Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,439 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 133,842
Pageviews Today: 230,804Threads Today: 91Posts Today: 1,626
02:20 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

10,000 teachers given pink slips in California!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 393208
United States
03/17/2008 07:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
10,000 teachers given pink slips in California!
Just heard on KFBK 1530 AM radio today at around 3pm in Sacramento, CA, that 10,000 teachers were given their "pink slips" in the mail! Budget cuts have forced the Governator to begin making cuts in staffing for schools. Because of housing slump the revenues expected didn't materialize. CA state government is bankrupt! Some cities in CA are bankrupt as well! Just getting better and better isn't it?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 356061
United States
03/17/2008 07:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: 10,000 teachers given pink slips in California!
READERS' PLATFORM
Who needs teachers? Who needs credentials?
Andrew S. Ross

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Last week was not a good one for the state's public school teachers. Not only are up to 10,000 of them facing pink slips, thanks to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget proposals, but their entire raison d'etre has been called into question during the raging debate over homeschooling. The recent state appeals court ruling that would impose stricter credentialing requirements on homeschooling was denounced by Schwarzenegger, not to mention newspaper editorials and opinion pieces.

Given its parlous condition, "who needs public education anyway?" was a common sentiment expressed by Chronicle readers on SFGate. Many seemed to believe that qualifications to teach were about as tough to obtain as the ability to flip burgers. As one Bay Area teacher remarked on SFGate, everything she has gone through seems to have produced, at the end of the day, just one thing: "People on message boards insult all of your efforts."

Below, edited for space, are three differing views, drawn from the more than 2,000 homeschool comments on SFGate.

- Andrew S. Ross, Chronicle Interactive Editor

[link to www.sfgate.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 390231
United States
03/17/2008 07:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Doesn't seem like such a great idea, since CA is no longer allowing home-schooling, either.

Like, duh..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 358291
United States
03/17/2008 07:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Too many teachers are overpaid babysitters or pitifully
inept at their craft; their firing will harm no one.
RHSC
User ID: 381076
United States
03/17/2008 08:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just heard on KFBK 1530 AM radio today at around 3pm in Sacramento, CA, that 10,000 teachers were given their "pink slips" in the mail! Budget cuts have forced the Governator to begin making cuts in staffing for schools. Because of housing slump the revenues expected didn't materialize. CA state government is bankrupt! Some cities in CA are bankrupt as well! Just getting better and better isn't it?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 393208

Somebody needs to pull up CA's 2006-07 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) as soon as it is released.

Here's the 2006, which is the most recent that's been published (to date), and they weren't broke:
[link to www.sco.ca.gov]
(pdf)
"...California continued to benefit from strong tax revenue and moderate economic growth in the 2005-06 fiscal year. The State's fiscal year closed with $96.2 billion from its major tax revenues and a General Fund balance of $2.7 billion, significantly up from $185 million balance at the end of the 2004-05 fiscal year. ..."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 341677
United States
03/17/2008 08:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just heard on KFBK 1530 AM radio today at around 3pm in Sacramento, CA, that 10,000 teachers were given their "pink slips" in the mail!

Wrong! They were warned that they COULD lose their jobs if the State Budget goes thru as it exists now. That seems unlikely, the Governor is working hard find other ways to cut the budget to match the lower income the State expects due to the housing failure.

Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 393208
United States
03/18/2008 11:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wrong! They interviewed a teacher who had just gotten her pink slip in the mail! They were going to a demonstration to protest the layoffs!
anonanon

User ID: 272356
United States
03/19/2008 12:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
They wouldn't need that many extra teachers if they sent all the illegals and their kids and anchor kids back to their country of origin.

Minus them in the school district and it might be able to cover the education for the rest.
mathetes

User ID: 327572
United States
03/19/2008 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Doesn't seem like such a great idea, since CA is no longer allowing home-schooling, either.

Like, duh..
 Quoting: OneConsciousness

You hit the key! Schools recieve money for every day attendance, they knew this was coming and saw the pool of home schoolers they were missing out on!
For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 395294
United States
03/19/2008 12:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
yup it's the beginning of the end...

scream
scum tax leach from the troft
User ID: 392784
United States
03/19/2008 12:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
But how are we going to teach children masturbation and multi culturalism.
POed teacher
User ID: 392584
United States
03/19/2008 01:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 358291

Ah yes, the overpaid babysitter comment.

How much do babysitters get these days? (I ask because it's been some time since I needed babysitters.)

Would $3 an hour be a bargain? It's less than minimum wage, but then, some babysitters are teenagers, still in school and will work for less than minimum wage. (I believe illegal aliens will as well.)

What is the average class size in your area? In my state, the maximum number of students in grade K is 20 students, or 22 if a half-time aide is provided. The maximum in secondary school is 30.

So let's assume an average of 20 pupils per class. (Yeah, I know, probably low, but that's okay.)

Would 7 1/2 hours be an average school day? Of course, that doesn't include time outside of the school day that may be used for planning lessons or grading papers, but that's okay too, so let's call it 7 1/2 hours.

Now multiply 7 1/2 by $3 an hour. Did you get $22.50? (It's okay to use the calculator, if you want to.)

Multiply $22.50 by 20 (the number of students in the class)to get $450 for 1 day. Hummm.

How many days are in your school term? In my state the number of required student contact days for one school year is 178. Teachers only get paid for the days they work, so now let's multiply $450 by 178. (We won't count professional development days, since they wouldn't be babysitting on those days, but that number also depends on your state, in my state, it's 10 days)

$80,100? Damn! I don't make that much after 20 years (with a masters degree)!

Let me know where those overpaid babysitters work. It might be time for a career change.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 392988
United States
03/19/2008 01:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've had bad experiences with teachers in school. It must be a lot worse now!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 376759
United States
03/19/2008 01:58 AM
Report Abusive Post

How much do babysitters get these days? (I ask because it's been some time since I needed babysitters.)

Would $3 an hour be a bargain? It's less than minimum wage, but then, some babysitters are teenagers, still in school and will work for less than minimum wage. (I believe illegal aliens will as well.)

What is the average class size in your area? In my state, the maximum number of students in grade K is 20 students, or 22 if a half-time aide is provided. The maximum in secondary school is 30.

So let's assume an average of 20 pupils per class. (Yeah, I know, probably low, but that's okay.)

Would 7 1/2 hours be an average school day? Of course, that doesn't include time outside of the school day that may be used for planning lessons or grading papers, but that's okay too, so let's call it 7 1/2 hours.

Now multiply 7 1/2 by $3 an hour. Did you get $22.50? (It's okay to use the calculator, if you want to.)

Multiply $22.50 by 20 (the number of students in the class)to get $450 for 1 day. Hummm.

How many days are in your school term? In my state the number of required student contact days for one school year is 178. Teachers only get paid for the days they work, so now let's multiply $450 by 178. (We won't count professional development days, since they wouldn't be babysitting on those days, but that number also depends on your state, in my state, it's 10 days)

Let me know where those overpaid babysitters work. It might be time for a career change.
 Quoting: POed teacher 392584

The problem here is obvious.

-------->YOU are out of your fucking mind.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 353013
United States
03/19/2008 02:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
The State of California is not bankrupt.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 289032
United States
03/19/2008 02:10 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: POed teacher 392584

:yay: :clap: and applause

adjust mine for 33 students times 5 class hours and 181 contact hours and a 20 min lunch break

and add in over 40k in student loans.

I really am in the wrong profession
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/21/2008 11:45 PM
Report Abusive Post

:yay: :clap: and applause

adjust mine for 33 students times 5 class hours and 181 contact hours and a 20 min lunch break

and add in over 40k in student loans.

I really am in the wrong profession
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 289032

Yes, you probably are, at least if you're just considering the financial aspect. (I did not encourage my children to go into teaching, btw). Many professions that don't require any more education than teaching have entry level salaries near what many teacher make that are close to retirement!! Still, there's more to life than money. I've noticed, however, that teaching doesn't seem to be as much "fun" as it used to be. Good teaching is both an art and a science, but the emphasis has swung way over toward the "science" part while not giving teachers the opportunity to use the "art."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 206814
United States
03/22/2008 01:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Say what you will but it was teachers who taught me and a gazillion other students how to read, write and do some math.

However, it has become very obvious that teachers' hands are tied these days from not only state governments but incredibly dumbed-down parents as well. Not to mention the fact that students have more 'rights' than their teachers.

Although teaching is a thankless job (they're not going to get rich that's for sure),

I just want to say to all teachers....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

hf hf hf hf hf
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/22/2008 01:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Say what you will but it was teachers who taught me and a gazillion other students how to read, write and do some math.

However, it has become very obvious that teachers' hands are tied these days from not only state governments but incredibly dumbed-down parents as well. Not to mention the fact that students have more 'rights' than their teachers.

Although teaching is a thankless job (they're not going to get rich that's for sure),

I just want to say to all teachers....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

hf hf hf hf hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 206814

And thank you, 206814. If possible, contact one of your former teachers and thank him/her. Frankly, hearing that from a former student is worth a lot more than money!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24289757
United States
11/29/2012 02:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25788477
United States
11/29/2012 03:20 PM
Report Abusive Post

Like, duh..
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 390231

Since when? Not true.

GLP