I work at CERN

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 410837
Germany
04/08/2008 04:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: I work at CERN
I do not know the specifics as I am not analyzing the data. My job is to maintain the crygenic superconductors. but some of the scientists have walked around like they have seen a ghost.
I think they are really worried. I speculate that they have found a way to peer into different dimensions.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 410574

What is "crygenic"?
lamâshtu

User ID: 225414
Switzerland
04/08/2008 04:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
what do you use to cool the magnets down?
lamâshtu

Switzerland
04/08/2008 04:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
What is "crygenic"?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 410837

a typo?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 320230
United States
04/08/2008 04:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
are you jose?
JK1
User ID: 365558
Czechia
04/08/2008 04:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
2 questions.

How come you are not answering questions?

How much do they pay you to sweep the floor at CERN?
 Quoting: Eric Carr 406850

Excellent questions !
JK1
Quantum Minded

User ID: 355758
South Korea
04/08/2008 05:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
ask me a question.

Do you prefer Pinesol or Spic-n-Span when mopping floors?

Don't judge and discredit him "prematurely".

An atom smasher is not something exclusively for "rare people." Rather, it is basically a thing that can be built even by a poor little boy! Michio Kaku tells a story in his "Hyperspace" that he built his own atom smasher from garbage when he was a high school student from a poor family.
GRaPHoN
User ID: 397790
United States
04/08/2008 05:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
ask me a question.
 Quoting: physicist 410574

So now that we can detect gravity waves with LIGO(short for Laser Interferometry Gravity-Wave Observatory) and produce them with CERN's micro black holes... won't we essentially have the capability of communicating across the galaxy instantaniously? ...since gravity waves have no propagation rate.

People talk about the Grid Network here coming online but won't we also be capable of plugging into the galactic grid?

Every wonder why SETI practically never detects any signals?
I think we will soon know why.
Quantum Minded

South Korea
04/08/2008 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you've seen the film, 'The Dam Busters', you will know that an explosion underground, or under the water against the dam walls, has a much greater destructive capacity than an explosion in air in which the blast dissipates into the air..
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 369375

This is not always true. A dam primarily made of earth is hard to destroy by using classic explosives because earth has elasticity that makes the dam returned to original form after explosion passes. Also, earth and water itself absorb the shock to some extent. I think the best spot to destroy a dam is rather a gate when the dam is holding water.

Anyway, the great enemy, if not greatest, to a dam is “overtopping water”. Most structural failure is related to water in one way or the other. A Dam is not an exception. So, a big flood is more dangerous than a big bomb as is the natural force more powerful than any man-made.

An explosion underground between Switzerland and France could really crack the European continent and cause that land to sink, as has been foretold by Edgar Cayce and Gordon Michael Scallion. Bye bye Europe and all or most of the people who live there, because Europe is predicted to become islands.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 369375

If any consequences from CERN’s experiment follows the conservation of energy that most, if not all, physics laws are fundamentally based upon, then this kind of disaster will not likely occur. However, my concern is if they really find a micro black hole or the like and a genius way to stabilize it, then it can become a potential weapon, a cleanest “atomic bomb” that can penetrate anything.

In this regard, I have a question to OP. How is the security level of CERN? Is it a university- or research-level security with locks and ID cards, etc., or a military-level security with armed guards, etc.? This may hint us what they are really up to.
Professor Pooch
User ID: 406347
United States
04/08/2008 11:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think there was a Dan Brown book about a priest assigned to CERN who had a bunch of ANTIMATTER in a magnetic bottle.

Could CERN be trying to make antimatter?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 289264
United States
04/08/2008 11:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
I don't think OP is coming back. Hoax?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 206814
United States
04/08/2008 11:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
I don't think OP is coming back. Hoax?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 289264

Probably a hoax. Some guy assigned to post on GLP to see what kind of reaction he'll get.

Too bad. I was waiting for the part when we all disappear into another dimension. Damn him.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 410997
United States
04/08/2008 11:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
I do not know the specifics as I am not analyzing the data. My job is to maintain the crygenic superconductors. but some of the scientists have walked around like they have seen a ghost.
I think they are really worried. I speculate that they have found a way to peer into different dimensions.

What is "crygenic"?

Possibly meant Cryogenic?

The branches of physics and engineering that involve the study of very low temperatures, how to produce them, and how materials behave at those temperatures.
Anonymous Coward
South Korea
04/08/2008 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
I suspect all this CERN related rumours and hoaxes may have been made by some countries excluded from the experiment hoping to get some information about the research.

If some naive folks protest against the experiment, CERN has to release some information in one way or the other to soothe them.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 410874
Romania
04/08/2008 12:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to youtube.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3928
United States
04/08/2008 12:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
less filling or tastes great???
Billy Joel

User ID: 401681
United States
04/08/2008 02:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP?
Sireen-reborn

User ID: 335827
United States
04/08/2008 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think there was a Dan Brown book about a priest assigned to CERN who had a bunch of ANTIMATTER in a magnetic bottle.

Quoting: Professor Pooch 406347

Demons and Angels. Or is it Angels and Demons. Anyhoo, that's the title of the book you're referring. Excellent read too!
anything after 'but' is bullshit!

[link to www.myspace.com]

"Once you open your mind to the possibility of conspiracy, you then see conspiracy in everything." [link to deadbydecember-sireen.blogspot.com]
canislatrans

User ID: 339544
United States
04/08/2008 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP?
 Quoting: Billy Joel

Probably a one time event.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
lamâshtu

Switzerland
04/10/2008 10:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Professor Pooch 406347

antimatter is an old hat. antihydrogen was created in '95 already.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 397034
Netherlands
04/10/2008 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: lamâshtu
where was it done - say the name of a town ,etc...
lamâshtu

Switzerland
04/10/2008 10:15 AM
Report Abusive Post

where was it done - say the name of a town ,etc...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 397034

CERN.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]
lamâshtu

Switzerland
04/11/2008 02:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump for OP
some bloke in england
User ID: 413093
United Kingdom
04/11/2008 03:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Is it TRUE that the new 'collider' at CERN is spawning a new worldwide super-wide.. super-fast broadband 'world-wide-web' system? I caught the end of sommat on the end of 'The Gadget Show' on UK-TVs Channel 5 about it. It's already set-up, so that physicists in British Universities can 'see' what's going on as the 'sub-atomic particles' smash into each other over this super-fast.. super-broadband.. system. How long before us mere mortals can hook up to it?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 392006
United States
04/11/2008 03:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Cern will cause a harmonic that will awaken in a Major way the Madrid fault line. I am not the first to say it, the voice of the many, the vision of many is close at hand.
lamâshtu

Switzerland
04/11/2008 03:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Is it TRUE that the new 'collider' at CERN is spawning a new worldwide super-wide.. super-fast broadband 'world-wide-web' system? I caught the end of sommat on the end of 'The Gadget Show' on UK-TVs Channel 5 about it. It's already set-up, so that physicists in British Universities can 'see' what's going on as the 'sub-atomic particles' smash into each other over this super-fast.. super-broadband.. system. How long before us mere mortals can hook up to it?
 Quoting: some bloke in england 413093

kind of. but it's more about decentralized processing and storage than actual line speed. it will of course have to work over existing infrastructure, so it isn't about building a new worldwide super fast broadband network really.

[link to lcg.web.cern.ch]
physicist (OP)
User ID: 410574
United States
04/11/2008 03:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
I am back. i cannot post while on grounds computers. The rumor is that CERN has already fired up a test. So far so good. Except for a simply anomoly, with the tracks of a few particles. some of them are ging slower that predicted, and in the opposite direction than calculated by mathematics. this has been repeated three times. My boss thinks that this is a manual or calculation error. I do not know what this means. I am not as skilled as the top level scientists here. But som of these guys look very worried.
SCREAMMMM
User ID: 189499
United States
04/11/2008 03:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
I DON'T HAVE ANY PROOF

JUST A FEELING WE ARE ON THE EDGE OF A CLIFF NOW

SHOULD GET EXCITING SOON

BUT MOST OF US KNEW THAT........

THAT IS WHY WE GATER AT SITES LIKE THIS ONE

RIGHT???

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 207913
United States
04/11/2008 04:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
see answers D, S, and K , here

Thread: CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) the REAL PURPOSE (Page 2)
Billy Joel

User ID: 401681
United States
04/11/2008 04:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
I am back. i cannot post while on grounds computers. The rumor is that CERN has already fired up a test. So far so good. Except for a simply anomoly, with the tracks of a few particles. some of them are ging slower that predicted, and in the opposite direction than calculated by mathematics. this has been repeated three times. My boss thinks that this is a manual or calculation error. I do not know what this means. I am not as skilled as the top level scientists here. But som of these guys look very worried.
 Quoting: physicist 410574

It's been fired up already? Why has no one been told? What happened to the summer start date?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 290624
United States
04/11/2008 04:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well CERN has no reason to be truthful about its actual start dates, I have no problem believing they've already tested it several times. However a few particles moving in the wrong direction can't be all bad. Anyone have any ideas as to what that might imply?

GLP