Yinse
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 36264732
Canada
05/22/2013 01:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Need a little computer HELP! please
Hey i know this is a little off topic but i know there are a couple of you out there with the answer that are nice enough to reply.

I have a recently bought computer, quad core3ghz, 3.5gigz ram, 1gig graphics memory.

Problem is about half a year ago the internet kind of stopped working on it, like it works, but it doesn't, internet explore has a god awful time trying to load the most simple site like this one, but Firefox loads if fine, but then if i try to load a site with flash or a bit more customized layout, internet explore has no god damn chance in hell of loading in, and Firefox will load half way, until i decide to go to another webpage, then it will instantly fully load then 'try' to load the new webpage i directed it too again. I can't connect to Microsoft live updates

((""I HAVE MULTIPLE PC'S/Devices that USE the internet, my internet is NOT the problem :) i know how to reset my router THANKS :) lol""))

so i reformatted, didn't work
then i reformatted again onto a different OS (Windows 8, was previously on Windows 7) didn't work, so i went back to Windows 7 in some fucken dumb hope, DIDN'T WORK, then i went to Windows XP, still doesn't work.

Right now i'm stuck on windows xp, all the drivers are PROPERLY installed, but it still shits on my face...
half loads every page (except this one WOOT) and then shits on me when i go to another.

btw i have 75gigs/s download so its not my internet speed ;)

The computer guy down the streets says its probably something to do with my network card, but i'm pretty sure it's built into my motherboard and my motherboard still works fine

HEEELP MEEEE PLEEEASEE!!!

ahhh

Last Edited by Yinse on 05/22/2013 02:20 PM
i'm here to debate, not argue
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 941862
United States
05/22/2013 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Need a little computer HELP! please
If you move from Canada to Mexico, it should fix your problem.
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 01:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Please Mexicans have the worst ping on COD
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16361770
New Zealand
05/22/2013 01:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
5a 75gigs/s download
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 40295596
United Kingdom
05/22/2013 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Sounds to me that you may have got two browsers competing against each other,ie explorer and firefox,have you got it all set up corectly regarding the default browser,search engine options etc?

No expert just trying to help.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17617580
United Kingdom
05/22/2013 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
when you say recent, how recent?

still under warranty?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4452679
United Kingdom
05/22/2013 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
check java is up to date and not clashing with browsers
Unixlike

User ID: 39992978
United States
05/22/2013 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
It does sound like a hardware issue. If it was anything else a reinstall (with updates) would have fixed it.

You might figure out what card you have and do a search for others with your problem. See what they have to say.

Last Edited by Unixlike on 05/22/2013 02:00 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25778268
United States
05/22/2013 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Try another ISP or a known good computer on your ISP
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
yeahh.... i can't even install the updates though, i can install the drivers but the connection to the internet isn't strong enough for the updates.

No warranty, bought it second hand, i'm wondering if i should pay a service fee for the guy down the street to see if he can fix it, then fix it for another 40 dollar network card or something, or just sell it saying there is a problem with the internet, network card
FCL

User ID: 1306187
United States
05/22/2013 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
put in a 2nd network card ... configure your system to run off that card.
zombie dance instructor

when rainbows fill the sky ... you WILL remember your heart

You cannot harm me ... you cannot harm one who has dreamed a dream like mine

Pleased to meet you ... Mr. Garibaldi

Something's got to stop the flow ...( ink )
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Try another ISP or a known good computer on your ISP
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25778268

all my computers work fine

i can watch netflix in HD on 2 of my computer while downloading at 4mb a second on each, while watch netflix in hd on both my xbox's, while my mom streams tv on her laptop... and experience ZERO LAG MWAHAHAHAHA

so yeah its something to do with this computer itself
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: FCL

ok, even if i get the network working again on it, i'm selling it anyways to make room for a better computer

so should i just sell this computer with the listed problem take off like 50 bucks?

or spend 40-100 bucks trying to figure out the problem / fix / sell it, i might loss money?
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Unplug your router and modem or whatever equipment you use to access the internet...wait 5 minutes and power it back up.
 Quoting: Chip

your just making fun of yourself with that suggestion
clappa
of fack i'm still laughing, i had to even edit this in, what a blast

Last Edited by Yinse on 05/22/2013 02:11 PM
Limey
User ID: 15623572
United Kingdom
05/22/2013 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey i know this is a little off topic but i know there are a couple of you out there with the answer that are nice enough to reply.

I have a recently bought computer, quad core3ghz, 3.5gigz ram, 1gig graphics memory.

Problem is about half a year ago the internet kind of stopped working on it, like it works, but it doesn't, internet explore has a god awful time trying to load the most simple site like this one, but Firefox loads if fine, but then if i try to load a site with flash or a bit more customized layout, internet explore has no god damn chance in hell of loading in, and Firefox will load half way, until i decide to go to another webpage, then it will instantly fully load then 'try' to load the new webpage i directed it too again. I can't connect to Microsoft live updates

then i reformatted again onto a different OS (Windows 8, was previously on Windows 7) didn't work, so i went back to Windows 7 in some fucken dumb hope, DIDN'T WORK, then i went to Windows XP, still doesn't work.

Right now i'm stuck on windows xp, all the drivers are PROPERLY installed, but it still shits on my face...
half loads every page (except this one WOOT) and then shits on me when i go to another.

The computer guy down the streets says its probably something to do with my network card, but i'm pretty sure it's built into my motherboard and my motherboard still works fine

ahhh
 Quoting: Yinse

Could try looking at the software.first.

It could be that your PC is running Internet eplorer 9 I bet, it's a huge fail and freezes, especially with flash player as an add on.

Upgrade to Internet explorer 10 and disable flash add on for Internet explorer. If all else fails uninstall Internet explorer altogether and just use Firefox.

Or as you mentioned the hardware... Could be wrongly configured router. Try a factory reset on your router incase it updated its firmware and messed up. Also check any connections you may hsve, worst case buy a pci modem and plug it into your motherboard and connect to your router via that.

Good luck.
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

ahhh

It could be that your PC is running Internet eplorer 9 I bet, it's a huge fail and freezes, especially with flash player as an add on.

Upgrade to Internet explorer 10 and disable flash add on for Internet explorer. If all else fails uninstall Internet explorer altogether and just use Firefox.

Or as you mentioned the hardware... Could be wrongly configured router. Try a factory reset on your router incase it updated its firmware and messed up. Also check any connections you may hsve, worst case buy a pci modem and plug it into your motherboard and connect to your router via that.

Good luck.
 Quoting: Limey 15623572

all my other PC's and WIFI devices in the house WORK FLAWLESSLY!! its noting to do with my router, unless the computer somehow saves all the corrupt information threw MULTIPLE reformat

which again i think isn't possible, so i'm going with hardware
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Unplug your router and modem or whatever equipment you use to access the internet...wait 5 minutes and power it back up.

WTF? It's a legitimate suggestion.

Not if you read everything else i said...

Resetting your modem/router is the first thing anyone does, from 6 year old, to my dad that's 70...

and i dont think i'd have 75gig/s if i didn't know how to simply reset my router...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 40264756
United States
05/22/2013 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post

I agree with this advice. That is what I would do. You can pick them up on the cheap too, $20-$40 new. cheaper used.
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/22/2013 02:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
One more thing, try possibly swapping out a known working ethernet cord. Maybe the one you're using isn't working properly. What are your response times when you ping your router from the computer btw?
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

I agree with this advice. That is what I would do. You can pick them up on the cheap too, $20-$40 new. cheaper used.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 40264756

yeah i'm going to have to check kijiji, if it works i'll shit my pants, worth 20 bucks to figure out i guess

ahhh

Good luck.

all my other PC's and WIFI devices in the house WORK FLAWLESSLY!! its noting to do with my router, unless the computer somehow saves all the corrupt information threw MULTIPLE reformat

If it's not your router or switch etc...it could be your NIC...perhaps bad drivers or a misconfiguration of the firewall on the router. Some data on certain websites travels through ports other than 80....

There are a lot of angles to take with the issues you've described.

The reason i dont believe it is this, like before, i said i did a reformat, multiple times, to multiple OS, that should of set anything on my computer back to the default, any bad settings i had would of been erased
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/22/2013 02:27 PM
Report Abusive Post

ahhh

Good luck.

If it's not your router or switch etc...it could be your NIC...perhaps bad drivers or a misconfiguration of the firewall on the router. Some data on certain websites travels through ports other than 80....

There are a lot of angles to take with the issues you've described.

Chip, I agree it's likely the nic which the OP says is built into the motherboard. A secondary nic card would solve the problem if that's it. Firewall on the router is probably not the issue, since it works fine for other computers on the same network. Almost all data for websites is running through port 80 unless you're logging into a secure server, https, which I believe is port 443.
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
One more thing, try possibly swapping out a known working ethernet cord. Maybe the one you're using isn't working properly. What are your response times when you ping your router from the computer btw?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 40264756

hrmmm i've never tried to ping it, i'll go do that

and i've tried multiple ethernet cords, why back on the cold day where i though about RESTING MY ROUTER, lol...

i'm not totally brain dead guys :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 37913378
United Kingdom
05/22/2013 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
you have 'multiple pc's'

borrow a network card from one of them and see what happens...
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/22/2013 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
I just pulled a nic out of a dead computer, if you lived close you could HAVE the thing, I've got plenty. But I still want you to check the ethernet cord by swapping it out for another known working one. And also what are your millisecond response times when you ping your router?
Taz

User ID: 40025630
United States
05/22/2013 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
i would think spyware / adware from the description and not hardware at all.

OP why dont you try this :

go to a command prompt "CMD" from the search at the bottom of start menu type the following :

ping -t www.google.ca

You will see ping replies from google and they will never stop because you gave it a -t look for dropped connections. (holes in the replies) let it run a min or two.

If you don't see dropped replies its not your network gear. I would look at possible infections adware / malware etc

* spybot search and destroy
* malware bytes
* avast / or AVG (free Anti-virus)
* CleanUP - good clean up util BUT BE ADVISED it erases forum fill data and recent search history / URL history all temporary files go byby

/ my two cents
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
How do i find out my ip other then going to whatsmyip.com because again i probably wont be able to connect to it...
Yinse  (OP)

Canada
05/22/2013 02:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
i would think spyware / adware from the description and not hardware at all.

OP why dont you try this :

go to a command prompt "CMD" from the search at the bottom of start menu type the following :

ping -t www.google.ca

You will see ping replies from google and they will never stop because you gave it a -t look for dropped connections. (holes in the replies) let it run a min or two.

If you don't see dropped replies its not your network gear. I would look at possible infections adware / malware etc

* spybot search and destroy
* malware bytes
* avast / or AVG (free Anti-virus)
* CleanUP - good clean up util BUT BE ADVISED it erases forum fill data and recent search history / URL history all temporary files go byby

/ my two cents
 Quoting: Taz

I have every cleaning tool pirates bay has to offer SON, its not that
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 37913378
United Kingdom
05/22/2013 02:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
How do i find out my ip other then going to whatsmyip.com because again i probably wont be able to connect to it...

start > run type: ipconfig > enter
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 39202048
Netherlands
05/22/2013 02:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah go to run > type "cmd" then when you get to the command prompt type "ipconfig" should tell you if you're able to connect to your router.
Taz

User ID: 40025630
United States
05/22/2013 02:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

start > run type: ipconfig > enter
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 37913378

this will give the IP assigned by your router ( an internal IP )

this happens to be what I do for a living :)

however, with that in mind your router has a login if your computer will get you to it using the "gateway" listed in that list type as a url assuming you never changed your router pass its probably admin - admin / admin - password / admin - *blank* from there you should find a status or general info tab which will tell you the "WAN" IP this is your real IP address
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17119454
United States
05/22/2013 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

clappa

Actually... That's very sound advice. Aka a network reboot. Try it.

Also, check your network cable (aka ethernet cord, cat 5, cat 5e, cat 6, etc...)

Try a diff cord. Sometimes the easiest & cheapest things should be the FIRST things you try.

GLP