PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008

Turtles Know
User ID: 560375
United States
03/30/2009 09:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008
WASHINGTON DC – Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) published documents online showing that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed 95 percent of the adoptable pets in its care during 2008. Despite years of public outrage over its euthanasia program, the animal rights group kills an average of 5.8 pets every day at its Norfolk, VA headquarters.

According to public records from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, PETA killed 2,124 pets last year and placed only seven in adoptive homes. Since 1998, a total of 21,339 dogs and cats have died at the hands of PETA workers.

Despite having a $32 million budget, PETA does not operate an adoption shelter. PETA employees make no discernible effort to find homes for the thousands of pets they kill every year. Last year, the Center for Consumer Freedom petitioned Virginia’s State Veterinarian to reclassify PETA as a slaughterhouse.

CCF Research Director David Martosko said: “PETA hasn’t slowed down its hypocritical killing machine one bit, but it keeps browbeating the rest of society with a phony ‘animal rights’ message. What about the rights of the thousands of dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens that die in PETA’s headquarters building?”

Martosko added: “Since killing pets is A-OK with PETA, why should anyone listen to their demands about eating meat, using lab rats for medical research, or taking children to the circus?”

CCF obtained PETA’s “Animal Record” filings since 1998 from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Members of the public can see these documents at PetaKillsAnimals.com.

In addition to exposing PETA’s hypocritical record of killing defenseless animals, the Center for Consumer Freedom has publicized the animal rights group’s ties to violent activists, and shed light on its aggressive message-marketing to children.

The Center for Consumer Freedom is a nonprofit coalition supported by restaurants, food companies, and consumers, working together to promote personal responsibility and protect consumer choices.

For media comment, contact our media department at 202-463-7112 ext. 115
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 11:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 500739
United States
03/30/2009 11:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
W O W
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 631297
United States
03/30/2009 11:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
Only found 7 a home? WTF
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 646094
United States
03/30/2009 11:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
The people at PETA hate animals. They don't want people to eat them, wear their skins or fur or keep them as pets. Their ultimate agenda is to eliminate all association between people and animals.
mercury2

User ID: 619034
United States
03/30/2009 12:03 PM

Report Abusive Post
The people at PETA hate animals. They don't want people to eat them, wear their skins or fur or keep them as pets. Their ultimate agenda is to eliminate all association between people and animals.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 646094

I used to be a PETA member and was very vocal about the mistreatment of animals for many years. I still really care about animals and feel really sorry for them and think our treatment of them is one of the weakest points of our civilization.

But I think you summed it up nicely, PETA won't acknowledge that animals and people are capable of having a beautiful and mutually beneficial relationship.

I think when you train animals to their highest level of achievement, for instance horses in dressage at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, you give them a great gift of increasing the meaning and quality of their life.

Anyone who could look at a tradition like that and see abuse, cruelty and exploitation, has pieces missing, in my opinion.

However I sure wish there were more examples to point to of the highest level of interaction between animals and man. Animals like to have something to do! They get bored and benefit from training, like the performing SuperDogs which are all owned by individuals, in private homes.

I can't stand confinement farming and the way slaughterhouses and shipping conditions are today. I have been a vegetarian since I was a kid, but not a vegan. Who knows I might eat meat if things were done a lot differently than they are.
mercury2

United States
03/30/2009 12:07 PM

Report Abusive Post
WASHINGTON DC – . . . . Despite years of public outrage over its euthanasia program, the animal rights group kills an average of 5.8 pets every day at its Norfolk, VA headquarters.

Despite having a $32 million budget, PETA does not operate an adoption shelter. PETA employees make no discernible effort to find homes for the thousands of pets they kill every year.

What about the rights of the thousands of dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens that die in PETA’s headquarters building?”

Quoting: Turtles Know 560375

If they don't operate a shelter (which they should - they should have a chain of no-kill shelters and free spay neuter clinics with that kind of budget) then how do all those animals end up at their headquarters? Do people dump them?

If people dump them there and haven't stopped in all these years, then why doesn't PETA make some move to accomodate it and open a shelter, or fund someone else's shelter?

It would suck to have thousands of unwanted animals dumped on your doorstep, but if anyone ever "asked for it", PETA certainly did.

Their refusal to take responsibility is ugly . . .
WomanInBlack

User ID: 605548
Canada
03/30/2009 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can't stand confinement farming and the way slaughterhouses and shipping conditions are today. I have been a vegetarian since I was a kid, but not a vegan. Who knows I might eat meat if things were done a lot differently than they are.
 Quoting: mercury2

Well said, I feel the same. I simply cannot eat anything with hormones and such in it.
We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people.

Les Ruines De La Modernité-Pendaison De L'Humanité
mercury2

United States
03/30/2009 12:26 PM

Report Abusive Post
Why doesn't PETA operate shelters and sanctuaries?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 646094

Maybe they just hate people?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
WASHINGTON DC – . . . . Despite years of public outrage over its euthanasia program, the animal rights group kills an average of 5.8 pets every day at its Norfolk, VA headquarters.

Despite having a $32 million budget, PETA does not operate an adoption shelter. PETA employees make no discernible effort to find homes for the thousands of pets they kill every year.

What about the rights of the thousands of dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens that die in PETA’s headquarters building?”

If they don't operate a shelter (which they should - they should have a chain of no-kill shelters and free spay neuter clinics with that kind of budget) then how do all those animals end up at their headquarters? Do people dump them?

If people dump them there and haven't stopped in all these years, then why doesn't PETA make some move to accomodate it and open a shelter, or fund someone else's shelter?

It would suck to have thousands of unwanted animals dumped on your doorstep, but if anyone ever "asked for it", PETA certainly did.

Their refusal to take responsibility is ugly . . .

They certainly have the funds to set up no-kill shelters, but I think like one of the posters said, they want no relationship between people and animals.

Seems like an oxymoron to call themselves ethical and then killing animals.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

Question of the day, huh?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 646314
Australia
03/30/2009 06:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
I bet the pets they kill end up at your local zetatalk cult retreats as part of the camp menu.
Gradient
Get over yourself

User ID: 636309
United States
03/30/2009 06:27 PM

Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Turtles Know

Best question ever!

Last Edited by Gradient on 03/30/2009 06:27 PM
coexistt

glptrainer(at)yahoo.com
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
I bet the pets they kill end up at your local zetatalk cult retreats as part of the camp menu.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 646314

Ewwww! I wouldn't have killed my dog, but that's me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 601435
United States
03/30/2009 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Martosko added: “Since killing pets is A-OK with PETA, why should anyone listen to their demands about eating meat, using lab rats for medical research, or taking children to the circus?”

Eggzactly...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

Best question ever!
 Quoting: Gradient

flower
Halloran

User ID: 646344
United States
03/30/2009 06:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Link?
"It can be held certain that information that is withheld or suppressed contains truths that are detrimental to the persons involved in the suppression."
~ J. Edgar Hoover
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
Report Abusive Post

Eggzactly...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 601435

I have to agree.
picesnator

User ID: 639746
United States
Report Abusive Post

it doesn't fit their polictical agenda.....
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Link?
 Quoting: Halloran

Damn, let me find it. I posted this this morning.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's one, not where I found it this morning, but ...
[link to primebuzz.kcstar.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Another [link to www.consumerfreedom.com]

Can't find the one from the morning. tantrum
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: picesnator

Evidently not. tissue
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 589518
Australia
03/30/2009 06:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

Evidently not. tissue
 Quoting: Turtles Know

PETA leaders are on the record as saying they want to see domesticated animal species go extinct.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

Evidently not. tissue

PETA leaders are on the record as saying they want to see domesticated animal species go extinct.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 589518

:himsaidwha:
Enaid

User ID: 515273
United States
03/30/2009 06:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
That is terrible! Makes me feel like cursing like a sailor. gggrrrrr.....
Personal responsibility - try it sometime. Quit blaming others for your bad choices. Consequences happen.

:enaid11:
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 06:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
That is terrible! Makes me feel like cursing like a sailor. gggrrrrr.....
 Quoting: Enaid

Hard to make sense of, isn't it? All those animal lovers and animal rescuers giving money to PETA.
AsperGirl

User ID: 637830
United States
03/30/2009 07:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
horrible
bump
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
03/30/2009 07:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
One more bump....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 476405
United States
03/30/2009 08:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
I am no fan of PETA, but that article sounds like bullshit to me. Just about anything from a corporate front group like Center for Consumer Freedom should be assumed to be filled with half-truths and distortions. That is what they get paid for - why would you expect them to tell the truth?

Do you have any FACTUAL references for this that were NOT written by high paid propagandists? Any idea of the context of this bullshit? No - of course not. They strung together a series of words that they knew would get you to react - and you played right along. Thus, we see the reason for the state of things in this country. They know exactly how to manipulate us - and too few of us know how to see through it.

I realize it can be fun to spread lies other people were paid to make you believe, but in the end, it just makes you look like a fool.

Sorry.

GLP