What the FUCk is this HUMMing SOund

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1348515
United States
04/19/2011 06:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: What the FUCk is this HUMMing SOund
Dallas. Right now. The hum can be heard between the rumble of the thunder. i/r.
: )
User ID: 1353529
Canada
04/23/2011 03:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Dallas. Right now. The hum can be heard between the rumble of the thunder. i/r.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1348515

I just wanted to say I was hearing the noise a little bit earlier in Windsor ON. To me its kind of like the sound of bass in a stero kind of a vibration. Anywho I was timing it and it was happening at approx 25 after 1, 2 and 3am. Also about 12:45, 1:45 and 2:45am. I can only account for the last 2 fridays that I have been able to write down the times I've heard it but it seems to be about the same time every time.
unbeliever
User ID: 1305124
Australia
04/23/2011 05:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
im in melbourne victoria and it is happening here as well. generally right ear, infrequent, sometimes its there and sometimes its not.pitch has elevated to a higher frequency in the last few weeks.it is ringing as i write this and has been most of the day. no hearing problems, nasal blockages or history of high blood pressure. Mobile phone towers nearby.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1355998
United States
04/28/2011 02:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is really driving me crazy. I used to hear it only in the mornings on weekends.

Now it is constant. All the time. Inside and outside.

What the FUCK is it? This is ridiculous.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1360254
United States
04/28/2011 02:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
I shut the mail off in my house and still there is a humming.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1180318
Germany
04/28/2011 02:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
It's a widespread phenomenon. Some link it to submarine communication (which needs very low frequencies to penetrate ground and water), others to military research, mobile communication (cell phones), etc. In Germany there used to be an organisation trying to help people describing what you all experience, however they came to no conclusion and stopped working.

I used to hear a low humming at night too, sounded like a diesel engien truck far far away, when I was still living at a bigger city at the baltic sea coast. I moved to a town 10km away, ever since then the humming is gone. So the immediate fix is to try to go somewhere else, crash at a friends place, etc. to find a place that does not hum for you. Then move on from there.
I hear the hum too !!!
User ID: 1364409
United States
05/01/2011 12:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
I cannot say how relieved I am to find this thread. I hear a low-gentle-generator sound day and night. Its easier to hear at night, but can find it at any time. It worries my husband (b/c he canno hear it), but to see so many more of you also 'hear' it makes me relieved. I find if I bend my head forward and extend my neck bending my chin toward my chest, it lessens it greatly; probably changes the liquid balance in my inner ear??

This was reported in the New Zealand Herald back in 2006.

As far as I know there never was concrete answer provided to answer peoples questions as to what is makeing this noise.

Mysterious humming driving Aucklanders 'bonkers'
12:00AM Friday October 27, 2006
By Kate Chapman

A mysterious humming driving people to despair across Auckland has pricked the ears, and curiosity, of scientists trying to find the source.

Massey University computer engineering scientists Tom Moir and Fakhrul Alam have been contacted by more than 30 people, most in Auckland and the North Shore, who claim to have heard a humming noise.

The symptoms are similar to those suffered by people with tinnitus, commonly associated with a prolonged high-frequency ringing in the ear.

The scientists are visiting people who can hear the humming, and trying to measure the noise in the hope they will be able to identify its source.

People from central Auckland to Kaiwaka in Northland have reported the sound, as have residents from the North Shore suburbs of Torbay, Browns Bay, Murrays Bay, Birkenhead and Beach Haven, and Stanmore Bay on Whangaparaoa.

The scientists are measuring the frequency by playing a second low frequency to someone who can hear the humming. When the person can no longer hear the hum, the frequency they are playing is the same as the humming noise.

Dr Moir said people could definitely hear a sound. "It's quite serious to them, it's driving them bonkers. I was there at the same time and I couldn't hear anything."

He said the sound was well within the average hearing range for people.

Most people can hear between 20 hertz and 20 kilohertz and the humming is around 56 hertz, according to Dr Moir's research.

Not everyone could hear the sound, because of its low volume, he said.

"We're all born differently - some people are better runners, some people are better hearers."

continued....

[link to www.nzherald.co.nz]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 475285

I read this article along with many others about humming sounds around the world. I searched the internet and gleened lots of info for days before I posted here.

What seems different with my humming is that it isn not a constant hum. I starts and stops..lasting up to about 4 seconds.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 433091
Gannon

User ID: 1372575
United States
05/14/2011 03:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
At least you're crimping your eustacian tubes...which is similar to MY solution of silicone earplugs only from the inside-out! Anything to change the pressure on either side of the eardrums.

I went over a week without earplugs and my sinus drainage got way worse. Time to buy new ones. I cannot sleep through the night without them any longer.

Cheers
Gadfly and Rogue Philosopher
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1383405
Germany
05/14/2011 03:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
omg. this is incredible! I have had exactly this same sensation over the last 6 months or so. It started back then as a very low humming sound with a relativley low frequency. This increased since about march. Remarkably on March 11th it was so loud that I could sleep! I even had to listen to some music to ignore it. Then the next morning we had the big earthquake! I was quite amazed to say the least.

Since then it is much quieter and only at some nights do I still hear it louder. I really thought that I was the only one with this.
Bogusdude

User ID: 1382826
United Kingdom
05/14/2011 04:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

YoUr FUcKinG Pc

TuRN iT oFF

byekitty
"There is a mill which grinds by itself, swings of itself,
and scatters the dust a hundred versts away. And there is
a golden pole with a golden cage on top which is also the
Nail of the North. And there is a very wise tomcat which
climbs up and down this pole. When he climbs down, he
sings songs, and when he climbs up, he tells tales."

Legend of the Ostyaks of the Siberian Irtysh River Vally.
dj6927
User ID: 1384938
Canada
05/15/2011 05:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm glad there are others out there that hear this sound.
I thought I was going mad. It started more than a month ago for me. I was almost ready to go and scream at the new neighbor we have because I wondered if it was him with some kind of generator in his basement. We live about a block away from the railway, and that's exactly what it sounds like. That big Deisel Electric hum. A friend and I went out to the mountains more than 100 miles away the other weekend. As soon as I got out of the truck, there was that exact same hum. I asked my friends if they could hear it. They said no. So now I'm at the point of "where the hell is this sound coming from"? If others have heard it years ago, how come it's just starting here. I'm up in central Alberta, Canada.
Gannon

User ID: 1372575
United States
05/15/2011 08:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm a little distubed to hear that...even in the MOUNTAINS?!

Were you near the power grid, or away from it?!

I'm still going on the premise that it is induced into the grid, due the information I have from a fellow who makes one of the best Power Conditioners for the recording studio and home electronics (high end audio and video) markets.

IF it exists well outside the grid...I'll have to toss out that hypothesis. I will be camping in the desert out west soon and hope to learn a bit then.

Cheers
Gadfly and Rogue Philosopher
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1340159
United Kingdom
05/15/2011 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
For the past month or so I have been hearing a very low level humming sound. No one else hears it and I'm starting to wonder WTF is going on. I hear it mostly at night and early morning, because I'm guessing it's the quiet time of the day (night).

This humming is not constant, it sounds like an electric motor trying to cycle. I've turned off all the curcuits in the house so I know it's not from within the house. I can even hear it when I'm out in the woods or at the neighbors house.
It's really starting to bug me out!

And no it's not tinnitus.
 Quoting: bugging out 433091

Its the fan on my piece of shit Dell, you can hear it all the way over there too?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1324396
United States
05/15/2011 08:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's earth she makes a sound.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1385121
United States
05/15/2011 09:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

YoUr FUcKinG Pc

TuRN iT oFF

byekitty
 Quoting: Bogusdude

I guess you didn't read the post that went into detail about shutting down ALL the power in my entire house.....

YoU aRE BoGUs
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1348642
United States
05/15/2011 09:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
For the past month or so I have been hearing a very low level humming sound. No one else hears it and I'm starting to wonder WTF is going on. I hear it mostly at night and early morning, because I'm guessing it's the quiet time of the day (night).

This humming is not constant, it sounds like an electric motor trying to cycle. I've turned off all the curcuits in the house so I know it's not from within the house. I can even hear it when I'm out in the woods or at the neighbors house.

Question: How many of us have experienced sound "effects?"
[link to www.kundalini-gateway.org]

[link to groups.yahoo.com]
dj6927
User ID: 1391305
Canada
05/20/2011 12:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yah, the part about the mountains actually scared me. When I got out there, I thought it would be beautiful and peaceful, and it was except for that hum. I thought that OMG, this is in my head and work has finally got to me because I work near machines that are screaming every frequency you can think of. There is nothing within at least 40 miles of where we were in the mountains.
I've read everybodys letter on this thread. So many of them describe things I feel and things I've done.
One person mentioned cleaning their ears out with hydrogen peroxide. I had done that prior to hearing the hum which made me think that I had harmed my eardrums.
I looked up the Taos Hum on You Tube and that describes it exactly.
That made me think of my daughter. A little more that 2 months ago, I went into her room because she was crying. She said "do you hear that sound Dad?". After listening, I told her that what she heard was probably the bus going by. But she said, NO, don't you hear it now? I understand now.
I mentioned on You Tube how when the first time I heard it, I walked into our house from the garage and the hum was loud. I looked up at my wife and said, WHAT'S ON? She said nothing's on. So here's me running around thinking one of the kids is in the shower or a fan is on.
When I couldn't find anything, I put my ear to the wall. As soon as I did that, the hum was gone. I figured that there must be something out back. As soon as I went out the door, the hum was gone again. What the hell?
So know I'm starting to over-analyze everything. I've always been able to hear the compressor on the fridge, the pump for the underfloor heating, the transformer on the furnace air duct, the toilet leaking, the computer, etc. But these are all things I can find.
It kind of ticks my wife off. She asks, "you can hear all that, but you can't hear me yelling if I need you to bring me a roll of toilet paper?" I think that's "selective hearing".
This hum seems to be "inside my head" like others have said.
Hopefully it does have to do with my daughter and me being sick (sinuses). Otherwise, I'm going to go mad wondering if this is a frequency being broadcast somehow, or if there are machines drilling or what can it be?
It's very low now, but it's always there. I wonder if I'm just getting used to it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1397602
Canada
05/23/2011 09:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
OK, so I'm hearing it too....and I don't believe in any explanation but scientific fact....There HAS to be a logical explanation here, especially assuming everyone here is hearing the same sound.

For me too, in my home, it is pretty much constant. I am not yet prepared, however, to accept that it is caused by "resonance from beneath the earth" or any "taos hum" theory. No, I still maintain it's got to be something to do with airflow from somewhere or maybe an electrical issue.

I've had the plumbing checked. Done the electricity and plumbing tests by turning everything off etc..I've gone into the attic to see if I can hear it from the vents but it's no louder there than anywhere else. I can hear it faintly in my detached garage. One night, I went next door and could hear the same sound in my neighbour's house. (The wife there could hear it too but the husband couldn't). A couple of times, I've been able to pick it up while standing in the middle of the street. Mostly, though, you can only hear it inside.

It doesn't have a rhythm. It's not a buzz. You can't even locate it by listening to the walls. It's more like a wheezing hum, kind of "up, down, down up, up, down...."etc as others have said, like a car idling in the distance. There is more than one note to it which could indicate more than one location or source. As I understand it, any noise can travel through studs and plumbing in a house. It's got to be something to do with that, I think. Called the electricity provider. They were no help at all - even though I have one of those green transformer boxes on my front lawn. The man I spoke with said that if I can't hear it when I listen to the box, it ain't coming from the box, period. There are definitely times, when one can hardly hear it, though, which makes me wonder....wind?

My next approach is to clean out the bathroom fan vents and the dryer vent - all on the second storey of my home. I read somewhere that airflow can resonate through these. I have my doubts though and once that has been done, I'm gonna' be stumped for good!
I've heard the hum
User ID: 1400201
Canada
05/25/2011 02:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
this hum has been with me off and on for 5 years and after months and months reading I was talking to a friend hearing the same sound. Over time I realized that this hum comes during high stress times. Everytime I am stressed at work it get worse or it gets worse when my teenagers are stressing me out. When I went on holiday for a week it went away. It definately got worse when I sat at my computor for hours researching trying to find out what is was. So there is hope for everyone out there. Now when it comes I just think oh time to settle down and it goes away within a couple of days. good luck everyone
Graham
User ID: 658200
New Zealand
05/27/2011 02:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey , 2 posts up , dude from Canada ....

I may be wrong , but I think you are hearing a sweeper truck ....the noise will pulse , and outside noise will mask the sound , so unless its withen a few streets of home , you will only hear it inside .....the noise penetrates double glazing and sound insulation ...and drives you insane ....
I suggest you listen to it for as long as possible ...and wait to hear it powering down ...they will stop for smoko eventually ...

Here in CHCH New Zealand "earthquake central" , the trucks sweep at night because they are on contract , and can do it faster , forget the fact they aint allowed to lol
Ive traced a truck that I heard startup at 3am via GPS , it was over 7 km's from home as the crow flys
If the sound baffles are worn , OMG , 20 kms isnt far enough .......
Being lower frequency , and tonal it travels MILES ....
You sometimes get the whine , other times a low randomly pulsing um um um um a little like a deisel idling , but not quite as deep
The mystery continues...
User ID: 1397602
Canada
05/30/2011 10:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey , 2 posts up , dude from Canada ....

I may be wrong , but I think you are hearing a sweeper truck ....the noise will pulse , and outside noise will mask the sound , so unless its withen a few streets of home , you will only hear it inside .....the noise penetrates double glazing and sound insulation ...and drives you insane ....
I suggest you listen to it for as long as possible ...and wait to hear it powering down ...they will stop for smoko eventually ...

Here in CHCH New Zealand "earthquake central" , the trucks sweep at night because they are on contract , and can do it faster , forget the fact they aint allowed to lol
Ive traced a truck that I heard startup at 3am via GPS , it was over 7 km's from home as the crow flys
If the sound baffles are worn , OMG , 20 kms isnt far enough .......
Being lower frequency , and tonal it travels MILES ....
You sometimes get the whine , other times a low randomly pulsing um um um um a little like a deisel idling , but not quite as deep
 Quoting: Graham 658200

Thanks for your suggestion but I hear this sound pretty much any time I'm home, whether it's faint or loud. Haven't actually seen a "sweeper" up here in a long time but when we have them, they come out during our summer in July/August/Sept. and I've been hearing this since last January.

I do have a new thought and if anyone knows anything about eletrical harmonics, I'm beginning to think it may have something to so with that. Apparently, with all the new halogen light bulbs people are using as well as dimmer switches and other devices, a harmonic wave can be created in the regular current of electrical supply in residential areas. I'm no physicist but as I understand it, one of the symptoms of this is a humming noise...It is being carried through the electrical supply. If this is being caused outside my home, I might still hear it even when my own power is off. I'm considering consulting with an electrician because this thing really sounds like a mechancal/electrical noise of some kind. It's probably something really stupid or common but damned if I can figure it out and it's SO annoying!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1408238
United Kingdom
05/31/2011 05:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to homepages.tesco.net]

This is the best article I have read on this hum- I have it. It is not great news I am afraid...it is going to get worse and it is genetated from inside our own body...with the help of gravity waves.
nelson
User ID: 1411976
Australia
06/02/2011 05:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
I am glad that I am not the only one hearing this noise.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1410519
Canada
06/04/2011 07:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
Been hearing it where I live in Central Alberta I had made a search for threads like this but nothing came up this is my post
Thread: Strange low drowning sound
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/04/2011 08:05 AM
Report Abusive Post

This is the best article I have read on this hum- I have it. It is not great news I am afraid...it is going to get worse and it is genetated from inside our own body...with the help of gravity waves.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1408238

Very interesting information on that sight
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/04/2011 08:38 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1408238

Very interesting information on that sight
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1410519

The hum in this video sound just like the Hum I have been hearing but if its suppose to be something you hear in you head how is it that it was recorded as sound? something very odd that is still not fully understood is going on
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1417303
United Kingdom
06/06/2011 03:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
No to the latest post - that sounds like wind down a tunnel...another 'hum'....most on here have a much lower pitcjed diesel engine in the distance...indeed, this hum is better..it is a bit spooky and exciting...the diesel engine one..that is just boring, irritating and annoys the hell out of one. I have it all the time now at night...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1387341
United States
06/06/2011 03:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

it could be your computer, your tv, you alarm clock, a sqeaky fan at night... it can be a number of things.

you have to unplug and turn everything off around you to tell if it's abnormal in nature.
 Quoting: BriGuy

He even hears it in the woods, he said he turned off all of the circuits in the house. Geez don't you read. He even hears it in the woods. Learn to comprehend what you read. He hears it in the wood away from the house.
copsne

User ID: 1417582
United States
06/06/2011 07:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
New here, and quite a bit of activity. We (copsne)are plotting the locations of this ILFN problem and need more location data to support an effort to get this into Congress. Here's the theory, and you've all heard many- changes in the natural gas distribution systems in the US, Cdn and other countries over the last 6 years are causing this, and it's escalating way beyond the problems this caused in TAOS. TODATE of over the tens of thousands of reports of this on sites like this, of those ID'ing their locations of exposure, over 400 (with only a couple of out lyers) are within proximity of the HP lines transporting gas all around. This ground born ILFN travels long distances.

Steve from CT
Mark504

User ID: 1418440
United States
06/07/2011 10:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hello I would like to say thanks to all that has been airing there views about this ?? Well let’s call it a ongoing project. Have any of you noticed how people are around you when it’s playing hard. Or even you’re self. When it’s off? This started in or around the last part of the 80's. I believe that around 1995 it was changed over to a new way of transmitting and has been being tested since then. The problem is that two years ago they got the hardware to quit breaking down so now it’s on at some level all the time. Yesterday here it was down on the upper side of the tone. You could hardly here the low side. Yes there is to tones. If you are musical inclined plug one ear at a time. You can here the different octaves. The right ear if press hard sound as if Morse code is playing. You hear the low side with the high side bouncing off and on. Many people have come close but the puzzle pieces are there. Didn’t anyone see the report that crime was down 5% in the US a couple of weeks ago? They said that they didn’t understand why. And true it don’t make since when the economy is bad. The weather how many times was it louder when it rained or a heavy fog? How’s your intuition? have you notice your own radar being down? Or doing things you normally wouldn’t do? I farm here and have horses I know for a fact that when it’s not running I get better response from them than I do when it playing hard. My dog I’ am sure is effected by it as well. There’s a lot more that I will tell. Bear with me and pay attention to those around you and you surroundings. Mark .

GLP