Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,070 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,072,789
Pageviews Today: 1,790,591Threads Today: 723Posts Today: 12,907
05:35 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

I Got Banned, Not Sure Why, Little Help?

Chases Tumbleweeds  (OP)

User ID: 201120
United States
10/22/2008 07:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: I Got Banned, Not Sure Why, Little Help?
Most likely an auto ban from a "Bot" system manager. I wouldn't take it seriously. It happened to a lot of folks here. It happened to me, just last week. It's not like I said anything bad either. Don't worry about it.
 Quoting: mj-13

Oh it was definately a computer generated ban, as it was instant. The poster before you touched on a rivalry going on between the two. I was just trying to find out what, so I don't have this occur again.

Of the router, yes, that's what I do. But it's a bitch for two reasons -

[1] my ISP is a major bitch to release from
[2] my desk is incredibaly customized, and access to devices is, well, a pain in the whazoo.
I am NOT a human !!
Mr. PredictorModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 287257
United States
10/22/2008 07:17 PM

Report Abusive Post
if you have an ayotbam and you can email us the ip that you had when you were banned ... we can clear an autoban very quickly
"If there is a new fascism, it won't come from skinheads and punks; it will come from people who eat granola and think they know how the world should be." - Brian Eno
Chases Tumbleweeds  (OP)

United States
10/22/2008 07:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
if you have an ayotbam and you can email us the ip that you had when you were banned ... we can clear an autoban very quickly
 Quoting: Mr. Predictor

I did, but had no reply in ten hours, so I reset and posted this.

It's no big deal about the ban, just wanted to clarify what happened, so as to avoid it :) Which sems to be the rivalry = bot ban.

Not to worry, this isn't anything of a bitching/ranting ... it's apparent this place isn't ban happy like above*cough*top*cough*secret, lol.
I am NOT a human !!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 531147
United States
10/22/2008 07:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP, what are the steps you took to change you IP, i know you reset it, but it doesn´t work that way for me, i have a dinamic IP, but it depends on the company that provides de IP for me, they asign it for you. If you let me in on how you reset it, i will appreciate it.
 Quoting: True Believer

Turn your cable modem off for an extended period of time say a day or two same goes with router. If you have dsl this also might work.
Chases Tumbleweeds  (OP)

United States
10/22/2008 07:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Turn your cable modem off for an extended period of time say a day or two same goes with router. If you have dsl this also might work.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 531147

This ISP uses "Sticky IP", it's a pain to release/renew. Have to take the router out of the scenario, set the TCP/IP to auto (whereas I run home network using LAN IP's), yadda yadda more crap, hell it's just a pain.

I truly despise this ISP, but I refuse to use DSL when it isn't offered naked, as I don't use a home phone.
I am NOT a human !!
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/22/2008 07:52 PM
Report Abusive Post

This ISP uses "Sticky IP", it's a pain to release/renew. Have to take the router out of the scenario, set the TCP/IP to auto (whereas I run home network using LAN IP's), yadda yadda more crap, hell it's just a pain.

I truly despise this ISP, but I refuse to use DSL when it isn't offered naked, as I don't use a home phone.
 Quoting: Chases Tumbleweeds

Not necesarily. Use change mac addy and host name for wan port on router. But do this only after you have turned your modem off first then change router then turn modem on. That will report to cablem modem different mac addy connected to it.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/22/2008 07:53 PM
Report Abusive Post

Not necesarily. Use change mac addy and host name for wan port on router. But do this only after you have turned your modem off first then change router then turn modem on. That will report to cablem modem different mac addy connected to it.

You can change mac and host name in router settings page. Usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
Chases Tumbleweeds  (OP)

United States
10/22/2008 08:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

Not following your concept on that one. (not the "what or where", but the "what to do" that you are saying).

Change the MAC to, what?
I am NOT a human !!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 454393
United States
10/22/2008 11:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
My sandwich is settling in now, thanks. I didn't think it would, but come on!
aaron_o.o

User ID: 513816
United States
10/22/2008 11:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
still pisses me off that i have had 2 accounts deleted in the past. FUCK THE FUCKING FUCKER THAT DID THIS. THIS AND RENAMED MY OLD ACCOUNT, resorting to name calling.. stupid dumb shit god damn mother fucker that did it
"God" said, let us make man in our image.. IMPLYING genetic hybridization
"I awoke only to find, that the rest of the world was still asleep"
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/23/2008 02:03 AM
Report Abusive Post

Not following your concept on that one. (not the "what or where", but the "what to do" that you are saying).

Change the MAC to, what?

[link to kbserver.netgear.com]

No Internet With New Router, Computer, or Adapter: MAC Spoofing

This document is relevant if you had an Internet connection, but lost it when:

* Adding a router to your network, or
* Using a different Ethernet adapter card or computer than the one your ISP used during installation.

Use ISP Configuration to see whether you need to "spoof a MAC address" to connect to your ISP. If so, follow the instructions in this document.

If the Ethernet card that was used during ISP installation is not available, you may need to register the new Ethernet card's MAC address with your ISP for the following to work.

MAC address stands for Media Access Control address (not "Macintosh computer"!), a unique number built into modems, routers and other network hardware. It ensures that one piece of equipment is not mistaken for another one. Some ISPs validate your connection by checking the MAC address of the Ethernet adapter in computer that was registered during ISP installation. If you add a router or change computer or Ethernet adapter, these ISPs will drop your Internet connection, because they find the MAC address of the newly added router or adapter, instead of the one they expect.

To fix this, change the router to report the Ethernet adapter's MAC, instead of its own. This is called "spoofing the MAC address".

To find a PC's or Macintosh's MAC address, see How to Find an Adapter's MAC address.

To Spoof a MAC Address

1. Connect the computer that your ISP's installers used to establish Internet connection to the router.

If you are unsure which computer was used, call your ISP, and ask what MAC address was registered. Then, using the instructions in the box below find the computer whose MAC address matches their records.

2. Disconnect other computers from the router.

(If you do not want to disconnect other computers, you need to know the adapter's MAC address, as described in the box below. Then, in step 6, type Use This MAC Address, entering the adapter's address.)

3. In an Internet browser type the address 192.168.0.1.
4. Type admin for the username, password for the password, and click OK.
5. Go to the Basic Settings > Router Mac Address.
6. Select Use Computer MAC Address.
7. Click Apply. This automatically gives the router the computer's MAC address.
8. Click Test to make sure you are connected. If you are not connected, contact your ISP.

That will should change your cable modems ip. Make sure to turn off cable modem while you are doing this when router is all setup turn it back on.

If this fails it is because your isp uses hostname instead of mac address to keep track.

But try this first most isps use (media access control)=mac addresses to keep track of things connected to their cable or dsl modems.
Chases Tumbleweeds  (OP)

United States
10/23/2008 03:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
MAC Spoofing

ok, I see what you are talking about now.

My ISP doesn't care what MAC the router clones. Oddly enough, cloning is a force issue, as to use the router MAC gets no connection. I inquired a tech about this, he said the modem is hardocoded via the ISP to detect a router, and will not address it, it has to be the MAC of a NIC.

The 'Sticky IP' goes as far as the modem. Cloning a different MAC of another PC on the LAN is moot, I can do that all day long and still retain the same IP.

My only ooption has been to release and bypass the router, set the TCP/IP to auto, reset the modem, then obtain a new IP. Once that is done, the router is put back in the scenario, TCP/IP back to LAN - the same IP that I just obtained via the NIC as auto-obtain is still in the modem, and then becomes the IP the router is addressed.

My shift key is tired now, lol.

Thanks
I am NOT a human !!
Disturbed

User ID: 374025
Netherlands
10/23/2008 03:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
you probably already tried this, but doesn't the ip change when you go in commandprompt and type:

ipconfig/ release
ipconfig/ renew

?
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/23/2008 03:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
MAC Spoofing

ok, I see what you are talking about now.

My ISP doesn't care what MAC the router clones. Oddly enough, cloning is a force issue, as to use the router MAC gets no connection. I inquired a tech about this, he said the modem is hardocoded via the ISP to detect a router, and will not address it, it has to be the MAC of a NIC.

The 'Sticky IP' goes as far as the modem. Cloning a different MAC of another PC on the LAN is moot, I can do that all day long and still retain the same IP.

My only ooption has been to release and bypass the router, set the TCP/IP to auto, reset the modem, then obtain a new IP. Once that is done, the router is put back in the scenario, TCP/IP back to LAN - the same IP that I just obtained via the NIC as auto-obtain is still in the modem, and then becomes the IP the router is addressed.

My shift key is tired now, lol.

Thanks

Wonder how it detects it. Sounds like a hostname issue. Well what works for you works for you I just hate to see you have to put your pc in the line of fire like that if only for a few seconds.
Chases Tumbleweeds  (OP)

United States
10/23/2008 03:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
ipconfig/ release
ipconfig/ renew
 Quoting: Disturbed

Nope, not if I am connected via the router.

Bypass router, PC to modem, the release if effective.

It's a very dictorial ISP, lol.
My belief is that it is their way of causing problems with LAN users, making it a bitch. They don't support LAN wahtsoever. Which, really, is a redundant concept - if I had 300 PC's on a LAN, the available bandwidth will never change, it would just be 300 rrrrreally slow connections, heh.
I am NOT a human !!
Chases Tumbleweeds  (OP)

United States
10/23/2008 04:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wonder how it detects it ..........

pc in the line of fire

Tech didn't know how either, he just knows it is done at the modem vendor, for the ISP.

I have thought about buying my own modem, but jeez, seems every 6 months this damn ISP changes protocols, and people end up with more paperweights.

Just wait until I post about the WAN LED on the router being in a constant state of activity with this damn thing, not to mention killing 40% of my allowed downstream. It's not the router, nor the PC's, nor my config - it only happens with this ISP, and only if using a router.

Is ok on the security, I still run a software firewall even with the router, I like to control what apps are allowed a connection.

I am NOT a human !!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 459297
United Kingdom
10/23/2008 04:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
I was banned linking to that site once. I found it from google. I don't know why they do that.

They shove anybody linking to that site in the gas_oven. Nice of them don't you think? I have complained about it before. Sick sense of humour.

GLP