Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,516 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 110,187
Pageviews Today: 193,923Threads Today: 81Posts Today: 1,400
01:55 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Transcending the ego, or enlightenment. Have you experienced or glimpsed this?

Marie
User ID: 32913103
United States
04/12/2013 07:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Transcending the ego, or enlightenment. Have you experienced or glimpsed this?
I know a lot of people seek this state, but you don't see a lot of personal accounts. I can say I've glimpsed this state, only to be sucked back into some emotional drama that I begin to identify with and find myself adrift in ego land. I recently had a very difficult heart breaking breakup that GLP helped me with, and it has lead me back into serious meditation and seeking God as my primary goal. It's funny how it takes being brought down so low before we make this a priority. But that is the ego I guess.

So any stories to share? What types of meditation or spiritual practice do you use to seek God/enlightenment? Have you reached this?
Marie (OP)
United States
04/12/2013 07:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Transcending the ego, or enlightenment. Have you experienced or glimpsed this?
One exercise I use that has helped a lot and came to me during a really anxious and hard time was, I imagined I was a spiritual being viewing myself and circumstances from above, then I made the choice to enter "my" body and feel and see, and experience it all. I would approach and feel it all as brand new, as something I chose to experience in full awareness.

It's a great short cut into learning true mindfulness and conscious living.
Life and Love

User ID: 36559246
United States
04/12/2013 07:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Transcending the ego, or enlightenment. Have you experienced or glimpsed this?
5* for starting a thread on this topic.

I have had a few glimpses - too few!!

But the art of "ungrasping" takes a lifetime to perfect.
We become like that to which we are devoted. - Choose wisely.
Marie (OP)
United States
04/13/2013 12:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you..anybody else?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9645738
United States
04/13/2013 01:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Once, walking down the street when I was 4 years old I started (for some reason)saying out loud, "I'm really here! I'm really HERE!" Suddenly life became like a lucid dream. I was the Dreamer, immortal, and everywhere. It only lasted a minute or so and I tried to recapture the experience for several weeks. I finally did about 25 years later under the influence of strong drugs meditating with a friend. I was floating above my body and I felt I could make my life happen any way I wanted.
Look up non-dualism, Advaita/Vedanta.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31481804
United States
04/13/2013 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Many experiences with God.

It can take years, or possibly lifetimes, to reach enlightenment.

I suspect all it is entering the birth canal into a higher mode of existance. We are just half formed embryos here.
spiritwarrior7
User ID: 37875454
United States
04/13/2013 01:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes, I had an awakening while driving home from work.
It was very powerful and frightening.
I cried because I did not understand at the time what was
happening. Since then I have been on a journey of learning.
That is why we are here. To grow, and share of ourselves.
Meditative prayer will allow connection to the ONE that we
are all a part of, come from. and shall return to. Amen.
701st

User ID: 37963420
Poland
04/13/2013 01:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
"Meditation really is a complete emptying of the mind. Then there is only functioning of the body; there is only the activity of the organism and nothing else; then thought functions without identification as the me and the non-me. Thought is mechanical, as is the organism. What creates conflict is thought identifying itself with one of its parts which becomes the me, the self and the various divisions in that self. There is no need for the self at any time. There is nothing but the body, and freedom of the mind can only happen when thought is not breeding the me. There is no self to understand but only the thought which creates the self. When there is only the organism without the self , perception, both visual and non-visual can never be distorted. There is only seeing 'what is' and that very perception goes beyond what is. The emptying of the mind is not an activity of thought or an intellectual process. The continuous seeing of what is without any kind of distortion naturally empties the mind of all thought and yet that very mind can use thought when it is necessary. Thought is mechanical and meditation is not."

[link to www.krishnamurtiaustralia.org]

FWIW I have never found wiser words... never been there myself though

good luck :)
numewenon

User ID: 25749597
Canada
04/13/2013 01:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
I had a very good glimpse of this.

I smoked some marijuana and Then I stared at a bottle of water for 30 minutes straight. During this time I began to not "recognize" my own living room. It was more like seeing my living room from neutral eyes, without judgement. I knew it was "my" living room, but that very thought was neutral as well. Every so often I would get back into thinking normally and panic, but then finally I decided to give in to the experience.

The experience climaxed with my whole being "dissolving" into a fractal vortex thing. There was very weird imagery and digital-like musical tones. It was not really beautiful; it was more "quirky" than anything. I felt like I was spending forever (literally) in this vortex. However, I somehow (obviously) returned to normal reality. It felt like what I imagine it would be like to be born again.

When I returned, I was not really here. I was watching "myself" (what I assume to be my ego) operating completely independently of "my" control. She was saying all the things she would have said if i were "operating" her, but it seemed so automatic. I also felt the feelings, but more so as an observer. I cannot describe this very well with earthly words, but I guess the best analogy would be watching your own life through a glass window, listening to it with speakers, and feel, tasting, and smelling it through some sort of filter that was completely detached from the real me.

It was scaring the shit out of my ego. She was panicking like crazy. She was yelling at everyone in the room, telling everyone what just happened and that "Holy fuck! Everyone has 2 people inside them". I guess that is the conclusion my brain drew? *shrug*

It was not my panic though. I didn't really care. I just felt a nice dreamy feeling most of the time.

I finally caught back up with my ego, however, and joined in the panic. Everyone told me that I looked oxygen deprived. I stumbled into the kitchen to gulp down water. I then laid on the couch and felt super fucked up for a while.

After a while my high went away and I was normal me again.

That's my experience.
numewenon

Canada
04/13/2013 01:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have also been reflecting on this "trip" every day of my life since then. I know I am separate from my ego. I just cannot find a way to separate again. I feel this is the most important lesson of my life.

I have been since led to living mindfully, living in the now, or whatever. I feel like my experience was highly related. I feel that if I could grasp this ego loss again, and more elegantly, I could live peacefully forever.

music
numewenon

Canada
04/13/2013 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
"Meditation really is a complete emptying of the mind. Then there is only functioning of the body; there is only the activity of the organism and nothing else; then thought functions without identification as the me and the non-me. Thought is mechanical, as is the organism. What creates conflict is thought identifying itself with one of its parts which becomes the me, the self and the various divisions in that self. There is no need for the self at any time. There is nothing but the body, and freedom of the mind can only happen when thought is not breeding the me. There is no self to understand but only the thought which creates the self. When there is only the organism without the self , perception, both visual and non-visual can never be distorted. There is only seeing 'what is' and that very perception goes beyond what is. The emptying of the mind is not an activity of thought or an intellectual process. The continuous seeing of what is without any kind of distortion naturally empties the mind of all thought and yet that very mind can use thought when it is necessary. Thought is mechanical and meditation is not."

[link to www.krishnamurtiaustralia.org]

FWIW I have never found wiser words... never been there myself though

good luck :)
 Quoting: 701st

And before last year, this would have never made sense to me. Now it makes perfect sense.
numewenon

Canada
04/13/2013 01:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
5* for starting a thread on this topic.

I have had a few glimpses - too few!!

But the art of "ungrasping" takes a lifetime to perfect.
 Quoting: Life and Love

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Once, walking down the street when I was 4 years old I started (for some reason)saying out loud, "I'm really here! I'm really HERE!" Suddenly life became like a lucid dream. I was the Dreamer, immortal, and everywhere. It only lasted a minute or so and I tried to recapture the experience for several weeks. I finally did about 25 years later under the influence of strong drugs meditating with a friend. I was floating above my body and I felt I could make my life happen any way I wanted.
Look up non-dualism, Advaita/Vedanta.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9645738

Children definatley have less ego to resist hehe.

Yes, I had an awakening while driving home from work.
It was very powerful and frightening.
I cried because I did not understand at the time what was
happening. Since then I have been on a journey of learning.
That is why we are here. To grow, and share of ourselves.
Meditative prayer will allow connection to the ONE that we
are all a part of, come from. and shall return to. Amen.
 Quoting: spiritwarrior7 37875454

It really sends you on a journey doesn't it? I was thrown crazily into my journey. I feel removed from it now though. I need to get back to it.

Last Edited by numewenon on 04/13/2013 01:43 PM
701st

Poland
04/13/2013 01:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

And before last year, this would have never made sense to me. Now it makes perfect sense.
 Quoting: numewenon

Strange thing is it makes perfect sense to me without having any "experiences"... I would like to have a glimpse if only once dammit LOL
numewenon

Canada
04/13/2013 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Maybe you haven't had it because you already see it. I was literally PUSHED into the swimming pool by marijuana.

Don't get me wrong, I have always questioned the meaning of life and such... but I did not know the answer was so... right there... always. It is logical too. That is why you can understand it without experiencing it.. although experiencing it seems to be something else all together. because I can only describe it using human made analogies.
truthandrevolution7
User ID: 27379726
United States
04/13/2013 03:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
The white light

I have transcended the ego and superego. Its gonna sound odd when I say this but I did it with the help of acid. I went through something called an ego death during the trip and when I came back to reality I saw life through different eyes. Everything was tinted white and everything was perfect beautiful and peaceful and it was clear that love was the answer to every piece of lifes mysteries. Take it foe what it is but no sober person can ascend consciously as high as I did without the help of acid. I went through an extremely bad trip to come out on top of the world. I could never truly explain what I saw and how perfect everything was but the white light is something only 3% of people who trip on acid reach. I like to call what I reached that one time...christ consciousness
Marie (OP)
United States
04/13/2013 03:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some really interesting experiences. I find my ego majorly panics when I become too aware. Not sure ill get thru that panic but I'm trying.

Now when I was around 9, I saw several orbs in person. Back then the term wasn't even used that I knew of. They were bright white light, about the size of a basketball and above me. It scared me sooo much. Even now I would question the memory but an adult with me saw them also. Many years later I saw a documentary on tv that talked about orbs. I freaked and said THAT'S what I saw!! Now I don't know what they were, but I can say that experience gave me hope there was more to this existence at some very low and dark times.
701st

Poland
04/13/2013 05:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
One exercise I use that has helped a lot and came to me during a really anxious and hard time was, I imagined I was a spiritual being viewing myself and circumstances from above, then I made the choice to enter "my" body and feel and see, and experience it all. I would approach and feel it all as brand new, as something I chose to experience in full awareness.

Quoting: Marie 32913103

It's just my random thoughts but maybe it'd help us to imagine -in a similar way- that all of us are part of ONE spiritual being and view the Earth and its circumstances before we make a choice to enter our bodies again?
the white rose

User ID: 108824
United States
04/13/2013 08:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
IT IS MY WILL THY WILL BE DONE

AT ONE MENT OF FATHER AND SON

the white rose
Marie (OP)
United States
04/13/2013 11:23 PM
Report Abusive Post

It's just my random thoughts but maybe it'd help us to imagine -in a similar way- that all of us are part of ONE spiritual being and view the Earth and its circumstances before we make a choice to enter our bodies again?

I've also thought this. It's a fascinating thought. The mystery of all that can be is so full of wonder. Wonder is something we should never lose.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14434016
United States
04/13/2013 11:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes, I have.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2539070
United States
04/13/2013 11:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
once you perceive the distinction between the observer and the "observed", you can't really unsee it

the whole world is basically a game and everyone is acting

either you are aware of it, or you aren't
numewenon

Canada
04/14/2013 06:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Some really interesting experiences. I find my ego majorly panics when I become too aware. Not sure ill get thru that panic but I'm trying.

Now when I was around 9, I saw several orbs in person. Back then the term wasn't even used that I knew of. They were bright white light, about the size of a basketball and above me. It scared me sooo much. Even now I would question the memory but an adult with me saw them also. Many years later I saw a documentary on tv that talked about orbs. I freaked and said THAT'S what I saw!! Now I don't know what they were, but I can say that experience gave me hope there was more to this existence at some very low and dark times.

Panicing means you're getting close. That ego does not want to let go.

You literally have to let go of "yourself". That's what it feels like you are doing anyway. Just stop caring. Stop worrying about the unknown. Nothing can happen... rather nothing can't happen because nothing does not exist. The panic is fear of death. There is no death, just separation (or something).
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6188769
United States
04/14/2013 06:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
The most egotistical thing a person can do is believe that he has or he can transcend his ego completely.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10174571
Switzerland
04/14/2013 06:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
I know a lot of people seek this state, but you don't see a lot of personal accounts. I can say I've glimpsed this state, only to be sucked back into some emotional drama that I begin to identify with and find myself adrift in ego land. I recently had a very difficult heart breaking breakup that GLP helped me with, and it has lead me back into serious meditation and seeking God as my primary goal. It's funny how it takes being brought down so low before we make this a priority. But that is the ego I guess.

So any stories to share? What types of meditation or spiritual practice do you use to seek God/enlightenment? Have you reached this?

hf
numewenon

Canada
04/14/2013 06:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
The most egotistical thing a person can do is believe that he has or he can transcend his ego completely.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6188769

But what if you're not thinking?
numewenon

Canada
04/14/2013 06:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why do people give fun threads like this a bad rating?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26795689
United States
04/14/2013 07:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Right now I'm reading books about outer-body-experiences and working on training myself to induce/experience them at will during meditation. It's' going to take quite a bit of practice but I'm up for the challenge.

cool2
Smegmatus Rancidosis
User ID: 32009074
United States
04/14/2013 07:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
No such thing as forsaking the ego or "transcending" it. If ego wasn't part of nature, DNA programming, the soul or personality essence, we wouldn't be born with one. The key is in being able to keep the ego in check, being balanced, honest, humble enough. Too many egos are anywhere from overblown to out-of-control to beyond monstrous, as in that which rules the existing political world. Religion - not to be confused with spirituality - is the original and biggest malevolent force behind problematic egos.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1540638
United States
04/14/2013 07:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ego is a natural product of time and place mattering a lot.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24760791
Thailand
04/14/2013 07:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
After a while my high went away and I was normal me again.
 Quoting: numewenon

Nope, you have it backwards. The normal you was the observer. The experience you've been drawn back into now, is the illusion.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24760791
Thailand
04/14/2013 07:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
No such thing as forsaking the ego or "transcending" it. If ego wasn't part of nature, DNA programming, the soul or personality essence, we wouldn't be born with one. The key is in being able to keep the ego in check, being balanced, honest, humble enough. Too many egos are anywhere from overblown to out-of-control to beyond monstrous, as in that which rules the existing political world. Religion - not to be confused with spirituality - is the original and biggest malevolent force behind problematic egos.
 Quoting: Smegmatus Rancidosis 32009074

Haha, no.

Your little belief here is just the ego trying to maintain control and stay alive. You like to tell yourself that the ego is just needs to be a better ego.

Sorry, that's not "the key."

GLP