Chrit
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 27088294
United States
06/16/2013 10:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Scientists Use New Engineered Virus to Restore Sight
As someone who is going blind and has a hand full of years left, I'm still not convinced this is a smart idea.

Snip; “Building upon 14 years of research, we have now created a virus that you just inject into the liquid vitreous humor inside the eye and it delivers genes to a very difficult-to-reach population of delicate cells in a way that is surgically non-invasive and safe. It’s a 15-minute procedure, and you can likely go home that day.”

Lot more at link.

[link to www.sci-news.com]
I'm only human, it's my biggest flaw.

We must all realize a sink a chair and a pillow are all luxuries of home and a soldiers helmet takes the place of all three.
CJStryker

User ID: 38331431
United States
06/16/2013 10:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Scientists Use New Engineered Virus to Restore Sight
damned

Eyes Everywhere!
Nostradamus Century 1: Quatrain 50
From the water trinity will be born,
One who will make Thursday as his holiday.
His renown, praise, rule, and power increase,
By land and sea to the East by storm.
tiger1

User ID: 36977847
United States
06/16/2013 10:42 PM

Report Abusive Post
This sounds too risky, and the results are so-so.
Praise God from Whom all Blessings flow !!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2428859
United States
06/16/2013 10:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump 5 stars!
Chrit  (OP)

United States
06/16/2013 11:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
This sounds too risky, and the results are so-so.
 Quoting: tiger1

They are coming up with some crazy stuff, just hope they are not playing with fire.

Won’t help me either way if I read it right, I’m losing my sight a different way but the article caught my eye though, no pun intended.

We must all realize a sink a chair and a pillow are all luxuries of home and a soldiers helmet takes the place of all three.
Chrit  (OP)

United States
06/17/2013 02:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
I just see a modified virus that was given the ability to penetrate a cellular wall that otherwise had to be penetrated with a needle, that is quite a little upgrade for the said virus in my opinion.

Snip explaining why they did this; Over the last six years, several teams of scientists have successfully treated people with a rare inherited eye disease by injecting a virus with a normal gene directly into the retina of an eye with a defective gene. Despite the invasive process, the virus with the normal gene was not capable of reaching all the retinal cells that need fixing.

“Sticking a needle through the retina and injecting the engineered virus behind the retina is a risky surgical procedure,” explained Prof David Schaffer of the University of California, Berkeley, senior author of a paper published in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

“But doctors have no choice because none of the gene delivery viruses can travel all the way through the back of the eye to reach the photoreceptors – the light sensitive cells that need the therapeutic gene.”

So now they developed this new Virus that's finds it own way through.

pic in link also.

GLP