The Roman
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 192446
Italy
02/07/2007 12:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Tecnical question for video geeks! about IPod
Let say I bought a IPod 80Gb I would like to copy inside it some of the videos from google and from youtube, is that possible and if yes what is the way to do it? I know Ipod need mp4 video format, So i suppose i need to download them and then convert them.

If anybody can point me exactly to the programs i need I would be grateful I need some of them to be disponible on the Ipod.
Matter is light. Energy is light. We are all light beings.

-Albert Einstein-

My Hobby: [link to www.radiogalaxy.eu]

....and so came the time of the X° and last Crusade, for Truth and Liberation...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 192438
United States
02/07/2007 12:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Tecnical question for video geeks! about IPod
Thanks for buying American!!
The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 12:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 192438

My pleasure, I love Apple and always have, my first pc was an Apple II..

-Albert Einstein-

....and so came the time of the X° and last Crusade, for Truth and Liberation...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 192438
United States
02/07/2007 12:52 PM
Report Abusive Post

My pleasure, I love Apple and always have, my first pc was an Apple II..
 Quoting: The Roman

Apple is awesome. My daugher has the Ipod 30gb, she has two movies on it, a video, and over 400 songs. And it is not even halfway full. Not even close.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 163909
United States
02/07/2007 12:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 192438

IPods are made in China.
The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 01:08 PM
Report Abusive Post

IPods are made in China.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 163909

Everything or almost everything is assembled in china today...this dont make it less good, is still an Apple product and you can see it one mile away. Beside this was not intended to be an Apple advertisement :) anybody know about my question?.

-Albert Einstein-

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18710
United States
02/07/2007 01:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Every pod I have seen dies within 2 years and is unfixable...

Congrats you suckers...

chuckle
Delicious Monster

User ID: 179394
United Kingdom
02/07/2007 01:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Downloading from Google Video
If a video has been uploaded to Google so that it can be downloaded you will be able to do this.

On Google, to the right of the screen where the video file plays, look for a Download button with a drop down list beneath it.

The default selection is "Windows / Mac", if you click on the arrow, you will be able to select "Video iPod / Sony PSP" choose this option and click the Download button.

How to add the video to iTunes:
1) Click on the "Movies" icon under the LIBRARY heading.
2) Select File -> Add to Library
3) Navigate to the file and click on the OK button.
4) Right-click the file you just imported and select "Convert Selection for iPod"

On Windows, once its converted it should automatically synchronise with your iPod when you plug it in (according to a friend of mine) ... I use a Mac - its slightly different.

Hope this helps anyway ...
The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Downloading from Google Video
If a video has been uploaded to Google so that it can be downloaded you will be able to do this.

On Google, to the right of the screen where the video file plays, look for a Download button with a drop down list beneath it.

The default selection is "Windows / Mac", if you click on the arrow, you will be able to select "Video iPod / Sony PSP" choose this option and click the Download button.

How to add the video to iTunes:
1) Click on the "Movies" icon under the LIBRARY heading.
2) Select File -> Add to Library
3) Navigate to the file and click on the OK button.
4) Right-click the file you just imported and select "Convert Selection for iPod"

On Windows, once its converted it should automatically synchronise with your iPod when you plug it in (according to a friend of mine) ... I use a Mac - its slightly different.

Hope this helps anyway ...
 Quoting: Delicious Monster

Hello Delicious, thanks for this explanation, I tryed to download sometime the videos using that download button but all it has doen is to dowload a short file that could then be oplayed inside the window google player...I dont know what I have done wrong it doenst download the video but just someting like a link to the video that then be played.

I had not the Ipod last time now I will try again and see if this as changed, there is a similar way for youtube?

thanks!

-Albert Einstein-

Delicious Monster

User ID: 179394
United Kingdom
02/07/2007 01:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hello Delicious, thanks for this explanation, I tryed to download sometime the videos using that download button but all it has doen is to dowload a short file that could then be oplayed inside the window google player...I dont know what I have done wrong it doenst download the video but just someting like a link to the video that then be played.

I had not the Ipod last time now I will try again and see if this as changed, there is a similar way for youtube?

thanks!

Hi Roman,

Sounds like you're forgetting to select "Video iPod / Sony PSP" from the option list underneath the "Download" button. This will download the file as a lower resolution avi or mp4 file, but you will not require the google player to run it - which is what the other option does.

DM
hf
The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 01:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

thanks!

Hi Roman,

Sounds like you're forgetting to select "Video iPod / Sony PSP" from the option list underneath the "Download" button. This will download the file as a lower resolution avi or mp4 file, but you will not require the google player to run it - which is what the other option does.

DM
hf
 Quoting: Delicious Monster

THANKS I will try it later and let you know, if it worked ;D

-Albert Einstein-

A.L.F

User ID: 75037
United Kingdom
02/07/2007 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
*ahem* *glances round all nervous like*
You aint seen me.......right?!?!?

[link to video.qooqle.jp]

That will get the Youtube Video down in FLV (Flash video format) which is the native format that they use to stream the video, so you get it in the 'raw' form, meaning you can compress/convert it as you see fit.

You will need someway of converting them. Let me know if you have any problems dude.

Peace

A.L.F

P.S. Try this link in it: [link to www.youtube.com]
it's a video I made, but the DVD quality was lost was the squashed the video down from 98mb to 15mb!! I nearly cried.... anyway I give you permission to copy ;) If you like it then please vote!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 125775
United States
02/07/2007 01:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
www.keepvid.com
A.L.F

United Kingdom
02/07/2007 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
125775 - Kudos dude, good find. Think I will bookmark that one!!
The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 01:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

That will get the Youtube Video down in FLV (Flash video format) which is the native format that they use to stream the video, so you get it in the 'raw' form, meaning you can compress/convert it as you see fit.

You will need someway of converting them. Let me know if you have any problems dude.

Peace

A.L.F

it's a video I made, but the DVD quality was lost was the squashed the video down from 98mb to 15mb!! I nearly cried.... anyway I give you permission to copy ;) If you like it then please vote!
 Quoting: A.L.F

hihihi thanks a lot ALF, you are quite invisible to be ;)

Will look if there is any legit program to convert.. :S

-Albert Einstein-

Sigma

User ID: 192469
United States
02/07/2007 02:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

Peace

A.L.F

hihihi thanks a lot ALF, you are quite invisible to be ;)

Will look if there is any legit program to convert.. :S

download.com and type in file conversion
..|..
The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 02:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
www.keepvid.com
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 125775

Nice now is just question to buy that converter proggy.

-Albert Einstein-

The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
I found one that is free and should do all the things..

[link to www.download.com]

-Albert Einstein-

The Roman  (OP)

Italy
02/07/2007 02:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
www.keepvid.com
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 125775

this site doent seems to work for me, when i clik download there is a blank page happearing, maybe it doent work on firefox.

-Albert Einstein-

A.L.F

United Kingdom
02/07/2007 02:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
It downloads for me. If you want I can host it on my server and give you a link via PM.

Peace

A.L.F
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 178398
United States
02/07/2007 02:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Every pod I have seen dies within 2 years and is unfixable...

Congrats you suckers...

chuckle
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18710

hmmm... strange... mines going on 3 and works like a dream.
20-40

User ID: 4891
Australia
02/07/2007 02:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
I tryed to download sometime the videos using that download button but all it has doen is to dowload a short file that could then be oplayed inside the window google player...I dont know what I have done wrong it doenst download the video but just someting like a link to the video that then be played.

You've downloaded just a small file with .gvp extension on your computer.
This small file must be opened in a Google Video Player, and then video file will be downloaded (viewed during download).

For the Google video:
-----------------------------

Download and install some DivX codec >5.
Download and install Virtual Dub.
Download and install the Google Video Player. In Options - set the download directory. Next time, don't watch the video in browser - on-line; instead watching, press a "Download" button on video page. Save this small file on your desktop. Close the browser and open this file with double-click. GVPlayer will download it in the folder chosen before.
Newly downloaded file (you can watch the video during download) can be converted in .avi format with Virtual Dub in the matter of minutes. Open this .gvp video file in VD, choose Video -> Direct Stream copy, Audio -> Direct Stream copy, then File -> Save as Avi.
This .avi format file could be edited, filtered and manipulated with inside VD, or converted in VCD/SVCD/DVD format with some MPG encoder.

For the Dial-Up and "straight" download of Google videos:
----------------------------------------------------------

Download and install the Google Video Player. In Options - set the download directory.

Next time, don't watch the video in browser - on-line; instead press a "Download" button on video page.
Save this small file on your desktop.
Close the browser and open this file (.gvp) with notepad or preferred text editor. (wordwrap!)

In the text, find the line:

Like > url:http:/. …blah…blah…bunch of numbers…
Copy and paste ALL from url: (from http to the end of numbers, precisely the whole line EXCEPT "url:" part to the next line that goes "docid:") in the address field of your browser or some downloading program. Hit enter …and voila!
Download window will pop up; choose the destination folder - and wait - dozen hours…
However, with DSL or Cable, goes faster…
After the download you can watch downloaded .avi file with any player.

After downloading you could do editing (if you want) with program (free) Virtual Dub [link to prdownloads.sourceforge.net]
For conversion you need (free) ffmpeg.

ffmpeg.exe -i in.avi -y -an -s cif -vcodec mpeg4 -pass 1 -qscale 2 -f mp4 out.mp4
ffmpeg.exe -i in.avi -y -s cif -vcodec mpeg4 -pass 2 -b 500 -mbd 2 -4mv -trell -acodec aac -ab 128 -f mp4 out.mp4

If the input video is 320x240, replace -s cif (352x288 - European standard) with -s 320x240.

.mp4 or .mov extension of output file shouldn't be a problem.
flv to avi
Prior any conversion you must check fps (frames per second - 25, 29.97 or else) and frame size (mostly 320 x 240 ) - for that I use mplayer.exe. In the chosen procedure change this values accordingly:

mencoder.exe input.flv -noskip -sws 2 -vf scale=320:240 -ovc lavc -ffourcc divx -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vhq:vbitrate=500:keyint=250:autoaspect -ofps 25.000 -nosound -o in.avi

mencoder.exe input.flv -noskip -af volume=+1dB:channels=2 -sws 2 -vf scale=320:240 -ovc lavc -ffourcc divx -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:vhq:vbitrate=500:keyint=250:autoaspect -ofps 25.000 -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=2:q=6 -o in.avi

ffmpeg.exe -i in.avi -vn -acodec aac -ab 128 audio.mp4

mp4box.exe -import in.avi#video video.mp4

mp4box.exe -merge video.mp4 audio.mp4 movie.mp4

avi to mp4 if you already have .avi

mencoder.exe in.avi -vf scale=352:288 -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vqmin=4:vqmax=4 -o video.avi

mencoder.exe in.avi -vf scale=352:288 -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=3:vbitrate=500:mbd=2:v4mv:trell -o video.avi

mencoder.exe in.avi -vf scale=352:288 -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=3:vbitrate=500:mbd=2:v4mv:trell -o video.avi

ffmpeg.exe -i in.avi -vn -acodec aac -ab 128 audio.mp4

mp4box.exe -import video.avi#video video.mp4

mp4box.exe -merge video.mp4 audio.mp4 movie.mp4

or avi to mp4 with ffmpeg.exe

ffmpeg.exe -i in.avi -y -an -s cif -vcodec mpeg4 -pass 1 -qscale 2 -f mp4 out.mp4

ffmpeg.exe -i in.avi -y -s cif -vcodec mpeg4 -pass 2 -b 500 -mbd 2 -4mv -trell -acodec aac -ab 128 -f mp4 out.mp4

or convert avi with VLC or commercial software. Anyway, you must get .avi first, then make final conversion (.flv files sucks!).

I found an old post of mine, and to say few things more, anyone interested should read it:

>>The downloaded video files from Youtube are generally in FLV format (Flash Video) which is an Adobe standard for video compression. It has fast becoming the web standard for delivering online video (replacing Apple QuickTime, AVI, Windows Media and Real rm formats) because Flash Video can be viewed inside Macromedia Flash Players which is shipped by default with most web browsers.

The most common question - how to split a large FLV video file into smaller chunks for editing or resharing only the interesting tidbits on the internet. To break an FLV file, get the free FLV Parser - a tiny command-line tool to split FLVs into pieces. Its intended use is to convert a large FLV into a series of shorter FLVs based on a series of millisecond-based timecodes. Using the -s switch will split the audio and video of the outputted files; the audio track will be extracted as a series of MP3 files, and the short FLVs produced will have no audio track at all.

[link to www.peldi.com]

The free Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer software from Super can convert FLV files to practically any other video format including MP4, MOV H.264, AVI, ASF or Flash SWF animations.

[link to www.erightsoft.com]

Say you complete editing your movie in Windows Movie Maker or VirtualDub [link to prdownloads.sourceforge.net] and now left with an AVI file that you want to convert to FLV. Just get the free Riva FLV encoder and relax. The Riva encoder even lets you select parts of the video that you want to convert to FLV and crop the rest.

[link to www.rivavx.com]

I am not aware of any free software that let you join FLV files other than the expensive Macromedia Flash Professional. However, here's a simple workaround to join several flv video file - convert individual flv files to avi using Super [mentioned above], then join the multiple Avi files into a single avi file using free VirtualDub and finally convert this avi back to FLV using Riya FLV encoder.

I hope it will help.

20-40
Derek One Seven (Viable Light Being) on Spiritual warfare thread:

quote 1: 20-40, you seem to take a page out of Nazi Joesph Goebbells', and Adolf Hitler's handbooks (about need to repeat a lie) THEN:
quote 2: 20-40, it is of no surprise to me that you, an obviously concienceless pervert.
quote 3: 20-40, it is of no surprise to me that you, an obviously concienceless pervert.
quote 4: and you are a liar, with admitted connections to the CIA.
quote 5: you are a hypocritical pervert, with admitted connections to the CIA.
quote 6: you are an obvious concienceless hypocrite and pervert, 20-40.

Over and over and over and over. Same post with few sentences added or omitted, same lies and whatever I have tried to say, he has ignored it, and keep posting the same.
BTW, I swear on bible that I have never tried to warn him about misspelled word "concienceless".
A.L.F

United Kingdom
02/07/2007 02:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can't send PMs :(
The Roman (OP)
Italy
02/07/2007 03:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
It downloads for me. If you want I can host it on my server and give you a link via PM.

Peace

A.L.F

I tryed to dowload a google video but i hasent worked, but worked with a youtube video, the problem is that the SUPER program seems to find errors on both of the video downloaded and the result file is an empty mpe file.
The Roman (OP)
Italy
02/07/2007 03:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can't send PMs :(

Oh well I'll just post it here and then delete when you are done.........

[link to www.theboyflood.com]

I got it from that download.com site thanks. but it doent seems to convert the .flv without errors, I wil just try the normal way suggested earlier.
A.L.F

United Kingdom
02/07/2007 03:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
From what I understand they mess around with the file header in the video file. There are ways to fix this but prob easier to find another way. Good luck!!
A.L.F

United Kingdom
02/07/2007 03:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Actually this wiki makes a good read. But I am a bit of a geek.....

[link to en.wikipedia.org]
The Roman (OP)
Italy
02/07/2007 03:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
From what I understand they mess around with the file header in the video file. There are ways to fix this but prob easier to find another way. Good luck!!

I have got one done :) I used a program i downloaded earlier named downloadhelper it install on the adress bar of the browser and copy the .flv file then i converted it with super, and imported in the IPod trough Itunes, it's playing on the Ipod now :) I need to see what the best result quality/space there is, the Ipod if I am right is a 320x240 resolution.

Yes i think some video have some sort of protection maybe..I am not sure anyway I am looking for free ones made to be shared not the copyrighted ones.
The Roman (OP)
Italy
02/07/2007 04:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Actually this wiki makes a good read. But I am a bit of a geek.....

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

ALF i noticed there is a new release at this adress I am downloading it now and see if it may work better, the one on download.com is old 2005.

[link to www.erightsoft.net]
The Roman (OP)
Italy
02/07/2007 04:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
I tryed to download sometime the videos using that download button but all it has doen is to dowload a short file that could then be oplayed inside the window google player...I dont know what I have done wrong it doenst download the video but just someting like a link to the video that then be played.

You've downloaded just a small file with .gvp extension on your computer.
This small file must be opened in a Google Video Player, and then this file will be downloaded (viewed during download).

For the Google video:
-----------------------------

Download and install the Google Video Player. In Options - set the download directory. Next time, don't watch the video in browser - on-line; instead watching, press a "Download" button on video page. Save this small file on your desktop. Close the browser and open this file with double-click. GVPlayer will download it in the folder chosen before.
Newly downloaded file (you can watch the video during download) can be converted in .avi format with Virtual Dub in the matter of minutes. Open this .gvp video file in VD, choose Video -> Direct Stream copy, Audio -> Direct Stream copy, then File -> Save as Avi.
This .avi format file could be edited, filtered and manipulated with inside VD, or converted in VCD/SVCD/DVD format with some MPG encoder.

For the Dial-Up and "straight" download of Google videos:
----------------------------------------------------------

Download and install the Google Video Player. In Options - set the download directory.

Next time, don't watch the video in browser - on-line; instead press a "Download" button on video page.
Save this small file on your desktop.
Close the browser and open this file (.gvp) with notepad or preferred text editor. (wordwrap!)

In the text, find the line:

Like > url:http:/. …blah…blah…bunch of numbers…
Copy and paste ALL from url: (from http to the end of numbers, precisely the whole line EXCEPT "url:" part to the next line that goes "docid:") in the address field of your browser or some downloading program. Hit enter …and voila!
Download window will pop up; choose the destination folder - and wait - dozen hours…
However, with DSL or Cable, goes faster…
After the download you can watch downloaded .avi file with any player.

After downloading you could do editing (if you want) with program (free) Virtual Dub [link to prdownloads.sourceforge.net]
For conversion you need (free) ffmpeg.

If the input video is 320x240, replace -s cif (352x288 - European standard) with -s 320x240.

.mp4 or .mov extension of output file shouldn't be a problem.

20-40
 Quoting: 20-40

Thanks for your post, I am still experimenting based on the various suggestion here, I have founf that most of the google video stop the conversion at some point resulting on a 0kb files, trying to figure if it's a decoding problem or if these moveis have some sort of code to avoid it.

flv to mp4 that what I am interested to do.
20-40

User ID: 4891
Australia
02/07/2007 04:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for your post, I am still experimenting based on the various suggestion here, I have founf that most of the google video stop the conversion at some point resulting on a 0kb files, trying to figure if it's a decoding problem or if these moveis have some sort of code to avoid it.

flv to mp4 that what I am interested to do.
 Quoting: The Roman 192446

Look Roman, I do this for living. You must reindex gvp (slightly modified avi) or gvp dowloaded directly as avi (as I wrote) files in avi with VDub.

I've just updated my firsting post here about flv.

20-40
Derek One Seven (Viable Light Being) on Spiritual warfare thread:

quote 1: 20-40, you seem to take a page out of Nazi Joesph Goebbells', and Adolf Hitler's handbooks (about need to repeat a lie) THEN:
quote 2: 20-40, it is of no surprise to me that you, an obviously concienceless pervert.
quote 3: 20-40, it is of no surprise to me that you, an obviously concienceless pervert.
quote 4: and you are a liar, with admitted connections to the CIA.
quote 5: you are a hypocritical pervert, with admitted connections to the CIA.
quote 6: you are an obvious concienceless hypocrite and pervert, 20-40.

Over and over and over and over. Same post with few sentences added or omitted, same lies and whatever I have tried to say, he has ignored it, and keep posting the same.
BTW, I swear on bible that I have never tried to warn him about misspelled word "concienceless".

GLP