Breaking: Rat Meat Sold as Lamb!

weird world
User ID: 39271031
Italy
05/03/2013 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Breaking: Rat Meat Sold as Lamb!
Chinese police have broken up a criminal ring accused of taking meat from rats and foxes and selling it as lamb in the country's latest food safety scandal.

The Ministry of Public Security released results of a three-month crackdown on food safety violators, saying in a statement that authorities investigated more than 380 cases and arrested 904 suspects.

Among those arrested were 63 people who allegedly ran an operation in Shanghai and the coastal city of Wuxi that bought fox, mink, rat and other meat that had not been tested for quality and safety, processed it with additives like gelatin and passed it off as lamb.

The meat was sold to farmers' markets in Jiangsu province and Shanghai, it said.

Despite years of food scandals—from milk contaminated with an industrial chemical to the use of industrial dyes in eggs—China has been unable to clean up its food supply chain.

The announcement came as China's top court on Friday issued guidelines calling for harsher punishment for making and selling unsafe food products in the latest response to tainted food scandals that have angered the public.

The Supreme People's Court said the guidelines will list as crimes specific acts such as the sale of food excessively laced with chemicals or made from animals that have died from disease or unknown causes.

China's penal code, which forbids unsafe and poisonous food, does not specify what acts are considered in violation of the law.

Adulterating baby food so that it severely lacks nutrition is also punishable as a crime under the guidelines. Negligent government food inspectors are also targeted for criminal punishment.

The supreme court said 2,088 people were prosecuted in 2010-2012 in 1,533 food safety cases. It said the number of such cases has grown exponentially in recent years. For example, Chinese courts prosecuted 861 cases of poisonous food in 2012, compared with 80 cases in 2010.

"The situation is really grave and has indeed caused great harm to the people," Pei Xianding, a supreme court judge, told a news conference.

"We cannot tolerate it any longer. We must punish the criminals severely, or we cannot answer to our people," Pei said.

source:
[link to www.cnbc.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 39083099
Spain
05/03/2013 03:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Breaking: Rat Meat Sold as Lamb!
I pay for ram, but get lat.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1691552
United States
05/03/2013 03:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
must be some tasty rat
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 39332078
Italy
05/04/2013 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
tdownheadlessch
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 38818632
United Kingdom
05/04/2013 08:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Its not the fact that its rat, its because the food was labled incorrectly.
charlie
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 39328352
Australia
05/04/2013 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Fat Tony at it again
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27945631
Canada
05/04/2013 08:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
gross! I would never eat meat of any kind from China or any Chinese market in Canada. Who knows what kind of meat it could be (cat, dog, rat or other rodent meat???)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 39332078
Italy
05/04/2013 09:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
gross! I would never eat meat of any kind from China or any Chinese market in Canada. Who knows what kind of meat it could be (cat, dog, rat or other rodent meat???)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27945631

Brilliant but do you know how many foods contains meat imported somewhere in the world and china is a big meat exporter for food products factories? are you able to exclude that the canadian food you buy containing meat does not contain that meat? tounge
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27945631
Canada
05/04/2013 09:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 27945631

Brilliant but do you know how many foods contains meat imported somewhere in the world and china is a big meat exporter for food products factories? are you able to exclude that the canadian food you buy containing meat does not contain that meat? tounge
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 39332078

I rarely eat meat to start with. I certainly would NEVER eat meat in a foreign country I travelled to. Especially China! I would be eating food I packed from home.

GLP