Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,822 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 962,760
Pageviews Today: 1,756,811Threads Today: 571Posts Today: 12,877
05:15 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

BREAKING: UK Official: Worst Floods In Modern History...

Fantasia II
Koo Koo Ka Choo

User ID: 255967
United States
07/23/2007 12:56 PM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
BREAKING: UK Official: Worst Floods In Modern History...
Humanitarian crisis as thousands face new evacuation...
LOOTING, PANIC BUYING - AND A WATER SHORTAGE...

Official: Worst Floods In Modern History
Updated: 17:43, Monday July 23, 2007

Tens of thousands of people are without electricity or water as Britain suffers its worst flooding in modern history.

Worst flooding for decadesSubmerged areas are bracing themselves for further chaos with water levels not expected to peak until tomorrow morning.

Gloucestershire is likely to be hit by yet more flooding as the River Severn is expected to rise once again in the early hours.

Severn Trent Water confirmed "at least" 350,000 homes in the county will be without water by this evening.

The peak level of the Thames is expected to travel through Oxford at about 2.45am and Abingdon at about 6.45am.

Environment Secretary Hilary Benn has told MPs the flooding emergency is "far from over".

West London and the Thames Valley could be the next parts of Britain to go underwater as the floods spread east.

Hundreds of homes could be flooded when torrential rain hits the capital in the next 24 hours.

The Environment Agency has issued flood warnings for several stretches of the Thames from Oxford, through Windsor to Shepperton and Teddington.

Police in Gloucestershire have warned that the "unprecedented" crisis has not passed.

Monsoon-like rainstorms have overwhelmed swathes of Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire and Gloucestershire - and insurers have said the final repair bill could top £2bn.

The floods, which have hit more than 10,000 homes, have been described as the worst in modern history.

An Environment Agency spokesman said: "We have not seen flooding of this magnitude before. The benchmark was 1947 and this has already exceeded it."

Scene in Tewkesbury sent in by a Sky News viewerStranded residents have been evacuated from their houses by helicopter, and massive disruption has been caused to road and rail networks.

Gordon Brown has been to Gloucestershire to see the devastation caused by flooding.

The Prime Minister said: "We are going to be increasing the money that goes to flood and coastal defences so that we can be as well protected as possible in the future."

Police at an emergency services briefing in Gloucester said the water treatment works could be out of action for at least a week - and possibly two before it would be fully operative again.

This would have serious implications for water supply in the Gloucester, Didsbury and Cheltenham areas, they warned.

Tewkesbury in GloucestershireIn Gloucestershire, members of the armed forces have been taking 600 water tanks into the area while 22 miles of temporary mains are put in place to enable water to be pumped from outside the county.

Emergency crews have been working round the clock to protect electricity substations from the rising waters.

Thousands in Gloucestershire and parts of Herefordshire were left without power after Castlemeads power station in Gloucester was shut down.

The crisis has sparked panic-buying in supermarkets, with shortages of milk, bread, water and petrol all reported.

Thieves have taken advantage of the chaos on the roads by breaking into abandoned cars in Worcestershire.

Upton-upon-Severn, a town in the county, has been completely cut off by floodwater.

Forecasters have said there will be no let-up in the rainfall in the week ahead.

Oxford and then Abingdon, Oxfordshire, are both expected to be hit by deluges, as the rain from Friday's torrential storms works its way off the hills and down the Thames.

Flood sightseers are also causing problems for emergency services by ignoring warning signs and pulling over on the roadside to take pictures.

[link to news.sky.com]
George Orwell was right..Black is White, Up is Down, War is Peace...

"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied."

Yesterday is history.......Tomorrow a mystery.......Today is a gift......thats why we call it the Present!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2276
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 12:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: BREAKING: UK Official: Worst Floods In Modern History...
Yes it's true - it took me 5 hours on friday evening to drive 17 miles. So many roads closed because of flooding.
Fantasia II  (OP)
Koo Koo Ka Choo

User ID: 255967
United States
07/23/2007 01:02 PM

Report Abusive Post
Yes it's true - it took me 5 hours on friday evening to drive 17 miles. So many roads closed because of flooding.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2276

My prayers are with you. hf
George Orwell was right..Black is White, Up is Down, War is Peace...

"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied."

Yesterday is history.......Tomorrow a mystery.......Today is a gift......thats why we call it the Present!!!
Khain and J*p*n*s* Patriot
User ID: 271147
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
So. Anglo-Saxon Alliance. You didn't get it with Katrina. But now. Does anybody amongst you feel like claiming you have better weather control tech than us?

We didn't think so. For the rest of you then: who's the real Centre-of-Power in the Anglo-Saxon Alliance then? It's more evident now because they, personally, have been hit and so UNDERSTAND. Likewise with Japan and China. We're the power behind the Dragon Throne. Why? Because Black Dragon Society set it up like that, courtesy Yoshio Kodama.

[link to www.voltairenet.org]

Khain and J*p*n*s* Patriot (Aum).
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 269044
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
It sure is whacky weather over here in the UK.

I live in the nw - so am well away from the flooded areas in the news - but I will tell you that it's rained persistently for weeks! ..I dunno? 4, 5, maybe 6 weeks of very, very heavy rain.

I live quite high above sea level, I'm lucky ..but I do know that all of my rain wants to go to sea level :(

I feel bad for the lowland folks.

& it ain't over yet :(

[link to www.metoffice.gov.uk]

I reckon we've got 7-10 more days of this, and still then, the Azores High don't look strong enough?!

The Atlantic Lows are behaving as if it's October :(

Something is seriously fucked up!

Did y'all read the thread about the Amazonian basin's 2nd year of drought?! :(

Water is liquid

hf
Khain
User ID: 271147
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Note for those who would claim such a thing is simply 'natural weather conditions':

It is summer now in the UK. Even for England, such unseasonal summer weather is definitely not 'normal', I would go so far as to say not even natural. It is also raining in the UK lots now, it is not just media propaganada. To confirm this we have our legal counsel based in the UK, which is where my posting sources thru in terms of IP addresses.

Thus, our gentleness can be confirmed. Remember UK: we could have demonstrated this to you with another Monica or Katrina. As already stated: don't make us SINK your City-of-London differently.

Great Hanshin Earthquake (Kobe) of 1995 referenced here. We sourced that to Merry Christmas Institute of Scotland fame, so we do have other options to claim our debts from you, as you may know.

To the public: City of London is going to be used to finance Communism worldwide of a more luxury variety, starting with Africa. Meaning: you all get free money, 3-4 months holiday a year, no taxes. But a worldwide, gentle and civilized (fairly) Yakuza presence. This presence is what we will replace your corrupt legal systems with. Like Japan, crime will not occur of its own accord, fairly similarly to how your Mafia neighbourhoods in New York are in terms of the streets and neighbourhood being safe for the common man. And you won't need to pay us protection for that, either. After all, we have banks.

Say thank-you when we pay you. Not before.

Regards,
Khain.
Witness_

User ID: 111084
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
No question that it's global warming.
Bush and his cabal should be brought to trial.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi me again..

I've just been watching the stuff on the news..& it got me thinking.

..I've worked outdoors for 20 years & more, you kinda get to know the seasons and the signs.

One of my favourite 'signs' was the first warm breeze on a sunny spring day that tickled across your face and whispered in your ear 'Summer is coming' (sounds like romantic nonsense! ..but it's not! - I'm sure some of you will know what I mean?!)

...anyway, It didn't come this year :(
fcuk wit
User ID: 235208
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
LMFAO

whos laughing now chicken little pricks, you need science to tell you whats fuckin real? you fuckin sheeps deserve to drown and die!
fcuk wit
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
and then there was alien intervention PMSL
I'm such a lost soul paranoid idiot insane chicken little fool..........................................NOT! ROFLMFAO
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 271156
Netherlands
07/23/2007 01:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Severn Trent Water confirmed "at least" 350,000 homes in the county will be without water by this evening.
 Quoting: Fantasia II

Aha...!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 262543
United States
07/23/2007 01:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
When the levee breaks
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
fcuk wit

So remind us how you got your name then?

iamwith
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
fcuk wit

So remind us how you got your name then?

iamwith
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 269044

Cos i'm a cunt and you are wise and great :)
fcuk wit
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
that was me by the way :)
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
feel like a twat do we mr wise man?
Glowing Eye

User ID: 271158
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
I know about the floods cos I live in England there are flood warnings near where I live.
fcuk wit
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
lemme tell ya something about me, i'm an idiot, i'm unaware, i'm uneducated, i'm egotistical, i'm wrong and most prolly evil too!

DO NOT LISTEN TO SHIT LIKE ME!

I KNOW NOTHING!

i'm all the things you need to prove to make yourself feel better............ok!

Believe all that and you're going far mate!?............pmsl
fc wt
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 01:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
lemme tell ya something about me, i'm an idiot, i'm unaware, i'm uneducated, i'm egotistical, i'm wrong and most prolly evil too!

I KNOW NOTHING!

i'm all the things you need to prove to make yourself feel better............ok!

Quoting: fcuk wit 235208

Read this from your POV too not jus mine :)
Anonymous Coward
United States
07/23/2007 01:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
I know about the floods cos I live in England there are flood warnings near where I live.
 Quoting: Glowing Eye

You are so special...who cares?

gangup
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 250474
United States
07/23/2007 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hmmm, Firing the Grid was such a good idea....
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post

I KNOW NOTHING!

Quoting: fcuk wit 235208

You're obviously quite mad. I'm sorry x

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 271008
United States
07/23/2007 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Environment Agency spokesman Anthony Perry said: "We have not seen flooding of this magnitude before. The benchmark was 1947 and this has already exceeded it." [link to news.bbc.co.uk]
Anonymous Coward
United States
07/23/2007 02:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Doing my best GLP fundy zealot impression.

"Sometimes God just has to wash the sin of readying Harry Potter books off you people."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 271167
United States
07/23/2007 02:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
who cares. its weather. when is it ever normal?
ButchHowdy

User ID: 216592
United States
07/23/2007 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Judgment following Brown

Look what WE got after ushering in Bush!
Agent Fescado

User ID: 164710
United States
07/23/2007 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Weather Extremes Hit Europe With Floods And Heatwaves

[link to www.terradaily.com]

by Staff Writers
London (AFP) Jul 23, 2007
The Royal Air Force (RAF) said Sunday it was carrying out probably its biggest peacetime rescue operation in Britain as its helicopters helped evacuate more than 100 people from flood-hit areas. The RAF's announcement highlighted the scale of the flooding in central and western England that caused a third day of chaos for motorists and rail passengers and forced hundreds of people to spend another night in shelters.
"I would say it's probably the biggest," RAF Flight Lieutenant Rhona Metcalfe told AFP when asked to confirm reports that it was biggest peacetime rescue operation.

Since exceptionally heavy rains triggered flash floods on Friday, RAF helicopters have flown 55 sorties to rescue stranded people and bring doctors and medical supplies to people who need them, she said.

Aided by a Coast Guard helicopter, two or three RAF helicopters have plucked to safety more than 100 people since Friday, she said. Though less intense, more rain has fallen during the weekend. The worst flood-hit areas are Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Oxfordshire, counties that lie north and west of London.

In the Gloucester area, the River Severn neared bursting point, as it swelled to its highest levels since floods 60 years ago.

In Gloucestershire, around 2,000 people spent Friday night in emergency shelters after being forced from their cars or homes.

Around 100 people spent a second night in temporary accommodation across the county, but were expected to return home later Sunday, a spokesman for Gloucestershire County Council said.

Police said, however, that the situation in parts of the county was improving and flooding was receding in certain areas.

In neighboring Worcestershire, more than 1,000 people spent Saturday night in temporary accommodation.

Environment Secretary Hilary Benn told reporters in Worcester that the emergency situation was "not yet over."

"There will be further flooding downstream. It is really important that people listen out for warnings."

Barbara Young, the chief executive of the Environment Agency, said such flooding may become more common.

A spokesman for Virgin Trains said two routes were blocked Sunday due to flooding in Cheltenham, Gloucester and Banbury.

Train connections from Birmingham, Britain's second largest city, to the English West Country and the southern coast were cut, he said.

The rail company First Great Western warned that the line from Oxford to Worcester and Hereford was expected to be closed for at least a week with no alternative road transport available.

The Highways Agency said that earlier problems on one of its main roads, the A49 -- which had been closed because of the flooding -- had cleared, and the road has been reopened.

Police were also investigating the possibility that the weather may have played a role in the collision which killed 23-year-old Amith Singh Dhaliwal in Worcestershire on Saturday.

earlier related report
Floods Prompt Biggest Peacetime Rescue For Britain RAF
by Lachlan Carmichael
London (AFP) July 21 - Helicopters rescued dozens of people Saturday following heavy rains and floods in England that also forced more than 2,000 motorists, homeowners and train passengers to spend the night in shelters. Royal Air Force (RAF) and Coastguard helicopters since Friday have plucked scores of people from house rooftops, caravan parks and a bridge as well as areas of land cut off by water, RAF Flight Lieutenant Rhona Metcalfe told AFP.

Metcalfe, speaking by telphone from the rescue centre at RAF Kinloss in Scotland, said "we have rescued in excess of 100 people in the airlift," in the areas of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire in west central England.

She said more people were awaiting air rescue, but gave no numbers.

The same area, bordering Wales, also stranded motorists in their cars. Some were forced to remain in their vehicles overnight and others chose to abandon them, rescue services said.

In Gloucestershire, around 2,000 people spent Friday night in emergency shelters after being forced from their cars or homes.

Police said that people were now starting to leave the centres run by the county council as the waters receded.

Passengers were on Friday night asked to leave trains at Oxford and Banbury, with many of them forced to sleep at a school in north Oxford. Trains were unable to stop at Didcot station because of flooding.

"We've ordered 150 sleeping bags from the army and some of my staff have gone down to the local Tesco to get things like towels, toothpaste and soap," said John Kelly, Oxfordshire's county emergency planner.

"This is not the first choice of school, because the one we were going to had actually been flooded itself," he said.

At Bampton in the west of Oxfordshire, a county just west of London, more than 300 homes flooded and 1,200 left without power.

Police said Friday night they were preparing for up to 100 residents to spend the night at nearby council offices.

Some 141 domestic and international flights leaving from and arriving to London's Heathrow Airport were cancelled because of the rains on Friday, and passengers were being re-issued tickets on Saturday, an airport spokesman said.

The spokesman said flights were running normally on Saturday.

Some of the country's television stations briefly went off the air as satellite signals were disrupted, while computers jammed in offices.

Stewart Wortley, a meterologist at the Met Office, countered suggestions in front-page headlines that the storms hitting Britain resembled monsoons in India.

"Whilst they are unusual to be widespread like this, they're not totally unusual. They have happened before. We wouldn't agree with those comments," Wortley told AFP.

He said 142.6 millimetres (5.6 inches) of rain fell in Pershore, Worcestershire on Friday, far short of the 279 milimetres (10.9 inches) that fell in Martinstown, Dorset on July 18, 1955 -- the daily record in England.

In another comparison, he said, some 43 milimetres (1.6 inches) of rain fell in one hour in south London on Friday, but the record for one hour was 92 milimetres (3.6 inches) in July 1901 in Maidenhead, in Berskshire.

earlier related report
London (AFP) July 21 - Extreme weather hit Europe Saturday as the death toll from a heat wave in Romania, Austria and Bulgaria rose to 18 and hundreds faced another night of misery in flood-drenched England.

A total of 11 people have now died in Romania amid a heat wave which led to five deaths in Austria and two in Bulgaria.

In England, meanwhile, the problem was not heat but rain, causing the second serious outbreak of flooding within a month.

People in many parts of the country were being advised not to travel, while Prime Minister Gordon Brown stepped in to praise the "superb" work of the armed forces and emergency services tasked with handling the response.

Rail company First Great Western told would-be passengers to stay at home, while thousands of motorists were stranded for hours as motorways in some parts of the country came to a standstill.

Weather forecasters the Met Office had severe weather warnings in place across a thick band of south-eastern and eastern England.

And in Worcestershire, in the badly hit west central of the country, more than 1,000 people were spending Saturday night in temporary accomodation. Some 2,000 in the region slept away from home Friday night.

Military helicopters have rescued more than 100 people from house rooftops, caravan parks and a bridge as well as strips of land cut off by water since rains hit on Friday, rescue officials said.

At Stratford-upon-Avon in central England, the Royal Shakespeare Company was forced to cancel two performances after its riverside theatre was flooded.

A spokesman for forecaster MeteoGroup said that more storms were looming later Saturday and Sunday, although on a less severe scale.

Some 141 domestic and international flights leaving from and arriving to London's Heathrow Airport were cancelled because of the rains on Friday, and passengers were being re-issued tickets on Saturday, an airport spokesman said.

The spokesman said flights were running normally on Saturday.

Stewart Wortley, a meteorologist at the Met Office, refuted suggestions in front-page newspaper headlines that the storms hitting Britain resembled monsoons in India.

"Whilst they are unusual to be widespread like this, they're not totally unusual. They have happened before," Wortley told AFP.

He said 142.6 millimetres (5.6 inches) of rain fell in Pershore, Worcestershire on Friday, far short of the 279 milimetres (10.9 inches) that fell in Martinstown, Dorset on July 18, 1955 -- the daily record in England.

In another comparison, he said, some 43 milimetres (1.6 inches) of rain fell in one hour in south London on Friday, but the record for one hour was 92 milimetres (3.6 inches) in July 1901 in Maidenhead, in Berskshire.

The latest bad weather came after four people died in floods in June, and thousands of people are still homeless after flood damage in central and northern England.

In southeast Europe, several countries were wilting under baking temperatures.

In Romania, the number of people who died as a result of a week-long heat wave rose to 11, while in Austria, five deaths have been blamed on heat.

In Hungary, the temperature hit an all-time record of 41.9 degrees Celsius (107 Fahrenheit) at Kiskunhalas, 130 kilometres (81 miles) south of the capital Budapest, the national weather service (OMSZ) said.

Bulglaria has endured a five-day heat wave that has sparked forest fires and left two people dead.

Source: Agence France-Presse
*yar har fiddley dee
plunder the market 'cause a pirate is free*
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 269122
United States
07/23/2007 02:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Gaia Man......right again!
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
07/23/2007 02:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oo! We've got a BBC 'Flood special' on TV now - overtaking normal programming!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 160826
United States
07/23/2007 02:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Dont worry UK!!
Harry potter and his minions will save you!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 263722
United States
07/23/2007 02:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Karma... we must all pay our Karma back before 2012 and this is to balance... This is Divine Universal Law., Country, States, City, County and Personal level.

GLP