New Study Suggests That 60 Billion(!) Alien Planets Could Support Life

MHz

User ID: 42240933
Canada
07/02/2013 06:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: New Study Suggests That 60 Billion(!) Alien Planets Could Support Life
So what, how the fuck are you (or anybody) going to get there? Save the wasted money and repair this one as best we can.

What was another loser idea of the space industry, oh yeah, mine methane on a moon of Jupiter. Anybody do the math on how much fuel you would use in braking from Jupiter's pull just to land on the moon and then take off and trying to escape from Jupiter's pull (rather than the tiny moon we were supposed to 'visit'?

BTW it took 4B years to terraform earth, nobody can wait that wrong, if we head for one in a 'finished state' it will have 'died and gone cold' before we could even get there at full burn.

Last Edited by MHz on 07/02/2013 06:26 PM
Frater

User ID: 1193197
United States
07/02/2013 06:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Consider:

- New evidence suggests that carbon-based DNA (OUR DNA) actually dates back to over 8 billion years old.
- The Earth is only around 4.7 billion years old.
- Science's general consensus is that the first unicellular prokaryotic carbon-based forms got to this planet by way of space travel (whether that be planet hopping on asteroids, space floating like "water bears," or wormholes

All this information leads us to several close-to-certain conclusions:

1. Our predecessors almost DEFINITELY did NOT start on Earth
2. The prokaryotic carbon-based cells are suited for space travel
3. They either happened randomly upon this planet or we were "seeded"

With these safe assumptions, it is logical to assume that these prokaryotic cells are and have been (FOR A LONG TIME) floating around space and landing anywhere that is suited to carbon-based evolution. It happened TWICE just on this planet. One evolution chain on the surface, spawning from photosynthetic unicellular life and one at the bottom of the oceans, spawned from chemosynthetic unicellular things.

It is likely that (and this is excluding all the other potential unknown types of life out there, not to mention things that may exist outside of this dimensional plane) there are literally BILLIONS of planets out there supporting chains of life from the same DNA strands that found their way here. Remember, we're talking about a space that (so far as we know) is infinitely expansive. Of course there are unlimited planets that could support extraterrestrial life. In the end it would only be illogical to assume otherwise.
 Quoting: Kai D Kravit (VALIS)

They may still be here :)

Frater
LVX!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42236936
United States
07/02/2013 06:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well, just look at the math. Google the drake equation and you can see clearly that the possibility for life outside our solar system is not only possible, but likely. I have no doubt there is life out there, but, whether they are actively visiting earth, that's a whole other can of worms.
PencilPusher

User ID: 32747643
United States
07/02/2013 06:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
If the universe is infinite, I would think there would be an infinite amount of planets that would support life.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42718586
United States
07/02/2013 06:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Worry about THIS planet, sheep-apes.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42590626
United States
07/02/2013 07:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
I want my own damn planet.
That would be paradise.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

User ID: 42718532
Croatia
07/02/2013 07:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
spock
Handle
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42101210
United Kingdom
07/02/2013 07:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
60 billion seems to me to be a tiny number considering that there are hundred of billions of galaxies with hundred of billions of stars each.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25050963

If you had read the article it says that the Milky Way alone could host 60 billion habitable planets.
 Quoting: AgnosticDeity

The researchers' paper goes on to say '...so now we need loads more dosh to definitively identify these planets...'
Mango Positive

User ID: 1173727
United States
07/02/2013 07:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
New study says "Look how fucking big the universe is... there are billions of planets with life, each of them looking out into the expanse of space and feeling lonely. News at 11:00."
'Faith' is the acknowledgment that you have absolutely no justification for the silly shit you believe.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 35114722
United States
07/02/2013 07:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
and that's just the milky way... imagine andromeda...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42364242
United States
07/02/2013 07:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
If the conditions for life to exist are present, life will exist. If the conditions for life to exist are not present, life will not exist.

Simple as that.

There is life on Earth because the proper conditions exist. There is no life on the moon because the proper conditions do not exist.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18242403

There's no such thing as "conditions" for generating life. That is complete sci-fi fantasy.

All science confirms the law of biogenesis. Life only follows from life. That leaves the atheist/evolutionist in a sticky situation because his religion tells him life must have magically manifested itself by some nature-defying string of accidents.

And sorry, getting atheist High Priest Lawrency Krauss up on stage preaching anti-science sermons about everything coming from nothing, does not quite cut it.

Nor does generating some individual part of a cell in a lab or, even better, a computer simulation.

You can't fight the science. The origin of life defies any known natural causes, emphatically so.

This pseudo-science spontaneous generation across the universe is nothing, NOTHING, but creative sci-fi writing.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 958056
Canada
07/02/2013 07:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.space.com]

That's 60,000,000,000,000

alien16alien11alien
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 42695513

We will never get tot those other planets. And thank God they're safe from us!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17218268
United States
07/02/2013 07:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oh no, Christians everywhere deny this and declare it heresy!!!

Burnings at the stake will commence shortly.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42717084
United States
07/02/2013 08:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
It is fairly ego-centric to believe we are the only life in the universe.

The simple act of a comet impact releasing amino acids is enough for me to determine that.
 Quoting: Waterbug

Right... Whatever you got to say to run away from God. I get it.
Knowbody Special

User ID: 3753361
United States
07/02/2013 08:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Probably there are lots and lots of planets like that. 60 Billion? Why 60? I just luv when they throw around numbers like this without even knowing if the universe is finite or infinite...if it is infinite, this number has no validity. If it is finite, first need to know how large it is,otherwise the estimate is worthless again.
In lack of those I will vote this

bsflag
 Quoting: emerald_glow

They are LIARS. They don't even know, show and tell what is at the bottom of our own planet's oceans, yet they can tell which planets harbor life and which don't and tell us a number in a supposed infinite of potential unknowns. BULLSHIT. How about some detailed pictures of the face and pyramids on Mars before you tell us how some galaxy far, far away might harbor life. Please, more mumbo jumbo from FOOLS who know nothing, wouldn't know a truth if it slapped them in the face. Trying to impress the mindless and clueless sheeple into believing and trusting that they know what they are doing, WHEN CLEARLY THEY DO NOT.

Cure the common cold before you worry about a planet light years away. What's the point if the majority will never go there anyways? Fix your own house first.

rant

Last Edited by Knowbody Special on 07/02/2013 08:43 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21439797
Philippines
07/02/2013 08:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.space.com]

alien16alien11alien

anyone can make up bullshit, fool
strgzr

User ID: 42707012
United States
07/02/2013 08:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.space.com]

alien16alien11alien

I guess 60,000,000,000 is as good a number to poll out of your ass as any.
:)
synchro

User ID: 40611
United States
07/02/2013 08:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
At some point, it would be great if humans built an enormous ship (maybe several of them to increase chances of survival) and try to get to the most compatible planet possible. The ships would probably have to be as big as large cities with many redundant systems to help ensure success. Many generations of people would live and die on these ships before getting to the destination planet and there’s no guarantee of success.

Currently, we “have all our eggs in one basket” here on Earth. Humans are natural explorers. Maybe it’s time to see if we can make a go of it in space. Maybe our technology is not ready today, but I hope this can be done sooner than later.

All it would take is one of those big asteroids that narrowly misses us (all too often) to wipe out all (or most) life on Earth.

If not humans, I believe some sort of life from this planet should live on elsewhere in the universe. Like a previous poster said, it (panspermia) could be how life came to be on Earth in the first place, who knows?
Useless Cookie Eater

User ID: 29696048
United States
07/02/2013 08:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.space.com]

alien16alien11alien

And not ONE SINGLE SIGNAL from ANYWHERE
in the universe, except from us.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10174752

That we can recognize.

Save your money and go get a degree in Electrical
Engineering.
Learn what signals are.

Pfttt.
Another one dimensional thinker.

So pompous....yet so clueless.

wtfspock
strgzr

User ID: 42707012
United States
07/02/2013 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
At some point, it would be great if humans built an enormous ship (maybe several of them to increase chances of survival) and try to get to the most compatible planet possible. The ships would probably have to be as big as large cities with many redundant systems to help ensure success. Many generations of people would live and die on these ships before getting to the destination planet and there’s no guarantee of success.

Currently, we “have all our eggs in one basket” here on Earth. Humans are natural explorers. Maybe it’s time to see if we can make a go of it in space. Maybe our technology is not ready today, but I hope this can be done sooner than later.

All it would take is one of those big asteroids that narrowly misses us (all too often) to wipe out all (or most) life on Earth.

If not humans, I believe some sort of life from this planet should live on elsewhere in the universe. Like a previous poster said, it (panspermia) could be how life came to be on Earth in the first place, who knows?
 Quoting: synchro

Yes we “have all our eggs in one basket”. So why would we want to soil another basket? If we can't get to a certain level here on Earth we don't deserve to spread our disfunction elsewhere.
:)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26284556
United States
07/02/2013 08:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Study. ......looooooooooooooooool
oLOVEz

User ID: 40020654
United States
07/02/2013 08:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.space.com]

alien16alien11alien

And not ONE SINGLE SIGNAL from ANYWHERE
in the universe, except from us.

That we can recognize.

Save your money and go get a degree in Electrical
Engineering.
Learn what signals are.

dumbass

If they were using tech the same as ours, or very much similar, we most likely could recognize it... We have no proof or evidence that they do (at least not available to the public). However, it would be very "convenient" if they did.

It is naive to believe that what we use is what they would use. What if they have mastered Organic tech... Or Crystal tech... Or (UNKNOWN) tech...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18242403
United States
07/02/2013 09:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
If the conditions for life to exist are present, life will exist. If the conditions for life to exist are not present, life will not exist.

Simple as that.

There is life on Earth because the proper conditions exist. There is no life on the moon because the proper conditions do not exist.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18242403

There's no such thing as "conditions" for generating life. That is complete sci-fi fantasy.

All science confirms the law of biogenesis. Life only follows from life. That leaves the atheist/evolutionist in a sticky situation because his religion tells him life must have magically manifested itself by some nature-defying string of accidents.

And sorry, getting atheist High Priest Lawrency Krauss up on stage preaching anti-science sermons about everything coming from nothing, does not quite cut it.

Nor does generating some individual part of a cell in a lab or, even better, a computer simulation.

You can't fight the science. The origin of life defies any known natural causes, emphatically so.

This pseudo-science spontaneous generation across the universe is nothing, NOTHING, but creative sci-fi writing.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 42364242

You're an absolute ignorant fool. You don't have the mental capacity to understand science and how it works. God is cop out for lack of knowledge. Can't explain it? God must have done it!

That is until there is nothing left that science can't explain and people like you are left grasping at nothing. Yes, the very nothing that could spark the beginning of a universe.

In 10,000 years God will be forgotten thanks to advancements in science. You can think what'd you like; BUT IT'S WRONG.

It's a shame you can't understand how wrong and stupid you are. It's because of people like you the world is so fucked up.
Waterbug

User ID: 34388912
United States
07/02/2013 09:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

The simple act of a comet impact releasing amino acids is enough for me to determine that.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 42717084

I don't consider science a barrier to knowing a Creator.

I believe in God..

Man and organized religion.. not so much.
Too many different stories.
oLOVEz

User ID: 40020654
United States
07/02/2013 09:09 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 42717084

I don't consider science a barrier to knowing a Creator.

I believe in God..

Man and organized religion.. not so much.
Too many different stories.

"Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind"
-Einstein
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26284556
United States
07/02/2013 09:15 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: synchro

At what speed earth moves thru space.......why would not this be a space ship....you in your physical state is a seed........at death you ether fall in good soil or bad soil........yes.....galaxy is a seed spreader.
Kai D Kravit (VALIS)

User ID: 25570375
United States
07/03/2013 11:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
quoting "Knowbody Special":

"They are LIARS. They don't even know, show and tell what is at the bottom of our own planet's oceans, yet they can tell which planets harbor life and which don't and tell us a number in a supposed infinite of potential unknowns. BULLSHIT. How about some detailed pictures of the face and pyramids on Mars before you tell us how some galaxy far, far away might harbor life. Please, more mumbo jumbo from FOOLS who know nothing, wouldn't know a truth if it slapped them in the face. Trying to impress the mindless and clueless sheeple into believing and trusting that they know what they are doing, WHEN CLEARLY THEY DO NOT.

Cure the common cold before you worry about a planet light years away. What's the point if the majority will never go there anyways? Fix your own house first."

:end quote

Correction:

They don't know about EVERYTHING at the bottom of the oceans. They DO know quite a bit about what's down there. For instance, the hydrothermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench (the deepest spot we've been) houses a number of Xenophyophores, which are ancient prokaryotic, chemosynthetic microorganisms that survive by converting chemicals spewed from the vents into energy. Other more advanced organisms live down there and contribute to this chain by eating such xenophyophores. There is actually another area in the Gulf of Mexico where scientists have observed a whole new layer of super sense saline water below the normal ocean water (a lake under the ocean, if you will). This data goes to show that not only is photosynthesis completely unnecessary for life to exist on earth, it most certainly spawned 2 chains of evolution on just this one planet!

Last Edited by Kai D Kravit (VALIS) on 07/03/2013 11:39 AM
Kai D Kravit (VALIS)
AgnosticDeity

User ID: 35865412
United States
07/03/2013 03:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
quoting "Knowbody Special":

"They are LIARS. They don't even know, show and tell what is at the bottom of our own planet's oceans, yet they can tell which planets harbor life and which don't and tell us a number in a supposed infinite of potential unknowns. BULLSHIT. How about some detailed pictures of the face and pyramids on Mars before you tell us how some galaxy far, far away might harbor life. Please, more mumbo jumbo from FOOLS who know nothing, wouldn't know a truth if it slapped them in the face. Trying to impress the mindless and clueless sheeple into believing and trusting that they know what they are doing, WHEN CLEARLY THEY DO NOT.

Cure the common cold before you worry about a planet light years away. What's the point if the majority will never go there anyways? Fix your own house first."

:end quote

Correction:

They don't know about EVERYTHING at the bottom of the oceans. They DO know quite a bit about what's down there. For instance, the hydrothermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench (the deepest spot we've been) houses a number of Xenophyophores, which are ancient prokaryotic, chemosynthetic microorganisms that survive by converting chemicals spewed from the vents into energy. Other more advanced organisms live down there and contribute to this chain by eating such xenophyophores. There is actually another area in the Gulf of Mexico where scientists have observed a whole new layer of super sense saline water below the normal ocean water (a lake under the ocean, if you will). This data goes to show that not only is photosynthesis completely unnecessary for life to exist on earth, it most certainly spawned 2 chains of evolution on just this one planet!

How dare you use things such as logic or evidence in a theological debate!!! You sir should be ashamed of yourself!
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Kai D Kravit (VALIS)

User ID: 20625876
United States
07/03/2013 05:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is yet a third theory which suggests that both of the first two theories were concocted by a wily editor of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in order to increase the levels of universal uncertainty and paranoia and so boost the sales of the guide. This last theory is, of course, the most convincing because The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the only book in the whole of the known universe to have the words "Don't Panic" inscribed in large friendly letters on the cover.
Kai D Kravit (VALIS)
OCD Chaos Theorist

User ID: 41459087
United States
07/03/2013 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is yet a third theory which suggests that both of the first two theories were concocted by a wily editor of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in order to increase the levels of universal uncertainty and paranoia and so boost the sales of the guide. This last theory is, of course, the most convincing because The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the only book in the whole of the known universe to have the words "Don't Panic" inscribed in large friendly letters on the cover.

Goofy Thum
I wish I had more time so I could do even less.

GLP