04/02/2009 09:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Mysterious Big Black Cat Sightings in NY Suburb
Apr 2, 2009 1:29 pm US/Eastern

Mystery Of Big Black Cat Deepens In NY Suburb

Number Of Black Cat Sightings On The Rise Near State Park

'Suspicious Animal Sightings' Signs Posted Around Rockland County

Mysterious big black cats are scaring residents of Rockland County, N.Y. Wildlife experts aren't sure what they are, or how they got there.

Halloween is long gone. So what's up with the black cat
sightings near New York's Tallman Mountain State Park?

Signs posted around the Rockland County park warn the public about "Suspicious Animal Sightings."

Other sightings were reported in the hamlet of Palisades. One was in a driveway. Two were in a backyard.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation says wild cat sightings often turn out to be a large dog, coyote or bobcat.

Orangetown police are increasing patrols. State park police have installed cameras to snap pictures of passing animals.

These are described as sleek, long-tailed, black felines. They're larger than mid-size dogs.

No regional zoos, veterinarians or residents have reported a missing large cat.

[link to wcbstv.com]
The Jurist

User ID: 647827
United States
04/02/2009 09:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Mysterious Big Black Cat Sightings in NY Suburb
hiding
`
(Be) Divide(ed) and (be) Conquer(ed)...

Don’t listen to what they say, watch what they do.

~There is Tranquility in Ignorance, but Servitude is its Partner. —me
~What luck for Rulers that Men do not Think. —Adolf Hitler

:damned: Doom is optional. There is good news abounds.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 643814
United States
04/02/2009 09:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to wcbstv.com]

Video Report with witnesses at link
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/02/2009 09:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Any knowledgeable GLPer opinions on the pawprint shown in the video?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/02/2009 09:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mar 20, 2009 6:44 am US/Eastern

Mysterious Big Black Cats Shock Rockland County

Father, Son Not First To Tell Of Harrowing Experience With

Massive Feline: "Had 3-Foot Tail, Was 4-5 Feet Long"

Large Cats Like Jaguars, Panthers Not Native To Tri-State

Reporting
Tony Aiello

Mysterious big black cats are scaring residents of Rockland County, N.Y. Wildlife experts aren't sure what they are, or how they got there.

First it was mysterious sonic booms in the
northern suburbs. Now it's mystery cats, big exotic-looking felines spotted in the woods of Rockland County.

Two of the spotters spoke with CBS 2 HD.

It started out like any other bike ride for Dorian Tunell and his 8-year-old son, Evan.

But the fun quickly turned to fear.

"I was just like paralyzed, and then my dad told me to run to the road, where that rock line is," Evan said.

Evan and his dad got the scare of their lives Tuesday when they spotted two huge black cats in the woods near Tallman Mountain State Park.

"This thing had a three-foot tail on it, body was four or five feet long, stood three feet tall. It was a large cat," Dorian said.

They said the cat looked like a jaguar -- with shiny dark fur.

The Tunells ran from the park and called police. Then they helped park rangers locate what look to be paw prints -- and nearby -- a lot of fur.

Either a deer was shedding or it ended up as lunch for a big cat.

This is just the latest in a series of big-cat sightings in this part of Rockland County. Not long ago a woman reported seeing big cats right along the Palisades Parkway.

Since big cats aren't native to the area, where did they come from?

Tony Gerard lives nearby, and posed that question to wildlife officials.

"They could have been raised in captivity somewhere and then escaped or were released when they got too big to handle," Gerard said.

"They just escaped from somewhere or somebody has really weird pets and let them go," Evan Tunell said.

Wildlife agencies said it needs more investigation, but the Tunells are convinced something is out there -- and they hope it's found before someone gets hurt.

New York State Park Police said extra staff has been sent to Tallman Mountain to look into the cat sightings.

[link to wcbstv.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/02/2009 09:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Big Black Cat Sightings: NY Black Cat Mystery
By Maggie M. Thorton

Big Black Cat sightings in New York State are escalating. Those have seen the animal say it is definitely not a large house cat. Speculations are rampant as reports of Big Black Cats crossing highways, running along the highway, in the State’s Tallman National Park, and of most concern, in neighborhood backyards where children may be, keep rolling in.

Big Black Cat Sightings

The cats are described as be 4′ to 5′ in length, supporting a 3′ long tail. We might think a pranking is in the works, but in New York’s Rockland County Park, the reports are taken seriously. Signs are posted warning the public of “Suspicious Animal Sightings.” “In the hamlet of Palisades,” one Big Black Cat was seen in a private drive and two in the backyard of the home. In Orangetown, police increased patrols, and cameras have been installed in State Parks.

Included in the Big Black Cat category are Panthers, Cougars, Mountain Lions, Pumas and Jaguars. One region of the world may refer to a black Cougar as a Panther. In another region, a black Jaguar may be called a Leopard. It gets confusing as reports come in. If a sighter is not a wildlife expert, these felines are virtually unidentifiable unless caught and examined. Experts tend to believe that black cougars do not exist anywhere in the world.

The State of Florida has a designated Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge. Under the auspices of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, The National Park Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Florida has established The Inter-Agency Florida Panther Response Plan, and there is an annual Panther Capture meeting, as well.

Great Britain has a long history of Big Black Cat sightings, and it continues in 2009. A March 19th report from an Edinburgh man says he saw the Cat in a forest. His account is said to be twelfth such sighting. In February, the BBC reports forty sightings in Wales.

Whatever the genus of the Big Black Cats in New York State, these animals are frightening people. You can view a video of the family who recently got the story of the NY Black Cat Mystery in the news.

[link to www.rightpundits.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/02/2009 09:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Black Panther Sited 40 miles from Phoenix

By ELAINE LITTLEFIELD
The Desert Independent

MARICOPA, Arizona – I was sitting by a campfire in the desert, when I first saw a black panther. I couldn’t believe my eyes, when I saw a giant black cat crouched low to the ground slinking towards the nearby road, about 10 feet from where I was sitting. I would estimate it was about 4 feet long, not counting the long tail and was very stealth, lean and muscular. I would guess the weight to be about 40 pounds. My friends around the campfire didn’t see it and I thought I was seeing things. It was surreal, like in the movie Predator where the being was camouflaged. This black creature was blending into the black of the moonless night and I could barely detect the slow movement. The eyes seemed to glow, with the reflection of the campfire, like a quick glistening. It was in a crouched, stalking position and moving slowly. I tried to get the attention of the friend I was talking with, but he is hearing impaired and I had to get close to him and talk loudly for him to understand what I was trying to tell him. Someone was in the middle of a funny story and no one else was looking in that direction.

This was in January and though I have only seen it once since, resting on a brick wall about thirty feet from me in the afternoon sun, I have since talked to several people in the area about it. To my amazement, they have all seen it several times and described it in different ways. One lady, named Maria Teresa, who was a Catholic Nun and later earned a living as a clairvoyant said she saw a dark evil spirit go into the ground about twenty feet from where I was sleeping one night in February. She left the area for about a week because it scared her. She has since returned and we haven’t spoken of the incident since. She lost two sons in Iraq and one in Afghanistan last year, so she has a lot on her mind. She camps there (in the Sonora Desert), to try to forget this and other tragedies she has endured. Three other people live in the John Wayne RV Park nearby and took it like a grain of salt, because it never acts aggressive and they are used to things like rattlesnakes, tarantulas, packs of wild dogs, coyotes and wolves. These animals stroll through nearly every night. The area is quite rural, the only dense population being the John Wayne Ranch RV Park. They think of it as a normal occurrence, since they live near a mountain range about a hundred miles north of the Mexican border. Apparently black panthers are common in the mountains of northern Mexico.

I have since read that the males can travel up to 39 miles in a day and that when the population becomes too dense the males spread out to new territory.

I mentioned the incident to my Publisher, who thought this would be of interest to you, our readers. He also thought I should contact the Arizona Fish and Game Department, which I will.

According to Wikipedia there is usually only one panther sighting every ten years, in Southern Arizona and the Grand Canyon area and most of these are not alive when found.

The person I was facing, when I saw it and didn’t believe it was a panther got a rude awakening a couple of weeks ago. He left the door to his camper open and woke up face to face with it, about 2 AM. It seemed to be looking for food and just walked away slowly. I am glad that wasn’t my first encounter with it. I have no fear of animals, but waking up with it a few inches from my face, I probably would have been startled and probably would have screamed.

Look for eyewitness interviews in the near future.

If any tracks, photos or videos are discovered, they will be published as an update to this article. I may even spend a night or two trying to photograph the “cat” myself.

[link to www.thedesertinde.com]
Ossiel

User ID: 648881
United States
04/02/2009 09:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is very strange. my father saw a giant cat his backyard on tues night. he is not a man to get easiy agitated but the sight of the cat totally freaked him out. he did not specify what color it was, he just said it was BIG. at least 4 ft high. he lives in se pa south of philadelphia on the delaware border. he wondered if it was some kind of bobcat.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/02/2009 09:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is very strange. my father saw a giant cat his backyard on tues night. he is not a man to get easiy agitated but the sight of the cat totally freaked him out. he did not specify what color it was, he just said it was BIG. at least 4 ft high. he lives in se pa south of philadelphia on the delaware border. he wondered if it was some kind of bobcat.
 Quoting: Ossiel

Fascinating! Did he call in his sighting?

I think I'd wet my pants. Almost did when I came across a bear, and I was in my car, lol. ( I'm wimpy wimpy wimpy, not hefty hefty hefty)
Ossiel

User ID: 648881
United States
04/02/2009 10:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
no, he didn't call anyone or report it but now that you mention it, maybe he should.

he saw it at night. he was in the house and just happened to be looking out of the windows (the back wall is all glass) when he saw the animal casually walk around the pool deck. by the time he got up to try to get a better look, the animal had disappeared. there are small lights around the pool that provided some illumination to the animal. he could tell it was a cat but has no idea what kind it was. he had never seen anything so big in the area.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 648908
Canada
04/02/2009 10:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Might be a good idea to carry a change of underwear if you're gonna be hiking around those parts..
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/02/2009 10:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
no, he didn't call anyone or report it but now that you mention it, maybe he should.

he saw it at night. he was in the house and just happened to be looking out of the windows (the back wall is all glass) when he saw the animal casually walk around the pool deck. by the time he got up to try to get a better look, the animal had disappeared. there are small lights around the pool that provided some illumination to the animal. he could tell it was a cat but has no idea what kind it was. he had never seen anything so big in the area.

Hmm, maybe your dad's yard is part of the cat's regular route. It would be cool if he could hook up a motion detector to turn on a camera and try to get some more pics of it.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/02/2009 10:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Might be a good idea to carry a change of underwear if you're gonna be hiking around those parts..
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 648908

What about a body bag? lol, do they eat people?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 630159
United States
04/02/2009 10:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Bigfoot's cat.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 648773
United States
04/02/2009 10:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
kitty meow meow meow kitty

zombies
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 648908
Canada
04/02/2009 10:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

The animal may have been drawn to the water. My sister got spooked last year when she heard a large animal clumping around on her deck in the dead of night. She was too terrified to peek or turn on a light. I nosed around the next day and found some faint tracks on the ground around the raised pool where I surmised some animal tried unsuccessfully to get a drink. Scuff marks on the deck near the edge of the pool may have been made by the animal lowering itself to drink from the pool. It could have been a young moose or deer looking for water. Though rare, I had recently heard of moose sightings in the area.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 103782
United States
04/02/2009 10:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
April Fools was yesterday lol
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 103782
United States
04/02/2009 10:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
And another thing.

Why isn't this pinned?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 512476
United States
04/02/2009 10:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
That reminds me of about 12 years ago when I was still living in Upstate NY. I was outside the back door and my father's cat was on top of a shed, about 50 feet away, calling to me, I called back to him to come in ,,,, curious as to why he was up there,, He jumped down and ran to the door,,happy to get inside, Then I saw it, There was a Mountain Lion/Cougar sitting near the shed looking at me. I didn't know what it was at the time,,,just that it was a very big cat, I was telling my father and brother to come look,,or look out a window,,,but for some reason they just didn't and were content in telling me that it was just some neighbor's cat, I went into the living room where they were,,,,and was pointing out the window,,,it was now walking into a woodsy part,,,and the silhouette of it was long and sleek,,,very cougarish!!!

I looked it up on the Internet and saw that it was a Mountain Lion and was pointing it out to them,,,,but I know that they did not believe me,,,for there, supposedly, were not to be any around there,,,supposed extinct in the area! Well, at least not till my brother also saw it a couple of weeks later, I also saw it jump near me under some brush,,,saw the hind feet going through the air,,,,very close to me,,
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 649533
United States
04/03/2009 06:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mar 20, 2009 6:44 am US/Eastern

Mysterious Big Black Cats Shock Rockland County

Father, Son Not First To Tell Of Harrowing Experience With

Massive Feline: "Had 3-Foot Tail, Was 4-5 Feet Long"

Large Cats Like Jaguars, Panthers Not Native To Tri-State

Reporting
Tony Aiello

First it was mysterious sonic booms in the
northern suburbs. Now it's mystery cats, big exotic-looking felines spotted in the woods of Rockland County.

Two of the spotters spoke with CBS 2 HD.

It started out like any other bike ride for Dorian Tunell and his 8-year-old son, Evan.

But the fun quickly turned to fear.

"I was just like paralyzed, and then my dad told me to run to the road, where that rock line is," Evan said.

Evan and his dad got the scare of their lives Tuesday when they spotted two huge black cats in the woods near Tallman Mountain State Park.

"This thing had a three-foot tail on it, body was four or five feet long, stood three feet tall. It was a large cat," Dorian said.

They said the cat looked like a jaguar -- with shiny dark fur.

The Tunells ran from the park and called police. Then they helped park rangers locate what look to be paw prints -- and nearby -- a lot of fur.

Either a deer was shedding or it ended up as lunch for a big cat.

This is just the latest in a series of big-cat sightings in this part of Rockland County. Not long ago a woman reported seeing big cats right along the Palisades Parkway.

Since big cats aren't native to the area, where did they come from?

Tony Gerard lives nearby, and posed that question to wildlife officials.

"They could have been raised in captivity somewhere and then escaped or were released when they got too big to handle," Gerard said.

"They just escaped from somewhere or somebody has really weird pets and let them go," Evan Tunell said.

Wildlife agencies said it needs more investigation, but the Tunells are convinced something is out there -- and they hope it's found before someone gets hurt.

New York State Park Police said extra staff has been sent to Tallman Mountain to look into the cat sightings.

[link to wcbstv.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 643814
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 550600
Canada
04/03/2009 11:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 648908

better yet a 357.
Giftedest
User ID: 576059
United States
04/04/2009 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
While I truly believe cougars and/or jaguars (escaped/dumped pets, or otherwise) are being seen all over the country...

That one paw print on the video had 2 distinct pads clearly showing a claw/nail hole at the point of each... that's a dog print.

Probably 'for show', since anyone who knows big cat tracks could spot the nails from a country mile!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 491496
United States
04/04/2009 12:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Loud sonic booms and then weird black cats?

As the actor who played Cliff Claven from "Cheers" once said in some bad horror movie, "Yeah..it looks like you got your basic alternate dimension in there."

Black cats stepping over to OUR SIDE of existence from another place.

If I had a nickel...
panther spotter!!
User ID: 650152
United States
04/04/2009 05:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
I really hate to burst some bubbles, but!! While walking the south trail to rt. 9w, I spotted 1 large coyote on the trail. Upon seeing me, it walked into the woods and defensively watched me as I took a few pictures. Not a panther, ocelot, bobcat, impala, gazelle, lion or a tiger. A coyote....rare in Tallman Mt. State Park, yes. I used to work in that park and never saw 1. I still work in a parks system and am very knowlegeable about most animals. This "mystery" is over for me people, sorry. There are no "black panthers" anywhere in this county, just clueless homeowners who are not well versed in wildlife. And yes the police were contacted. Sorry again all you conspiracy theorists!
panther sighter!!
User ID: 650152
United States
04/04/2009 07:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
And by the way folks.... "black panthers" are not used to 20-30 degree weather in their "natural habitat". And thats what we've had in the past 2 months (when these were sighted). Also, they would leave paw prints (which haven't been found) or droppings(which haven't been found), among other things.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 648995
United States
04/04/2009 08:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Day gotz big black cats in Central Park, yo whaazzup wit dat?
Spirit * Man !
User ID: 643237
United States
04/04/2009 08:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Let more of them come. they will come.

---V---
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 813099
United States
11/07/2009 09:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Black Panther Sited 40 miles from Phoenix

By ELAINE LITTLEFIELD
The Desert Independent

MARICOPA, Arizona – I was sitting by a campfire in the desert, when I first saw a black panther. I couldn’t believe my eyes, when I saw a giant black cat crouched low to the ground slinking towards the nearby road, about 10 feet from where I was sitting. I would estimate it was about 4 feet long, not counting the long tail and was very stealth, lean and muscular. I would guess the weight to be about 40 pounds. My friends around the campfire didn’t see it and I thought I was seeing things. It was surreal, like in the movie Predator where the being was camouflaged. This black creature was blending into the black of the moonless night and I could barely detect the slow movement. The eyes seemed to glow, with the reflection of the campfire, like a quick glistening. It was in a crouched, stalking position and moving slowly. I tried to get the attention of the friend I was talking with, but he is hearing impaired and I had to get close to him and talk loudly for him to understand what I was trying to tell him. Someone was in the middle of a funny story and no one else was looking in that direction.

This was in January and though I have only seen it once since, resting on a brick wall about thirty feet from me in the afternoon sun, I have since talked to several people in the area about it. To my amazement, they have all seen it several times and described it in different ways. One lady, named Maria Teresa, who was a Catholic Nun and later earned a living as a clairvoyant said she saw a dark evil spirit go into the ground about twenty feet from where I was sleeping one night in February. She left the area for about a week because it scared her. She has since returned and we haven’t spoken of the incident since. She lost two sons in Iraq and one in Afghanistan last year, so she has a lot on her mind. She camps there (in the Sonora Desert), to try to forget this and other tragedies she has endured. Three other people live in the John Wayne RV Park nearby and took it like a grain of salt, because it never acts aggressive and they are used to things like rattlesnakes, tarantulas, packs of wild dogs, coyotes and wolves. These animals stroll through nearly every night. The area is quite rural, the only dense population being the John Wayne Ranch RV Park. They think of it as a normal occurrence, since they live near a mountain range about a hundred miles north of the Mexican border. Apparently black panthers are common in the mountains of northern Mexico.

I have since read that the males can travel up to 39 miles in a day and that when the population becomes too dense the males spread out to new territory.

I mentioned the incident to my Publisher, who thought this would be of interest to you, our readers. He also thought I should contact the Arizona Fish and Game Department, which I will.

According to Wikipedia there is usually only one panther sighting every ten years, in Southern Arizona and the Grand Canyon area and most of these are not alive when found.

The person I was facing, when I saw it and didn’t believe it was a panther got a rude awakening a couple of weeks ago. He left the door to his camper open and woke up face to face with it, about 2 AM. It seemed to be looking for food and just walked away slowly. I am glad that wasn’t my first encounter with it. I have no fear of animals, but waking up with it a few inches from my face, I probably would have been startled and probably would have screamed.

Look for eyewitness interviews in the near future.

If any tracks, photos or videos are discovered, they will be published as an update to this article. I may even spend a night or two trying to photograph the “cat” myself.

[link to www.thedesertinde.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 643814
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1151671
United States
11/03/2010 08:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
That reminds me of about 12 years ago when I was still living in Upstate NY. I was outside the back door and my father's cat was on top of a shed, about 50 feet away, calling to me, I called back to him to come in ,,,, curious as to why he was up there,, He jumped down and ran to the door,,happy to get inside, Then I saw it, There was a Mountain Lion/Cougar sitting near the shed looking at me. I didn't know what it was at the time,,,just that it was a very big cat, I was telling my father and brother to come look,,or look out a window,,,but for some reason they just didn't and were content in telling me that it was just some neighbor's cat, I went into the living room where they were,,,,and was pointing out the window,,,it was now walking into a woodsy part,,,and the silhouette of it was long and sleek,,,very cougarish!!!

I looked it up on the Internet and saw that it was a Mountain Lion and was pointing it out to them,,,,but I know that they did not believe me,,,for there, supposedly, were not to be any around there,,,supposed extinct in the area! Well, at least not till my brother also saw it a couple of weeks later, I also saw it jump near me under some brush,,,saw the hind feet going through the air,,,,very close to me,,
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 512476
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1136949
United States
12/08/2010 10:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Across the pond:

Pet owner spots 'big cat' roaming during daylight near home

This latest sighting brings the total to almost 50 in the past eight years.

Described by most people as a black sleek creature, it is believed to most likely be a melanistic leopard, commonly referred to as a black panther.

The most recent sighting was on Friday, November 19, on land off New Street, Measham.

Twenty-six-year-old Alex Lloyd was alerted by the barking of his rottweiler and his next-door neighbour's dog.

He told the Herald: "At around 2pm suddenly both dogs started barking. They don't usually bark at each other so I went to see what was happening.

"Part of the national forest runs alongside our garden and I realised they were barking at something they had seen. I thought it was someone out walking, but then suddenly a big cat ran across, about 10 metres away.

"It just bounded along this pathway in the grass. It was about the same size as my rottweiler but it was not a dog, you could tell by the way it ran.

[link to www.thisistamworth.co.uk]
User ID: 20901
United States
12/08/2010 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
I love kitties.

.. kitty

GLP