By Jupiter
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 129117
Spain
04/03/2007 09:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Large Earthquakes Increasing in Frequency
There have been 35 earthquakes greater than magnitude 8 in the last 36 years.

Taken as periods of 12 years:

1972...1983 6 Quakes Total Energy = 43MegaTons TNT

1984...1995 10 Quakes Total Energy = 95.6 MegaTons TNT

1996...2007 19 Quakes Total Energy = 507 MegaTons TNT*

*Note: 2007 is not yet of course a full year.

Looks progressive to me.

[link to www.jupitersdance.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 218240
United States
04/03/2007 10:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Large Earthquakes Increasing in Frequency
Earthquake registering 7.0 to strike California on April 12.
By Jupiter  (OP)

Spain
04/03/2007 10:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Extrapolating very roughly from that rise we could estimate:

2008...2019 40 quakes Total Energy output = 1000+ MegaTons TNT

or is it going exponential?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 218305
India
04/03/2007 10:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Extrapolating very roughly from that rise we could estimate:

2008...2019 40 quakes Total Energy output = 1000+ MegaTons TNT

or is it going exponential?
 Quoting: By Jupiter

I am going with my gut feeling that says it's gonna be exponential coz of late it has been right on target too many times to prove mere coincidence.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 218314
United States
04/03/2007 10:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
With an increase in Tsunamis in the Southern Pacific, I would say that something major is stirring down there. I wonder if a massive volcano eruption is pending, something that would swallow a large island or some such.
HeidiLore

User ID: 201146
Canada
04/03/2007 10:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
But...but...the scientists say this is normal! THEY can't be wrong!
Visit my website...

[link to heidi-lore.tripod.com]

Need to email? [email protected]

Visit the GLP video site and click on groups:

[link to youtube.com]

The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference.

I believe I can see the future, 'cause I repeat the same routine. I think I used to have a purpose, but then again, it might have been a dream
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 218309
Ireland
04/03/2007 10:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Zetas Right Again! Bush's brain to be removed for inspection...

ufo56
:dubya:
By Jupiter  (OP)

Spain
04/03/2007 10:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
With an increase in Tsunamis in the Southern Pacific, I would say that something major is stirring down there. I wonder if a massive volcano eruption is pending, something that would swallow a large island or some such.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 218314

Kavachi in the Solomons has been erupting as recently as 2001 I believe. A submarine volcano it is mostly below sea level. I wonder how close the recent earthquake was and whether we will see signs of renewed activity.

[link to www.volcano.si.edu]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 203209
Chile
04/03/2007 11:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
There are also problems in the south of Chile. No one knows what the fuck is going on there, but studies has confirmed the presence of magma right under the southest city in the country.

Having tremors all day, every day. And that zone of Chile historically didn't have earthquakes, because is not in the "ring of fire".

Anyone with common sense can confirm at least that something is wrong with this.
Webbot

User ID: 190126
United States
04/03/2007 11:10 AM

Report Abusive Post
nope. better technology to measure and keep records. we are discovering and recording all the quakes, not so in the past.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Doug Hopefull

User ID: 212488
United States
04/03/2007 11:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
But...but...the scientists say this is normal! THEY can't be wrong!
 Quoting: HeidiLore

YES - The Scientists!

5a
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 191736
United States
04/03/2007 11:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ah but they tell us less now... Not to be trusted... Conflict of paycheck with truth...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 85727
United States
04/03/2007 11:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow!
[link to aslwww.cr.usgs.gov]
Sir_Chancealot

User ID: 164485
United States
04/03/2007 11:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
nope. better technology to measure and keep records. we are discovering and recording all the quakes, not so in the past.

The network for the data (USGS) has been pretty consistent since 1973, earlier than that you may have a point. Sometimes you just have to believe the data.
 Quoting: By Jupiter 129117

Yes, because 8.0 magnitude quakes just can't be felt without delicate and precise measurements.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 85727
United States
04/03/2007 12:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Check it out: [link to www.n3kl.org]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 180349
United States
04/03/2007 12:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
And nearby is New Zealand with two recently active Volcanoes....

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

"New Zealand is part of Zealandia, a continent that is 93% submerged."

.......Lands Rising...........
MrJoshua

User ID: 54983
United States
04/03/2007 12:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Earthqaukes have been going on for billions of year how is the last 40 years of statistical data able to make any sort of predictions.

I say B.S.
Uuggerr

User ID: 208843
United States
04/03/2007 12:14 PM
Report Abusive Post

The network for the data (USGS) has been pretty consistent since 1973, earlier than that you may have a point. Sometimes you just have to believe the data.

Yes, because 8.0 magnitude quakes just can't be felt without delicate and precise measurements.
 Quoting: Sir_Chancealot

There are a number of reasons his statement is false.

#1: btw 1973 and present more remote monitoring stations have been installed and are recording shimmers not recorded before, and recording smaller ones. With the installation of more stations and better equiptment they can more precisely measure the quake.

#2: a 7.1 is ten times the power of a 7.0, thus it would take 10 7.0's to release the power of 1 7.1. with that said, all it takes is 1 nice sized 8.0 and throw that data completely out of context.

you should not be looking at a summary of 10 years, # and total power out. You should be looking at the actual data (the numbers are small enough) to see what is the "mean" average of the data vs total power out.

brb, to explain to you how your data can be giving you false visions.
Uuggerr

User ID: 208843
United States
04/03/2007 12:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
OMG, this gave me the answer to global warming!!!!

[link to www.seanbonner.com]

There you have it... look at the numbers right and you can see anything.

Peace
Atma

User ID: 205746
United States
04/03/2007 12:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 180349
United States
04/03/2007 12:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
......Except for the many many Earthquakes that have been,

currently, ordered to go "unreported".......
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 217538
Greece
04/03/2007 12:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Earthqaukes have been going on for billions of year how is the last 40 years of statistical data able to make any sort of predictions.

I say B.S.
 Quoting: MrJoshua

yes what you say is BS.
very nice of you to admit it ;)
* Vital signs of life
User ID: 215827
United States
04/03/2007 12:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
People who say large earthquakes are not increasing are in for one hell of a shock. Because they need more proof. So proof nature will give them. Their arrogance, contempt and disrespect must be corrected. If they hold on to their denial for too long they will lose their minds completely.

Prepare yourselves for the greatest changes the world has ever seen.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 218351
United Kingdom
04/03/2007 12:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Zetas Right Again! Bush's brain to be removed for inspection...

ufo56
:dubya:
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 218309

What brain?
By Jupiter  (OP)

Spain
04/03/2007 12:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.
 Quoting: Atma

I have read this Atma and agree that you can cut the data many ways, but I do think the very large earthquakes (+8.0) are indicative of an increase in quantity and energy output. The argument is that the planet is becoming less stable and that a significant increase in the power of quakes is becoming evident. I for one believe we will see a sharp rise in earthquakes and eruptive phenomena and a sharp rise in their output.

Interestingly the site [link to www.jupitersdance.com] has been visited by residents of the Solomon Islands in the past.

The April 1st earthquake was fairly close, 20 miles approx from Mt Veve. Which has erupted in the past 10,000 years.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]
By Jupiter  (OP)

Spain
04/03/2007 12:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
This news story on GLP is also pertinent.

[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Sir_Chancealot

User ID: 164485
United States
04/03/2007 12:51 PM
Report Abusive Post

#1: btw 1973 and present more remote monitoring stations have been installed and are recording shimmers not recorded before, and recording smaller ones. With the installation of more stations and better equiptment they can more precisely measure the quake.

#2: a 7.1 is ten times the power of a 7.0, thus it would take 10 7.0's to release the power of 1 7.1. with that said, all it takes is 1 nice sized 8.0 and throw that data completely out of context.

you should not be looking at a summary of 10 years, # and total power out. You should be looking at the actual data (the numbers are small enough) to see what is the "mean" average of the data vs total power out.

Quoting: Uuggerr

I understand what you are saying, but what I meant is that I seriously doubt if there has EVER been an 8.0 earthquake that went unreported.
User # 78/68

User ID: 214681
Canada
04/03/2007 12:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
"People who say large earthquakes are not increasing are in for one hell of a shock. Because they need more proof. So proof nature will give them. Their arrogance, contempt and disrespect must be corrected. If they hold on to their denial for too long they will lose their minds completely.

Prepare yourselves for the greatest changes the world has ever seen."

Yep, the debunkers and ones in denial are in for one hell of a shock. And these guys remain firmly planted in their denial even though another tsunami pummelled the south pacific. What a coincidence!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 90848
Germany
04/03/2007 01:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Matthew 24:4-8

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

I apologize if this offends any atheists out there. The Bible just keeps lining up with current events. What can you do?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 218365
Germany
04/03/2007 01:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Matthew 24:4-8

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

I apologize if this offends any atheists out there. The Bible just keeps lining up with current events. What can you do?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 90848

As an ex-atheist, who rectified his erroneous thinking by intensive and highly analytical and crititical studies of history and all sciences, I don't mind at all =)

I have never taken the liberty, but I would say that in the past 100 years, the phenomena described in the Bible in regards to the 'Times of the End' on a global level has increased steadily, and historically unproportionally. All this despite the better reporting and reliable scientific data etc. I believe that it has truly been exponential.

One of my favorite Bible passages, which served as a wake-up call for me especially was 2. Timothy 3:2;

"But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth."

I don't think that one can describe our generation more better than that. Even my still-atheistically-inclined collegues admit the eerie accuracy of that statement. Pick a line, you will find studies that show that there has been a steady, unsettling increase in all these things, and especially remarkable following 1914 and even moreso since 1964.

Keep your guard brother, and "fight the good fight"!
By Jupiter  (OP)

Spain
04/03/2007 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Uuggerr

1. I think the monitoring was pretty global once the need to monitor nuke tests in the early 50's...an 8 wouldn't get by the system.

2. Using a calculation to give an estimated energy output seems more meaningful in this context than a mean. True, if you go back to the early sixties you would see a spike from the Chilean and Alaskan quakes which would skew the picture a little. If you go back further than that the monitoring coverage might be suspect.

But if your inflation linked paycheck doubled every 12 years you'd still figure it hadn't gone up?

GLP