Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,071 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 700,242
Pageviews Today: 1,229,001Threads Today: 525Posts Today: 8,823
02:34 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Comet ISON UK observers thread...Post YOUR Comet ISON sighting here from around the UK!

More questions than answers!
User ID: 35899451
United Kingdom
09/02/2013 07:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Comet ISON UK observers thread...Post YOUR Comet ISON sighting here from around the UK!
Well it's just under a month before ISON reaches Mars and the real story behind this unearthly visitor will start to unfold...

I'm starting this thread for all UK observers to share their observations and thoughts...

If you post could you please give your approximate location so we can have a reference for others who may just wish to follow!

Let history commence...

Well firstly I'm based in Shrewsbury, pretty much central UK. I've been watching the North Eastern sky every morning for around an hour before sunrise So far I haven't seen it although NASA said it would rise higher towards the end of the month!

So, where is it? Has anybody seen it?

spock
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/02/2013 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Comet ISON UK observers thread...Post YOUR Comet ISON sighting here from around the UK!
It might also be helpful to post meteor sightings and local earthquake information...
anne
User ID: 46204500
United Kingdom
09/02/2013 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Comet ISON UK observers thread...Post YOUR Comet ISON sighting here from around the UK!
Im in shrewsbury and i have not seen it as yet but i have seen other things going on in shrewsbury skies.

I was walking in monkmoor late night and saw ufo above my head, it was at stand still then shot off really quick heading north, went invisible infront of me as plane was coming towards.

These are all over shrewsbury at the moment, my partner thought i was crazy but that night he saw it and was shocked.

I hear this comet ISON isnt actually a comet its a large ship, im a abductee and they are getting ready for something coming.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Im in shrewsbury and i have not seen it as yet but i have seen other things going on in shrewsbury skies.

I was walking in monkmoor late night and saw ufo above my head, it was at stand still then shot off really quick heading north, went invisible infront of me as plane was coming towards.

These are all over shrewsbury at the moment, my partner thought i was crazy but that night he saw it and was shocked.

I hear this comet ISON isnt actually a comet its a large ship, im a abductee and they are getting ready for something coming.
 Quoting: anne 46204500

Sorry, your ID says USA but you're in the UK, yes?

If you are UK would like to hear more about your experience?!

spock
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 46224489
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP are you an astronomer?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Observation Tuesday 3rd September 2013.

Local time: 04:30

Direction: NE through East. 10-30 degrees.

Weather: Clear.

No comet observed!??

spock
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP are you an astronomer?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 46224489

Amateur astronomer and radio ham operator!
Karlos

User ID: 46187494
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm an amateur astronomer, based in NE England, and will be watching for Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) at every opportunity during the coming months.

It's still too dim to pick up visually, down in the brightening sky above the eastern horizon before sunrise.
The Moon has also been quite close to it, the last few days.

Currently at about 12th magnitude, with a surface brightness beyond mag 13, due to it's diffuse nature - It would need a pristine dark sky, and a large telescope to even stand a hope of seeing it visually.
Astrophotographers may be able to image it, but I'm a sketcher, not an astrophotographer, and rely on visual observation.

I'm personally not expecting to see much of it until early/mid October, when it will appear very close to Mars in the sky, just in 'front' of the head/neck of Leo, and expected to be around Magnitude 9.5, surface brightness a little below 10th magnitude. (Surface brightness is a far better measure of how visible an object is)

Any amateurs/beginners who want to know exactly where it is....
(Knowing it's EXACT location will be a big help in spotting it)
I'd advise using a programme such as 'Stellarium' (free download), and make sure you have up-to-date comet data.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm an amateur astronomer, based in NE England, and will be watching for Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) at every opportunity during the coming months.

It's still too dim to pick up visually, down in the brightening sky above the eastern horizon before sunrise.

Currently at about 12th magnitude, with a surface brightness beyond mag 13, due to it's diffuse nature - It would need a pristine dark sky, and a large telescope to even stand a hope of seeing it visually.
Astrophotographers may be able to image it, but I'm a sketcher, not an astrophotographer, and rely on visual observation.

I'm personally not expecting to see much of it until early/mid October, when it will appear very close to Mars in the sky, just in 'front' of the head/neck of Leo, and expected to be around Magnitude 9.5, surface brightness a little below 10th magnitude. (Surface brightness is a far better measure of how visible an object is)

I'd advise using a programme such as 'Stellarium' (free download), and make sure you have up-to-date comet data.
 Quoting: Karlos

Great input, many thanks!

Do keep in touch as like yourself I to am expecting the real show to start after the Mars fly by on the 1st, or thereabouts!

I'm also particularly interested in the amount of UFO activity at this time too as there seems to be a general increase in sighting especially around the UK!

Could relate to more asteroid activity...

spock
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
For those interested in it's current position...

[link to www.cometison2013.co.uk]

spock
Karlos

User ID: 46187494
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm also particularly interested in the amount of UFO activity at this time too as there seems to be a general increase in sighting especially around the UK!

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 35899451

Also, Venus coming good now, will create extra UFO reports.
I've already seen quite a few mis-identifications claiming it as something unusual.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 46230678
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP, yesterday evening I saw what appeared to be a comet in the sky (Liverpool). At first I thought it was a cloud, but I found it really odd that there wasn't a single cloud in the sky apart from this 'one'. As I looked closer, it looked like it had a tail behind it (very clearly so infact), and I called my wife out to have a look. She remarked that she thought it was a comet, yet it didn't have a bright corona or anything (no signs of out gassing).

I hadn't heard anything about a comet making a pass of earth, so I decided to forget about it and go back in doors.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:50 AM
Report Abusive Post

Also, Venus coming good now, will create extra UFO reports.
I've already seen quite a few mis-identifications claiming it as something unusual.

Yes Venus always a good candidate for UFO sightings...

Spent many years down in Wiltshire during the 70's flap and interviewed many UFO spotters. Many sightings explained away but several not so easy!

Still have an open mind...

spock
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
09/03/2013 08:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP, yesterday evening I saw what appeared to be a comet in the sky (Liverpool). At first I thought it was a cloud, but I found it really odd that there wasn't a single cloud in the sky apart from this 'one'. As I looked closer, it looked like it had a tail behind it (very clearly so infact), and I called my wife out to have a look. She remarked that she thought it was a comet, yet it didn't have a bright corona or anything (no signs of out gassing).

I hadn't heard anything about a comet making a pass of earth, so I decided to forget about it and go back in doors.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 46230678

I think I might have seen it too?

I noticed a comet like cloud shape very high up from North West heading South East around 21:00 or there abouts. Just as the stars we appearing.

It might have been a small asteroid high up in the atmosphere, would fit as several asteroid flybys been reported today?!

Don't know about you guys but my connection is running very, very slow too today?!

spock
More questions than answers!
User ID: 46286005
United Kingdom
09/04/2013 11:38 AM
Report Abusive Post

It seems, from recent European IMAGES that ISON maybe in several pieces now?!

Have you got any additional information on this revelation?

spock
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
09/04/2013 09:15 PM
Report Abusive Post

Sorry, your ID says USA but you're in the UK, yes?

If you are UK would like to hear more about your experience?!

spock

Dont know why it says USA :@
anne
United Kingdom
09/04/2013 09:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tonight i saw a UFO over shrewsbury town.

I most nights have OBEs and the ET beings come get me, last night they did again. They have shown over time things to come and not looking so good, there is threat of natural earth changes and also rockets in the skies which is danger to all.
They will come soon to help some who want the help, some will be ready and knowing when time is right and what to do and where to go.

ISON is a large ship
Eagle # 1
User ID: 46295620
United States
09/04/2013 09:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
BIGGEST question, IMHO IS .... What gasses will we be passing through when Earth passes through the tail of the comet in early January 2014 ???

Someone posted a few days ago it would carbon dioxide, carbon Monoxide and HYDROGEN CYANIDE, gas used to kill prisoners condemned to death by the courts.

Eagle
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 40839515
United States
09/04/2013 09:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good luck observing comet ISON before Dr. Astro because Dr. Astro will say you are full of shit and derail your reports of observation.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 46357496
United Kingdom
09/05/2013 02:08 PM
Report Abusive Post

I most nights have OBEs and the ET beings come get me, last night they did again. They have shown over time things to come and not looking so good, there is threat of natural earth changes and also rockets in the skies which is danger to all.
They will come soon to help some who want the help, some will be ready and knowing when time is right and what to do and where to go.

ISON is a large ship

ISON is a large ship

You must be using a proxy!

OK on your sightings / abduction experience. Have you asked them why you? And what response do they give?

I've met several abductees but never made my mind up if they are experiencing a real event, it would be great to have some physical evidence, i.e. Arranging for them to visit or show themselves to a third party!

I arranged with one contacte' to introduce them to me, needless to say they never materialised.

spock
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 46357496
United Kingdom
09/05/2013 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
BIGGEST question, IMHO IS .... What gasses will we be passing through when Earth passes through the tail of the comet in early January 2014 ???

Someone posted a few days ago it would carbon dioxide, carbon Monoxide and HYDROGEN CYANIDE, gas used to kill prisoners condemned to death by the courts.

Eagle
 Quoting: Eagle # 1 46295620

NOT sure, and I don't think anybody else is either?!

The main problem as I see it will be the dust particles currently expelling at the rate of 51,000Kg per minute!

Considering our passage through the tail will take several days, that's an awful lot of dust to pass through!

We could see a general reduction in the amount of sunlight reaching Earth, altering temperatures and producing some very bad weather patterns in the process!

spock
BadMoonRisen

User ID: 42411020
United Kingdom
09/05/2013 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
I may have seen it in Tesco today.
If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

[link to www.inmomsbasement.com]

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 46253593
United Kingdom
09/05/2013 02:19 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 46230678

that was no comet

that was half of Rooney's forehead, at escape velocity
Solar Guardian

User ID: 46397170
Malaysia
09/06/2013 10:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22028613
United Kingdom
09/06/2013 11:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good luck observing comet ISON before Dr. Astro because Dr. Astro will say you are full of shit and derail your reports of observation.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 40839515

Hahaha...

Well that would be interesting considering he's posted current images of ISON this morning??

Thread: ISON image from this morning (9/6/13)

spock
Karlos

User ID: 46363070
United Kingdom
09/06/2013 09:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well I'm personally not an astrophotographer...

(I tried it for a coupla yrs, but I always felt that I was losing time with my eye actually at the eyepiece, so I went back to my first love... Visual observing, often sketching the view)

.... so I'm not expecting much from ISON until well into October, at the very least, maybe longer.

When it's bright enough to be observable VISUALLY (roughly when it breaks 10th magnitude), I'll begin viewing it - and will start to sketch it once it breaks about 8th magnitude.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
09/07/2013 03:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well I'm personally not an astrophotographer...

(I tried it for a coupla yrs, but I always felt that I was losing time with my eye actually at the eyepiece, so I went back to my first love... Visual observing, often sketching the view)

.... so I'm not expecting much from ISON until well into October, at the very least, maybe longer.

When it's bright enough to be observable VISUALLY (roughly when it breaks 10th magnitude), I'll begin viewing it - and will start to sketch it once it breaks about 8th magnitude.

Let's hope that current events don't cancel your plans!

abomb
Dr. AstroModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 5371108
United States
09/07/2013 04:00 AM

Report Abusive Post

Hahaha...

Well that would be interesting considering he's posted current images of ISON this morning??

spock
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 22028613

Telescopic image, yes. Even with an 8" lx200 and Atik CCD camera, it's still just barely visible. It's about 1500 times dimmer than anything you can see by naked eye.
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
09/07/2013 08:00 AM
Report Abusive Post

Hahaha...

spock

Telescopic image, yes. Even with an 8" lx200 and Atik CCD camera, it's still just barely visible. It's about 1500 times dimmer than anything you can see by naked eye.
 Quoting: Dr. Astro

Shouldn't it be showing signs of brightening by now? After all its passed through the frost line?!

spock
Dr. AstroModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 33360181
United States
09/07/2013 08:02 AM

Report Abusive Post

Hahaha...

spock

Quoting: Dr. Astro

Shouldn't it be showing signs of brightening by now? After all its passed through the frost line?!

spock

Technically it is, but it's under-performing initial expectations.
[link to www.brucegary.net]
I bet it follows the green line:
[link to www.brucegary.net]
Which equals massive disappointment for most.
astrobanner2
shimba

User ID: 46395881
United Kingdom
09/07/2013 10:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Based in London, have a Celestron Prodigy 130 for a year so hoping to( so basically in the learning phase) see something of this comet in the scope by 3rd week of October.

Not a terrible good view of the sky from the back garden but someone may know of a good position round London.
Thanks for the previous posts, at least I know I need to look to the north eastern sky maybe towards Cancer or Leo in the upcoming weeks.

GLP