06/23/2008 11:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Bible citation costs couple jobs, home
[link to www.worldnetdaily.com]

Bible citation costs couple jobs, home

Apartment managers evicted, fired for being 'too religious'

June 20, 2008

For eight years Daniel and Sharon Dixon, apartment managers in Lake City, Fla., displayed in the apartment complex's management office a stained glass depiction of flowers with the words "Consider the lilies … Matthew 6:28" written in the lower left corner – an act for which they were suddenly fired from their management jobs and evicted from their apartment.

Mathew D. Staver, founder of Liberty Counsel, [link to www.lc.org] a non-profit organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom that is representing the Dixons, told WND that neither before nor after the incident were the Dixons charged with any wrongdoing other than protesting the removal of the artwork and loss of their jobs.

"They were suddenly terminated as a result of the religious bigotry of one supervisor," Staver said in a press release. "The Dixons lost their jobs and were booted out on the street, solely because artwork in their office made reference to the Bible."

The Dixons managed and provided maintenance for the Thornwood Terrace Apartments, a government-subsidized complex owned and operated by the Hallmark Companies and Hallmark Management. The couple was permitted to live in the complex as part of their compensation.

Last September a regional manager for Hallmark, Christina Saunders, visited the complex in anticipation of a government inspection and saw the glass artwork. According to a Liberty Counsel release, Saunders asked Sharon if the words on the artwork referenced the Bible. After Sharon confirmed they did, Saunders instructed her to take it down.

Sharon replied that she needed to consult her husband and co-manager, Daniel, and left the office to find him.

When the couple returned, Saunders had already removed the artwork, entered the Dixons' apartment without their permission and deposited the artwork there. According to the press release, she then said Sharon and Daniel were "too religious," fired them and demanded they vacate their apartment within 72 hours.

"Hallmark could have separated the Dixons' residence from their job, even with the termination," Staver told WND. "They could have stayed in their apartment, but (Hallmark) both fired and evicted them."

WND attempted to reach Hallmark Management for comment, but phone calls were not returned.

The Dixon's story moved to court today, as Liberty Counsel filed a suit in the Jacksonville federal court on the couple's behalf, claiming the Dixons were discriminated against on the basis of their religious beliefs.

According to the lawsuit, the only reasons given for the Dixons' termination were that the couple was "too religious" and that Sharon was insubordinate for not immediately removing the artwork before consulting with her husband.

The Agency for Workforce Innovation, however, which ruled in the Dixons' favor in their request for unemployment compensation, agreed that the termination was not based on job performance, finding that though the Dixons were charged with insubordination, "no information has been submitted which substantiates misconduct" and "the discharge was for reasons other than misconduct connected with the work."

The Dixons originally left their apartment in compliance with the eviction and currently reside in Jacksonville, Fla.

photo:
[link to www.worldnetdaily.com]
The artwork that got the Dixons fired
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 456846
United States
06/23/2008 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Bible citation costs couple jobs, home
They're better off not working for such a vile disgusting pitiful person/company.

I hope they sue the SHITE out of them and win every penny they ask for. That is total B.S.!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 361147
Netherlands
06/23/2008 12:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
So you cry foul whenever an atheist or Muslim can't fully express themselves in the religious term (eg. having a "god is dead" citation from Nietzsche on a window)?
fugggg-it
User ID: 257467
United States
06/23/2008 12:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
If the couple gets a ahlfway decent lawyer, they just won the lottery literally.

They violated no less than 4 federla housing statues based on that article.

The manager entering their apartment sealed the deal, cause there was no emergency.

fugggg-it
mercury2

User ID: 306220
France
06/23/2008 12:28 PM

Report Abusive Post
So you cry foul whenever an atheist or Muslim can't fully express themselves in the religious term (eg. having a "god is dead" citation from Nietzsche on a window)?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 361147

You know, this might seem different if it had been a picture of Jesus with a halo saying "I am the Way" or something like that, but it wasn't. It was probably stained glass artwork of some nice lily flowers with the fragment of the verse in question. The verse does NOT say "You're going to hell if you don't BELIEVE" or anything like that. Or, as in your example, your a fool if you do believe.

And, the bitch manager DIDN'T EVEN GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO TAKE IT DOWN. She fired them without any discussion or warning, plus firing them involved turning them out of their home.

This sounds like serious lawsuit material, just because of the way it was done, with no recourse or chance to make it right after a series of complaints, that sort of thing.

Here's an poser: The assumption is that people were offended by the artwork. Were they? I mean besides the bitch boss.

WAS ANYONE WHO DID BUSINESS AT THE OFFICE ACTUALLY OFFENDED BY THE STAINED GLASS PIECE? WERE THERE COMPLAINTS? WOULD THE COMPLAINTS THEMSELVES HAVE HELD UP IN COURT, IF THERE HAD BEEN ANY COMPLAINTS?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 284011
United States
06/23/2008 12:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Several things come to mind here...

1). You have to wonder if this was the ONLY reason they got fired. Of course the article says that but I don't see it quoting the manager as saying that everything was fine except for the stained glass piece.

2). Why do people fail to remember that they are getting paid to work for someone? That piece could have just stayed in their apartment but they had to have it in their office to make a point. If my manager told me to take something down, I would take it down. If I didn't want to take it down, I would put my notice in. I wouldn't assume that I can tell my manager no and keep my job.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 361147
Netherlands
06/23/2008 12:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

You know, this might seem different if it had been a picture of Jesus with a halo saying "I am the Way" or something like that, but it wasn't. It was probably stained glass artwork of some nice lily flowers with the fragment of the verse in question. The verse does NOT say "You're going to hell if you don't BELIEVE" or anything like that. Or, as in your example, your a fool if you do believe.

And, the bitch manager DIDN'T EVEN GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO TAKE IT DOWN. She fired them without any discussion or warning, plus firing them involved turning them out of their home.

This sounds like serious lawsuit material, just because of the way it was done, with no recourse or chance to make it right after a series of complaints, that sort of thing.

Here's an poser: The assumption is that people were offended by the artwork. Were they? I mean besides the bitch boss.

WAS ANYONE WHO DID BUSINESS AT THE OFFICE ACTUALLY OFFENDED BY THE STAINED GLASS PIECE? WERE THERE COMPLAINTS? WOULD THE COMPLAINTS THEMSELVES HAVE HELD UP IN COURT, IF THERE HAD BEEN ANY COMPLAINTS?
 Quoting: mercury2

You avoided my question.

Would you demand a citation being taken off or think negatively about a colleague having a citation from a great philosopher like Nietzsche saying "god is dead"?

But anyways the US really has the most retarded job protection policies in the western world (none to be precise). Then you get these sort of extremes, but I'm certain I can name loads of examples of atheists (or other non-christians) being treated exactly the same by bigot "Christians". So this is just another example of a Pot calling a kettle black

[link to digg.com]
[link to onegoodmove.org]
[link to arizonaatheist.blogspot.com]
[link to atheism.about.com]
[link to atheism.about.com]
[link to abcnews.go.com]
EnlightenedMasterbate​r
User ID: 385751
Canada
06/23/2008 01:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Christians are getting what they deserve! You cannot Kill or Convert anymore, People have rights so kiss my but men of "God". Cry too your master
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 448774
United States
06/23/2008 01:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Christians are getting what they deserve! You cannot Kill or Convert anymore, People have rights so kiss my but men of "God". Cry too your master
 Quoting: EnlightenedMasterbater 385751

islam doesnt seem to think it's over yet

GLP