp and it was as if I were observing life going on from a different reality, very hard to articulate the exact feeling. I would also have terrible feelings of dread come over me like something bad was going to happen but 99% of the time nothing did happen. I used to live in a house that was haunted by my grandfather, he died before I was born. His presence would scare the daylights out of me, my brother and sister. Many was the time I would jump from half way down the stairs to get away from what was behind me!!! One day I was in the upstairs toilet, must have been about 11 years old and there was an almighty pounding on the door which scared me so much that I stayed there for about 90 minutes at which point my mum, who was the only person in the house other than me came to find out where I was. I told her what had happened but she didn't say much really. We would always have things go missing only to turn up weeks later in a place that had been searched many times.
I also remember as a 5 year old I once saw what can only be described as a classic "white sheet ghost", the kind you see in some movies, at the end of my bed. I pulled the cover over my head and asked it what it wanted but got no answer. After a time I peeked out and it was gone.
Anyway, back to the haunting. None of us kids could stay in the house alone and would stay with friends if ever our parents were away. After my siblings moved out I was the only kid left there as a teenager when one day my mum asked If I had felt the presence recently. In fact I had not felt it for a few weeks at that point and she went on to tell me she had asked her father to leave me alone as he was frightening me. Why the heck she let it go on that long I do not know!!!
I had a few other strange things happen when I was young such as having a dream that I would see a guy at the local cub scout camp who was showing us how to use axes and knives. Sure enough when I got to this camp he was there, complete with all the badges on his shirt and a big grey beard just as I'd dreamt it. I can still see him in my minds eye as I think about it now.
Been great reading some of the experiences here hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34963435
United States
04/12/2013 04:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
When I was a kid 5-6 years old someone gave me a toy police car which runs on battery. I remember one evening when my sister and I was playing with that toy car, it started following us. This was not a remote control car, just a normal car which runs randomly. That whole evening, that car followed us where ever we go. When we walk, it ran slowly and when we ran, it increased its speed to keep up with us. Even when we walked in circle, it kept following us. It’s like playing chasing with us. We were laughing cause it was so fun. After an hour or so, one of its wheel got stuck into a hole on the road and broke. I tried to put it together again but can't. I was sad then but I thought I can buy another toy car just like that (thinking that the whole thing was normal). But I never saw another toy car like that ever since.

Until today, I am 30 years old now, I never seen any toy car like that. Every now and then I will ask my sister about that event just to make sure that I wasn't imagining thing and she told me it was real, that toy car really did followed us that whole evening. So the only explanation I can think of is that toy car was somehow possessed by some unknown forces or spirit.

P/S: I know there’s a lot of BS in this forum but this is not one of them. This is just one of the many strange events which happened in my life.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 36214395

Maybe the car had some sort of sensor, and sensed you guys, and thus followed you? Though if it only followed you around all day one time, might be safe to say it was possessed, just throwing a logical explanation in.
bargoose

User ID: 37923571
United Kingdom
04/12/2013 04:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've posted this experience before about 2 years back. Can't recall the thread.
When i was about 4 or 5, i often used to sit and stare at the light bulb (old type with tungsten filament). The filament was arranged in a C shape, like a horseshoe. I would stare at the burning filament and then close my eyes, and i could see the horseshoe shape with my eyes closed, burnt onto the retina of the eye i suppose. Works with any bright light.
Anyway i kept doing it and i heard "ping" "ping" at my side on the floor.
I looked, and there were two brass coloured horseshoes on the carpet! About the size of a coin, and they had "good luck" written on them. I seem to recall keeping them a while but don't know what became of them. I am convinced i did not dream this!
Can we have the power to manifest objects? As children i believe yes. And then we get dumbed down with all the bullshit that life offers, as well as being poisoned with flouride etc etc and any ability is quickly lost.
On the path of least resistance
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34903921
United Kingdom
04/12/2013 04:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
When i was about 4 or 5, i often used to sit and stare at the light bulb (old type with tungsten filament). The filament was arranged in a C shape, like a horseshoe. I would stare at the burning filament and then close my eyes, and i could see the horseshoe shape with my eyes closed, burnt onto the retina of the eye i suppose. Works with any bright light.
I looked, and there were two brass coloured horseshoes on the carpet! About the size of a coin, and they had "good luck" written on them. I seem to recall keeping them a while but don't know what became of them. I am convinced i did not dream this!
Can we have the power to manifest objects? As children i believe yes. And then we get dumbed down with all the bullshit that life offers, as well as being poisoned with flouride etc etc and any ability is quickly lost.
 Quoting: bargoose

Not directly related but I used to have real bad dreams/nightmares every time a filament bulb blew, but it was not like I was left in the dark or even afraid of the dark. (well other than when "paranormal" stuff was going on) I wonder if a blowing filament gives off strong emf's or something?
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/12/2013 05:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
i remember that in the first stages of trying to fall asleep, when i gazed at the blackness, and then suddenly feeling like my soul or point of view moved away from the first point within that blackness, it felt like the blackness had depth
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 37796287

You explain perfectly what I do almost every night. I try to focus on this as I fall asleep, to attempt to keep my mind awake/body asleep to induce sleep paralysis and astral projection.
 Quoting: KIP

Grab an After Image before turning of the light, and closing your eyes.. play with that after image.. learn to make it persist, changing its colors.. paint it with the colors you will it to have, add a second color, and a third.. at your conscious willful decision. Like the botton half green the top half blue with grey or white patches in the blue.. Zoom the 'scene' in and out.. animate the white patches.. you might find yourself not astral projection but your consciousness projecting out into the external physical realm even miles away..

If you ever learn how to control the sponteneous retinal waves and then can do the same with those waves as you have learned to do with the after images.. You will be getting to the point (I think...?) where you might be able to go OBE at will, anyplace, any time. This is what the ancient mystics seemed to have known.

Outside of the altered consciousness thing, there are in fact Real things happening Out There.. that is outside of your mind and body.. and some of them are these other unexplained experiences.

Personally, I think we need to set current Psychology on the shelf and go back to the branch William James, and start over... and explore further down the William James' branch of Psychology.. and Add in a pound of Penrose & Hammerof's Quantum Consciousness Theory.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27972246

Thank you for that. I will indeed attempt to utilize this technique and see where it leads.

bump

Believe me, should you ever find success with this it will totally blow your mind. It is not like the reports of Astral Project or even any other kind of OBE you will likely have heard up. The second time I did this, the first time that I was successful in deliberately doing this, in my 'out of body consciousness's body' I reach out and touched my wife on the shoulder. I was physically laying on the bed our bedroom.. Whne my out of body 'body's hand touched her on the shoulder she let out a scream, I snapped back into my physcial body and the bed and got up and left to roof and asked her what had happened.. She told me, that she had felt a hand on her shoulder and whipping around there was no one there. Then I knew something marvelous had been going on.
Pittsburgh

User ID: 9348542
United States
04/12/2013 06:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: bargoose

Yes, I believe we CAN manifest objects, and other realities in our visible surrounding. The science is called kriyashakti, I believe.
ming

User ID: 1597799
Sweden
04/12/2013 06:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Looking for others to describe similar experiences or other things that happened to them as a child that they remember yet still to this day cannot explain.

1dunno1

This is something that started when i was about 13, and continues to this day--

At thirteen years old, i was on a church youth retreat with a friend of mine. While walking outside at night, I noticed three or four consecutive streetlights extinguish when i passed by them. Now, this doesn't happen all the time, and seems to occur most often with lamps that are near their end-of-life.
Could a human body's electromagnetic field extend dozens of feet from its source and have some influence on these electronics?

I've also noticed (in the past, say late '90s) that occasionally computer programs wouldn't install correctly if i was sitting at the computer. If this happened, I would try to install again and leave the room, at which time the program would finish the install.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7130436

I have those sorts of problems, like I can't wear a traditional watch because they slow then stop. My aunt has the same thing and apparently it's known to be linked to epileptics (she has petit mal) I'm not epileptic though.
Out of this ugliness may come,
Some day, so beautiful a flower,
That men will wonder at that hour,
Remembering smoke and flowerless slum,
And ask-glimpsing the agony
Of the slaves who wrestle to be free-
'But why were all the poets dumb?'
-William Montgomerie

So many gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
While just the art of being kind
Is all the sad world needs.
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Zombie Jizzle

User ID: 37560557
United States
04/12/2013 06:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not as a child, but to me, unexplainable.

I swatted a wasp with a tea towel (spun round, as if to use for whipping someone), I got it with incredible force woth the tip of the towel.

The wasp just dissapeared.

Didn't see it leave the towel as I hit it.

It wasn't in the towel.

I turned the room inside out trying to find the body of the wasp.

It wasn't anywhere.

Literally drove me crazy trying to find it.

I can't explain it.

Did I hit it so hard that it vaporised?

It's quite odd, I think about it quite often, trying to work out some sort of explanation.
 Quoting: EverybodysNobody

I just had that very weirdness happen a couple a weeks ago.

I saw a beetle crawling on the window and when I got the fly swat and whacked it, it dissappeared from under the fly swat. Nothing there, nothing fell off the swat or window. I held the fly swat on the window to be sure I killed it but it was not under the fly swat. Nothing.
I am not your friend, but if I were, I'd sell you for a wooden nickle
UnionBuster
User ID: 26961254
United States
04/12/2013 06:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Actually laughed out loud. Thank you.

Interesting thread,by the way..

When I was a kid we went to Mt Rushmore.

I was small, in a stroller.

A fly landed on me and bit me.

So I said the fly bit me.

My aunt then started talking about flys not biting.

And I can remember thinking to myself...

WTF lady? It just happened. A fly just bit me, but it was too much to express as a child.
 Quoting: Metatron Phi
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34401077
United States
04/12/2013 09:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
About 6 or 8. Language slippages. I'd hear people speaking as if English was an unknown tounge to me.
Briefly, I couldn't understand anything they were saying.
 Quoting: T-Cain

My kids seem to suffer from this quite frequently (just kidding, I couldn't resist)

Seriously though, this is interesting as I have heard about it before. First thing that came to mind was regarding the past life experiment in a few posts above. It would make sense in that context.

Hmmm. Don't know if I believe in that whole past life thing.
Maybe it was faulty wiring in my brain where the language center is. It was very strange. It has never happened after those ages.
 Quoting: T-Cain

I don't know what I believe as far as past-lives are concerned

First time someone raised the subject with me as if it were fact, I overreacted and was angry, despite the other person was a close colleague and despite I was generally open-minded at least to the suggestion of most things

Afterwards I was embarrassed about my outburst. But remained angry

Angry not with my colleague but with the possibility we could be assaulted by another life. Because that's how I regarded it - assault

'How dare they'! Don't know why I suspected a 'they' and not an 'it' as responsible for putting people through successive lives - if in fact they do, of course

For years I scorned those clustered around the reincarnation shelves in book stores. Deluded fantasists, I thought

It was an unusual experience which compelled me to at least consider the possibility of reincarnation and led to my reluctantly decided I needed to at least take another look at it. Some books were scholarly, some trash. Some persuasive, others ridiculous

I'm still on the fence. I still strongly dislike that it's remotely possible we could be compelled to endure more than one life. And I state, very determinedly and usually angrily, ' I will not come back here. I will not. Do not ever send me here again or I'll kill before birth any future self you try to force me to be. I will not live again on this hell on earth'

The awful thing, to my mind at least, is that as you get older and mellow and reflect on life, the thought of coming back to 'do it differently and better next time' begins to insinuate itself into your mind. It's happened to my great surprise. I kick it out immediately, but I can see how seductive it might be to some. And it scares me to think I might fall for it at some point

The worst aspect, for me, is the suggestion we may have no control over it and might be forced back. I'm far from impressed by this earthly environment. Any of us could create a world more kind, more just than what we're living through here. Which causes me to distrust the motives of anything that would compel us to live here once, let alone repeatedly

Reincarnation may be gobblydegook of course

I remain on the fence
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 37814738

You might even consider that we choose to do this. That our perspective once we leave our bodies might be a little different than it is when we are here and we know we are doing it for our own good or whatever the heck reason it is that we keep coming back for more (if that is indeed what happens)
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/12/2013 09:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
3 things:

one, when I was preschool,I put a toy soldier in a leather briefcase pocket and when I reached in it was gone and I never saw it again.

two, later as a very small preschool child I crawled into a parents bed at night because I was scared, and while snuggling up behind them I was stunned to see an eye open up and look at me from the back of their head.

Later while away in another state spending the summer on a farm, I was handed some halloween spooky bubblegum cards, after which I started having disturbing nightmares. When I told the people I was staying with, they said the cards were evil and they took and destroyed them, and everything went back to normal. This was when I had no real concept of good or evil.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1445809

Holy crap, that's creepy scared
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/12/2013 09:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP You kinda sound like your fishing to catch some MK ultra candidates....

Many know this site was set up by the CIA to look for lost people with paranormal/psi abilities.
(because all the files were destroyed).
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1757708

CIA probably does look for that, but these are some pretty amazing stories, am loving reading them.
Lyn
User ID: 27420908
United States
04/12/2013 09:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
-early 80's
-playing with toy figures on floor of room
-consciously aware of "time slowing" down

Very hard to describe. I will answer "serious questions" regarding these experiences.

Looking for others to describe similar experiences or other things that happened to them as a child that they remember yet still to this day cannot explain.

1dunno1

When i was about five i remember seeing an alien being. He was small and whitish almost clear. He was friendly and told me to get on his shoulders and he was running up and down the stairs. My mom found me laughing in the hallway.
Zombie Jizzle

User ID: 37560557
United States
04/12/2013 09:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
I pulled fire alarms when I was 6.

Loved all the sirens, truck noise and firemen running up to the fire box and me standing there looking scared shitless. I did it many times and the firemen got to know me so well they knew where I lived and when I pulled the fire alarm, again, I would run home and hide under the bed and fall asleep as they knocked on the door and my momma answered it.
I am not your friend, but if I were, I'd sell you for a wooden nickle
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 37734584
United States
04/12/2013 09:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP:

I think this is the type of experience you were hoping to here about:

When I was four years old, my grandpa was walking me down the sidewalk to go to the store. I saw a bunch of kids ahead. and all of a sudden, I knew exactly what they were going to say to each other when we passed them.

It was like we passed through them, then time slowed down, and somehow we passed through them again. I still remember it to this day. Total de javu.
U3

User ID: 9834739
United States
04/12/2013 09:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
I knew some things that were going to happen before they happened.

Last Edited by ERE3 on 04/12/2013 10:43 PM
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/12/2013 10:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
of course time seemed slower when you were a kid, half of you are nuts. think about it: your total time of reference grows with each day. when you're 10, you only have 10 years total in your memory banks, and half again of that which you can actually remember clearly. when you're 50, you have 50 years total, and 45 you can remember. thus a second is a much larger proportion of your total time on earth when you're younger, than it is once you start getting considerably older. that's my take on this issue.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16648993

yes, that's true, but that's not what some of these people were talking about.
DPoo

User ID: 33454159
United States
04/13/2013 01:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Do any of you with odd stories know if you have family members that were Masonic lodge members?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29017763

plenty of odd stories from childhood and later and my great grandfather founded the Masonic lodge in a large-ish city in the east..why do you ask?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24978048
United States
04/13/2013 01:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
When I was 8 years old I dreamnt that I was standing outside the local funeral home and everyone was crying. I had no clue who had died and my fathers brother was there and he took my hand and led me inside to the open casket. My father was in the casket. I was shocked and very upset to say the least because I was very close to my father. The one thing that stuck with me was a funeral spray with two fake doves stuck on it.

I never told anyone about the dream. My father took his life when I was 18 and his funeral was at the same funeral chapel that had been in my dream. Granted I grew up in a small town and there were not many funeral chaples there but the kicker is my two cousins set a spray with two fake doves stuck on it. I've never seen another spray like it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 36583121
United States
04/13/2013 01:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have three. Pretty mild compared to some of the stuff I've read here (great creepy reading btw) but here goes:

Once I woke up very suddenly very early in the morning. I was sleeping on my stomach, and jerked up my head to stare straight into my own eyes. I saw my own face except that it was all lit up in patches, staring back at me directly into my eyes, a multi-colored patchwork face, kind of in glowing pastel colors. It was very vivid, very clear. I tried to draw it later, but I couldn't quite get it; all the colors were kind of melting into one another and were blurry, but separate, and yet my features were quite distinct. I ran into my parents' room screaming. Maybe that was just a dream, but I've always suspected I caught my soul coming back into my body after being out wandering. The next one is a little harder to explain.

I was about 9, maybe 10. My whole family (including a young cousin about 5, who was sitting directly next to me on the couch) was in the living room watching a Disney movie on our brand-new VCR, which was still a marvel back then. We were watching Dumbo -- I remember this quite clearly. I had to go pee, so I got up from the couch to go to the bathroom. I was heading towards the kids' bathroom, which was down the hall and around the corner, when suddenly I got very dizzy, so I turned abruptly into my parents' room and sat down on the edge of their waterbed (this was the early 80s) until it passed. I remember rising from the couch and walking down the hall, then getting dizzy, going into my parents' room and sitting down on the water bed, very vividly. I felt the hard edge of the wooden frame against the back of my legs, and I saw the shadows in the room and the light in the hall and everything. But suddenly there was this piercing scream right in my ear and I was sitting right in my 5-year-old cousin's lap. I had not moved even a step. I asked everyone about it and they hadn't noticed a thing. Maybe it was a hallucination, maybe not.

This third one is even harder to explain. I have this only from my parents, as I don't remember it. I guess this happened when I was about 18 months and had been walking for about 8 months (I was an early walker, in fact I learned to walk before I learned to crawl). This would have been in the early 70s (Gawds, I'm old). We were living in an apartment in Santa Monica, and according to my parents, one day, as a record was playing (no idea which one) and I was dancing, I suddenly stopped dancing, looked at the blank wall above the record player, started to cry, and ran out of the room. My parents didn't think much about it at first, but then I stopped being willing to walk through the living room alone (you had to walk through the LR to get to the kitchen).

Before, I'd always done so. After, if my mom or dad was in the kitchen and I wanted them, instead of just walking through the LR like I'd always done, I'd stand at the edge of the LR and call, look at the blank wall, and cry. One of them would come to get me and I wouldn't walk -- I'd demand to be carried and whimper and cry and cling to them, always staring at the wall, until I got to the kitchen, where I was fine.

It got to the point that they called an elder in their religion to find out what to do, and after his first visit, he said on no account to ever leave me alone in the apartment, and gave them a few spiritual cleansing prayers to try. A few weeks later, when my parents' efforts to do their own cleansing hadn't worked and I was still freaking out, they asked him to do a cleansing, which he did. After that, it stopped and I was fine. Later, they asked me what I'd seen, and I said it was an eye. Again, I have no conscious memory of this, but both my parents told me the same story.

I still wonder what it was I saw. I've often been tempted to go through hypnosis to find out... but having been through one horrific past life regression, I think, on the whole, I don't want to know.

I also remember my older cousin (not the one I sat on) telling me that once she'd been able to fly, and describing to me very vivid images of lifting off her street corner. She said she did this many times. Then, she told me, she told my aunt about it. Her mom said people can't fly, and that was the end of it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30742855
United States
04/13/2013 02:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.erowid.org]

Scroll down to 8.2.1 The Dissociative Spiral

Very close account to what I experienced on a regular basis between about 5 to 8 years old.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12941282
United States
04/13/2013 02:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
when i was about 3 or 4, i had this very strange experience. i was standing at the top of the stair case in our house. all of a sudden i felt compelled to jump, so i did. i slowly floated all the way down to the bottom. excited by this i went to go show my sister who is a few years older than me, but when i tried doing it again i was too afraid.

GLP