Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,583 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 92,611
Pageviews Today: 168,407Threads Today: 56Posts Today: 1,156
02:16 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

If I Ever Met an Alien Who wanted To Become Human...

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 37911029
Hong Kong
05/19/2013 01:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
If I Ever Met an Alien Who wanted To Become Human...
I don't believe that aliens exist, but as a thought experiment, I wondered what I would do if I ever met an alien who wanted to become human.

Here is what I would tell the alien:

"First off, don't do it. If you do, you will find yourself enveloped in never-ending emotional and mental pain, much of it visited upon you by others.

If you become a male human, and you are physically unattractive, you will find yourself unable to mate, and you will be ignored, treated as invisible, and rejected at every turn, often cruelly, by members of the female sex. The emotional and mental pain this causes will be worse than, and unlike any pain you have ever known, and it will follow you constantly and give you no peace.

You may even find that your unattractiveness is such that family members want little or nothing to do you with you, and that you have no close friends, and none who want to be a friend. You will find that your unattractiveness prevents you from getting good jobs or promotions, because nobody takes ugly people seriously."

Personally, I wish I had been born an alien rather than human. Or better still, that I hadn't been born at all. I'm taking steps to remove myself from this horrible life permanently, and I can't wait to go.
KonspiracyKitty

User ID: 1295140
United States
05/19/2013 01:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: If I Ever Met an Alien Who wanted To Become Human...
I'm taking steps to remove myself from this horrible life permanently, and I can't wait to go.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 37911029

I understand what you're saying, life does suck. As the Buddhists say: Life is suffering. We are all very unlucky that we were born.

However, you can't take steps to end your own live without contributing to the suffering, both of yourself and more importantly of others.

Furthermore, we do not know what's on the other side. I'm not a member of any religion, but I do recognize there's a .0001% chance one of them might be right. Pretty much all religions say bad things happen to people who commit suicide. If living through another 60 or so sucky years can help stave of the chance, no matter how small, of living an eternity of unimaginable suckiness, you gotta stick around. This is temporary. We don't know if what's on the other side is temporary too though.

Don't risk it, not worth it.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 37911029
Hong Kong
05/19/2013 09:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm taking steps to remove myself from this horrible life permanently, and I can't wait to go.

I understand what you're saying, life does suck. As the Buddhists say: Life is suffering. We are all very unlucky that we were born.

However, you can't take steps to end your own live without contributing to the suffering, both of yourself and more importantly of others.

Furthermore, we do not know what's on the other side. I'm not a member of any religion, but I do recognize there's a .0001% chance one of them might be right. Pretty much all religions say bad things happen to people who commit suicide. If living through another 60 or so sucky years can help stave of the chance, no matter how small, of living an eternity of unimaginable suckiness, you gotta stick around. This is temporary. We don't know if what's on the other side is temporary too though.

Don't risk it, not worth it.
 Quoting: KonspiracyKitty

Interesting logic. I'm supposed to stick around because there's a 0.0001% chance I'll go to some sort of hell if I don't. That presupposes the existence of a sadistic, vengeful creator who wants his creations to suffer, and if they opt not to suffer, to punish them severely for not accepting that arrangement. That doesn't square with the idea that most religions try to get across, which is that a creator is merciful and just.

The flip side of your argument is that there is also a 0.0001% chance that I'll go to heaven if I stick it out.

Those aren't good enough odds for me either way.

As for the idea that others will suffer if I kill myself, then what about the fact that others around me don't care enough about me to be concerned about my suffering? Isn't that a kind of reverse transference of pain? I mean, it's like, "We don't care about your suffering, but in turn you must not make us suffer."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20906040
United States
05/19/2013 09:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
I don't believe that aliens exist, but as a thought experiment, I wondered what I would do if I ever met an alien who wanted to become human.

Here is what I would tell the alien:

"First off, don't do it. If you do, you will find yourself enveloped in never-ending emotional and mental pain, much of it visited upon you by others.

If you become a male human, and you are physically unattractive, you will find yourself unable to mate, and you will be ignored, treated as invisible, and rejected at every turn, often cruelly, by members of the female sex. The emotional and mental pain this causes will be worse than, and unlike any pain you have ever known, and it will follow you constantly and give you no peace.

You may even find that your unattractiveness is such that family members want little or nothing to do you with you, and that you have no close friends, and none who want to be a friend. You will find that your unattractiveness prevents you from getting good jobs or promotions, because nobody takes ugly people seriously."

Personally, I wish I had been born an alien rather than human. Or better still, that I hadn't been born at all. I'm taking steps to remove myself from this horrible life permanently, and I can't wait to go.

How do you know its better to be alien?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 40088165
United States
05/19/2013 10:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
I never wanted to become human...but I did anyways (came to this planet looking for someone). The pain is unimaginable, but not for the reasons you think. Yes, there is great emotional and mental pain, but humans aren't the only ones to have these.

For one, this form is like a vise - it's actually physically painful to exist in this body, let alone actually make it hurt via exercise or hard work.

For another, for the first time I can ever remember in my immortal life, I am utterly alone, cut off both physically and telepathically from everyone I love with no way of reaching them. :( And it's been that way since I got here, a long, long time ago (thousands of reincarnations - something else I never experienced before coming here - back).

I don't want you to feel bad when I say this, as it doesn't reflect at all on your species (we are simply incompatible in every way) - but it was a mistake for me to come here and become one of you. I gave up so much coming here - and have since gave everything else that I didn't before up as well - and now I don't even know if I can ever leave again.

I know you said you don't believe in aliens - but here's one right here talking to you.

I won't try to dissuade you from your plan - in the long run, all life is eternal, so if you do choose to take your life I have one bit of advice: try to fly off the planet. Go anywhere else, reincarnate anywhere else if you can...you, like I, are in sore need of a rest and recovery. hugs

GLP