The United States Finds Few Non-Iraqis Among Insurgents

osama bin missin
User ID: 42090
United States
07/27/2007 05:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
All the stuff Bush says about Iranians and Saudis and Syrians and whoever the fuck else is supposed to be taking over Iraq is pretty much all bullshit.

By Anna Mulrine

Posted 7/24/07
US News and World Report

As President Bush continues to stress al Qaeda as the chief threat to Iraq's stability—a reprised effort to establish a link between al Qaeda in Iraq and the 9/11 attackers—U.S. military forces on the ground in Iraq are fighting a complex war in regions with vast networks of overlapping loyalties—and few foreign fighters. Most members of al Qaeda in Iraq, say commanders on the ground, are local Iraqi outcasts.

"I can count them [foreign fighters] as a total I have engaged, dead or alive, in the 10 months I've been here on one hand," says Col. David Sutherland, the U.S. commander of coalition forces in the hotly contested area of Diyala province, an insurgent stronghold region some 35 miles northeast of Baghdad. There, Sutherland says, those involved in al Qaeda are largely dispossessed locals, not jihadists who have come from elsewhere. "The recruiting program is [that] al Qaeda may send five or eight individuals into a village. They recruit from those who have no power base, no place in society," including, he adds, former male prostitutes and the mentally ill.

more: [link to www.usnews.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 267923
Belgium
07/27/2007 06:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: The United States Finds Few Non-Iraqis Among Insurgents
If the Iraqis had the power to do the same as the americans, they would also find NOn-Iraqis in Iraq, especially many many americans, who are extremely armed and dangerous.

GLP