Is it man vs nature or big business?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 34710160
United States
06/29/2013 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Deer culling. Where's the meat?
Come on now..You guys already took all the good conspiracies...

I just want your take. Do they cull the deer in your area? A near by suburb claims that it cost them about 600.00 "per deer" to cull. Seriously? They also mentioned that they donated $5000.00 worth of meat to a food bank.

In the UK they want to cull half the deer population every year just to maintain the forests.
I searched and found "venison" dog food.. $69.00 a bag.

chewedshoes
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 41536414
Canada
06/29/2013 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
they need to up our tags here, they have become massive in numbers
Chrit

User ID: 27088294
United States
06/29/2013 02:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Big business to the people who fleece the municipalities. They want to stop the regular hunters then tax the people and pay a few privileged hunters a year’s salary to kill the deer. Meat is then donated to shelters, though more than once the mean was discarded because of federal laws.

2011; Contract: Solon Could Pay USDA $128,000 to Cull 400 to 500 Deer

[link to solon.patch.com]

2013; Solon Spent $132K On Deer Culling In 2013

Solon spent as much as $132,719 on its deer culling program this year, about $50,000 less than last year.

The problem in Solon is crazy it’s caused by people feeding the deer, it is not legal to feed the deer at all now but they still do it. I’ve seen packs of 100+ deer, that is not natural. I myself hit two deer in one week once.

Off the top of my head they had 52 deer accidents last year, my guess is more then that. I never reported my two at all. That means by population you about 0.5% chance of hitting a deer in your car in that city. Course that is not a true number because of commuters, but you get the point.

Can’t find the story but we had a pack of 40+ deer starve to death two or three years back, this is what happens when someone feeds a pack then moves away or quits feeding them because they went broke.

They could be making money off this by attracting hunters from other states rather than spending money.

But the truth is it’s a hand full of guys who do the culling and are good friends with the city who collect the $120,000+ in a very short period of time to do this.

Extend the season, up the tags, the guy above is right. White tail deer kill more people then any other animal on the planet, I've seen it happen with my own eyes. Saw a old lady who put her hands on the dashboard as the car hit the deer, airbags snapped her wrists like pencils.

verysad

Armeddeerahead

Last Edited by Chrit on 06/29/2013 09:28 PM
I'm only human, it's my biggest flaw.

We must all realize a sink a chair and a pillow are all luxuries of home and a soldiers helmet takes the place of all three.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 34710160
United States
06/29/2013 09:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Big business to the people who fleece the municipalities. They want to stop the regular hunters then tax the people and pay a few privileged hunters a year’s salary to kill the deer. Meat is then donated to shelters, though more than once the mean was discarded because of federal laws.

2011; Contract: Solon Could Pay USDA $128,000 to Cull 400 to 500 Deer

2013; Solon Spent $132K On Deer Culling In 2013

Solon spent as much as $132,719 on its deer culling program this year, about $50,000 less than last year.

The problem in Solon is crazy it’s caused by people feeding the deer, it is not legal to feed the deer at all now but they still do it. I’ve seen packs of 100+ deer, that is not natural. I myself hit two deer in one week once.

Off the top of my head they had 52 deer accidents last year, my guess is more then that. I never reported my two at all. That means by population you about 0.5% chance of hitting a deer in your car in that city. Course that is not a true number because of commuters, but you get the point.

Can’t find the story but we had a pack of 40+ deer starve to death two or three years back, this is what happens when someone feeds a pack then moves away or quits feeding them because they went broke.

They could be making money off this by attracting hunters from other states rather than spending money.

But the truth is it’s a hand full of guys who do the culling and are good friends with the city who collect the $120,000+ in a very short period of time to do this.

Extend the season, up the tags, the guy above is right. White tail deer kill more people then any other animal on the planet, I've seen it happen with my own eyes. Saw a old lady who put her hands on the dashboard as the car hit the deer, airbags snapped her wrists like pencils.

verysad

:Armeddeerahead:
 Quoting: Chrit

Thanks for the reply and links Chrit. Great post and good points.(Note to self...Must start adding links.)

I'm following the crumbs and found "Deer Velvet" is used as well. If it is as useful as claims offer...

[link to www.webmd.com]

[link to menshealthnews.co]

GLP