Tattoo and shading - how long?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3558872
United States
07/05/2013 03:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Tattoo and shading - how long?
Friend of mine got a portrait of her momther on her back, nicely done, and not too big. The artist is top of the line. My friend indicated that the picture doesn't really look like her motherm, but after looking at the art and the photo, they actually are identical. I think what is throwing my friend off is the shading, which the artist said will fade/mellow out within a few weeks. Any personal experience with this issue? Thanks.
Smiling Jack

User ID: 23179271
United States
07/05/2013 03:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Tattoo and shading - how long?
The artist lied to get her eagle eye ass out of his shop...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 03:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Smiling Jack

What?
Smiling Jack

United States
07/05/2013 03:56 PM
Report Abusive Post

What?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 3558872

What don't you understand?...The artist lied to get her out of his shop (quietly)...The shading will not fade nor mellow....well MAYBE in like 10 yrs...so wait I'm wrong...he "didn't" lie after all...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 04:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

What?

What don't you understand?...The artist lied to get her out of his shop (quietly)...The shading will not fade nor mellow....well MAYBE in like 10 yrs...so wait I'm wrong...he "didn't" lie after all...

I don't think this person would. He is one of the top artists in the country and it took MONTHS to get an appointment... I've talked to others about it, and they have all said the same thing, that it will mellow out over the course of a couple of weeks...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42861000
United Kingdom
07/05/2013 04:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Has the swelling gone down?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 04:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Has the swelling gone down?
 Quoting: The Lump Under the Carpet

No not yet. Only been a day or so...
Smiling Jack

United States
07/05/2013 04:14 PM
Report Abusive Post

What?

I don't think this person would. He is one of the top artists in the country and it took MONTHS to get an appointment... I've talked to others about it, and they have all said the same thing, that it will mellow out over the course of a couple of weeks...

We all have bad days...Vanity is a bitch...I would ask him to fix it because he fucked it up. Hope you have better luck with that second appointment.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 38997478
United States
07/05/2013 04:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
The shading will and does fade. Starts out with a purplish hue and will fade out to a soft grey. It takes time. Give it a couple of weeks, maybe longer. If you don't understand the tattoo process you shouldn't be getting tattoos.
Smiling Jack

United States
07/05/2013 04:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
The shading will and does fade. Starts out with a purplish hue and will fade out to a soft grey. It takes time. Give it a couple of weeks, maybe longer. If you don't understand the tattoo process you shouldn't be getting tattoos.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 38997478

Purple hue? Green clovers and blue diamonds.. Hey are you the artist OP is bitching about?...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 04:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks. I have tats, and explained it to them. You know people get when they are newbies... ;)

Anyways, I told my friend that I would ask around, should put their mind at ease.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 04:19 PM
Report Abusive Post

Purple hue? Green clovers and blue diamonds.. Hey are you the artist OP is bitching about?...

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Tats initially are darker from the blood, and will peel/scab over within a few days. They lighten up and clear up after a few weeks...
Smiling Jack

United States
07/05/2013 04:28 PM
Report Abusive Post

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Tats initially are darker from the blood, and will peel/scab over within a few days. They lighten up and clear up after a few weeks...

No?...then why are you asking us...please update on how it turns out in a few weeks...I bet you it's the same. They don't "fade" they get more defined as they heal. You were asking on fade and every little line will still be there.
Dace

User ID: 14737377
United States
07/05/2013 04:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm a Tat artist......
What it looks like now.....will be what it looks like later..
VERY light colors CAN fade.....like white....it doesn't stay in for shit....skin always pushes it out...
But if you're talking light black or greywash shading....
The only 'fading' will be the slight dulling of colors as it heals and you look at it through a new layer of skin...
Sorry...but dark color shading doesn't fade out.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 04:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm a Tat artist......
VERY light colors CAN fade.....like white....it doesn't stay in for shit....skin always pushes it out...
The only 'fading' will be the slight dulling of colors as it heals and you look at it through a new layer of skin...
 Quoting: Dace

Its not dark shading, more like gray/light tones. Thanks.
Dace

United States
07/05/2013 04:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
If some of the dark black/greywash shading is TOO dark in the finished tattoo.......
One option is to go to a different artist who knows what he's doing.....and have him go over the too-dark areas with nothing more than a dry needle...No-Ink or water..
If done correctly (and slowly)...the bare needle can actually break the skin and 'pull out' some of the extra ink......lightening it up wherever needed.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 04:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
If some of the dark black/greywash shading is TOO dark in the finished tattoo.......
One option is to go to a different artist who knows what he's doing.....and have him go over the too-dark areas with nothing more than a dry needle...No-Ink or water..
If done correctly (and slowly)...the bare needle can actually break the skin and 'pull out' some of the extra ink......lightening it up wherever needed.

Thanks. I have no doubts on the artist, I have had work done by him before, took a year to get an appointment, and he did some bad ass art. I know my friends upper back is swollen (puffy) which is normal. I think it looks great and like their mom, but I don't know, they say it doesn't. Have you ever come across this "syndrome", wherein you basically put the pic next to the tat and they are the same, others say its the same, but the person who got it doesn't think so? Strange...
Dace

United States
07/05/2013 04:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm a Tat artist......

Then it depends on three factors.......the brand/quality of the ink.......how well the aftercare/healing process goes....and the person tattooed.(I've done 1000+ tattoos and everyone is SO different in healing and color-retention, I can't even begin to categorize.)
..Just have to wait until it heals....then if anything is too dark.....see my above post about a dry-needle run.
Dace

United States
07/05/2013 04:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks. I have no doubts on the artist, I have had work done by him before, took a year to get an appointment, and he did some bad ass art. I know my friends upper back is swollen (puffy) which is normal. I think it looks great and like their mom, but I don't know, they say it doesn't. Have you ever come across this "syndrome", wherein you basically put the pic next to the tat and they are the same, others say its the same, but the person who got it doesn't think so? Strange...

Yeah....I get that from time to time......
..But I also have OCD....I was the kid that if you drew outside the lines on ONE picture in my coloring book, I would throw that bitch out!........I want to bitchslap those people, but, oh, well.....it's money.....smile and nod....smile and nod.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/05/2013 04:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm a Tat artist......

Then it depends on three factors.......the brand/quality of the ink.......how well the aftercare/healing process goes....and the person tattooed.(I've done 1000+ tattoos and everyone is SO different in healing and color-retention, I can't even begin to categorize.)
..Just have to wait until it heals....then if anything is too dark.....see my above post about a dry-needle run.

Hey, thanks again! He uses top line inks and equipment. He's been doing this for 20 years... nice, clean cut fellow... and you don't see the dregs of society when you go into his shop...

GLP